2nd RMT: Mono Water- Peaked #21 on the Monotype Ladder NEW PEAK @6

Hey, everyone! Psychological back with my second rmt and this time it's a monotype team! Idk why I choose water tbh but it worked amazing so I kept it. I started of 14-0 and right now 39-8. I peaked 21 on the ladder
Okay enough talking, lets get to the team!
The Team:

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Rain Dance
Politoed is basically a staple on any water team. It sets the rain which increases water attacks and decrease fire attacks. And since its a mono water, what better pokemon to help the team out. I use this set as a physical wall for the most part. Scald is for the hopeful burn on those strong physical pokemon, toxic to wear down walls, protect to scout moves or to get leftovers recover, and rain dance to set rain again without having to switch out.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower
Azumarill overall is such a boss pokemon. With Huge Power and its new fairy typing, it's very good especially with a rain boost and a choice band. Azu is basically a kinda bulky sweep. Aqua Jet is for pokemon that outspeed but I know I can OHKO or 2HKO, Waterfall is for slower pokemon or for pokemon that I know I can live an attack from, Play Rough is for those dragons, and Superpower is mainly for Ferrothron because I basically have nothing else for it.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick
Rotom-Wash is so good this generation. It was good in gen 5 too but for some reason it's just that much better. Scarf Rotom is much better than I think it gets credit for. It has saved my ass many times in close games that came down to whoever is faster. The EV spread was found in an analysis but I don't quite remember why those are the numbers they are, but it's been working out fine so I kept them. Rotom acts as a bulky pivator that hits pretty hard. Volt Switch for the obvious, Hydro Pump for anything that I know I can OHKO with it or to do a good amount of damage, Will-O-Wisp for any physical attackers, and Trick for when I don't need the speed anymore and I can trick the scarf onto a wall or something. You maybe be saying Will-O scarf doesn't seem too good, but trust me when I tell you, it works like a charm. Rotom-Wash is def my favorite pokemon this generation.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
Manaphy is one crazy mofo. It's such a great pokemon, and in the rain it's that much better. Once it sets up one Tail Glow, it practically OHKOs anything that doesnt resist of its moveset or faster. Manaphy acts as a speedy, special sweeper. If I know I can take a hit from a pokemon, and they dont have any priority for a revenge kill, I set up Tail Glow. After that I just go with whatever hits the hardest on the opponent. Surf is for stab and super effectiveness, Ice Beam is for dragons and grass, and Energy ball is for other water types. Manaphy looks cute as hell but don't judge a book by its cover.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
Lanturn may not seem like the best choice for this team, but oh boy does it work. With its Volt Absorb ability I can switch it in to avoid electric move spam. It's also decently bulky. Lanturn acts as my cleric and slightly as a wall. Volt Switch is for pivoting, Scald is for hopeful burn on physical attackers, Thunder Wave for pokemon that hurt me with their speed, and Heal Bell to keep my other pokemon alive longer or to get away that pesky burn on azu or gyarados. Overall Lanturn is a decent pokemon and fits well on my team.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
Gyarados is the man of this team. He's been able to sweep so many teams I've faced and he works like a gem. With it's ability when it mega evolves(Mold Breaker), he destroys lots of pokemon including that levitate Rotom-Wash. Gyarados acts as another physical sweeper, but he can also be there for the attack drop with intimidate. I usually wait to mega if I see the intimidate will help me out. Dragon Dance is for the obvious attack and speed boost, Waterfall for stab, Earthquake for coverage, and Ice Fang for dragons. Gyarados is such a great pokemon and with mega it's even better.

And thats the team! I don't have really any replays except for one when I beat an electric mono (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oumonotype-105506895)

There's not much else to add except for a small threat list:
Zapdos: Zapdos is the main threat. With it's bulk and if it has substitute, it's extremely hard for me to kill it unless I get a lucky crit or I was able to set up on Gyarados/Manaphy.

Ferrothorn: I have practically nothing for Ferrothorn except my Superpower Azumarill. Ferrothorn could leech seed like crazy, spam power whip, and could set-up easily on my team.

Okay there's my mono water team! Props to you if you read it all. I'm open to all and any advice! Thank you for your time.
[edit]
Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Rain Dance

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Last edited:
I suggest you change Energy Ball on Manaphy to Psychic. As with your team currently, Mega Venusaur (and to a lesser extent Roserade) poses a huge threat to your team, and psychic is probably the best way your team can defeat Mega Venusaur. At +3, Psychic still dents holes in opposing water types, and gives better overall coverage for your monotype team.

It would let you get more Dragon Dances up
I meant change it to what. Like how many EVs.

I suggest you change Energy Ball on Manaphy to Psychic. As with your team currently, Mega Venusaur (and to a lesser extent Roserade) poses a huge threat to your team, and psychic is probably the best way your team can defeat Mega Venusaur. At +3, Psychic still dents holes in opposing water types, and gives better overall coverage for your monotype team.
I havent thought about this but Mega Gyarados does kill mega venu because of mold breaker. But I will consider changing it to Psychic if it comes to be a big problem. Thanks for pointing that out

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Hi slave.

I'm really disliking Rotom-Wash and Lanturn on the team. I would probably swap out Rotom-W for specs keldeo. Absolutely nothing ever created can switch into Specs Keldeo in the rain. Even resists are OHKOd by the huge Hydro Pump. I'd run the standard Hydro/Scald/Secret Sword/HP Flying Set because fuck mega venu switch ins :) Also Specs Keldeo OHKOs Ferrothorn and Zapdos your main threats. I really don't like Tail Glow Manaphy. It honestly is too slow to sweep anything. I'd change it to the Rain Dance CM set because its so fucking annoying to deal with and fits your team better imo. If your opponent is not running an electric or grass type, Rain Dance CM Rest Scald Manaphy probably wins the game for you. Change worth making imo.

Edit: Rain CM Manaphy saving my ass where Tail Glow would have failed http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oumonotype-106644005

Last edited:
Please, you're still my slave.
Thanks for all the advice, sounds good coming from a guy whos a boss at OU(Dont think this compliment is me saying you're my master, because you're not) I'll try all these new sets whenever I get a chance to get on showdown. Thanks fgt Starmaster
EDIT: who do i put in for lanturn since you said you disliked it

Please, you're still my slave.
Thanks for all the advice, sounds good coming from a guy whos a boss at OU(Dont think this compliment is me saying you're my master, because you're not) I'll try all these new sets whenever I get a chance to get on showdown. Thanks fgt Starmaster
EDIT: who do i put in for lanturn since you said you disliked it
He means that having both Rotom-W and Lanturn on the same team is redundant, so if you swap out Rotom for Keldeo, you should be good.

I must say Starmaster your changes did help. My team kinda misses the scarf volt switch but not extremely. I think I'll keep both sides of the team. Thanks fgt

p good record with p sexy name if i do say so myself

Last edited:

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Keldeo used Hydro Pump!
The opposing Zapdos lost 61% of its health!
.-.
Evidently you were not in rain.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Rain: 439-517 (114.3 - 134.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos in Rain: 310-366 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

The most common by far is physically defensive cuz mega pinsir is fgt.

Evidently you were not in rain.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Rain: 439-517 (114.3 - 134.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos in Rain: 310-366 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

The most common by far is physically defensive cuz mega pinsir is fgt.
SHHHHHH

Just a question, do you have any means of beating grass mono's or do you just accept the loss since its not that common?

Just a question, do you have any means of beating grass mono's or do you just accept the loss since its not that common?
I have only faced one grass mono so I don't know how well it stands up to them. They are not a concern for me rn unless I start seeing a lot of them.

Star

OGC & Tour Head
I have only faced one grass mono so I don't know how well it stands up to them. They are not a concern for me rn unless I start seeing a lot of them.
The only way to handle grass monos is to sleep fodder something, not mega evolve gyarados dragon dance and sweep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)