Gen 5 5Drag0Mag?: A Twist on Dragon Spam in BW OU

Hey guys,

After watching Get Backer use a team of 6 dragons Smogon Tour i wanted to try some kind of Dragon spam offense. The raw power really appealed to me and it seemed like a fun way to win. I especially wanted to try Choice Band Kyurem-B because it's nearly impossible to switch into. This team hasn't won any big tournaments but I feel like sharing it anyway.

Teambuilding Process

I wanted to build around Kyurem-B so he was an obvious first pick.

I needed support for Kyurem which meant Latias was an obvious addition as it has access to both Tailwind to double Kyurem's speed and Healing Wish to give anything a second chance to sweep.

As all offensive teams, this one needed Entry Hazard support. I didn't want to use Custap Skarmory or Forretress as i don't think they have enough offensive presence. So i went with Garchomp

This is when I started thinking about Steel-types, the bane of all dragons. Magnezone is perfect for removing Ferrothorn, Forretress, Defensive Jirachi and Skarmory but it struggles against more offensive Steel-types. This is where Scizor comes in. Defensive Swords Dance Scizor can set up on and kill many steel types, (Heatran is one of few exceptions).

Every team also needs a revenge killer. In Salamence i get both a revenge killer and an end-game sweeper thanks to Moxie, not to mention it fits into the theme of the team.

Finally, I needed another fast wallbreaker to lure in defensive pokemon for Scizor to set up on. Life Orb Latios fits the bill perfectly and can also revenge kill non-speedboosting sweepers like CM Keldeo.

AT A GLANCE

IN DEPTH

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt

The most powerful Outrage to ever grace the OU metagame, Kyurem-B rips everything not named Skarmory, Ferrothorn or Forretress to shreds. The EV spread is as simple as it gets: destroy everything, and do it as fast as possible. Even uninvested it has surprisingly good bulk, even surviving a CB Scizor Bullet Punch at full health. Even though the speed is good to have, I've been considering running more bulk to tank more hits.

Moveset Details:

- Outrage: Doom, destruction and more destruction. Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Forretress are the only things which are safe from a 2HKO. Generally the move I spam, the exception being when the aforementioned pokemon are still at high health.
- Dragon Claw: The more controlled option that still kills most things in two hits or less. Mostly used early-game to wallbreak.
- Ice Beam: OHKOs Gliscor, mostly a filler move
- Fusion Bolt: Same applies here, except it kills Water-types, including Empoleon if anyone is dumb enough to use that in OU.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Tailwind
- Healing Wish
- Roost

This set is inspired by the one Get Backer used in Smogon Tour, although he used Choice Scarf on it. I wanted a more bulky Latias to be able to tank a hit or two from Keldeo or Thundurus-T as a last resort if I misplay and let them come in. In other words it acts as a pivot which tanks a hit which is often followed up by a double switch to Scizor as Steel-types and Tyranitar like to come in on Latias. Max HP is for mixed bulk and max speed to get off fast Healing Wishes and Tailwinds.

Moveset Details:

- Dragon Pulse: Reliable main STAB, not much else. Been considering running Draco Meteor for more power.
- Tailwind: Doubles the speed of one of my Dragons. Turns Kyurem into an unstoppable wrecking machine.
- Healing Wish: Let's a sweeper come in safely not to mention giving it a second chance to sweep
- Roost: Helps Latias stay alive to tank more hits. Been considering running Psyshock with a more offensive spread but haven't tried that out yet.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage

One of the best SR leads of this generation in my opinion even though I haven't used it a lt since I mostly play Rain Balance. I always lead Garchomp, even if my opponent has a Magic Bouncer because they can't tank a hit worth a damn. This thing sets up SR and dies unless I force the opposing lead out in which case I can get of some free damage. Sometimes I use it as a death fodder to regain momentum or to check what a Choice user wants to get locked into.

Moveset Details:

- Stealth Rock: Best move in the game, every team needs it and Garchomp sets it up extremely well
- Swords Dance: Initally I used Fire Blast but thought SD was better to pressure defensive teams. Only gets used if I see a clear opportunity to do so. Getting up Stealth Rock is its main assignment.
- Earthquake: Main STAB move and generally what I spam when I don't think I can set up safely.
- Outrage: Been switching back and forth between Dragon Claw and Outrage but finally decided that Outrage was the better option considering Garchomp generally goes down before it gets confused. Never use it unless the you're at +2 or the opponent doesn't have a very bulky Steel-type.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Roost

This is where the innovation begins. Most Dragon spam teams would run a Magnezone in this spot but I thought it wasn't good enough against certain Steel-types (Heatran in particular) so I thought of another way to annoy steel types: set up on them. This Scizor turns Ferrothorn and Forretress into set-up bait. The same thing happens if a Scarfed Dragon-types try to revenge kill me. For example, Scarf Latios is pretty much forced to go for Draco Meteor against Salamence because if it doesn't then I get a free Moxie boost. The following EVs allows it to outrun defensive Heatran and get in a hit which means Kyurem can 2HKO it without having to predict or rely on damage rolls. I'm using a physically defensive spread as Latias handes the special attacking threats.

Moveset Details:

- Swords Dance: Mandatory set up move to get more power as I'm using a bulky Scizor.
- Bullet Punch: Main STAB with priority
- Brick Break: Used to kill steel types, been considering Superpower but it makes me more prone to getting killed or set-up on as it drops your Atk as well.
- Roost: Recovery move to make sure I can set up more than one SD, useful vs bulky mons without phazing moves.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Salamence is my end-game sweeper and revenge killer in one package. It rips offensive teams to shreds once their revenge killer is gone and does the same with defensive one if they're weakened enough. It can also revenge kill a lot of stuff. It struggles with Choice Scarf users but that's what Scizor is for. Most people don't want to over overpredict vs Salamence so they go for the safe option most of the time and if they predict Scizor coming in and go for a Fire-type move they're going to give a free switch-in for Kyurem-B, essentially a free kill.

Moveset Details:

- Outrage: The sweeping move which I never lock myself into unless I absolutely need to or if I can sweep at that point.
- Dragon Claw: The safe option for revenge killing frail, offensive mons.
- Earthquake: Provides coverage against most Steel-types but not something you should lock yourself into unless necessary as it's easy set-up bait.
- Fire Blast: The things which apply for EQ also apply here: good coverage move, but not something you should spam.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf
- Psyshock

The final member which basically does the offensive job a Support Latias can't do. Latios is my all-out attacker who puts in the big shift against most teams as it can switch moves. It causes a ton of switches because most people try to stall out LO recoil if they don't have a Tyranitar. In case I get Pursuit trapped by it, Kyurem-B gets a free switch-in and gets a free kill.

Moveset Details:

- Draco Meteor: Main STAB and spam move of choice as it hits every non Steel-type or Tyranitar incredibly hard.
- Hidden Power [Fire]: Provides almost flawless coverage with a Dragon STAB and nukes Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Forretress pretty hard even after a SpAtk drop.
- Surf: Hits Heatran and Tyranitar in particular. Although Tyranitar tanks it really well it gives me a free switch-in for Kyurem-B and Salamence (who can sue it to start of a Moxie sweep)
- Psyshock: Destroys Keldeo, Terrakion and Breelom. The former two can be major annoyances if they are Scarfed and the latter can stop Kyurem-B in its tracks after two SR switch-ins.

So that's the team for ya. It's not the most consistent one but it can win some games because many teams are not prepared for this kind of an onslaught. You also have to make good plays as it doesn't have much of a defensive backbone at all.​

Importable:

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Tailwind
- Healing Wish
- Roost

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Roost

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Surf

Please Rate!

Last edited:

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Heya I like how you love Hyper offensive teams. Hyper offense is one of the best styles in BW. But you have some major flaws in your team. Your team carries some right ideology in the hard hitting mons and dragon spam but you really have some fatal weakness i would like to point out. Of course you should probably add a Magnezone but you didn't so i left him out of my rate. Here are some soft changes for you to use.

First is on Swords dance Scizor change Brick Break to Superpower. Super power hits freaking hard and will deal out massive damage to one the biggest threats to your team, Ferrothorn. After that i would change Roost for Bug Bite and make it a standard three attacks SD Scizor. Next thing is change is Latias for Scarf Jirachi with Healing Wish. Jirachi will help counter opposing fast dragons Garchomp and Latios that you team could other wise not be able to take. Your team is really ripped apart by Scarf garchomp and scarf latios. I would then change latios for LO to Choice Specs. Choice Specs set hits way harder and will still deal Ferrothorn hard damage in the rain. Next thing that I would do is change Salamence from Scarf to Dragon Dance. You could also run other dragon dance users like Dragonite or Haxorus( who should definitely be higher then like c- in the viability rankings).

As i said your team will really struggle with out a Magnezone. and i would actually put him in for Kyurem-B and make Scizor Choice Band, but that is practically making a new team from yours.

Hope you have fun and hope you listen to my and like my changes :]

Hi ReshiRampage,

This is a pretty cool Dragspam team here. However, I noticed your team is weak to bulky steel-types like Skamory, Jirachi, and Ferrothorn (especially in the rain). For example, Skarmory can easily switch-into Latias, Scizor, and Garchomp and then start setting up hazards. Additionally, Volcarona with HP Ice is a huge problem since it can set-up on Scizor and your only check after it sets up is a speed tie with Salamence. If Salamence is gone, Volc can easily sweep your team with just a bit of prior damage using a combination of Fire Blast, Bug Buzz, and HP Ice. As for most Dragon-spam teams, Mamoswine is difficult to face since it can use Ice Shard against faster dragon-types which means your only real switch-in is Scizor. Finally, Scarf Latios and other Scarf Dragons could be a problem since they outspeed your entire team and can simply spam their dragon-type moves.

I agree with BKC and FNH that your team would benefit from a Magnezone. I think you should replace Scizor with a Choice Specs Magnezone with Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, HP Fire, and Flash Cannon. I feel that Scizor, while a cool set, is not as useful as Magnezone as getting rid of steel-types. With Magnet Pull, Magnezone makes it much easier remove steel-types such as Ferrothorn, letting the rest of the team to spam their Dragon-type moves. Choice Specs is used to help Magnezone take down Ferrothorn with HP Fire in the rain, who otherwise with Leech Seed and Protect could be a huge nuisance. Thunderbolt KOs Skamory and can deal a lot of damage to Jirachi and Heatran. Volt Switch is used to maintain momentum and Flash Cannon helps round off Magnezone's coverage.

With Magnezone handling bulky steel-types, I think you can switch Latios from a LO lure set to a Choice Scarf set changing HP Fire to Trick. Scarf Latios helps you against most other Scarf Dragons, allowing you to revenge Scarf Salamence and Scarf Garchomp. Scarf Latios can also revenge Volcarona after Stealth Rocks. Finally, Scarf Latios relieves the pressure to use Salamence as a revenge killer, which means that you can save Salamence as a late-gate sweeper more effectively.

I suggest you should change Kyurem's set from a Choice Band set to a LO attacker with Earth Power or Roost over Outrage. While Kyurem-B is extremely strong with a Choice Band, the power from a Choice Band isn't always necessary when Kyurem already hits so hard. LO gives Kyurem extra power, but also allows it to switch moves, so you're not locked into Fusion Bolt against a Hippowdon for example. Earth Power also lets Kyurem-B lure in and KO Heatran/weakened Jirachi, two Pokemon that Magnezone often has a hard time against. You can also try Roost over Dragon Claw the coverage from Dragon Claw is mostly redundant with Kyurem-B's other three moves and Kyurem-B often appreciates the extra longevity.

Finally, I think you could try using Yache Berry on Garchomp over Focus Sash. With no spinner, it's going to be hard to maintain Garchomp's sash if you don't want to use it as a lead. Instead, Yache Berry allows Garchomp to tank an Ice-type move, helping your team against Mamoswine and HP Ice Volcarona as well Ice Beams from bulky water-types in a pinch.

Hope this helps!

Sets:
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 216 Atk / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw/Roost
- Ice Beam

Couple of suggestions:
Magnezone with HP fire, thunderbolt, volt switch, and flash cannon with air balloon should be considered to stop steel types. It counters rain that protects Ferrothorn which is your main target if you want to destroy everything with dragons. One of the lati twins (preferably Latios) should be specs/scarf and life orb Latios does not deal significant damage and longevity is a key part of BW OU. You one hit KO almost everything with Draco after killing with magneZone so you are ok being choiced. Latias is way too passive and you should choice it too, probably with specs as its damage output is worse, trick, surf, Draco meteor and dragon pulse seems solid. If you really want defensive Latios, roost, possibly calm mind and surf and dragon pulse could be good too. It is not worth killing Latias just to heal up a teammate so healing wish is out. Since a drag mag team is used, I think you should not use lead Garchomp as it could be used to destroy stuff later on after skarmony is ded. You could probably lead Scizor instead on u turn out if need be. Besides that, very solid Dragon spam team and I look forward to using the improved version!

Couple of suggestions:
Magnezone with HP fire, thunderbolt, volt switch, and flash cannon with air balloon should be considered to stop steel types. It counters rain that protects Ferrothorn which is your main target if you want to destroy everything with dragons. One of the lati twins (preferably Latios) should be specs/scarf and life orb Latios does not deal significant damage and longevity is a key part of BW OU. You one hit KO almost everything with Draco after killing with magneZone so you are ok being choiced. Latias is way too passive and you should choice it too, probably with specs as its damage output is worse, trick, surf, Draco meteor and dragon pulse seems solid. If you really want defensive Latios, roost, possibly calm mind and surf and dragon pulse could be good too. It is not worth killing Latias just to heal up a teammate so healing wish is out. Since a drag mag team is used, I think you should not use lead Garchomp as it could be used to destroy stuff later on after skarmony is ded. You could probably lead Scizor instead on u turn out if need be. Besides that, very solid Dragon spam team and I look forward to using the improved version!
Defensive Latias I mean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)