2019-20 Football/Soccer Thread

Title is sealed. Bayern don't really drop points in the Bundesliga.
The H2H vs B04, Gladbach, and Freiburg haven't been great in recent seasons, though. At least Dortmund and Leipzig still have to play each other, and Gladbach have some tough ones in their schedule too vs Freiburg and Wolfsburg.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Do y’all think Chelsea can reach achieve their former success with the current squad they have. Sure Abraham, Reece James and Mount are talented. But are they good enough to lead Chelsea to a premier league title in the future. They’ve had the likes of Hazard, Drogba and Makelele back in the day and only Kante really compares to any of those in terms of quality.
Absolutely. We have an abundance of great young talent and a very promising manager. Tammy Abraham, Reece James and Mason Mount are probably the three that get spoken about the most, but we've got many more.
Tammy Abraham has been shown as a versatile striker that can score many types of goals. He has been pretty good at finding space in the box and winning aerial duels. His dribbling, while not on the same level as some of his peers, is not too shabby either, which add another dimension to his game. Despite his skinny body, he seems to be handling the physicality of the Premier League very well, and is deceptively strong. He's shown that he responds well to criticism, as shown when he was getting hate for a "slow" start, which is a great mentality for a young player to have. He's been killing it on loan in the championship and has averaged a goal every 150 minutes in the Premier League this season (13 in 25). He hasn't scored many from outside the box, but when you've got the teammates that Tammy does, I don't really think that he needs to.

Tomori, who won POTY for playoff runners-up Derby last year over Mount, is a class defender that has proven himself to have a high floor. He makes a few mistakes, sure, but less than your average "ball-playing centre back". His distribution is decent and he often makes up for the rare misplaced pass with quick pace and great tackling. He's very calm with and without the ball (surprising for someone so young) and shows great defensive IQ. I'm sure he'll be able to develop much further.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is the most experienced of the bunch. He's unfortunately been kept out this season due to injuries, but he is a versatile midfielder than can function as a box-to-box player or in a more creative number 10 role. It's rare to find someone that physically powerful with great ball control and finesse. He's also not to be underestimated in the box, often finding pockets of space for the cutback/cross as the striker draws in defenders closer to the goal line. His performances from previous seasons should tell you why he's a force to be reckoned with.

Despite his recent controversy, Callum Hudson Odoi has been hyped up as the most talented of the bunch. All of them say that Callum has the "special" factor, and he's definitely shown glimpses of it when he's been put on the pitch. Had an unfortunate injury but recovered. His technical ability and pace let him get an advantage over most full-backs, and he's certainly changed games immediately whenever he's subbed on. It's noteworthy that he (alongside RLC) was performing well for the first team last season before our transfer ban. I hope for everyone involved that the situation isn't as what the media is saying.

Billy Gilmour's (albeit small sample size of) games have impressed me. He hasn't had much experience compared to the rest of the team, but despite looking like a 14 year old, his technical ability is insane. He shows hunger and great football IQ despite only being 18. He's also pretty good at tackling, as shown in the Liverpool game. Really glad Lampard gave him a chance to prove himself, as I feared he'd be left out a lot in favour of Mount. Played excellently vs Liverpool and Everton, even winning MOTM.

Pulisic is another player that doesn't get spoken about enough because he was a) injured for a while this season and b) overshadowed by the likes of Jadon Sancho at Dortmund (but really and truly who wouldn't be?). However, when he got his minutes, he really proved he was worth his price tag. Just watch this guy in games, he reminds me of a young Hazard. Very productive in the final third and compliments Abraham well.

Reece James is surely one of the best of the academy graduates. Everyone argues about TAA and AWB and their pros and cons, but I think that James hits a nice midground. He's got dangerous deliveries into the box like TAA, and his speed and strength alongside his great football IQ let him defend well like AWB. Chelsea has always been a fan of hardworking attacking fullbacks, and James fits this perfectly.

Mason Mount seems to be among Lampard's favourite, probably because of his time at Derby with Tomori, and the fact that he reminds him of himself. He can play on the wing, but I think he's most effective as a midfielder. He has bags of energy and is great in transition play. His goal contributions have been pretty frequent, and I feel that he synergises very well with the team. One of the key players in Derby's playoff run last year, and someone's who is becoming a staple in the Chelsea midfield, the 21 year old is showing signs of Frank. Lampard.

Lampard has shown that he's a good enough manager to hack the Premier League, despite only having two years (one and a half if you count this season being cut short) worth of managing experience. I think that people don't appreciate Frank's qualities as a leader when he was a player when assessing him as a manager. Vincent Kompany said "What he brought at the time, he stepped the level up for everyone else." and "He's up there with the most intelligent players so it's a natural match with Chelsea, I completely support him." when talking about Lampard's short time at Man City. He's a player that understands the game very well and is backed by a strong coaching staff with the likes of Jodie Morris, and even some former players like Makelele and Cech. Lampard is slowly but surely finding a system that optimises Chelsea and has been shown to switch it up depending on the opponents, like his game against Mourinho's Tottenham side. Fun fact, Mourinho has never beaten Lampard as a manager (lost with Man Utd vs Derby last year).

Despite the financial pressure and the transfer ban, Chelsea have managed to put up some great footballing performances this season. They have retained the top 4 spot in a season where everyone was expecting a disaster. Despite losing 1-2, their game at home to Liverpool, arguably the world's best team right now, shows that we have potential for growing a great team. Our big wins over Tottenham and Arsenal shows us reclaiming London! Chelsea qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League in a tough group with Valencia and last year's semi-finalists Ajax. Sure we got smashed by Bayern, but very few teams wouldn't. Yes, there have been some consistency questions being raised, but that's bound to happen in a manager's first year with a team that have lost their star player.

Even outside of our younger players, we've had some great performances from the likes of Jorginho, Azpi, Kovacic, Kante, Willian and Giroud. Our midfield is so solid that I'm surprised we've been able to field so many younger players! Jorginho and Kovacic have been pretty underrated, and I see them as a discount Xavi and Iniesta type pair in some ways.

Lampard is beginning to find a style that suits Chelsea's key players. The experienced veterans have been supporting the younger stars a lot, with Willian and co. not dropping much slack. We're about to sign Ajax's Ziyech, which is huge, but I think that a few more transfers need to be made. I think we're in need of a left-sided full/wing-back. Emerson has shown potential but I'm not convinced by his defensive IQ, given how poorly he's defended in some games (especially the Arsenal one). Marcus Alonso is an experienced player, and is OK going forwards, but I think he needs more support behind him. He's much better in a 3-4-3 than in a back four. The big elephant in the room is our goalkeeper issue. Kepa seems to have fallen off massively. I think that our defence needs some reworking, but not the kind that you fix by simply buying players. Some tactical or structural improvements should be made. I think we have the players to make it really solid (besides a left back).

All in all, Chelsea have a genius (even by literal IQ definition lol) manager with many exciting young prospects that are learning from his more experienced players and staff. It may convince Roman to continue to pump money into the club and not sell. It's easy to say Tomori isn't as great as Terry was, Abraham isn't as great as Drogba was, Mount isn't as great as Lampard was, Pulisic isn't as great as Hazard was and so on, but we have to remember - they have exceeded most, if not all, expectations that have been given to them. They were asked to get top 4 and they got that. Abraham and co. have been asked to perform on the big stage, and they have done even better than what was asked of them. There is a long way to go, but I am sure that the only way is up from here.

Pallotta is prepared to continue running Roma, balancing the books with his own investment as well as player sales.

After nine years of his ownership, Pallotta could now change the focus at Roma to more sustainable costs and greater use of the youth academy to bring talents through.
Wait, you mean selling all our youth and talent for old has-beens and rejects wasn't the way to go? Fuck me sideways.

What happens to the previous league then?

EDIT: Seems like you do not need to create a new league. Code is 9qvdql and has been there for a while.

Last edited:

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
dropping some thoughts here:

i think werner is a bad sign for america's great hope pulisic but an obviously good signing for chelsea overall. i anticipate werner and abraham playing in a two where werner stretches defenses against high lines or out of possession and then drifts face-up wide left when the team has the ball against a low block with abraham moving in the box. ziyech will be between the lines distributing. on the wide left it'll be either pulisic or CHO, and i think the latter has a better profile to play multiple places and find spaces higher up against the block than pulisic who likes to come low. bummer, but they'll be p good next year lol, esp depending on if liverpool falls off / city ban from the cl gets upheld causing an exodus.

valiant and noble inter meanwhile seem destined to win absolutely 0 this year. unfort we caught the coronavirus before our games against juve and lazio (and in that second half against bvb, fuck) or else this might be a fight to the finish. the coppa was shit too, shouldve had 3 against napoli. o well. much as i love him i will take 100 mil for laurtaro, not as key to our system and we can probably find a second striker while upgrading our attacking threat from the midfield three and wingbacks, which we need.

dropping some thoughts here:

i think werner is a bad sign for america's great hope pulisic but an obviously good signing for chelsea overall. i anticipate werner and abraham playing in a two where werner stretches defenses against high lines or out of possession and then drifts face-up wide left when the team has the ball against a low block with abraham moving in the box. ziyech will be between the lines distributing. on the wide left it'll be either pulisic or CHO, and i think the latter has a better profile to play multiple places and find spaces higher up against the block than pulisic who likes to come low. bummer, but they'll be p good next year lol, esp depending on if liverpool falls off / city ban from the cl gets upheld causing an exodus.

valiant and noble inter meanwhile seem destined to win absolutely 0 this year. unfort we caught the coronavirus before our games against juve and lazio (and in that second half against bvb, fuck) or else this might be a fight to the finish. the coppa was shit too, shouldve had 3 against napoli. o well. much as i love him i will take 100 mil for laurtaro, not as key to our system and we can probably find a second striker while upgrading our attacking threat from the midfield three and wingbacks, which we need.
Werner can play on the left, I can't see Lampard playing 2 up front, so it will probably be Werner-Abraham- Ziyech on the right. Ziyech can also play 10 so u can fit in Pulisic/CHO on the right and bench Mount.

Yesterday was a good day for us Madridista. The 2-1 win against Sociedad was enough for us to take back the first place from Barcelona after giving it away to them before the Corona virus really hit. Now we on course to win the La Liga with 8 matches left to go. Also a fun fact about this years team. 20 different players have scored the goals for Real this season. That’s a record

Today also showed Liverpool's lack of depth as Robertson was missed massively while Minamino, while decent, is not comparable to Salah at all while Oxlade Chamberlain is terrible when played as a Winger.

I thought we all know Liverpool had shit depth.. and are just very lucky they've yet to have any real injuries to their core.

Insane how they've kept so fit.

I thought we all know Liverpool had shit depth.. and are just very lucky they've yet to have any real injuries to their core.

Insane how they've kept so fit.
We do have injuries (such as the Allison injury) which is why we got kicked out of the CL. Robertson has been playing with a knock for a while while Gomez, Matip and Lovren has had their time with injuries. Its mainly VVD and the front 3 which rarely got injured.

Today also showed Liverpool's lack of depth as Robertson was missed massively while Minamino, while decent, is not comparable to Salah at all while Oxlade Chamberlain is terrible when played as a Winger.
Honestly besides the starting 11 the quality of the team is lacking what it should be. When they underperform Liverpool gets in trouble. Look at CL this season. They should have beaten Atlético imo

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
nah liverpool have a perfectly good squad, sure they don't have the depth of city but going off of one game during coronavirus year and losing to athletico is not really substantive to judge their depth or their signings. athletico are not at all some easy team to beat over two legs and they match liverpool well because they like to defend anyway so they aren't giving up the types of chances liverpool get against a lot of clubs. they have good of forward and midfield depth, liverpool probably just want back ups for fullbacks and then you're looking at a squad that.has no real lack of depth.

I don't see a Smogon Fantasy Premier League Thread 19/20 so I'll post it here...

Just hit 1st place, idk who Rowan BWL is but you're giving me one hell of a run for my money, respectable team bro.

But I plan to hit top 10k by the end of the season, so good luck to the both of us :mad:

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
Liverpool both deserved to lose to atletico (first leg) and got v unlucky (second leg, where they were vastly superior and undone by two midfield rips that shouldn’t have gone in). as for the depth, depends on the game. they cant really be expected to beat the top top level teams without the full front three and the fullbacks. for farming pl points they need most of all both fullbacks and two of the front three with enough athleticism in the midfield to break up attacks and keep the ball trapped. in the everton game they just swung out on taa and tried to contain keita knowing that gomez, talented a centerback (and overall defender) as he is, cant provide the passing from width that robertson does which makes the spacing work and that no other midfielder could even simulate a creator in the final third.

the city ban and pending appeal has next year's pl interestingly in the balance. if they stay together theyll win. they are the best team this year (if not, insanely closer than the current differential), and theyll get breaks both for them and against liverpool they didnt this year. even if they lose several players w.o replacement they still have a strong shot at it imo. it's if they lose a bunch that the real questions arise. liverpool, seemingly unable to add depth (which they'll need more with AFCON iirc) wont replicate their blistering pace. and one of chelsea or united (i suspect, if one of them dont make it, the one not in the cl) will come together faster than expected. united should buy a prime-age #9 and sancho imo.

Vamooos Real Madrid, don’t know what Zidane was thinking but he had a very offensive starting 11. I think it was the first time this season I ever saw it that offensive. Although I have to say it was against Mallorca which is on the verge of moving a league down. First half was good especially Vinicius Jr who should have scored at least two but his second chance hit the crossbar. Second half was meh, beautiful free kick from our capitan sealed the deal though, 2-0. Now hoping Barcelona will spill some points in the last few games, they almost did yesterday but scored in the last 10 min I think. They are struggling so hopefully is this our year.

Further more , I saw Liverpool completely destroy Chrystal palace. They really played as champions and I got to say this was great to see because after the corona break they didn’t really have a great restart. Honestly if city loses to Chelsea which is a decent possibility imo, the first PL since 1990(?) is in the books. Klopp really made Liverpool a machine again. He is gonna make history this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)