2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Proud of Mexico.

That Mexican guy making all those corner kicks really killed it though. Props to the Dutch ppl too though...I think Netherlands might have the best strikers. Sneijder is probably smoking a big fatty right now.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
To those who play fifa, Huntelaar got an international MOTM card for scoring that penalty, not Robben ROFL

Why Robben? He may have won the penalty but Huntelaar both scored the penalty as well as gave the assist to Sneidjer's goal

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So i got thinking... how well would a hypothetical team made of purely players whose countries didn't make the world cup do?

Seems to me they coudl actually be legitimate contenders, with a squad looking something like
cech
piszczek/benatia/ivanovic/alaba
ramsey/matic
bale/mkhitaryan/turan
Ibrahimovic

With lewandowski coming off the bench (might be able to tweak it to get him in, not sure best way to go about doing this though...)

anyone have any suggestions on other ways to build the team or thoughts on how strong they'd be?

HBK

Why Robben? He may have won the penalty but Huntelaar both scored the penalty as well as gave the assist to Sneidjer's goal
He constantly threatened the Mexican defense and was their best player imo.

So i got thinking... how well would a hypothetical team made of purely players whose countries didn't make the world cup do?

Seems to me they coudl actually be legitimate contenders, with a squad looking something like
cech
piszczek/benatia/ivanovic/alaba
ramsey/matic
bale/mkhitaryan/turan
Ibrahimovic

With lewandowski coming off the bench (might be able to tweak it to get him in, not sure best way to go about doing this though...)

anyone have any suggestions on other ways to build the team or thoughts on how strong they'd be?
Hamsik over Mkhitaryan and Handanovic over Cech for me, honorable mentions to Eriksen and Subotic.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
It's only been 10 days since the summer started and the press is already full of Di Maria leaving Real Madrid rumours (will this ever end smh). Apparently he would be sold for 50 million or exchanged for James Rodriguez. I don't know if it's true (questionable) but I think it would be a mistake as he's been key for Madrid this season.

I've already voiced my concern about him. The £23m price-tag is what bothers me. We paid £23m for Suarez! If we're going to spend a significant portion of our transfer budget on one player, he has to be more than a squad player and I don't see Lallana being more than that.

We should be aiming for a player like Alexis Sanchez. Arsenal and Man Utd are also interested but United can't offer Champions League football while Arsenal have Walcott who is very similar.

I think it's a good signing for Liverpool. Lallana is clearly a gifted footballer who has also grown in confidence over the last year. He is more of a mid than a winger but he can play either position and that could work to Liverpool's advantage with added competition for Coutinho. It's just good to have that extra player with creativity in the team who can also finish and defend from the front. I think the price is right for him in today's market. Don't forget Suarez was a bit of an unknown when he first signed, he hadn't proven himself anywhere but Ajax and nobody knew him until the World Cup, so £24m for him was a bit of a gamble when big stars were only going for £30m. Suarez just turned out to be an amazing signing and well worth it in the end!

HBK

Good signing for Liverpool despite not being very cost effective. Lallana is a great dribbler with an eye for a pass and a good crosser. He's no Gerrard or Lampard when it comes to goals but he is only going to get better. He'll be good competition for Countinho and certainly more consistent. They're still a quality left back and center back away from being solid favorites for a top four finish though. In other news, Kroos has agreed to sign for Real Madrid which might pave the way for Chelsea to sign Khedira. And speaking of Chelsea, the Diego Costa deal is FINALLY official, as is the re signing of former Blues midfielder, Tiago on a free transfer from Atletico. Mouinho is also trying lure Luis to Stamford Bridge and the player is keen on a move too so all that remains on that front is for Chelsea to agree a fee with the Spanish champions. He will reportedly cost us €19 million. I understand why the player would want to join Chelsea; firstly, he knows that Atletico will be unable to sustain the success that they achieved last season so he'll have to leave in search of more silverware and secondly, he's 28 and this might be his only chance to sign for a "big club" where he can earn more. But why does Mourinho want him? €19 million is too much for a 28 year old and there are other left backs who are available in the market for less and are just as good if not better.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
There's no way Barcelona would on their right minds let Sanchez go after that WC performance.
This transfer rumor only has credit to begin with because Neymar is dicking around with Pedro and Sanchez's spot in the 3-man attack along with Messi, and Barcelona feel obliged to entertain him considering they paid the Nigerian bounty for him.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After today's US game any thoughts on where some of the young american players will be next year? Yedlin looked very good and is probably ready to move to europe somewhere, the big hole in his game ATM seems to be relying too much on his pace to recover, which is something that he can probably get away with in the mls, so needs to get elsewhere.... And i assume Green goes on loan somewhere, but i dont have a clue where he might be at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)