2015 International Challenge June Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...the team wasn't terrible once I figured out how to USE it. Ended up in the negative though, 14-16, which I'm terribly annoyed with. However, that was with a 7-3 day 3. I had some awesome matches today...way fewer gimmicks, many more salamence(I did however run into a bulky (?) Greninja).

Interestingly I only ran into kang twice throughout the whole tournament, but that may have been a factor of me using conk who,btw, was excellent.

I was running a really weird spread on an iron fist variant with coba berry (survived a double edge from mega salamence, that if I had predicted it to survive could've won me the match). Though I may switch to guts with safety goggles because amoonguss really does just trash it.

My team was a vgc'14 throwback (mega maw/hydra/zapdos/conk/amoongus/gengar (with tr that bailed me out of a few tight spots when i ran fast mode)but with a little tweaking could be very good.

Also rotom h for S+ rank...at least against this team...

I saved a bunch of battle vids that once I go through them I'll share if anyone's interested/we're doing that kind of thing

I ended 25-5 with a rating probably around 1730-45 depending if one of the opponent's dc's counted as a win. The Hax gods were kind to me and didn't put outrageous amounts of hax in any of my battles for or against me. I use all my bad luck in the Battle Maison so it doesn't matter.

I will probably put most of my team (one of their ev spread and item is a secret) in the sample teams thread.

ProjectTitan313 the easiest Lucky Chant user to put on your sun team (assuming you still use it) would be Cherrim. Flower Gift would also stop crit Thunderbolts from killing Charizard before you use it (unless crits ignore Flower Gift boosts)
D/C gives you a win, you will get points.

I'll put my team up at tourney's end; but I can say I have two potential Lucky Chant users already on the team. Despite a horrible (International) showing, it works amazingly on BS Doubles when I'm not cringing under the boot of the hax gods.
Flower Gift does help against crits; like an Assault Vest. It's not a direct stage boost (can't be removed by Haze) so crits do not ignore it. Problem is, Cherrim is shit and my team is 5/6 special attackers so the Atk boost is detrimental.

I was running a really weird spread on an iron fist variant with coba berry (survived a double edge from mega salamence, that if I had predicted it to survive could've won me the match). Though I may switch to guts with safety goggles because amoonguss really does just trash it.
Also rotom h for S+ rank...at least against this team...
+10 for CobaConk. I like that idea you cuddly leperchuan.
Rotom-H is such a troll. I'm pretty well-off against it but the LO ones give me trouble.

If matches are still running... I'll give it a shot. May hax have mercy.
Edit +1 win, +1 loss to actual skill / bad matchup. My curse is up but there is no recovery when you're at 1460.

Last edited:
D/C gives you a win, you will get points.

I'll put my team up at tourney's end; but I can say I have two potential Lucky Chant users already on the team. Despite a horrible (International) showing, it works amazingly on BS Doubles when I'm not cringing under the boot of the hax gods.
Flower Gift does help against crits; like an Assault Vest. It's not a direct stage boost (can't be removed by Haze) so crits do not ignore it. Problem is, Cherrim is shit and my team is 5/6 special attackers so the Atk boost is detrimental.

+10 for CobaConk. I like that idea you cuddly leperchuan.
Rotom-H is such a troll. I'm pretty well-off against it but the LO ones give me trouble.

If matches are still running... I'll give it a shot. May hax have mercy.
Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Play Rough

So this was the basis of the team, I wanted to run mawile. I went with Rock Slide to beat char y and t-flame under trick room. I also had a huge lack of spread attacks. Probably be switching rock slide to iron head for the next version of the team. Survives -1 CB t flame flare blitz,spread tran heatwave, and outspeeds max speed modest hydra under tailwind along with still being quite slow under tr.

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

This was a holdover from my metagross team. I was lazy about makin a new team so here she is. She does all the things she always does, 90% of the time people assume she's choice locked and double into it first turn (especially if tailwind is up)

Conkeldurr (F) @ Coba Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 68 HP/180 ATK/4 DEF 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wide Guard

Once I discovered the beauty of wide guard + zapdos that became my go to lead (not quite every time..)and getting a 7-3 record on day 3. Coba allowed it to survive a mega mence double edge with 38 hp remaining. Unfortunately I didn't capitalize by going for ice punch -_-
..will probably be making it guts safety goggles in the future though.

Amoonguss (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect
These may not be the right ivs but they're certainly close. I barely bring this thing..I see it put in work, and when I use it it's normally very effective, but it def spends most of the time on the bench.

Zapdos @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 108 SpA / 12 SpD / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Heat Wave
Another holdover from the metagross team. I love this thing. It gets some really important ohkos, and is durable AF. Will probably be keeping this if I can't find a thundurus spread I like.
Gaseous Clay (Gengar) (M) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
Was throwing ideas at vzxt and looking at the makeup of the team there's a very clear line between fast and slow so i thought adding a tr gengar would be interesting. When you predict correctly with it, i swear you can hear your opponent curse you. Went sludge bomb because my fairy coverage was bad after removing iron head from mawile but will probably go shadow ball. To be honest, if i want to keep this a tr setter I'll probably go cress or gardevoir but this gengar was fun. Some people just had nothing for it, and it's interesting how well it works outside of tr while setting it pretty consistently.

I know this isn't rmt, just thought it would be fun to post here.

Luckily only one opponent who had rotom h realized just how easily it cut this team down. A speedy life orb hp ice version paired with a mega mence just took me down.

My aegislash matchup isn't great either but with hydreigon around you always have a chance against slash.

Unfortunately things didn't play out as well as I'd hoped this comp, but that's what I get for waiting till Friday night to make the team..a couple things I took away*..

1. Rock Slide flinches are not a secondary effect. The damage is actually the bonus.
  2. If you're considering statusing terrakion, forget it. I fought nothing but lum variants.
  3. Rotom h>Rotom W
  4. Specs sylveon is a thing of the past
  5. if you see a sharpedo, prepare for the destiny bond gimmick
  6. Round? WTF
  7. Bulky greninja is not the right greninja

*may not be indicative of actual metagame trends.hax sucks. Your results may vary.

Last edited:
Ended sundayday with a score of 18-10. Last match was against a megasableye+dusclops+FEAR aron T_T

I was using a Belly drum chesnaught team :P

MegaKan+LO Thundurus+ScarfTran+Togekiss+Chesnaught+Gastrodon(should've been wideguard Swampert T_T, lost matches jsut because I didn't have the right support)

Here's some matches with BellyDrum Chesnaught putting in work. Cress is so fat though.

DBQG-WWWW-WW29-AJJG
CM3G-WWWW-WW29-FFE3
VQTW-WWWW-WW29-AJKF

I faced more gimmicks/annoying teams today idk why. Facedd teams with rare pokemon like serperior swampert and Lapras which is nice.

Ended up 15-15; started the day off 2-5 but won my last three to save my ranking. Still kicking myself about Milotic. Saw an interesting team of Mega-Special Swampert with Muddy Water, and non-Mega, Specs Charizard to win my last battle. Overall I'm content, with this being my first competition. My team was Sash Raichu, BrightPowder Talonflame (saved me a few times against Zen Headbutt/Rock Slide), AV Milotic, LO Breloom, Mega Gardevoir, Thick Club Marowak (love this guy).

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Play Rough

So this was the basis of the team, I wanted to run mawile. I went with Rock Slide to beat char y and t-flame under trick room. I also had a huge lack of spread attacks. Probably be switching rock slide to iron head for the next version of the team. Survives -1 CB t flame flare blitz,spread tran heatwave, and outspeeds max speed modest hydra under tailwind along with still being quite slow under tr.

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

This was a holdover from my metagross team. I was lazy about makin a new team so here she is. She does all the things she always does, 90% of the time people assume she's choice locked and double into it first turn (especially if tailwind is up)

Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wide Guard

Once I discovered the beauty of wide guard + zapdos that became my go to lead (not quite every time..)and getting a 7-3 record on day 3. Coba allowed it to survive a mega mence double edge with 38 hp remaining. Unfortunately I didn't capitalize by going for ice punch -_-

Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect
These may not be the right ivs but they're certainly close. I barely bring this thing..I see it put in work, and when I use it it's normally very effective, but it def spends most of the time on the bench.

Zapdos @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Heat Wave
Another holdover from the metagross team. I love this thing. It gets some really important ohkos, and is durable AF. Will probably be keeping this if I can't find a thundurus spread I like.
Timid Nature

- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
Was throwing ideas at vzxt and looking at the makeup of the team there's a very clear line between fast and slow so i thought adding a tr gengar would be interesting. When you predict correctly with it, i swear you can hear your opponent curse you. Went sludge bomb because my fairy coverage was bad after removing iron head from mawile but will probably go shadow ball. To be honest, if i want to keep this a tr setter I'll probably go cress or gardevoir but this gengar was fun. Some people just had nothing for it, and it's interesting how well it works outside of tr while setting it pretty consistently.

Luckily only one opponent who had rotom h realized just how easily it cut this team down. A speedy life orb hp ice version paired with a mega mence just took me down.

My aegislash matchup isn't great either but with hydreigon around you always have a chance against slash.

Unfortunately things didn't play out as well as I'd hoped this comp, but that's what I get for waiting till Friday night to make the team..a couple things I took away*..

1. Rock Slide flinches are not a secondary effect. The damage is actually the bonus.
  2. If you're considering statusing terrakion, forget it. I fought nothing but lum variants.
  3. Rotom h>Rotom W
  6. Round? WTF

*may not be indicative of actual metagame trends.hax sucks. Your results may vary.
Timid 0speed Gengar= New Meta

^that combination wasn't one of my recommendations lol

I just gave you the conk EV spread and I almost had to force you to add a pokemon with TR xD

Timid 0speed Gengar= New Meta

^that combination wasn't one of my recommendations lol

I just gave you the conk EV spread and I almost had to force you to add a pokemon with TR xD
It wasn't 0 speed obviously -_-' eff showdown
I know this isn't a rmt but your evs on Amoonguss are inefficient at lv. 50 (I hate inefficient evs).
I know you won't get an alert for this but like I said I don't remember the amoonguss's exact evs...it was from a team I made a few months ago

Last edited:
I ended up 20 wins, 4 losses. Ran out of time due to real life engagements, but was over 1700 at the end of it :) I'll probably be posting some of the more interesting battles later if anyone cares

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Play Rough

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wide Guard

Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Zapdos @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Heat Wave
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

3. Rotom h>Rotom W
  6. Round? WTF

I know this isn't a rmt but your evs on Amoonguss are inefficient at lv. 50 (I hate inefficient evs).

Battles are over.
Titan's Team and observations will be going up in a while; feel free to post your own stuff if you like.

edit: Patched in to the OP. Just awaiting rankings now, if only so we can laugh at how bad I did.

Last edited:
Ended sundayday with a score of 18-10. Last match was against a megasableye+dusclops+FEAR aron T_T

I was using a Belly drum chesnaught team :P

MegaKan+LO Thundurus+ScarfTran+Togekiss+Chesnaught+Gastrodon(should've been wideguard Swampert T_T, lost matches jsut because I didn't have the right support)

Here's some matches with BellyDrum Chesnaught putting in work. Cress is so fat though.

DBQG-WWWW-WW29-AJJG
CM3G-WWWW-WW29-FFE3
VQTW-WWWW-WW29-AJKF

I faced more gimmicks/annoying teams today idk why. Facedd teams with rare pokemon like serperior swampert and Lapras which is nice.
I'm pretty sure I battled you! The Belly Drum Chesnaught isn't something you see often (and I doubt there's many more of them out there lol), so I definitely remember you and the rest of your team. I had a team starring a shiny Mega Gallade (if that rings any bells for you).

I'm pretty sure I battled you! The Belly Drum Chesnaught isn't something you see often (and I doubt there's many more of them out there lol), so I definitely remember you and the rest of your team. I had a team starring a shiny Mega Gallade (if that rings any bells for you).
My chesnaught was shiny I think you won right? In the end it was your gallade vs my chesnaught and my tailwind had petered out? gg :)

I like to have fun so I make teams with one of my favorites in it even if tis isn't "viable"

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired
Never got to finish all my games since I could not start until the last day and a 30 game grind was too tiring at 8 pm when I was at 17 games. Went decently though iirc. Never got to make changes to my old nats team but oh well.

Rankings are finally up, took them long enough.
WTF at Amoonguss being Top 3.

My ranking is an ego-crushing 1463 - the bottom 27% of the barrel.

Post scores and screenies peoples, I can make a leaderboard out of it.
Will keep Masters / Juniors seperate.

Yeah, so, I guess it is alright, but without losing my head completely I could easily have gone top 100, probs top 50 as well.

#126 is not bad at all though in juniors, and my brother came #365 in masters and if he didn't mess up the last couple of games he would have been top 200. In total satisfied with my performance.

As for the usage staistics, there is a lot of interesting things. Shuca Berry Heatran at a wopping 20 %, met those all the time. Amoonguss at #3 though, how did it get past Thundurus? Also, Kang's Adamant to Jolly rate was around 1:1, previously being 1:2. Rotom-W has not seen top 12 since like november iirc, so that's cool. It has now regained it's place as the #1 bulky water in the meta, earlier on being looked upon as kind of bad compared to Suicune. An incredible 34 % of Gardevoir's had Trick Room, showing that it is really popular. There is a lot of interesting things there, so if you want to get up to date with recent meta trends you should study those statistics and also the teams from US nats.

How do you post the ranking image? I got 70th overall with 1706 points...23rd for CP contention (non-Japan, non-Korea), which earned me a respectable 4 CP :)

I noticed that my team is private when you click on my profile, but you can watch most of my battles on Youtube: www.youtube.com/mrscarymuffin (new videos every other day)

How do you post the ranking image? I got 70th overall with 1706 points...23rd for CP contention (non-Japan, non-Korea), which earned me a respectable 4 CP :)
I just used Gyazo for it. Awesome that you had success, getting over 1700 in these things is really hard.

I just screenshot the page itself (I use Dropbox for this), crop the image in an image editor (MS paint for me) and upload the newly cropped image to an image host (Photobucket). I'm ghetto like that. You whippersnappers and your gyazo and imgur and color TV.

I am deeply disappointed in my score, obviously. My team is fierce, I spent ungodly amounts of time on it, and it's running 1640+ on BS doubles, going toe-to-toe with 1700+ JP players. I lost almost entirely to hax, with one match being actually outplayed. I made 1600 my goal for the tourney; after 5 battles I made 1500 my goal. It was that bad.

Ah, I thought that maybe Pokemon had a share function :p Here we go:

My goal was to break 1720 to guarantee CP. Unfortunately I lost battle #23 and dropped under 1700. I won #24, but that was my final battle as I ran out of time on Sunday.
Yeah see, some of us just plain suck at everything we do in life, and try to get over 1600, on any metagame / tourney / anything, just once in our lifetime. CP is an absurd dream for me :P

OP updated, added everything above to leaderboard.

Yeah see, some of us just plain suck at everything we do in life, and try to get over 1600, on any metagame / tourney / anything, just once in our lifetime. CP is an absurd dream for me :P
I don't really believe that, especially if you put so much time into something. What you're putting time into does make a difference though.

I only started VGC last year with the 2014 season. Prior to that I've never played or considered any competitive Pokemon, especially not Smogon Singles. I was a Pokemon TCG player that got disenchanted with the game and didn't want to spend a lot of money every year but still wanted to stay in the community. I'm lucky that the local scene in BC is filled with ridiculously strong players, from Canadian Nationals champion Tony Cheung, to multi-worlds competitor Randy Kwa, and this year's 2nd place US Nats finisher Rapha Bagara. We had 3 TOs and got lots of Premiere Challenges and playing with the big boys definitely leveled up my game.

I did realize a couple of things while approaching team building:
You should always have at least a 4-6 match up against the field. This includes niche strategies, counter-meta teams, and completely random teams. That means, if you have a counter-meta team that beats all the top 20 popular mons, but doesn't have any real way to handle things outside of it, you're screwed. In a tournament setting, you'll probably be stuck in the 3-3 crowd and you'll never encounter the match ups that your team was designed for. This is why most of the successful teams you see has an element of "good stuffs" in it, it get them through the first half of the tournament.

You should always practice using the "good stuff". This leads into my next point, but I learned the most from copying other teams and playing them. I want to see what makes them tick, what kind of match ups and situations do I want to have and what Pokemon, moves, and items do I end up fearing the most? By and far, the best way to learn to beat the Good Stuff team is to play it yourself so that you can understand the mentality behind using the team. During Seattle Regionals, I played against fellow Canadian Tyson Gernack, who was using a variant of Conan's Oregon Regionals winning team. I had practiced with my own variants of Conan's team and used it in three Premiere Challenges, getting 2nd place at one of them. When we played, I made every read because I knew exactly what he wanted to do.

Copying other people's team and using them without changing too much is also important for improving your skills as a player. If someone did well with the team, you *know* that the team is good, which means if you lose a game, it's probably your play. It's the classic elimination method of problem solving, with the problem being "why am I losing?" If it's not the team, it's the player. Recognizing that can help you improve your team preview and play tremendously. I normally play at least 10 games with a team before I even start to consider changes to the team. I want to make sure that I'm playing the team correctly first before I start blaming the team for why I'm losing.

Play with what you're comfortable with. The other great thing about playing a wide variety of other people's teams is that you start to get a sense of yourself as a player. There will be certain styles and Mons that you just prefer to use. Team/Player synergy is just as important as anything else. For example, how comfortable are you with 90% accurate moves? 80% accurate moves? Do you like rolling confusion or multi-hits? What's your preferred method of speed control? (make sure you play lots of games with each before deciding!). All these things will guide you towards making the right team choices for you, allowing you to play the way you want to for long tournaments.

Going back to the example of Conan's team...it originally used Mega Salamence, but I really didn't feel comfortable with the multiple ice-weakness on his team, so I tried Mega Gyarados and it was terrible. Finally, I swapped to Charizard Y and instantly felt more comfortable picking leads in team preview. Interestingly enough, Conan's team was based on a Japan Battlespot team that was popular at the time, but it originally ran Charizard Y and he didn't like it and switched it out for Mence.

Lastly, don't be afraid to share. Even within the confines of the local BC metagame, almost everyone practices and did team building with at least 2 other people locally. Randy Kwa is infamous for publicly sharing his movesets and spreads and just beating you anyways. Rapha sort of followed that trend, as he would post tournaments reports and include his full team and then continue to use that team for the next couple of tournaments. His Nationals team was essentially the same as the team that he won the BC Invitationals with (that he posted on vgcwithhats.com) and I believe his first Premiere Challenge victory came from using the same team that he got Top 4 at Oregon regionals with (that he posted on NB).

The Japanese share and practice with each other all the time. Not being afraid to let people know what you're packing and still beating them is a mark of a great best-of-3 player and, ultimately, you will need to win several bo3 to do well in VGC.

In either case, I managed to finish 17th in Canada in CP this season. I believe I placed around 250th in North America with my 128 CP, well shy of the Top 40 cut off for Worlds. Next year I intend to play more and perhaps travel with the local group to Oregon and Indy, but we'll see! I do have a newborn coming in October :p

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hopefully it worked. I'm terrible at this.
upload_2015-7-10_19-20-42.png
Don't freak out, it's Junior division
Broke it with a team that I actually used for a whole month (most teams last less than week) making it my second longest used team for doubles. I apparently beat the person who got second at US nationals in the Senior division. Also helped me finally break 1800 on Battle Spot again. On another note I think I actually beat all the Japanese and Koreans in my division.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)