OM 2019 OM Championship - Finals [Won by Andyboy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art by Kaiju Bunny

Welcome to the playoffs of the 2019 Other Metagames Circuit! 16 players have battled their way through 11 months, 16 tournaments, and over 400 competitors to rise to the top and a chance at winning the 2019 OM Circuit and being awarded with a ribbon to show their achievement. With just a few weeks to go, who will prove themselves the best player of the 2019 circuit and earn the first ever OM ribbon?

Specific Rules
  • This is a best-of-five single elimination tournament in the following US/UM formats: Almost Any Ability, Anything Goes, Balanced Hackmons, Mix and Mega, ZeroUsed.
  • Higher seed chooses first game, loser picks next.
  • All metagames are locked as of this post. Any changes will not affect this tournament.
  • Battles must take place on Pokemon Showdown.
  • Replays are required. Failure to save and post replays will result in coinflipping.
  • General tournament rules and regulations apply.

1/ Megazard vs 8/ Hamhamhamham
15/ Andyboy vs 10/ Funbot28
3/ Fardin vs 6/ Pigeons
4/ xavgb vs 12/ Jrdn

8/ Hamhamhamham vs 12/ Jrdn
15/ Andyboy vs 6/ Pigeons

Finals
12/ Jrdn vs 15/ Andyboy

Here are my highly factual, almost guaranteed to be right, all-important predictions. I recommend you take high offence if I haven't predicted you to win, and also just be sad because I don't expect any of my predictions to be wrong.

1/ Megazard vs 16/ Dj Breloominati♬ - I've never been the hugest dj-breloominati fan (not as a user, just as a comp player), although he has reminded me basically every time ive interacted with him that he beat me in a game of oras aaa so I guess there's that. I dont see mzard putting in huge effort into this tour but at the same time I really dont see him losing this. The only tiers I can see dj having a punters chance in are AG (cos it literally isnt hard to win a bo1 in ag even vs the best players if you got a good team with a decent mu) and ZU, but even then I can just as easily see mzard winning in those tiers too.

2/ Akashi vs
15/ Andyboy - Speaking of users im not a fan of: enter jeran (this time both as a user and a player). Hoping here that Andy gets some good help and tryhards a bit and bops jeran out r1, that'd be ideal. Personal bias aside tho, on the one side I cant think of a single one of these tiers that I think jeran is actually really stand-out good at, while at the same time I really haven't actually seen Andy play anything aside mnm, so im taking the 5th on this one. Hopefully we get to see more of both players in the mnm match than the last time they played that tier vs each other in ompl tho rofl cos the MnM match should be a good one.

3/ Fardin vs 14/ Velvet Blood - Velvet is a nice player, but Fardin seems somewhat motivated-ish and I think is just much better all round here. Can see fardin taking AG, AAA, and MnM here easily, BH is a tossup cos idt either of them play it? (I know fardin hates it, idk bout velvet) and ZU could go either way. Fardin is who I believe is coming out of this lower bracket, as despite the fact that he hasn't played since omgs, firstly rust is overrated (like seriously seriously overrated LOL) and secondly the lower bracket sucks comparatively. Also fardin knows enough people to be able to source enough good teams to get through to finals I reckon.

4/ xavgb vs 13/ Catalystic - Probably the best or second best R1 tie here, competing with the one directly below it in fact. Stresh is I think the favourite to win this entire tour, due to the fact that all around he's a top 3 oms player imo (alongside jrdn and aesf) and in this particular tour I think he has a big advantage over jrdn in the fact that hes a significantly better BH player (one of the few actual bh players in this tour) and that stab and camo (2 oms that jrdn is top tier in) aren't in this tour. But yeah back to Stresh vs Cata, this is a tricky first round mu for stresh. Can see stresh taking BH easily, and I think Cata is a bit favoured in AG (although an upset here isnt impossible) which leaves AAA, MnM, and ZU. ZU looks fairly up for grabs, and stresh is favoured in both MnM and AAA, but yeah an upset here wouldn't be the most surprising thing in the world. Nonetheless, I think stresh will secure this one, oh and also: stresh doesn't lose individual tours.

5/ Quantum Tesseract vs 12/ Jrdn - The other competition for best r1 tie. I think jrdn is the far better pure player, but the question mark is how actually motivated he is to play and win this tour. QT should have BH for breakfast lunch and dinner, as jrdn and BH are like oil and water. Jrdn should take aaa with ease, and MnM id say should be strongly in his corner, which leaves AG and ZU both of which are relatively up for grabs. If I were to have a guess, id predict QT takes AG and jrdn wraps this up with a win in ZU to win this 3-2. More than anything tho, I really just want a stresh vs jrdn quarter (even tho it really shoulda been a final) cos that'd be the best potential tie in this whole tour. That'd be fucking hype.

6 / Pigeons vs 11/ a fruitshop owner - Not entirely sure why afo is playing this, I swear he doesn't play any oms other than ZU? (is that still even an om? has it done a uturn or something with the new gen lol?) Either way, im not the biggest pigeons fan either, think his stalls are fairly overrated and dont think hes anything more than a fairly solid player, but he should have this one with a fair amount of ease. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if he came out of the quite appallingly weak lower bracket ngl. Like my money is on fardin to do that (if hes motivated) but yeah, the lower bracket is a bit of a curveball ngl. Pigeons should win any tier other than ZU here.

7/ Chloe vs
10/ Funbot28 - I think funbot wins here, as ive never really viewed Chloe as that good a comp player. She's a good AG builder and alrightish MnM builder but idt she builds or plays any of the other tiers? Can see Chloe winning in AG, with MnM being relatively up for grabs, and the rest going to funbot. *edit* It has been brought to my attention that Chloe actually plays all the tiers, something I didnt know as I have literally not seen Chloe play once since coming back aside from some stabmons in OMWC (a tier that is not in here). Still gonna stick to my fbot prediction although this could go either way I guess. Dont see either of them winning their next match vs Andy/jeran though.

8/ Hamhamhamham vs 9/ TectonicDestroyer - I honestly contemplated predicting tect here, purely cos ham wouldnt care and im worried that tect will pm me asking why I didnt predict him, and then spam my pms if he did pull off the upset, but I really just cant see it happening. Like im well aware ham will give 0 fucks here, probably not build a single team more than 5 mins before he plays, and might even just get an activity loss at some point this tour, but so long as he doesn't actually get an act L here, I cant see him losing this. Like there isnt a single tier id see tect winning in other than BH potentially cos ham won't care and will bring the most crazy meme possible. The rest should be pretty much free for ham. Side note - I really really wish this tie and Chloe vs funbot were swapped in the bracket, as ham in the lower bracket would make the tour far more interesting, coulda easily seen him making finals and he woulda replaced fardin as my pick to do so.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, ngl I completely turned my brain off for this and basically waffled and bullshitted, so id be surprised if you actually did.

GL to everyone, kinda funny that the only om tour going on atm is a gen 7 tour, but I kinda prefer that cos the current gen sucks imo.

Last edited:
Some predicts in 5 words or less
R1
1/ Megazard vs 16/ Dj Breloominati♬ -- champ
2/ Akashi vs 15/ Andyboy - both r good idk
3/ Fardin vs 14/ Velvet Blood -- fardin plays more oms?
4/ xavgb vs 13/ Catalystic - current om god, sad this is 1st round
5/ Quantum Tesseract vs 12/ Jrdn -- honch mafia > southgang
6 / Pigeons vs 11/ a fruitshop owner
7/ Chloe vs 10/ Funbot28
8/ Hamhamhamham vs 9/ TectonicDestroyer

R2
1/ Megazard vs 8/ Hamhamhamham
7/ Chloe vs 15/ Andyboy
3/ Fardin vs 6/ Pigeons
4/ xavgb vs 12/ Jrdn

R3
8/ Hamhamhamham vs 4/ xavgb
7/ Chloe vs 6/ Pigeons

R4
4/ xavgb vs 7/ Chloe

Weird how much seemingly stronger one side of the bracket is than the other, at least in terms of big names. Obv everyones in this tour for a reason though, gl to all except for those i didnt pick

1/ Megazard (AG, MnM, AAA) vs 16/ Dj Breloominati♬ (ZU, BH)
2/ Akashi (BH, ZU, AAA) vs 15/ Andyboy(MnM, AG)
3/ Fardin vs 14/ Velvet Blood
4/ xavgb (MnM, BH, AAA) vs 13/ Catalystic (AG, ZU)
5/ Quantum Tesseract (MnM, AG, ZU) vs 12/ Jrdn (AAA)
6 / Pigeons (AG, MnM, AAA) vs 11/ a fruitshop owner (ZU)
7/ Chloe (AG, MnM, BH) vs 10/ Funbot28
8/ Hamhamhamham (AAA, ZU, AG) vs 9/ TectonicDestroyer (MnM) - prove me wrong again tect

R2
1/ Megazard vs 8/ Hamhamhamham (AG, AAA, ZU)
7/ Chloe (AG) vs 2/ Akashi (ZU, MnM, AAA)
3/ Fardin (AAA, AG, BH) vs 6/ Pigeons (MnM, ZU)
4/ xavgb (MnM, AAA, BH) vs 5/ Quantum Tesseract (ZU, AG) - bh is definitely the decider of this one, probably one of the closest series in the tour

R3
8/ Hamhamhamham (ZU, AAA) vs 4/ xavgb (MnM, BH, AG)
2/ Akashi (BH, ZU) vs 3/ Fardin (MnM, AAA, AG)

R4
4/ xavgb (BH, AAA, AG) vs 3/ Fardin (MnM, ZU)

Some of these are pretty bold, otherwise it wouldnt be as fun to predict.
We got some really great match-ups and hopefully great games ahead so I'll be looking forward to what these players have in store in the mostly figured out gen 7 metas.

Let’s make some predictions.

Megazard (AG, AAA, MnM) vs [BH] DJ Breloominati (ZU) I really don’t see this going any other way. MZ could definitely lose BH since it’s never been a focus of his but honestly I wouldn’t rule him out in ZU either. An upset here isn’t strictly impossible but it would surprise me.

Akashi [ZU, BH] vs [AAA, AG] Andyboy (MnM) I predicted Akashi to win more games but I bet nobody’s gonna read that anyway and I really want to bold Andy here so I will.

Fardin (MnM, AAA, BH) vs [BH] Velvet Blood (AG) Already over.

Stresh (MnM, BH) vs [ZU, AAA] Catalystic (AG) Catalystic is a really solid player, but Stresh is one of the worst R1 picks he could possibly get, so I’m unfortunately going to have to predict against him. If Cata gets some solid teambuilding help he could well flip this but it’s going to be an uphill battle.

Quantum Tesseract vs Jrdn There’s no winning move here. If I predict myself, I look cocky, if I predict Jrdn, I look dumb.

Pigeons (AG, MnM, BH) vs [AAA] A fruitshop Owner (ZU) I really don’t see Pigeons losing here. He might not be as good at MnM as Stresh is, but he’s still quite good and I’d bet on someone who plays it over someone being passed teams. AG should be a clean win, and while Pigeons isn’t as good at BH as his main tiers I’d give him the edge there too.

Chloe (AG, MnM) vs [AAA] Funbot28 (ZU, BH) This is series is honestly criminally underrated, and it’s one of the ones I’m most hyped for. We have two really solid players going at it, and unlike some of the other sets there’s some solid overlap in what tiers Funbot and Chloe main so we can look forward to some high level games here.

Hamhamhamham (AAA, AG, ZU) vs [BH] Tectonic Destroyer (MnM) Ham could definitely choke this, but there’s no denying who the obvious favorite to win is.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
wow I've just been informed that this exists. I'm glad to see Smogon is staying true to it's roots and all of you pieces of shit are duking it out for a ribbon absolutely none of you care about for the sake of clout on this pocket monsters forum >:). I pity all of you although at the same time I wish I was in this star studded line up of hooligans with nothing better to do so I can win this ribbon myself.

(50) Megazard vs (50) Dj Breloominati♬ - I don't care at all about this matchup. I hope dj wins so we can see Issue #8237482 of MZ complaining about losing for some bs reason, but then again I prolly shouldn't say that bc MZ will beat me up. I will remain neutral.
Akashi (0) vs (100) Andyboy - I've never bolded a name so quick. Andybitch has called me hotdog water on so many occasions, not only that, but he has ghosted me every single time I've asked him to play Toontown with me. I've carried this guy in Club Penguin minigames so many fuckin times, I swear he exists to just constantly weigh me down. Despite all of this I will be bolding him bc I don't think I can bring myself to bold jeran in literally any situation, I have standards.
Fardin (100) vs (100) Velvet Blood - This already happened, both of these users are incredibly nice to me tho so I dislike seeing one of them lose. I'd like to request that The Immortal lets them both pass this round and they can tag team as one slot in the next round.
xavgb (60) vs (40) Catalystic - Yeah cata is good but Stresh can go 0-x in every tour in existence and I'd still have faith in him in like the majority of matchups. As the great Gross Sweep once said, "he's the best cap player by miles", I don't recall if he actually said that it was quite a while ago.
(40) Quantum Tesseract vs (60) Jrdn - I like QT but idt his infinite knowledge of every meta that's ever existed is enough to overcome the dynamaxed dugtrio that is Jrdn (a mountain). Jrdn is also on my ltpl team currently so all bias goes his way.
Pigeons (55) vs (45) a fruitshop owner - I love fruitman so much and that also applies to Chris Anderson himself (Chris Anderson was an NBA player with the nickname "Birdman", I call Pigeons "Birdman" frequently, for context...) I haven't talked to either of them in quite a while tho. I will give the nod to Pigeons because he prolly knows most of the metas better than the man whom sells various fruits.
Chloe (50) vs (50) Funbot28 - I have very little to say about this matchup. I feel like the only funny way to go about this is to make some joke about both users being the only females in this thing but I can't think of anything. I have no faith in this being a good series, there'll prolly be a large amount of hax and mu, or just extremely stale and boring games.
(87.7) Hamhamhamham vs (12.3) TectonicDestroyer - I will donate my life's savings ($3.27) to a charity of tect's choice if he somehow pulls this upset off. I have no faith, literally none. Good luck tho!

I hope this is more entertaining than both OMPL and OMWC combined, however even then this will still probably suck complete horse. Good luck to all of you and I hope I am not being overbearing with this piece of trash post and I hope none of you take me too seriously bc I am the kind of guy who listens to Wing$ by Macklemore in 2019 (a loser).

To be clear I am actually a fan of Wing$ and I'm not just using it to call myself a loser!!

Last edited:

Dj Breloominati♬

born to play, forced to john
is a Top Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
lost in a fun series, ggs to megazard and best wishes to everyone who remain in this tour :blobwizard:
Im quite proud of myself , for taking it to g5 and it would not have been possible without all the wonderful prep help that i got.
Terracotta for that spicy ag team
uhuhuhu7 for the zu prep help and tests
Catalystic xavgb LaBalladeDesCieux Sylveon. for helping me with aaa prep , and putting up with my constant ranting :p
Willdbeast for the bh prep , and for putting up with the many test games
and lastly huge huge shoutouts to Andyboy for like spending an hour every day , to help me with tests in all tiers and for that marvellous mnm team
(special s/o to lbdc again for helping with lots of tests)

However cringe this may seem , this is to thank everyone who've taken time out of their schedule to help me prep , srsly it means a lot :psytear:
till next time ;)

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
i will nurture any lost souls looking for a guiding light in gen 7 balanced hackmons... fr tho this metagame is fucked and if you don't main it i feel bad for you, if you do main it i feel worse for you, let the clicking commence :psysly:

$$$ on stresh, gl to all, go friends !

vivalospride even if its not a team tour do you also find it suspicious that none of the troublesome threesome are in this tournament ??

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Before anyone asks, some formats are only on rom.psim.us at the moment but I’ll try to get it on SmogTours asap.
can we please have an update on this? jrdn and qt tried to play mnm on rom for their series and a pinsirite terrakion didn't change typing, so it got ohkod by precipice. it's really bad look for the games to have to be played on a side server where the mechanics aren't functional.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
I going to have to ask for an extension. Funbot and I initially scheduled to play "any day after the 26th" but she got busy with stuff and was unable to play any time before the deadline. We're currently scheduled to play in 28 hours from now, which is 24 hours after the current deadline. Hope this is okay.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Gonna ask for a day extension to play Chloe. Been away in a location without wifi over weekend and it was hard to find a time before with all the festivities going on.

Edit: I am dumb and didn't scroll up but ye this is me confirming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)