SS LC 30-0 Scraggy/Timburr Fightspam

Introduction

Hey everyone, MK here with an LC RMT. Haven't posted one in a couple of years but with the whole corona quarantine thing going on I figured why not. This all started after a discussion with my friend Jox about a Scraggy + Timburr Fightspam core. He was using it with some unique teams with Diglett and Wynaut trapping and removing the threats, but I felt like the trappers were dead weight in a lot of matchups so I built my own version. After going 30-0 on the ladder I figured it was good enough to post so here goes.

Teambuilding Process

I wanted to utilize an offensive Fightspam core in the post-Rufflet ban meta. Bulk Up Timburr and Dragon Dance Scraggy sweep very differently, but both cover a wide range of mons once setup. This isn't a traditional type spam team where one is breaking for the other, but rather a type spam team that wears down the opposing checks for one mon and lets it sweep.

Vullaby is always a good mon to run in LC. If you aren't running Vullaby you better have a very good reason for it. It's too valuable as a glue mon and a universal check/pivot/brave bird spammer. It does everything. I opted to run a pretty standard set of Brave Bird/Knock Off/U-Turn with Defog as the 4th move. Since I'm running bulk up on Timburr I don't have room for Defog on it, but Vull does just fine at getting rid of hazards.

I threw on Pawn and Mareanie to help deal with fairy types like Spritzee. Pawn also helps against threats like Oddish which doesn't really allow for the fighters to sweep. I initially was running a tradition stealth rock set on Pawn but opted to swap that out for T-Wave in order to allow easier set up opportunities for the fighters and to have a move besides Knock Off to punish switchins, since hitting something that has already been knocked with knock if kind of pointless. Mare is a good blanket check in general and synergizes with Pawn and Vull quite well. With these additions, 5 pokemon on the team now have Knock Off, which is never a bad thing in LC.

I then added on Trapinch for 2 reasons. Vullaby, Pawnaird, and Mare are all weak to Onix which Trapinch traps. Additionally, Trapinch can trap Galarian Ponyta with First Impression, and G-Pony can really give this team some problems. However, I was finding Trapinch to be useless in a lot of matchups, and it felt like dead weight. I opted to go for a different mon that could deal with Onix, but also help with setup opportunities.

I ended up selecting Oddish because Sleep Powder is such a + move in SWSH LC. Without Foongus everywhere sleep has kind of been gone in SWSH despite still being one of the most useful status effects in the game.

The Team

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Moxie
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

- Dragon Dance

Pretty standard Scraggy set. High Jump Kick KO's a lot of stuff in the current meta, and a +1 Knock kills most other things. Drain Punch > Poison Jab/Iron Head for recovery since Evio Scraggy is surprisingly bulky, and it also offers a safe option that isn't HJK but is still STAB. With 2 poison types and 1 steel type on the team, checks for Scraggy will get worn down, and with 5 Knock Off users, it's almost guaranteed that checks will lose their evio.

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

- Knock Off

Pretty standard Bulk Up Timburr set. Once all opposing special attackers are removed if this thing can get off a Bulk Up it usually wins. Opposing Vull's aren't usually kept in the back since Vull is needed in the early game. Guts allows Timburr to eat scalds and not worry about the burns, but Iron Fist can be run if you want a little more power, but I wouldn't recommend it as it makes your Shellos matchup a lot worse.

Vullaby (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn

- Defog

Very standard Vullaby set. Heat Wave can be run over U-Turn if you really want to hit Ferroseed, but considering you have two fighters that setup on it, U-turn is more useful more often. Vullaby is gonna be your lead most of the time with this team, it's just solid into 90% of the meta. If you're not running Vullaby and you don't have a good reason for it you're wrong.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

- Iron Head

Standard-ish Pawn set. 12 SpD EVs rather than max atk for survivability. This Pawn is meant to be more of a utility mon and the teams only real answer to Pony-G rather than a breaker. T-Wave is more useful than rocks for letting fighters setup, Scraggy can actually sweep without Dragon Dance in some cases if you para the opposing 16+ speed mons. There isn't much that can live moxie boosted High Jump Kicks.

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 HP / 12 Atk / 100 Def / 92 SpA / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover

- Knock Off

Very standard Mareanie set, not much to see here. Knock Off is run over Toxic Spikes or Iron Defense because it allows for easier sweeps/cleans with the Fighting wincons, and this mon isn't meant to be the wincon. Mare helps deal with opposing fighters and just generally wears down the other team while recovering HP with recover and regenerator.

Oddish @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 236 HP / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 116 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

- Strength Sap

11 Speed Oddish set. Oddish is EV'd to hit 24/14/14 here which is pretty good for LC, and it wins the mirror matchup vs opposing Oddishes that are oriented towards being defensive checks. Sleep Powder is incredibly useful and takes one mon out of most matchups. Giga Drain and Strength Sap keep Oddish relatively healthy throughout matches. This team honestly has a lot of healing and a lot of offensive pressure which is probably why I've had the success that I've had with it.

Threats

Mantyke under rain can be a big problem. Air Slash + Hydro Pump on a LO Mantyke definitely breaks through a lot of my team. Mareanie can deal with it to some extent as long as it isn't knocked, but it doesn't do much back. Generally, you have to stall out the rain turns, and be careful not to get in a position where this thing can clean in the late game.

G-Pony for obvious reasons. It hits 3 of the mons on my team with a STAB Psychic and 2 with a super effective Dazzling Gleam. Pawn can usually force it out, and Scraggy doesn't care about it if it's sweeping, but this thing can definitely be a problem. Vullaby being the rocks remover means that it can't just stay at full if the opponent has rocks up so you have to definitely play around Galarian Ponyta.

Bulbasaur kind of shreds any team right now with growth. There isn't a great answer to Bulb besides opposing weather, and things like Munchlax which generally lose momentum when they come in. Generally, you want to waste sun turns with Pawn and Mare, but you also have to consciously attempt to keep Pawn alive so you don't have to rely on a speed tie with Vullaby or Scraggy once sun is down. Generally, the sun setter is pretty obvious and you can limit it to only setting up sun once if it isn't a dedicated sun team. If it is a dedicated sun team usually Vullaby can just beat it down enough early game to give you the edge, but it's a difficult matchup that requires precise play. You can't have a great matchup into everything, and there is no real answer to Bulb besides Munchlax atm.

Croagunk is very difficult for this team to face. The only real options for dealing with it are Vullaby, which means you have to conserve your Vull and not use it aggressively in the early game. Mare can wear it down somewhat but is not the ideal matchup. This thing straight up wins vs more than half of the entire team, and can fire off multiple Knocks every game. It's honestly a really good mon that gets slept on a lot, and it excels vs slower teams like this one.

Importable
https://pokepast.es/a6fbc3c3d53e94cb

Proof
30-0.PNG

IamMK.PNG

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)