NOC 2d3 Mafia - Game Over, Town Win! (and postgame is up)

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

ggs, i really had a lot of fun. i'll post thoughts when i have more free time

wanna apologize for the tone on some of my posts, i think mainly to caffeine/dusk cuz i think i worded/phrased things rudely esp in d2
It's a game, I understand, I've been like that to some people who also happened to be town lmao.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
IFML fired his/her lazer at me :c poor silly shib can't withstand lazers.

Half tempted to ask why me but it's all good.

Texas/nuxl cool.

Sorry for wagoning onto SA.

Dusk lynch made me facepalm.

Viper is a visible snake, git gud m8.

I know everyone knows already but let's make it official.

IFML was lynched, he was the Mafia Rolecop. Viper conceded, he was the Mafia Goon.

Nuxl was the Jailkeeper and Texas was the tracker. Everyone else was vanilla town. Hope this was a fun and enjoyable experience for everyone! Maybe I will do a postgame =]

e: sorry btw if I wasn't super responsive. Busy lately so while I have time to look at stuff, not a lot of time to respond. My apologies, but I think everyone worked out so yea!

Last edited:
Thought I should clear up what may have been contentious decisions? Or at least stuff that I think I should clear up from my pov.

I didn't punish apricity for 1. the discord log or 2. screenshots because I don't think it broke the rules in a way that gained him an unfair advantage.

Re: 1

The discord log didn't include anyone else and theoretically could have been faked. Yes, it's unlikely to have been faked and I would agree that there's a decent argument that while it doesn't break the rules, it violates the spirit of the rules. That said, I think the punishment of a godkill would've been way too harsh for the supposed crime so I was fine with a warning/telling him not to do it again. I think that was a more than reasonable solution.

2. The screenshots were of the thread and weren't important in any way. The reason why that rule is in place is to stop people from using it as a means to reveal their role pm in a manner that can't be contradicted. The screenshots were something that anyone could've have taken and thus had no value beyond being a means to discuss the game. Therefore there was no penalty.

Nuxl

new message from your psychologist
is a Community Contributor
so when i got my role PM i was really worried i would choke/perform badly because 1. i don't usually like playing PRs(in ToS i like getting non-influential roles e.g medium) and 2. this was my first game in this context ever, especially in this setup where jailkeeper is a top 2 role. i read up on a lot of various stuff pregame to make sure i was as well equipped as i could be walking in

i don't think my play this game was particularly great tbh; day 1 i was very unconfident in my reads(aside from TRs on texas/heal/apricity at EoD), didn't create pressure on the right people, and asked a lot of questions that probably didn't give AI answers and day 2 i think i had confbias towards a lot of otherwise NAI things and was overconfident. i think the most important thing i did was look very towny in d1 but not towny enough in d2 to avoid the night kill so props to texas and apricity for carrying me and solving the game

i think i had trouble reading people tonally/position wise, (i really thought dusk was scum when we lynched him fwiw) but i assume this is a skill i will build the more i play

the n2 save was probably pivotal enough though so i'm happy i got that right and at the very least i was the first to point out the d3 mechanical solve ig lmao

in future games i will probably not be as hyperactive as this game due to time/unnecessity lol

overall i had a blast for my first NOC and am happy to help end smogon's scum losing streak (for now); thanks Jalmont for hosting and the rest of the players for playing

if anyone has any constructive criticism/advice about my play feel free to lmk (:

Postgame

This will be fairly brief and off memory since I don't really think this game warrants super in-depth analysis (plus I don't want to, sorry!). That said, I will briefly discuss the beginnings of this game plus gameplay and how I think things went and how people played. So hopefully this will be a decently enjoyable read n_n

Pre-game stuff: I decided to host a game because there was nothing in the queue plus people wanted to play. No harm in putting up some signups and seeing what happens. I grabbed the setup itself from mafiascum, where it's the current newbie setup. Incidentally, it's balanced around mafia have daytalk which I didn't realize when I put that up for the vote. I think the setup is fine, it's not particularly interesting given that it's made just to introduce people to mafia, but I thought it was ok. It suited my purposes in being a playable setup that people probably haven't been exposed to and that's all I asked for.

aprcitiy was the one who wanted to no daytalk but no one else wanted it so it was allowed. Nuxl tried to vote for it after he found out he was town which I thought was funny =D. I think it worked out for the best given that daytalk was accounted for in creating the setup. Plus I always feel that no daytalk really hurts the mafia and their motivation but that's just my opinion. I made deadlines longer to semi-compensate for the fact that this game has less players (less people to worry about having activity issues). Luckily town lynched way before deadline mostly which was nice to see.

Aight I think that's about it for pre-game stuff. The playerlist was randomized. I was semi-tempted to reroll and make changes but then I was like it fuck it lets see what happens which I think was the right choice.

day 1: This day went from things not looking good for the mafia to looking good for them. I think this was the day that ap literally got the mafia right before Texas came in and was like "nah this is the mafia." smogo account was a weird lynch. yeah. good discussion tho i was liking how things were going a lot.

day 2: df was kinda a weird lynch similar to the previous game mainly because why would he say nuxl and ap are mafia as mafia. i guess i can see why (he's trying to push the towniest players!) but like that barely makes any sense. unlucky that he was lynched from his pov but it opened up the game in terms of narrowing down the scum team entirely.

night 2: nuxl protected texas both nights and this time it came through. funny how the tracker did nothing all game results-wise yet still plays a pivotal role in winning the game.

day 3: Mass claim happened. Idk what the mafia could've done here to stop what happened from happening. I think the IFML and viper mainly coasting really hurt their chances once the game got to this point and they were unable to kill of a power role. Imagine if Nuxl had been mafia in this scenario instead. As things stood, the mafia needed a very good performance to stay in the game (vs passable) and they didn't have it. IFML was lynched, viper conceded. gg

overall kinda weird game in the sense that there's strong cases the game was one-sided and not. i think it was pretty even given that the mafia managed two mislynches and set themselves up to be in a position to win. however, their shortcomings came down to not being able to develop themselves as townies vs being part of the background. in a different game where there are not as many "obvious" town players (think more players) I think they do a really good job of blending in and potentially winning. In this case that was hard to do and thus didn't happen. Happy with how the village played given that they recovered from the mislynches and didn't let that get them down. there were definitely points where they could've combusted but mostly stayed together. good job

players:

smogon account: Idk i thought he was unlucky to get mislynched but ya know it's gotta happen to someone. this is the first time in a while i've thought, well, he got mislynched but it wasn't super his fault. not a lot wrong with his play imo except not posting more??? beats me. ur a good man mikey hope to see u stick around and play some more games on smogon. invite some buddies too =D

apricity: ap got the mafia right day 1 which was funny but no one believed him. he got pretty frustrated as a result and threatened to only like posts and not actually say anything all of day 2. overall his play was really good but his execution in getting people to believe him wasn't great. i think it helped keep him alive though which is positive tho. love ur passion for the game just gotta try and keep it (mostly) respectful

texas: Started slowly, ended super strong. I still find it amusing that the town could've won the game had you backed up apricity day 1! but it ended up working out and u were super solid d3 to win the game. nice job

caffeineboost: sorry cb i actually don't really remember a lot of the things you said itg. u didn't get mislynched this time around and that's what Really Counts. keep fighting the good fight

Nuxl: my town MVP. it's hard to believe this was ur first game, u put in a lot of time to learning the game and playing and it shows. I really hope u stick around circus, even if you decide u need to go elsewhere to play more games (which is totally understandable). I don't even need to say anything about ur game because everyone knows it was v good. good work

viper: Really liked ur attitude and approach this game. I know u had some stuff going on which was Unlucky. honestly i think you have the potential to be a Great mafia player if you aren't already. too bad OCs are dying out since I feel that would be your jam...anyways although u lost I think this was a good learning experience for you and I hope to see u play some more games.

IFML: Again, I liked your approach/attitude to the game. You and viper were a good team and you guys I think did get unlucky with how kills and what not worked out. I think posting more would've helped how people read you a lot because it was the moments you didn't post where people got worried about you I think. Still, I can't have any complaints with how you played and I hope you stick around circus and play some more games!

Heal: Killed day 1 which is always a plus imo for vanillas. You showed a lot of promising stuff and it's too bad the mafia identified you as a threat so early. I hope stuff works out so I can see you playing games more often!

df98: Duskfall my guy, I hope you are taking getting mislynched too tough. Again, you've shown some very pleasing stuff and I can't ever fault someone who is confident and tries hard with the reads they have. I genuinely think you getting lynched wasn't really your fault at all and you can be positive in the fact that ur help helped turn the game for the village. Keep playing and I know you'll turn ur mislynch streak into a nightkilled one =]

Honestly this was a super nice game to host and it was good to see people overall taking it seriously but also having a good time. Overall very positive experience I felt. Thanks everyone for playing. gg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)