XY NU [23:12:30] wepwn: i sometimes lick my ds [23:12:35] wepwn: to become one with smash

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Introduction

Fuck introductions. I made this like two month ago for aim as he needed a squad for some youtube content. After a while, I saw people on the ladder using it and calling it 'PokeaimMD's team >:D', and since some of my friends (aim, hugo, wepwn, and probably someone else) used it a bunch in the first few rounds of NU Open (I think the team itself went like 6-1, but I didn't watch every games they played so I might be wrong!), I decided that I should RMT it.

Teambuilding

The team was made around Nasty Plot Liepard. When Spiritomb left the tier in September, Psychic- and Ghost-types became really popular (you will usually see one or two of them on most teams) and Liepard could easily take advantage of them and set up on them. Copycat Dark Pulse is also really crisp since it pretty much gives Liepard a 80bp STAB with priority.

Choice Specs Typhlosion was added as it is one of my favorite wallbreaker in NU and it works well with Liepard as it can 2HKO Assault Vest Hariyama with Specs Extrasensory or easily weaken it with Fire Blast / Eruption + entry hazards. Really good teammate for Liepard.

Next things I added was the defensive backbone of the team. Seismitoad + Garbodor are amazing together and provide Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes to help Liepard and Typhlosion. Hariyama was also added as the team was weak to special attackers in general, which Assault Vest Hariyama handle quite easily.

Finally, I added a Choice Scarf Rotom as it seemed to work well on the team. As FLCL always says: 'Rotom counters everything.'

The Squad

Liepard @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Copycat
- Substitute / Encore

I don't know why I rarely see this set being used since it's so good. Only things that resist Dark in XY are Fairy-, Fighting-, and Dark-types which this team doesn't have much trouble against. The most common Fairy-type in NU is Slurpuff and it doesn't even enjoy taking +2 Dark Pulse. Copycat is used to have some nice +1 priority Dark Pulse to clean offensive teams and beat Choice Scarf users that think they can safely force Liepard out after it got a kill. I like using Substitute as it can easily force out Uxie, Mesprit, Mismagius, Rotom, and set up sweepers fearing Encore, but some people prefer the utility of Encore, so use the one you prefer. Substitute is also really nice at the moment since most Audino run Knock Off these days, which can't break Liepard's Substitute.

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Eruption
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory

Lord Typhlosion. Fire / Psychic / Grass coverage is amazing as usual and Specs Eruption hurts. Yes, this team doesn't have entry hazard control and I am using a Typhlosion. Part of it is that I never care about hazards (if you played BW2 NU, you are used to it), but also because I couldn't really find space for one. Typhlosion doesn't really care about entry hazards anyway; Choice Specs Blaze Fire Blast does more than Max HP Eruption, so why bother with a Rapid Spin user? Just spam Eruption early game and click Fire Blast later in the game to watch stuff drop.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

One of the most reliable Stealth Rock user in NU. EVs hit a Leftovers number and gives Seismitoad a bit of SpD bulk, which can come in handy to take some random Hidden Power Grass. Not much to say about it since it's a standard set; Set up Stealth Rock, spam Scald and Knock Off to cripple stuff and use Earthquake when needed. One of my Gatr check and also my Electric-type immunity.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes / Seed Bomb

Garbodor is one of my favorite Pokemon in NU. Aftermath + Rocky Helmet and Spikes / Toxic Spikes is so good. Gunk Shot is for STAB and to hit Fairy-types or just to do a good amount to anything. Drain Punch is for Pawniard and other Steel-types. Seed Bomb can be nice to hit Seismitoad and Rhydon as they try to switch on Garbodor thinking they can get Stealth Rock for free, but I prefer Toxic Spikes. Obviously Spikes is used because like 95% of Liepard, Typhlosion, and Rotom's checks/counters don't have reliable recovery, so being able to wear them down quickly is nice. EVs are to outspeed Max Speed base 55s, but you can easily run a bit more to outspeed Max Speed Adamant Pawniard.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Assault Vest Hariyama is fat. Really fat. He is my favorite Fighting-type in NU for multiple reasons (Thick Fat, one of the best special attacker sponge in the tier with Assault Vest, and can use Guts / Choice Band sets to wallbreak). I personally prefer Close Combat / Knock Off / Fake Out / Bullet Punch as it let him revenge kill stuff more easily (Ninetales is a threat, but with Fake Out + SR + Spikes + TSpikes it is not as big of a deal), but you can easily run Earthquake, Ice Punch, or Heavy Slam somewhere. 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe can also work if you want it to take two Specs Typhlosion Extrasensory with Stealth Rock up, but I like being able to take Psyshock and some physical moves more easily.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Good n reliable Rotom. Spikes + Volt Switch is nice, and Choice Scarf Rotom helps the team against fast Pokemon such as Archeops and Shell Smash users. Trick is really nice as it allows Rotom to cripple something like Lickilicky and Audino, making it easier for Liepard to beat them. You can use Will-O-Wisp over Thunderbolt if you are afraid of Kangaskhan / Pawniard / stuff. Not much else to say.

Conclusion

Aim needs to give his friends more shoutouts in his vids :[. Well played Rain teams can 6-0 this team and not much can be done to fix this (unless you are real and run Sunny Day Liepard), so be careful. Kangaskhan can also be an issue if you don't play well around it (usually what you want to do is make it die to recoil with Garbodor, and if it survive that just revenge kill it with Liepard (Seismitoad and Hariyama can both take a Double-Edge from full health, and Typhlosion can take a Sucker Punch easily).

Shoutout to my frens

Import
Liepard @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Copycat
- Substitute

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Eruption
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory

Last edited:

gr8astard

Here comes the waterworks!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Confirming I don't know shit about NU but I don't lose with this team
Don't know why i didn't use it the round i lost either
I suppose as a pseudo-rate, I faced a rain team using this team (even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't well played), but between Seismitoad, AV Hariyama and Liepard to revenge I think the match-up was manageable.

fantastic job guildmaster and thanks for sharing D:

standard.soulgazerbalance

This team has been successful in tournaments and is pretty standard stuff, so it's obviously not weak to much. I honestly don't think that most Kangaskhan would be too troublesome for you. As long as you get up a Toxic Spike, the opponent is going to be really pressured with it because it will likely be taking 12% from Stealth Rock upon switching in, 12% from poison damage every turn it stays in, 16% from Rocky Helmet every time it hits Garbodor, Double-Edge recoil, and 25% from Garbodor's Aftermath. You just really have to chip away at Kangaskhan to beat it, which is fine for this build. The real problem would be Kangaskhan with Healing Wish support. There's no easy way to fix this of course because any team somewhat weak to a Pokemon is going to be even weaker to it when they effectively get to use it twice.

Incidentally, without Encore on Liepard, SD Unburden Sceptile is a pretty huge threat to your team. Even with Encore, you have to switch Liepard in at the right time in order to prevent setup. Thankfully, it can't set up on much other than Seismitoad, Typhlosion locked into HP Grass, which will be rare, and Rotom locked into Thunderbolt. Still, if it sets up on Seismitoad in particular, you're in for some trouble because Rotom never 2HKO's (it's a nice 2% chance to 2HKO, but Sceptile carries Sitrus Berry and outspeeds and OHKOs once Sitrus is activated), and Fake Out + Bullet Punch also does roughly 50%, which means you'll probably have to sac Rotom and another Pokemon in order to kill it. Sceptile has pretty hot coverage, so it's not too easy to wall. But you could ease up this weakness by running Icy Wind over Knock Off on Seismitoad. This is obviously an optional choice--SD Sceptile isn't too common, and even though it does a lot of damage to your team, it doesn't auto-win against you. But Icy Wind does about a third to Sceptile, keeping it out of Sitrus range and making it slower than Liepard and Typhlosion. This way, even though you might lose Seismitoad while trying to prevent its setup, at least there will be nothing on your team that it can comfortably set up on. Plus, Icy Wind is a cool move anyways, so it's not like you're running it just for one Pokemon that isn't super common.

Not much else to say. Nice team, and always run Encore on Liepard so that you don't get donked by SmashPass yn :pirate:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hollywood only player that use smashpass is Iplaytennislol smh.

And yeah Kangaskhan + Healing Wish is really hard for this team to handle (hwish so gud). I actually kind of wanted to add a Taunt Roost Archeops over Typhlosion when building this since I realised that I didn't really have a resist for it (I know Archeops isn't the best Normal-type resist ever, but it fits the team). Might actually try it over Typh.

As for SD Sceptile, yes it is annoying for my team, but it actually depends on its spread and item. Some people use a bulkier spread with a Sitrus Berry, others (like me) run itemless. I never really had an issue against it though; Fake Out + Bullet Punch on Hariyama, entry hazards, the damage it will take switching on Seismitoad to try to set up or force it out, etc. I can even get recoil by switching in Garbodor on a predicted Leaf Blade or Acrobatics. Sceptile also risk getting burnt by Scald if Toxic Spikes aren't up. Kinda more of a threat on paper, but not in practice.

Thanks for the rate :)

Last edited:
No spikes lilli this time :'[
However I had a similar team to this which ran Colbur Mismagius over Rotom as spin blocker. Honestly Liepard fails to sweep majority of the time as long as shit like granbull and yama are everywhere and that's where mismagius comes in. It can come in on standard yama and beat it with D-bond, clearing up the way for Liepard sweep. More importantly it spin blocks rather effectively. Since you lose speed and struggle with Gatr, I recommend LO Sub Special Sceptile as late came cleaner in place of Typhlosion. Without rotom, vivillion becomes a big threat, so Copycat>Encore on Liepard.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Karane

I don't really see Liepard as a sweeper. I see it more as my answer to Psychic- and Ghost-types which usually wreck balance teams (I want to call it an anti-meta Pokemon, but I am sure some people will disagree with me lol). I just happen to use the Nasty Plot set over the physically offensive one as my team would struggle with stall otherwise. Speaking of stall, I regret showing QoL Knock Off + Encore Audino + Heal Bell Lanturn because now Substitute Liepard isn't as effective against his stall :(. At least not every stall teams can find a spot for Lanturn..

As for Hariyama, that's the reason why I run Typhlosion. Entry Hazards + Typhlosion putting pressure on Hariyama + Rotom + Garbodor can easily wear it down for Liepard. I even run Speed EVs on my Hariyama to give me another way to beat it (I didn't reveal my Speed creep in my RMT for a reason :toast: ). Granbull hates entry hazards and Garbodor too.

I also need Rotom to cover Shell Smash abusers, Vivillon, give the team momentum (Rotom works very well on this team), and a decent switch in to Archeops. Changing Rotom to a Mismagius would only make me weaker to those (I guess I could use Scarf Mismagius with Trick + Nasty Plot, but its weak / can't give me momentum and can't switch on Archeops).

Finally, I don't think I struggle with Feraligatr too much as long as I don't play bad around it: I got entry hazards, it can't really switch on anything (Typhlosion can 2HKO it with its STABs), Seismitoad, and I got Garbodor's Rocky Helmet + Aftermath and Hariyama's Fake Out if necessary. It also can't really set up for free. The worst situations that I can think of is if it sets up on Garbodor and it misses Gunk Shot or if it sets up after my Seismitoad got burnt and Toad fails to burn Gatr with Scald.

Thanks for the rate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)