2019-20 NBA Season

Was Walton secretly the common denominator keeping the lakers down? I see the semblance of an offense with off-ball movement and Dwight leads the league in +/- what in the actual fuck.

Also this gem courtesy of reddit
Screenshot_20191030-023641_Reddit.jpg

Walton is a dumbass for his questionable rotations and proving he essentially rode the coattails of Kerr and the GSW players, but Lakers FO has made some equally questionable moves (like giving up on Ingram and Thomas Bryant too early)

Walton is a dumbass for his questionable rotations and proving he essentially rode the coattails of Kerr and the GSW players, but Lakers FO has made some equally questionable moves (like giving up on Ingram and Thomas Bryant too early)
But we gave them up for... Anthony Davis.

I'm not gonna pretend the optics of trading zubac to the nephews in a panic move last season aren't bad but the chance of putting Davis, lebron and leonard together was too good to pass up. Of course in retrospect keeping zubac over javale would have been the smart move. I cant believe how much I'm enjoying dwight freaking howard and wishing McGee would disappear. Everyone mocked the FO for the veterans we brought in this season but they've been a huge improvement and look who's sitting atop the west standings

I'm not gonna pretend the optics of trading zubac to the nephews in a panic move last season aren't bad but the chance of putting Davis, lebron and leonard together was too good to pass up. Of course in retrospect keeping zubac over javale would have been the smart move. I cant believe how much I'm enjoying dwight freaking howard and wishing McGee would disappear. Everyone mocked the FO for the veterans we brought in this season but they've been a huge improvement and look who's sitting atop the west standings
Right now I'm just hoping Rondo has the same kind of comeback season as Dwight and AB have been having...

Well were just over a quarter into the season and the Lakers are looking like a top tier title team (say that five times fast). A lot of pundits mocked Pelinka for retooling with veteran shooters and big men, and ignoring a big name point guard like Kemba. Right now he looks like a genius remodeling into a bigger team with tons of length. Of course Davis is the crux of that, being a defensive monster thus far as well as putting close games away with his clutch FT%. The Howard/McGee duo continues to give solid rotation minutes and help keep AD fresh by limiting the amount of time he spends at the 5, allowing him (and Lebron to an extent) to roam the middle of the floor and pick off easy steals/blocks. It's really refreshing to have the (arguably) best player on your team also give the most on defense and its rubbing off on everyone else.

Are there still some holes? Of course. I cant believe I'm saying this but Avery Fucking Bradley has been huge in the defensive backcourt and the sooner he comes back from injury, the better.

A lot of people have been pointing out the easy early schedule, but good teams are supposed to beat bad ones and our three losses have come against some of the hottest teams in the league right now. The lakers also have several W's over quality teams in the Heat, Mavs (in Dallas), Nuggets and Jazz. The latter two this week. Tje schedule remains brutal through this month and I think if the team can come out of it 25-8 or better, a top 3 finish isnt out of the question. I know there is still a lot of basketball to be played and injuries are pretty much unavoidable but this squad has shown resiliency and defensive tenacitysorely missing in years past.

Also shout out to the coaching staff and Vogel who has actually been willing to make in-game adjustments and bench players who are underperforming.

P.S. If KCP continues his current play into the new year I may be ready to accept him as a legitimate positive contribution to the team lel

yes ok

Banned deucer.
I am not sure that I can agree with this assessment of the Lakers that has been given. I would conclude that they perhaps are somewhat above the average, but they are certainly not great !

Is anyone still under the delusion that the Rockets chuck it up brand of basketball will yield them a Western Conference Championship, let alone an NBA Championship?

Is anyone still under the delusion that the Rockets chuck it up brand of basketball will yield them a Western Conference Championship, let alone an NBA Championship?
Yes, but only if every other team is missing its two best players.

the irony of moreyball is that their response to seeing that harden can't win them a championship is to go even more all-in on him. you sacrificed your depth to get cp3, you sacrificed your future to flip him for westbrook, so what's next? just start the rebuild now while you can still flip your mvps for young guns lmfao.

anyways, think there's six 'legit' teams in each conference (east: bucks raptors celtics sixers heat pacers, west: clippers lakers mavs rockets nuggets jazz) that are looking like second round teams. if the eastern group looks better and like closer contests than the west thats cause they are, the years of the western conference's dominance ended a few years ago when the spurs lost kawhi / lob city broke up / okc lost kd and were relegated to a first round team and its been finalised by lebron moving west and the shock downfall of golden state. despite the mavs surge and the clippers looking to become the next superteam I think the balance of power in the nba will steadily shift eastward the next couple of years, particularly as the heat develop, teams like charlotte and orlando finally get upside and kd suits up for the nets.

talking about this year specifically;
bucks look like the team to beat despite everything, despite mirotic and brogdon walking they've tightened their system and giannis has gotten even better, carrying the team almost singlehandedly. the fact that he hit 5 3s to knock down the lakers is the icing on the cake, and while I hesitate to say unstoppable he's made himself the clear favorite for mvp. all that's left is for bledsoe and middleton to finally show up in a playoff series, but we won't see that till april at least.
I have raptors at second team in the east prob out of bias but also bc I think their flaws are the least glaring out of the east's top 4 teams, as well having the most room for growth this season and being the most likely to make a deal at the deadline to boost their chances (having all of decent picks expiring vets and younger players to comprise an offer for a third allstar, since they shouldn't deal for anything less). the fact that after a breakout season and a 32 point finals game siakim is looking like a potential mip is truly absurd, and despite some stutters he's looking like the guy. fvv has also slotted into a starting role with ease and has stepped up his scoring, og anunoby has looked like an all-defense pick, and the vets and bench mob complement this group really well. despite a stutter in the middle (blame injury luck and a rough schedule) there's no reason to say that this team can't make it back to the ecf at least.
sixers are probably the most talented team in the east - not only are they the only eastern team with two superstars (nets don't count till next year) but they also spent last year poaching the best players from the clippers / heat / celtics respectively. their size-centric approach is also weirdly reminiscent of the lakers and should give them a huge edge in the poffs, but all that said their flaws seem way too glaring. giannis has learned how to shoot and simmons has not, embiid is too up-and-down, and the way this team leans on josh richardson of all people is kinda ridic. vulnerable to smart defense and simply being outhustled as the raptors and heat proved so yeah.
celtics should be higher - brown has gotten his career back on track, tatum has branched out and looked phenomenal, kemba has been everything the celtics expected etc etc and their record def shows something. all that said you can't make it through the east playing tatum at pf and kanter / theis at center, giannis and embiid will brutalise you. sorry.
heat have prob been the biggest revelation of this season - that they've made stars out of undrafted kendrick nunn and duncan robinson is quite the feat. meyers leonard has shot really well, tyler herro's lived up to the hype, while jimmy and bam have done a fantastic job of shepherding the youngsters and closing out tight stretches. I think the one knock I have against this team is youth and a corresponding lack of poff experience but at the same time I think this team is more likely to outpunch one of the four teams above them than to suffer a shock loss.
after a long stretch of heartbreak it looks like it's finally the pacers time. brogdon has done fantastic at pg and the rest of the team, sabonis in particular have done really well. this team is at the threshold of the top 10 with oladipo yet to return and when they get him back they'll probably hit another level.
still behind the rest of the pack for now though.
I have clippers ahead of lakers imo, this is a team that's clearly facing teething issues but for all that their upside remains insane. arguably best coach and best bench in the league frontlined by two deadly superstars, pg has been dominant as a scorer and despite an efficiency downtick kawhi has settled into his new role more or less. this team makes wcf guaranteed barring injury and should be strongly favored to win the whole bag.
lakers are the lakers I guess, hard to find something to say that hasn't already been said. that said I think that this team does have a weakness in its reliance on length as well as on lebron as playmaker, and the raptors game in particular showed how a weaker team can go about turning the lakers' strengths against them. if a team like the jazz or the nuggets were to copy that scheme in poffs the lakers could be in for a ride, but until that happens lebron and ad will steamroll everyone.
mavericks have been a revelation imo, that doncic is only in his second year and is yet having a mvp-caliber season is insane. porzingis has also looked like he's coming back to form and the support crew have pulled their weight in a variety of ways. this is clearly the team of the future and even this year they should be a threat.
rockets...lol. hard to say that harden and westbrook aren't good enough to drag a team to the second round but from there they kinda plateau. don't think this team has the right pieces or the laser focus to get a chip but like anything can happen ig, at least we'll have nice stat sheets.
I think the nuggets and the jazz are both better teams than what they've shown so far, in particular w the jazz struggling to click and jokic looking out of it. if they get it going then they become dangerous, jazz in particular with conley mitchell's offense as well as bogdanovic's shooting and the team's defensive build. nuggets don't quite have the same star power but jokic has proved he can bat in the playoffs and the team's chemistry is strong too, imo if murray makes the right leap forward then the nuggets will go deep.

Funny how everyone left the Thunder for dead heading into this year. They still have plenty of talent: CP3 and Gallo (when healthy), Adams, a developing SGA, and a solid bench. I always thought they would be at least a .500 team this year and they're in the running for a playoff spot as well which is icing on the cake with our bevy of draft picks. Presti doing what Presti does

Looking like AD will be out 3-5 weeks with a heavily bruised tailbone. Everyone is about to learn whether Lebron and Kuzma can carry this team until he gets back. We all know how this played out last year

Lakers comfortably sweep the Dallas/OKC road back to back missing AD for the first game and AD, Bron, and Green for the second.

We're 39 games into the season, have we played any tough opponents yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)