ORAS RU 2999

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Introduction

I haven't posted an RMT in a while, and I noticed the lack of RU RMTs for this new meta game which is full of interesting drops. I decided to post this team because I have had some success with it, and I think its a pretty neat balance team with a lot of opportunities to gain momentum.

The concept for this team came from a previous team of mine (all the way back from the zoro-yan meta in XY RU), in which I used a mixed attacking Abomasnow to break down teams for sub CM Meloetta to sweep. On this team, the roles are reversed, and choice specs Meloetta is here to put major dents into opposing teams allowing SD Mega Abomasnow to clean up late game.

This team is 15-0 on the ladder and has done well against some good RU players (3-0 vs sweep, 1-0 vs kotori, 1-0 vs Rozes). I would have laddered more for a cool peak or something but I finished finals on Monday and have been busy with Christmas stuff since.

As stated above, I began with Meloetta and Abomasnow, Meloetta's ability to lure in Steel-types such as Bronzong and Mega Steelix, and weaken them for SD Abomasnow makes them a formidable offensive core. However this core has trouble with fighting-types as well as fire-types (particularly Houndoom). As such Fletchinder was added, because it is a very solid offensive check to both Fighting-types and Fire-types, especially given the physical frailty of the Fire-types in RU. Adding Fletchinder also mandates hazard removal, Blastoise had just dropped and fit well, giving me a better fire switch in, and a way to absorb status (as you'll see on the set).

This is where it got slightly more difficult, I knew I needed something for offensive Ice-types, particularly Mega Glalie, tho Mega Abomasnow and Sneasel could also be an issue. My initial reaction was to put a Choice Scarf Durant on the team, but I also needed rocks, and I knew it would be pretty difficult to fit a rocker on this team with Durant. Additionally I really knew I needed a rock resist, and having Durant as my Steel-type also severly limited my options. At this point I thought of Mawile, which I had seen hyped in the RU forum but had always written off as undeserving of the hype. Mawile did a lot of things for me, it provided SR without killing momentum, it is a sturdy Mega Glalie, Tyrantrum, and Sneasel counter, and allowed me to use another ice weak mon as my last. Scarf Flygon was added in the last slot because this team was a little slow and because it provided an additional fire-resist, and emergency hazard control.

On to the team.

The Team:

Side of Paradise (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Mega Abomasnow is one of the hardest Pokemon to switch into in the tier, especially since before it makes a move, you don't know whether its a Physical SD variant or a Specially Based Mixed set. In this case Mega Abomasnow is the SD set, which functions as a solid win condition, and can easily sweep weakened teams with a +2 Ice Shard. Defensive teams can really struggle against fast SD Mega Aboma, so I just went max speed, cause why not. Wood Hammer is the STAB move of choice over Seed Bomb, as against defensive teams it allows Abomasnow to deal major damage to the opponents defensive core when boosted, while against offensive teams, Wood Hammer does not need a boost to blast through their frailer pokemon.

Lies (Meloetta) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
Choice Specs Meloetta is a pretty cool Pokemon, as right now most Meloetta seem to be running offensive Calm Mind with Colbur, so people don't expect Meloetta to hit as hard as it does off the bat with Choice Specs. Meloetta also naturally draws in Steel-types and deals heavy damage with Focus Blast or even a resisted STAB move, which is very helpful for facilitating a Mega Abomasnow sweep. I've chosen to run U-turn on Meloetta, though Dazzling Gleam or Shadow Ball are options in this slot to hit Spiritomb and Bronzong respectively, but U-turn allows Meloetta to maintain momentum. Meloetta also has ridiculously high natural special bulk, allowing it to function as a soft check for opposing Psychics such as Sigilyph, which would otherwise be very threatening to this team.

Runaway (Fletchinder)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Def / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Standard SD Fletchinder also follows the teams theme of overwhelming opposing Steel-types to allow for Mega Abomasnow to sweep. However, this actually tends to sweep opposing teams much more often, thanks to a priority base 110 STAB move. Thanks to its typing and Will-o-wisp, it actually still contributes to the defensive synergy of the team in spite of the fact that it isn't very bulky. The Special Defense and HP investment allow it to hard check LO Tangrowth while the Physical Defense investment means that it can take any hit + burned hit from Choice Band Escavalier. Fletchinder also has an excellent match up against most balanced teams in the tier, as it is hard to revenge kill, but gets free set up on basically every defensive fairy in the tier.

Hazey (Blastoise) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Refresh
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Blastiose is a natural addition for any team packing two SR weak Pokemon will need some sort of hazard control, and defensive Blastoise is a pretty great option in this meta. Its naturally high SpD allow it to deal with most Houndoom, and any Delphox lacking Grass Knot, while its bulk after investment on the physical side allow it to soak up most unboosted physical hits. Scald and Rapid Spin are essentially mandatory on any Blastoise in RU, and Toxic allows Blastoise to defeat all ghosts in RU with the exception of Sleep Talk Spiritomb. Refresh was the move of choice in the last slot, as it allows it to deal more easily with opposing Blastoise, Jellicent, and Alomomola, by simply Refreshing off the status and letting toxic wear them down. Because my team is very physically oriented, defeating opposing Scald users is pretty important for my team, and Blastoise does just that.

Extraordinary (Mawile) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance

Mawile does a lot of important things for this team, mainly checking the myriad of Physical threats that are common in the RU tier and set up Stealth Rock. It's typing and intimidate allow it to deal with Mega Glalie, Tyrantrum, Sneasel, Mega Abomasnow (post mega evolution or whenever if physical), SD Absol, and Physical Sharpedo. It also provides a lot of momentum with a slow Baton Pass, which allows my heavy hitters in Choice Specs Meloetta and Mega Abomasnow in for free. I actually took this set from the NU analysis and changed Play Rough to Iron Head because I decided hitting Ice-types was more important to this team than hitting Dark-types. In the final slot I put in Swords Dance, which may seem kind of redundant on this team given the fact I have 2 SD mons, but it is really cool in conjunction with Flygon, and also allows Mawile to deal with sleep talk Spiritomb without Play Rough.

Moondust (Flygon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Defog

The final member of my team is Choice Scarf Flygon which allows me to offensively check a large portion of the tier, including opposing Scarf Mons such as Tyrantrum, or set up sweepers like SD Drapion and NP Houndoom. I usually only ever click U-turn or EQ, or I guess Outrage against teams with no fairies, so Defog is pretty cool in the last slot against teams that don't allow stoise to spin, and its not like I miss another move there. A couple times I've managed to get Flygon a +2 boost passed to it from Mawile, and it can easily destroy teams lacking a ground immune Pokemon (or a Steel / Fairy).

Conclusion

Well that's the team! The thing I've enjoyed most with the team is how easy it is to keep momentum, due to the offensive pressure Meloetta / Aboma / Fletch / Flygon can put on the opponent, while Blastoise and Mawile provide a solid defensive core to fall back on, and Mawile even provides a slow BP for its teammates. The importable is below if you want to try out the team yourself n_n.

Side of Paradise (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Lies (Meloetta) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Runaway (Fletchinder)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Def / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Hazey (Blastoise) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Refresh
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Extraordinary (Mawile) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance

Moondust (Flygon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Defog

also apparently I saved no replays except this one which was against rozes using mono dark (a surprisingly viable strategy in RU e_e).

Thanks for reading!​

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also this thread was mostly a vehicle for my 3k post TBH.

in chronological order

-Tsunami- - Pretty much the reason I got into IRC, because you were by far the most active person in #rarelyused at the time, I probably wouldn't have spent nearly as much time on smogon / IRC if it weren't for #rarelyused and that channel would not be the same without out you.

Molk - IRC is cool and all, but it doesn't mean shit if you don't have friends. I guess I should be thanking Kenny for telling you to invite me to TAONU, but I'm glad you did, because I am still friends with most of those guys and you. There are 0 people I'd rather lead a tier with, so thanks for reigning me in when I get a little too serious :p.

SilentVerse - You've had a pretty large influence on me as a user whether you know it or not, part of the reason I was so interested in tiering policy is because our discussion about the BW2 Prankster Assist suspect test which you totally changed my mind on. You were also a very helpful user and I was super surprised you were so much younger than me cause you are very mature for your age :p. Please never let LoL absorb you completely TBH.

blarajan - I really appreciate you sticking your neck out for me and making yondie buy me for SPL 5, I like to think I was helpful to the team in spite of the fact I flopped during my one chance. You have a great attitude and are always a pleasure to talk to, even if we don't talk as much as we used to.

(makeup)ryan - The first people that got me onto skype, which was important as IRC was (is) slowly dying. Congratulations on being the only people on this site with a comparable amount of sass to myself, its very appreciated.

tennisaceOglemi - Thanks for believing I was responsible enough to be a Smod, for some reason! There are pretty much 0 people whose opinions on stuff on this site mean as much to me as your guys' do. Also idk how you put up with as much shit as you do with only being slightly bitchier than me oglemi, :p

Sweep Sam - You guys are really great to talk to. Sweep you are an extremely kind user in spite of how much I offend you. I appreciate your ability to articulate your thoughts Sam, you're one of the few people whose viewpoints I can respect even if I don't agree with them :P.

If I tag you in the following section it means that I enjoy our interactions and that you are probably a good user, if you aren't there and you think you deserve to be, its cause I secretly hate you, or I forgot.

stegaf lla ru UNOAT

TROP passion ebeast soviet Fusxfaranto dcae FLCL soulgazer Imanalt

(makeup)

Arcticblast Cherub Agent The Wolf ANTEMORTEM Aurora Blitzamirin Zebraiken shrang SteelEdges jrp

BW2 NU

Lasagne Raseri Lolk DTC Incon Robert Alfons Turtleye Sidfrid Nozzle Brawlfest

BW2 RU

DittoCrow Hot N Cold ss234 Omfuga Nails

2015 BIGs

Finchinator Laga McMeghan Jirachee Funkasaurus Mizuhime Esteemed User Ginku

Current RU Community

Esidisi Ping_Pong_Along Spirit Arikado galbia Diogo Kushalos Scythe. esca Jarii Lord Death Man MrAldo thecrystalonix 49

(mmm)

Nova Magnemite macle QuoteCS Minus unfixable P Squared GatoDelFuego Kingler12345 Bouffalant Lemonade.

other various people from tournaments or things

trc rozes iplaytennislol

I feel like if I tag any more people, I'll be more annoying than faint, so I'm not gonna do that. But you all are da best n_n.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
llamas i like you so much i'd give you an extra lump of coal for christmas (makeup)

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Posting the shoutouts in a separate post to catch those extra likes haha I see how it is

Anyway, cute user, cute team n_n

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Nice move dude separating the team and the shoutouts for double the likes i c u i c u. But yeah this team is very solid I had already made a very similar one yesterday. Only change you could consider is Fire Blast over defog on gon since you do have a spinner already to reinforce your handle on HC Durant.

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.
Bad 3k. Bad user.

You should probably go with Sigilyph over Meloetta since it does the same thing and seeing as how your Fighting resist is currently a Fletchinder, which makes stuff like Medicham and special Virizion to an extent pretty annoying. Sigilyph also increases your matchup vs T-Spikes fat teams, which looks like they can be kind of an issue, even with Refresh Blastoise + having more Pkmn that can come in 100% and destroy Alo is always nice.

3 Atks + Roost (Psychic / Heat Wave / Energy Ball) seems like a decent option imo.

I like the idea of SD Pass Mawile, but I'd consider running Super Fang over Swords Dance seeing as how Mawile just invites Steelix and Bronzong in for free, and being able to slice off 50% from both in a single switch-in can make it easier for you facilitate a Swords Dance sweep with Abomasnow or Fletchinder. I imagine it would be difficult passing to Flygon/Fletchinder/Abomasnow in front of either Bronzong or Steelix too, but if it works it works I guess.

edit:

you're tacky and i hate you.

this primary issue i observe w/a team focused around the aboma / psychic battery is an inherent durant vulnerability, an issue i would commonly strive to alleviate w/qwilfish (due to their inherent desire for tspike removal and spikes support), and while i respect the direction you take here, you need to consider the compensatory needs here. furthermore, due to the builds focus on resistance-based defensive handling in conjunction w/prio via sr-weak sources, you're gonna have inherent gaps in what you can and cannot handle, notably in stuff like virizion and, to some lesser extent, intimidate scrafty.

i'd have to agree w/spirit that sigi > meloetta is probably more efficient here, both for providing some kinda fight deterrant, a scald absorber (the team's overall pacing is not quite fast enough for me to feel totally safe going w/o, and sd aboma doesn't play into it well w/o some kinda hw support), and somethin to bump up the overall speed of the team a smidge. this would also free up blastoise to run roar > refresh more feasibly, which i consider significant as a panic button for your team given you've got zilcho for subcm meloetta. speaking of, i think that running dark pulse > eball on sigi is a dang solid option for keeping the more threatening pokes, melo n delphox, a bit more honest while still covering slowking.

furthermore, i don't care much for defog here on gonner, and think you can honestly mess w/fire punch a bit here. it's def.a weak move, but having that option to bait and pop off durant (or simply rk from above, what, 60%?) and rk -1 virizion w/o forcing an outrage lock, which is substantial enough value in my eyes.

happy friday

e: also, blastoise should be running 252 hp, but mawile should be running 248. 3000 posts in and you still can't divide by 4, whatta smod lol

atomicllamas

Spirit / 49 thanks for the rate, Sigilyph definitely seems pretty neat here, I'll mess around with LO 3 attacks and see what I like better in the third slot / if I need to change refresh on stoise. Fire Punch on Flygon also seems pretty nice, especially if I'm changing to sigi which would lessen the burden of hazards on my team, so I'll try that as well. I personally blame the NU analysis for having incorrect EVs listed as the primary spread but w/e, hate 49.

pinnacle of my smogon career is badabing deleting his own post in my thread TBH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)