2019-20 NBA Season

(2) toronto raptors vs (3) boston celtics

I'd probably be remiss to start my preview without noting that all things considered, this has the potential to be the best series of this nba playoffs. from a narrative perspective it's the two best organisations in the eastern conference getting their long-awaited showdown, as the nba experiences the bitter boston-toronto rivalry that's become a byword in the nhl, and from a pure basketball perspective it's two incredibly deep and well rounded rosters coached by tactical wunderkinds. what's not to like?

from a defensive standpoint it's hard to call individual matchups considering how much potential there is for cross-matches or rotations and how neither team sticks 100% to man coverage anyways, but it still feels pretty straightforwards at a glance. og anunoby will probably get the first shot at checking jayson tatum, with lowry on jaylen brown and fred vanvleet on kemba walker. the interesting thing to me though is the other two matchups; it wouldn't surprise me for instance to see nick nurse put siakam on daniel theis to nuke boston's preferred pick-and-rolls, since there's no point in running those just to drag another elite, switchable defender into either kemba or tatum's orbit, while marcus smart's lack of a threat off the dribble should make him easy for gasol to contain. siakam on tatum also looks pretty imposing, as siakam's speed, length and ability to recover probably makes him the best counter to tatum on paper, but I imagine that the raptors would rather keep that in reserve as a trump card (or simply to conserve their star's energy).

the celtics' matchups also look pretty straightforwards; jaylen brown will probably take siakam like he has during the regular season, and tatum will take lowry. as for marcus smart, though, I'm not sure; is he better on vanvleet to hold off his red-hot three-point shooting? or would the celtics rather put him on anunoby so that he can attack passing lanes or put in work as a help defender? does smart on siakam become their trump card if it comes down to that? the other question I ask is how the celtics deal with kemba on defense; he can definitely hold his own and is probably quick enough to keep up with say vanvleet, but the raptors may run inverted pick-and-rolls with one of anunoby or siakam to drag kemba out (even though lowry is generally better as the screener in those actions). might be something to watch for.

the raptors' offense sits in an interesting spot because they have a lot of options but not all of them are efficient / easily createable / effective against boston's defense (for example the raptors' deadly transition game is countered by the celtics having the best transition defense in the league). one thing that does seem to have promise though is deploying gasol in the post; boston couldn't fully contain embiid last round, and gasol is clearly a more skilled post operator and has better floor spacing to work with. in any case though, the crux of it is siakam. in his first game against boston he showed he had what it took to run up points against the celtics, and even in the bubble game he managed to take brown off the dribble a couple of times. if he gets going early then boston might as well throw in the towel, but if he's stymied than I'm not sure what happens. one thing could be deploying him out of the short-roll a la draymond, particularly if he could drag kemba's man into it, because that gives him maximum room to maneuver and leverage his widening skillset.

boston's task is a little more straightforwards but not without complications of its own; the raptors give up the lowest percentage on 3 point shots on the league and only allow 0.81 points per isolation. it's here where I feel they'll miss gordon hayward the most, since his well-rounded game and playmaking were critical to facilitating boston's offense and would count for worlds in giving boston more avenues of attack. on a macro level boston's bench looks very shaky; norman powell and serge ibaka are clearly the two best reserves in the series and it's not particularly close, while boston's best backup in enes kanter will probably be targeted relentlessly since its an open secret that he can't guard in space. hell boston's bench being non-shooters probably counts against them as the raptors will simply hone in on whichever two of kemba / brown / tatum are on the floor and dare ojeleye / wanamaker / robert williams to do something.

the last thing I would want to mention is the possibility that the raptors' jumbo lineup makes an appearance, particularly against boston's transitional lineups. the argument of just targeting boston's lack of size and punishing them with rebounds and kick-outs to shooters is tempting and it could provoke a cascading effect. again, the celtics lacking hayward cuts into their offense and their ability to effectively answer said jumbo lineup without sacrificing too much on either offense or defense.

on the whole it's reductive af to say that this is a matchup of star power against depth considering how intricately constructed both rosters are and the options they have, but...that's what it boils down to I feel. can kemba and tatum carry the scoring load on a barrage of pull-up threes and spit in the eye of the raptors' defense or are boston's stars being asked to do too much and in infavorable circumstances nonetheless? does the raptors' optionality give them the best chances of targeting boston's weak underbelly and adapting to the unforeseen, or is it just masking their lack of the star power that's necessary to win a title? I don't know for certain, but I feel that toronto having more reliable bodies and being able to attack boston at positions of weakness (particularly their frontcourt) seems like the decisive factor to me. I also think that nick nurse is a better coach than brad stevens on the whole and is more likely to hit on the series-busting adjustment that's necessary to win. against that the celtics do have tatum, but it just doesn't look like tatum's enough on paper, especially consdering the defense he'll be asked to work through.

toronto wins if; they hit threes at their regular season rate. siakam manages to get back in a groove and is impossible to contain inside. vanvleet maintains his red-hot bubble form and ability to stretch the celtics' defense to 30 feet or so. theis and kanter are consistently brutalised by gasol and ibaka. boston's bench players are run off the floor, forcing the celtics to keep two of tatum / brown / kemba on the floor at all times and making fatigue a real possibility.

boston wins if; tatum and kemba maintain their hot hands and the raptors fail to find a way to stop them from raining pull-up threes or getting to the rim. jaylen brown manages to contain siakam and render him into a mere all-star caliber scorer. the jumbo lineup fails to overpower boston's sharp defense or work around their ability to force turnovers in crunch time. the raptors' offense goes flat as a whole as their transition game dries up and they can't consistently score in the halfcourt.

toronto in 6

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jamal Murray is out here doing things that I didn't even know were possible. And he had one of the most powerful postgame interviews I've ever seen too. I am absolutely floored but what this guy is doing and am loving every second of it

I swear if Houston loses Game 7, they will be one of the most embarrassing basketball organizations in the last ten years. Yes, even more than the Knicks.

You keep Harden for nearly ten years and don’t make a single finals appearance, cycling role-player after role-player, star after star, and analyzing number after number.

The general manager talks so much shit and boasts so much about what they do, and basically spend three or four years trying to model your team specifically to beat Golden State only to continue losing to them.

Then when their dynasty ends, they trade their second-best player in Chris Paul to double-down on their small-ball isolation. He was too old, slow, and injured and Houston wanted the fresh, healthy Russell
Westbrook. It was a gambling trade centering athleticism and youth over veteranship.

Then Houston plays the team they traded Chris Paul to in the first-round playoffs only to lose to him after the general manager himself promised not to trade Paul… only to do it literally days later as he outplays his trading piece in Westbrook and shoots mid-ranged jumpers over Covington, the other new guy added in trades as Houston continues to brick three after three. Meanwhile, Westbrook is actually the injured player entering only after Game 6 while Chris Paul has had one of his healthiest seasons.

It would be the biggest fuck you from a single player to an entire organization that at least came close with him, betrayed him to get younger and smaller only to lose DIRECTLY TO HIM. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Paul's version of a Championship.

If they lose, it’s going up in flames, folks.

and unfortunately the rockets live to die another day. harden getting the game-sealing block is just another thing I can chalk up to 2020 weirdness.

anyways, another series prediction (I'll do lakers rockets tomorrow before it kicks off):

(2) los angeles clippers vs (3) denver nuggets

an interesting matchup, and definitely a muddier one than both teams' first round series, but at the same time there's a clear favorite here and an underdog without a lot of visible outs.

the most interesting question to me in this series is how the clippers elect to guard denver's offensive actions; the joker-murray pick-n-roll and so on. all things considered this is ivica zubac's series to show out in, as the clippers only true 7-footer and thus their best chance at slowing jokic down. despite common wisdom I've heard suggesting that kawhi take the jamal murray assignment I think we're more likely to see paul george there, not only because he's generally done better guarding quicker players but because I feel the clippers as a whole play better with him shouldering the primary defensive assignment while allowing kawhi to roam off-ball and wreak havoc with steals (although the clippers' ability to reverse that dynamic remains their secret weapon I don't think this is the matchup to bust it out for). I feel jokic and murray will get theirs, mpj will contribute and the role players will hit threes and occasionally do something on their own hook but considering the caliber of the clippers' perimeter defenders I think they should be able to hold the nuggets at bay.

the flipside of that matchup is a complete wash though; even with will barton in denver would've been at best pushed to the brink by this offense. if nothing else utah proved that you can't really hide jokic from endless pick-n-rolls and lou will / kawhi / paul george will take their turns collecting free points there (kawhi could average 35 in the series with his eyes closed and his left hand tied behind his back). gary harris, torrey craig, jerami grant and paul millsap will all have to bring their best and even then the clippers can hunt weak links (murray can maybe hold his own vs beverly or reggie jackson, mpj is a black hole on defense and the nuggets will give up at least 1.5 points for every shot he attempts while he's on the court). honestly when I look at this in depth all the intrigue kinda disappears - both teams are great offensively but only one of them has a legitimate perimeter defense. denver can probably just outscore the clippers once, and perhaps the clippers' shooters go cold (playoff p syndrome?) but I just can't see them doing it night in night out like they need to to win this series.

clippers win if; kawhi maintains his first round form. clippers can contain the murray-jokic pick-and-roll without giving up points elsewhere. zubac contains joker without giving up too much on offense (although they can always use him to force joker to switch onto perimeter creators in space). lou will and montrez dominate their minutes and send denver's reserve lineups to haemorrhage points. the shooters shoot and also hold their own on defense (paul george really only has to do the latter honestly).

nuggets win if; kawhi is held at bay or just runs out of juice. joker comes to life against an easier matchup than rudy gobert (not saying a lot though bc zubacs is good) and just torches the clippers for triple doubles every other night. the nuggets move the ball and create open shots or just target the clippers' weak links on defense (looking at reggie jackson here mostly) via switches. mpj is unconscious from the field. the clippers can't shoot to save their lives.

clippers in 5

I shouldn't double post but fuckit I legitimately screamed when this shot went through this deserves a mention. the raptors scraped out of a 'road' game on a touchdown 40-foot pass and a long corner three, because that's what you do when you need a win vs a clearly more talented team (not necessarily better, talent is a massive advantage though) in this situation. this is the occasion for celebration. og anunoby is a goddamn treasure (he was the best player the raptors had this series even before that shot, double-double with three steals and 2 blocks, did the heavy lifting in holding tatum to 15 and that's just in this one game lol) and his player profile and ascent seem eerily reminiscent to another 22-year-old small forward who emerged as a starter for a former champion looking to revitalise themselves a few years back. hell all things considered even if the raptors don't win this series I consider this season a win considering the young pieces they have and how well they've set up for the post-lowry era (big contracts coming off as younger players are starting to come into their own, team owns all their future picks and can probably fleece for more if needed, siakam should improve more this offseason, anunoby's potential upside looks insane, so on so forth)

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jimmy Butler secretly being the greatest player of all time is a very interesting development.

edit: also Budenholzer adamantly refusing to use Giannis as the roller in pick and roll situations might just be the worst coaching decision of the decade. Fire this man.

You know, it's kinda embarrassing see that. I mean, I'm a Lakers fan and very happy how the team is striving in the D and being smart on the offense, but it's still embarrassing see how the Rockets were totally wiped out. Rus completely freakin out, Harden in a solitary effort and the rest of team wishing get outta there as fast as they can. I suck a lot about predictions, but I think the D'Antoni Era in Houston is over.

congrats clippers on 50 years without even sniffing the conference finals, if you're not gonna delete the franchise at least relocate to vancouver or something. what a way to let everyone down. again. the curse of harold ballard has nothing on the curse of donald sterling.

congrats to the nuggets on being the first team in league history to come back from 3-1 in consecutive series; the grit and composure it takes to execute like that is just unreal and nobody can take this away from them. can't wait to watch these guys collect a ring in the near future (considering how young this team is and what they've shown already betting on them seems pretty safe).

congrats to the lakers, who got to cruise past the fraudulent rockets while watching their three toughest matchups (clippers, bucks, raptors) all fall short in the second round and now have a supposedly clear path to the finals. they're gonna find some way to fuck this up and have everybody laughing at them though, right? please?

excuse me I'm going to go laugh at the clippers for a while and then gaze mournfully at my 2019 raptors poster as I dwell on what could've been. ya hate to see it, you really do.

The Clippers were my NBA Finals pick...lol now I look silly
Also shoutout to the douchebags on the Clippers Patrick Beverley and Marcus Morris. The feeling of failure is something that's so satisfying to see with those two. I feel for Kawhi and PG but these Clippers are so hateable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)