[2013] Chansey (QC 1/2)

[OVERVIEW]

-it’s just like Blissey except bulkier.
-Can’t utilize items due to eviolite, which really sucks.
-Much harder to use in VGC, but still a good Pokemon.

[SET]
name: Special Wall
move 1: Toxic
move 2: Softboiled
move 3: Seismic Toss
move 4: Protect / Minimize
item: Eviolite
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Bold
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
-classic annoying special wall.
-Chansey has better defenses than Blissey, so it basically does the same thing Blissey does except better.
-The only negative aspect of Chansey is its inability to utilize an item due to eviolite. This means it can't use chople berry or leftovers, while Blissey can.
-Set is exactly the same as Blissey's.
-Toxic does damage.
-Softboiled to heal and stall with toxic.
-Seismic Toss to damage steel types, and prevent Chansey from being locked into struggle after a taunt.
-protect to avoid fighting attacks, and also to stall with toxic.
-Minimize can be used in place of protect to REALLY make your opponent want to ragequit. It is a viable move on Chansey due to its extreme bulk. Although it relies on luck, it can potentially protect Chansey from fighting attacks that would normally kill it.
-Stalling is very hard to do in VGC, but is still possible.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

-4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD provides a 13% increase to special bulk at the expense of 9% physical bulk when compared to a 252 HP / 252 Def / SpD. Chansey will still survive an unboosted Adamant max Atk Close Combat from Hitmontop. However, if you want as much physical bulk as possible, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD is still a viable set.
-Chansey is a huge threat to rain teams, since they rely mainly on strong special attacks.

-Chansey can totally destroy special attackers, as long as its teammate can deal with physical attackers for it.
-Intimidate users such as Hitmontop, Gyarados, Salamence, and Arcanine are great partners for weakening opposing physical attackers.
-Follow me/Rage Powder users such as Amoongus, Volcarona, and Togekiss are also great.
-Sableye, Dusclops, and Dusknoir can render Chansey's arch nemeses completely useless with Will-O-Wisp.
-Latios and Reuniclus can destroy all the fighting types that Chansey hates.
-Prankster Taunt users like Whimsicott and Thundurus can shut down opposing taunt users that could potentially cause trouble for Chansey.
-Reflect users, especially Cresselia since it can also damage opposing fighting types.
-Shuckle can use Guard Split to boost Chansey's Def, making it nearly unstoppable.

[Other Options]
-Moves such as Charge Beam+Serene Grace or Calm mind are viable in singles, but with the VGC timer Chansey is unlikely to have the time to set up. The timer can also work in Chansey's favor, however, if your goal is to stall out your opponents.
-Counter, although no chople berry makes this hard.
-Icy Wind
-Substitute with huge HP stat.
-Charm, can be very useful for physical threats.
-Thunder Wave (not good with Toxic)
-Helping Hand
-Heal Pulse
-Sing
-Light Screen
-Gravity
-Healer is sooooo much better than Natural Cure, but is unfortunately illegal with Seismic Toss, and, unless you want to be walled by Steels and taunted to death, you should have Seismic Toss.
-Rock slide. Paralyze opponents, send out Chansey with Serene Grace and another rock slide user, and paraflinch your opponent to death.

[Checks and Counters]

-Physical fighting types
-Chansey takes physical attacks much better than Blissey with an eviolite-boosted defense. However, it is still notably weaker on the physical side, so physical attackers will be able to do a lot more damage to it.
-Especialy physical steel types, since they are not damaged by toxic.
-Taunt users
-Gengar
-Since its goal is to stall, perish song can be a problem.

[Unreleased]

Ive heard that 4hp / 252 def / 252 Sp.def bold is bulkier on the special side a lot more at the cost of little physical bulk

Thanks, fixed that.

Ready for QC!

EDIT: bluemon, really? I thought you never wanted SpD or Def investment without any HP :O
I'll look into that...

breh

強いだね
now that OO exists, I'll say that at the very end, you should mention rock slide with a blissey teammate.

Essentially, if you para a lot of mons (with thundurus, for example) and then send out chansey / blissey, they will sloooooowly kill whatever they are pitted against if its opponents do not have leftovers. With double rock slides, serene grace, and paralysis, the chance of an opponent moving is some stupidly tiny chance I can't remember for the life of me.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks, fixed that.

Ready for QC!

EDIT: bluemon, really? I thought you never wanted SpD or Def investment without any HP :O
I'll look into that...
That's usually the case, except for times when your HP stat is more than twice your Defensive stat. 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD provides roughly a 13% increase to special bulk at the expense of 9% physical. But then again, since Chansey is nearly indestructable from Special Attacks regardless of investment, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD isn't necessarily a bad EV spread for Chansey.

I have to agree with R Inanimate, I never really understood why 252 HP/252 Def is so popular. 252 Def/252 SpDef seems like it would provide a larger boost percentage wise, but they are both completely viable EV sets.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
And now for a few other things:

-Due to Eviolite, Chansey actually can take non-fighting moves pretty well, so I've found that it doesn't necessarily need to run Protect at all. Besides, if you need to stall, spamming Softboiled is usually enough to get the job done. Then again I'm not sure what else it could use here

-move Minimize to AC, a minimizing Chansey becomes extremely difficult to take out unless you have some strong physical fighting, and some luck

-add Sub to OO

-Probably one of the biggest issues for Chansey is not a Pokemon itself, but rather the timer on VGC matches, as it is very unlikely to take out its opponents before the timer runs out, this can either be a good thing or a very bad thing. This should be mentioned somewhere in the analysis. If it wasn't for time restraints, I'd probably suggest Charge Beam or Calm Mind as potential options

-as stated earlier, non-fighting physical attacks don't do all that much to Chansey. For example, Meteor Mash from Metagross does 38-45% to 0/252 Bold Chansey. And that isn't even enough to outdo Softboiled's recovery without an attack boost. So without Fighting attacks, you will need to throw everything you've got if you want to have a chance at KOing Chansey.

-speaking of Metagross, I'd say that physical steel types are still a bit better off than most, since they at least can't be poisoned.

-as Chansey is one of those Pokemon that KOs slowly, and tries to go for a one man stand, Perish Song is a good way to check/counter it.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
-Due to Eviolite, Chansey actually can take non-fighting moves pretty well, so I've found that it doesn't necessarily need to run Protect at all. Besides, if you need to stall, spamming Softboiled is usually enough to get the job done. Then again I'm not sure what else it could use here
Minimise perhaps instead of the AC mention? Or Counter?

Could also mention Light Screen in OO. Chansey may not need it, but her teammate will love it when considering that all your opponent's special attacks will be aimed at the teammate (as aiming at Chansey won't do much).

You should also mention that a helpful teammate is one with Reflect, such as Cresselia (who also hits Fighting-types that threaten Chansey super-effectively with STAB Psychic).

Also, you need to remove dual screens from OO, because Chansey cannot learn Reflect.

Whew, finally caught up on this XD
I added ALL suggestions made. (Don't want to list all of them...)

And now for a few other things:

-Due to Eviolite, Chansey actually can take non-fighting moves pretty well, so I've found that it doesn't necessarily need to run Protect at all. Besides, if you need to stall, spamming Softboiled is usually enough to get the job done. Then again I'm not sure what else it could use here.
The main reason I added protect was because Chansey can't use Chople berry, so it is actually OHKOed by fighting moves unlike Blissey. However, if you think it's really not worth it, I can definitely replace it, or slash another move before/after. I guess minimize would be the most useful move then?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
A Fighting Gem Close Combat will OHKO Chansey, but otherwise it can take a hit if it is at full HP. Though it will do well over half its HP so you can't just Softboiled Spam to get around it.

I'd say that you can put Minimize into the main set, probably behind protect. It's not too difficult to set up Minimize, but it's also not necessary to have against most opponents. Protect has more value when you have to take out an opponent Fighting-type, that is threatening Chansey, with your partner.

After that, I think you've covered the analysis nicely.
QC 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)