Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Marianne Williamson

Votes: 19 3.5%
  • Mike Bloomberg

Votes: 12 2.2%

• Total voters

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Underdog candidates few from outside their state have heard of have gone on to win the nomination before. Jimmy Carter comes to mind.
No need to even go back that far. Bernie had an insane showing in 2016 against one of the biggest names in politics. He was polling under 15% in what was basically a 2-person race at this time in 2015.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Can't wait until this first debate is over so that the 4 people still talking about Andrew Yang have a reason to stop.
idk Yang does speak really intelligently on a lot of issues. He's got that Pete flair of being underqualified but sounding very qualified. He's also great at pulling the anti identity politics crowd.

I'd happily vote for pete in the primary and definitely am not voting for Yang, but i deifnitely see the appeal for the latter, and he'll probably rise after debates

Hard disagree that drumming up leftist radical politics is a bad play. Global economy is about to take a huge hit with eurozone and negative yield bonds. Leftist candidates are good picks, and Sanders know the game.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
MikeDawg the problem is shit like this https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/joe-biden-cory-booker-segregation.html where Joe Biden says he misses “civility” of working with racist senators (recently). And when Corey Booker says that’s inappropriate, Joe Biden demands he apologize.

Do you have any sources on Bernie opposing busing on the whole? I googled it and only found these articles:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/479739/ (Bernie arrested for protesting segregation)
And https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/05/joe-biden-busing-problem-226791 (Biden supporting segregation).

The part that bothered me most about Bernie’s tweet was that it implied Warren was the choice of corporatists because the article was about Warren. He stated in the interview you linked that it was not directed at her which just makes the tweet nonsensical. He also stated that he believes he is suffering in the polls because some people want to see a younger president or a woman president. I don’t think that that’s necessarily false, I certainly don’t think people in their late 70s or 80s should be president. The claim that it has a large impact on the polling is incredibly dumb, but I don’t think the politicians themselves should be speculating on polls.

What I really don’t understand is why you keep posting exaggerated shit like “Bernie’s campaign committed suicide!!!” while continually defending Biden who is the most problematic candidate. Both in terms of politics and also in terms of continually putting his foot in his mouth.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Do you have any sources on Bernie opposing busing on the whole? I googled it and only found these articles:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/479739/ (Bernie arrested for protesting segregation)
And https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/05/joe-biden-busing-problem-226791 (Biden supporting segregation).
The screenshot is from this newspaper.

https://archive.org/stream/middleburyNewspapers_1974-09-19/9311_djvu.txt

It's not the focus of the article, but in it he clearly says busing is a bad idea because it would heighten racial tensions, as if that's a valid reason to hold back on desegregation.

The part that bothered me most about Bernie’s tweet was that it implied Warren was the choice of corporatists because the article was about Warren. He stated in the interview you linked that it was not directed at her which just makes the tweet nonsensical.
Of course he said that. That's damage control. He directly quoted a one-line tweet saying Warren is doing well, then implied she was a corporate shill and he's the one-and-only progressive savior.

He also stated that he believes he is suffering in the polls because some people want to see a younger president or a woman president. I don’t think that that’s necessarily false
In the time between now and the start of civilization, when has it ever been expeditious to be a woman in politics, no less a young woman? In fact, the 2 front runners RIGHT NOW are some of the oldest white men who have ever run. Claiming that Warren's gender of all things is a factor in why she is beating Bernie is absurdly desperate and misogynistic. It pairs incredibly well with his equally desperate tweet.

What I really don’t understand is why you keep posting exaggerated shit like “Bernie’s campaign committed suicide!!!”
Considering Bernie's crashing poll numbers and the flak he's getting over the past couple days, I'd say that, yes, this is a significant turning point in his decline. The fact that his strategy has shifted to, "The polls show I beat Trump (but not as much as Biden)!" and, "If you vote for anyone else, including Elizabeth Warren, you're a corporate shill!" is hugely symptomatic of that. In what world will that strategy revitalize his chances? The only thing he's accomplished over the past few days is turning away people who were on the fence or had him as their second choice. Did you know that even before this stunt, 35% of voters wanted him to drop out? He's only second behind De Blasio (who is in the 40s) in that regard.

while continually defending Biden who is the most problematic candidate. Both in terms of politics and also in terms of continually putting his foot in his mouth.
When did I defend Biden? In fact, I've bashed him multiple times throughout the last few pages and said his history should be outright disqualifying.

I've definitely noted that he isn't going to instantly crash-and-burn like many in this thread hope, and the fact that his poll numbers have gone up since March is pretty indicative of that. There's a difference between siding with his actions and pointing out the reality of his popularity and ability to deflect scandals.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Your third quote didn’t capture the relevant portion of my post. I specifically said that people wanting there to be a woman or young president doesn’t have an impact on the polling and his comments on that are unnecessary and probably inaccurate. But it probably is true that some people want a younger or woman president. For example, me, the president would ideally be younger is something I believe. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Life update: I want Kamala, Biden, Warren in that order. Biden's really been hitting some strong moments lately (like climate policy and skipping Iowa to attend granddaughter's graduation) that make me really appreciate him as a candidate. Same with Kamala, such as her abortion plan.

Warren keeps dipping her hand into imo toxic rhetoric, particularly her recent comments about how someone discussing cost and feasibility means they won't fight for you. Completely rejecting the value of pragmatism and honesty for political points is not a good look. Can't make progressive if the bills don't get passed.we should appreciate when candidates are honest about the viability of their plans and how they will address possible roadblocks.
“Biden’s comments are disqualifying.”

1 week earlier: “Biden is my second choice.”

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
1 week earlier: “Biden is my second choice.”
Oh dang, true. But you said I've been defending Biden, and there's no defense of anything in that comment. If the idea is that it's hypocritical for me to defend Biden while admonishing Bernie's recent misogyny, then I'm not sure how my comment praising Biden's environmental plan is relevant. And at the point when I'd made that comment, Biden was having a pretty great, gaff-free run (hence his rising poll numbers). That combined with his massive lead against Trump was plenty of reason to strongly consider him.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I have to wonder how many different, completely contradictory things a #NeverBernie centrist has to believe in order to make their ideology sound like anything other than reactionary spite politics. You have to concurrently believe that Bernie is less progressive than Elizabeth Warren (or Kamala Harris - lmao) while at the same time defend the right-wing think tanks like Third Way who are warming up to Warren. You have to disagree with everything Third Way stands for - opposition to Medicare for All, opposition to Wall Street reform, support for many Republicans - while marching in lockstep with them on Bernie. You have to interpret Bernie praising Elizabeth Warren for inspiring women to run and vote for other women as misogyny. Why are you more mad at Bernie for calling Warren a corporate shill (which he didn't even do...) when a literal corporate shill think tank said it ten minutes earlier?

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I have to wonder how many different, completely contradictory things a #NeverBernie centrist has to believe in order to make their ideology sound like anything other than reactionary spite politics.
You can dislike someone without disliking their platform. For example, Bernie and Tulsi. Good thing there are 2 other candidates with similar (and most better) platforms.

Also, tons of people are spiteful of Bernie's role in getting Trump elected in 2016 by staying in well past his time and using those few months to attack Hillary. Good guess!

You have to concurrently believe that Bernie is less progressive than Elizabeth Warren (or Kamala Harris - lmao)
Someone with a past and recent history of making misogynistic and racist comments is indeed less progressive than Elizabeth Warren, who has practically the same worldview minus the occasional bigotry (apart from the Native American gaff).

Plus, it's absolutely fair to support someone slightly less "progressive" (whatever that means anymore) if they will be better at the job, especially for president who barely deals in policy anyway. The only major differences that I can tell are that Warren is less committed to M4A than Bernie and Kamala, Kamala is more in favor of trade than Bernie and Liz, and Bernie is more committed to anti-immigration, anti-identitypolitics, and anti-intervention than Liz and Kamala (though it would be disingenuous to pretend his record shows him to be a complete dove).

Meanwhile, both Kamala and Liz have had far more successful careers than Bernie, which is pretty important when you want to, you know, actually effect change.

while at the same time defend the right-wing think tanks like Third Way who are warming up to Warren.
Not really. It's hilarious that you're using this argument though when a common talking point from Bernie fans is that Republicans like him. You know, the Republicans who are ACTUALLY right-wing. I could easily say that to support Bernie, you have to "defend the racist and reactionary groups like Republicans who are warming up to Bernie," and it would be far more incriminating. I wouldn't say that, because it's stupid, but you get the idea.

You have to interpret Bernie praising Elizabeth Warren for inspiring women to run and vote for other women as misogyny.
Not really. Especially when he blatantly implied that those women (like Warren) should step aside by opting to run again in 2020. Didn't he say at some point that he only ran in 2016 because Warren wasn't running? Now Warren is running (and beating him), and he not only decided to run again but also openly attacked her. Kind of contradictory, dontcha think?

Plus, he has a history of DISCOURAGING people from voting for women. For example:

1986: Voting for Madeleine Kunin because she is a woman would be "a sexist position"

2016: "It is not enough to say I'm a woman, vote for me" referencing Hillary Clinton

2019: Elizabeth Warren is catching up because she is a woman.

Why are you more mad at Bernie for calling Warren a corporate shill (which he didn't even do...) when a literal corporate shill think tank said it ten minutes earlier?
1. Yes, he did.

2. Maybe because the "corporate shill think tank" isn't running for president? Maybe they don't have nearly as much influence as that particular candidate? Maybe I don't value the option of or support that "corporate shill think tank" in the first place. Wasn't Bernie the one who came up with the "no negativity" pact? Hmm...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)