2018-2019 (Soccer) Football Thread

Imagine if Saúl Ñíguez wasn't in Spain's world cup squad just to sit on the bench the entire time, they might have actually done something

So glad we decided to sell some of our best players and bring in more than 10 new players this summer after a successful campaign (by our standards) with a semifinal run in the CL. I can't wait for this summer to see how much money we can bring in by selling our remaining players. Y'know, especially now that we're headed for an early CL exit and probably a Europa League spot next season, thus significantly reducing our revenue as it is and other teams knowing we're going to keep selling everyone.

Anyone want Ünder or Pellegrini for €20m each? Maybe €35 for the both of them?

Great management from Roma as usual.

I'm so glad we let Skorupski go because we were going to hold onto Alisson and he didn't want to be a backup, only to then sell Alisson for below market value and get Olsen. /s

We bought Alisson for 65 mil which is the world transfer record for a goalkeeper so I think the "below market value" statement does not make sense to me.

We bought Alisson for 65 mil which is the world transfer record for a goalkeeper so I think the "below market value" statement does not make sense to me.
It was the world record until Chelsea paid €80m for Kepa. But somehow we weren't able to start a bidding war between Chelsea and Liverpool because our management is incompetent like that.

Just because it was a record at the time doesn't mean it's not below his value, considering how much money teams are shelling out for players right now, except for Roma's players because literally everyone knows we're going to end up selling anyway.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well he was probably the only top billed player to have a high impact world cup showing so it's not very unexpected. Combine that with relatively tame club seasons from CR7 and Messi (when I say tame, I mean by their relatively super-extraordinary standards) and his win is statistically quite likely. No one else fit the bill the way he did: Club Champ, National runner up.

Well he was probably the only top billed player to have a high impact world cup showing so it's not very unexpected. Combine that with relatively tame club seasons from CR7 and Messi (when I say tame, I mean by their relatively super-extraordinary standards) and his win is statistically quite likely. No one else fit the bill the way he did: Club Champ, National runner up.
Has been terrible this season though so that might count against him

So Malcom is making a lot of noise about lack of game time. Well, maybe he should not have snubbed Roma at the last minute then? Completely wasted his time and career there.

So Malcom is making a lot of noise about lack of game time. Well, maybe he should not have snubbed Roma at the last minute then? Completely wasted his time and career there.
Honestly what did he expect? Those clubs are well-established that young players like him would struggle to get playing time. If he had wanted to play, Roma 100% was the better option. Sure, he has some competition with other young players like Under and Kluivert, but we're clearly giving young guys a chance.

I get it, Barcelona offered him a lot more money (double, I think), but the lack of development really hurts in the long run. Just look at Renato Sanches over at Bayern. And with the way Roma is run, he would've found himself at Barcelona in two years anyway.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't realise it got to the point where he might even leave in January LOL

Last edited:
What a weird fucking EPL season so far.. Arsenal didn't play vs a lot of stud teams, but this win streak is so clutch and it's nice to see some real energy on the pitch with some players someeeeee say don't produce.. and belief in Emery and his tactics.

Things look alllllright.

Iwobi not being a total dud is nice to watch.

No clue how the squad will look halfway through or next season.. it's going to be strange with a new crop and some of the quality we are used to.. leaving.. but that's how it goes. New system, different fits.

What a weird fucking EPL season so far.. Arsenal didn't play vs a lot of stud teams, but this win streak is so clutch and it's nice to see some real energy on the pitch with some players someeeeee say don't produce.. and belief in Emery and his tactics.

Things look alllllright.

Iwobi not being a total dud is nice to watch.

No clue how the squad will look halfway through or next season.. it's going to be strange with a new crop and some of the quality we are used to.. leaving.. but that's how it goes. New system, different fits.
Just keep Bernd Leno in goal

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Arsenal playing like they left their grumpy dad's place and moved in with the cool uncle.

Are they really making any progress though, the very good attack makes up for the defence. Auba is top quality though, put him in any of the top 15 teams in the league and he would probably get 20 goals

A back line that has Mustafi in it and relying on Xhaxa as a right back is not even close to challenging for a title.

Same as last season, quality enough to push for a top 4-6 spot, but getting run through by the actual top teams.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)