2013 Smogon Fantasy Hockey

I just would like to say that I would've made the playoffs if my best players weren't injured for the majority of the season. I've already said what I wanted to say about changes in the other thread, but if nothing changes then I have no desire to quit.

We could actually play for cash as well.

1st place regular season = 15% (or 0, whatever, I think 1st place in the regular season deserves something because that's more of a sign of the best team than random luck in the playoffs)
3rd place playoffs = 15%
2nd place playoffs = 20%
1st place playoffs = 50%

I just arbitrarily picked those numbers. I feel like the regular season champ should get something for being consistent throughout the year. Especially since winning in the playoffs relies more on luck than getting 1st place after 20-something weeks. Plus, if you get 1st in both you'd end up with 65% of the winnings. Whatever though. Cash, no cash, different percentages, etc. I'd be down with anything because I'm honestly quite bored of everything hockey related.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i'm down for playing for cashola

don't care too much about buy ins / pay out percentages, you guys can deal with that

but if we are ok with yahoo pay leagues then i am fine with yahoo's structure + an extra 100 for the winner (bs yahoo taking a clean 100 from the top)

so basically yahoo is currently 100 buy in 600 / 360 / 140 payout, we can do it 100 buy in 700 / 360 / 140 buy out

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Obviously my performances have been subpar recently and I'm not gonna come here and say I gave an honest effort or whatever because I didn't. But that doesn't mean I'm not still a capable fantasy player, if you look at my yahoo profile you will see that I came in first (both in reg season and playoffs) this year in my other hockey pool which was for money and I took it very seriously, and I also won my basketball pool this year.

My issue was a) I don't talk to you guys as much as I used to, so the competitive nature was lost a bit (this is really one of my few ties left to smogon other than a few key friends and I don't really see that changing) and b) it was really hard to improve - I was asking around for trades already with next years keepers in mind but really the market was dry. The effort it was going to take to improve was not worth it. There was one year that I was so busy I never checked the pool at all (the first year I came in last) and since then it's been an uphill battle trying to make do with my keepers / notably my goalie situation. Motivation was at an all time low.

Where to go from here? If you guys have someone in mind that you really want to be in the league but have no room for I will gladly step aside and let others play. I would also be down for a money league as I trust myself enough to compete, but only if we drastically reduced the number of keepers (like 1 per position) or started clean. If you want to continue as we've been going that's also fine by me, my say shouldn't be loudest but I'm probably expendable at that point, especially considering my ties to smogon. I'll let you guys decide, just thought I should update y'all.

Whatever happens, it's been fun playing with you guys, especially those first few years.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I actually agree with Justin about the whole reward #1 in season thing. If we do 100 buy in each,

does $150 for 1st in regular season, $150 for 3rd in playoffs, $300 for 2nd playoffs, and $600 for 1st in playoffs sound good?

I actually think this is a great idea and will pump life into the league, as we can justify a new keeper league (with the same or new rules) and I think we'll all be active if a little cash is on the line :P

Synre CaptainKishimoto Justin8649 Carl Aldaron gr33n Chill Murray Psycho Jackal BlueCookies Vineon banned pookar ------

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would play for money but then I would suggest hitting the reset button on the league so everyone starts with equal footing. The keeper experiment was fun but if we hit reset I'd also rather just do a full draft every year. I'm not sure how long this will continue to last, tbh, since we're not all as connected as we once were. Plus, then we could contract or expand as needed in future years, if necessary. The whole keeper thing makes it pretty locked in terms of participants.

If we stay with keepers, I'm cool with that but I'm not really sure how to "fix" it. Trading has always been tough since we're all competitive and don't want to get the raw end of a deal... I think increasing the keeper count forces a solve there. However, let's be realistic, we all love the 2 hour draft that happens once a year and increasing keepers reduces the number of FA available to draft (and who wants to spend a fifth of their budget on Teddy Purcell or Scott Hartnell....).

So yeah, to sum up, my vote is a yahoo pro league, custom scoring (TBD), with my pokemon friends.

On Aldaron's stats, I'm not really surprised my playoffs have been better than my regular season. Not because I necessarily think that I "build for playoffs", since I really don't and anything can happen on a given week (see championships 2007, 2010), but because my mindset has always been "just make top 6". I've done this multiple times in pro leagues now.. all you need is a good team and some good fortune to win in h2h playoffs, not necessarily the best team. Hot goalies down the stretch tend to help. That said, don't asterisk my damn championships!!

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm leaving for Europe for 7 weeks right now so I will see what happens with this when I get back. I am fine playing for money, but isn't $100 a lot for a hockey pool? why not like $50? the argument "to make it worth it" doesn't really make sense to me because we were content doing it for free previously.

I agree with the general idea that money league would be more fun but that it would be best to do it as a 1-year if we did. I am in favor of this mostly. We should IRC more if we're gonna do this though so we can actually trade talk and trash talk.

The mostly here being I graduated somewhat recently and am doing the job hunt thing so I'm not completely sure how much I'll be willing to ante five months from now yet.

sounds like an admission of defeat to me. real winners dont worry about money cause they know they will win. loser. #firstplacetrashtalker

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
I must say I am not down to play for money, for the last seasons all the drafts have been at an ungodly hour for me since we could not get matching schedules done even with a lot of tries to plan it.
And next to it, even though it is just a little amount, I rather not gamble with the money and use it on diapers since there is also a kid on it's way (due date: november 14). I would love to continue the keeper format, but not really interested in 1 year money leagues.

I am rather shocked with my results from the past 4 years, didn't realize my team always did so horrible, especially after finishing 2nd or 3rd in my first year with you guys. Time flies lol.
Looking back I must say I didn't expect that I would be married and have a kid on the way at this point when we started the keeper league. And even though I haven't played these new pokemon games, or even have the latest DS devices, I still have this league as my main one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)