5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Not getting matching results in the Adjacent Seed tool either. Are you sure your VCount is actually 8?

Anyway, the frames for the IVs are off in the Adjacent Seed Tool for BW2 (basically they say 3, but they should say 1 to match the rest of the Reporter). If you check the IVs in the main window [setting the method to Gen 5 IVs (standard seed)], you'll see that the IV's are on frame 1.

edit: Also, make sure you have the BW2 box checked everywhere. Seems like you might not have it checked in the main window.

Not getting matching results in the Adjacent Seed tool either. Are you sure your VCount is actually 8?

Anyway, the frames for the IVs are off in the Adjacent Seed Tool for BW2 (basically they say 3, but they should say 1 to match the rest of the Reporter). If you check the IVs in the main window [setting the method to Gen 5 IVs (standard seed)], you'll see that the IV's are on frame 1.

edit: Also, make sure you have the BW2 box checked everywhere. Seems like you might not have it checked in the main window.
There really is something wrong here, but I'm not sure what.

Oh, and yeah, if I insert the Seed in the main window and check BW2 (which I hadn't, good point!), it does show up as the first frame.

How couldn't the VCount be 8? I've already succesfully gotten a shiny starter...

I guess I can do some further testing for my parameter settings, I guess. Also, I did my testing in Floccesy Ranch (don't think there are many WNPCs unless Mareeps count?)

Anyway, what I find weird is that I'm letting RNGReporter do another Timefinder search and oddly enough, the results are different? o_O If I only I knew why it isn't working.

Edit -> No, they are not. It's just still searching.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
How couldn't the VCount be 8? I've already succesfully gotten a shiny starter...

I guess I can do some further testing for my parameter settings, I guess. Also, I did my testing in Floccesy Ranch (don't think there are many WNPCs unless Mareeps count?)

Anyway, what I find weird is that I'm letting RNGReporter do another Timefinder search and oddly enough, the results are different? o_O If I only I knew why it isn't working.
I've just never seen one that low. My game, for example, has a VCount of 82. Another guy I know has the same, and for BW mine is like 60. All these are for retail carts (which I assume you're using). Not to say everyone has the same value. Your's just seems...sketchy XD. Plus when I plug in the values you gave a few posts up into the Adjacent seed tool, the IV's don't match...at all (same for .com apparently).

NPCs don't mess with the calibration, so it shouldn't matter.

I'd check the exact IV's of the Pokemon you get though. Until then, it's mostly just guess work.

edit: on a hunch, I changed your VCount to 82. The IVs match in the Adjacent Seed Tool now.

Last edited:
I've just never seen one that low. My game, for example, has a VCount of 82. Another guy I know has the same, and for BW mine is like 60. All these are for retail carts (which I assume you're using). Not to say everyone has the same value. Your's just seems...sketchy XD. Plus when I plug in the values you gave a few posts up into the Adjacent seed tool, the IV's don't match...at all (same for .com apparently).

NPCs don't mess with the calibration, so it shouldn't matter.

I'd check the exact IV's of the Pokemon you get though. Until then, it's mostly just guess work.
OMG, I'm dumb. You're completely right. My VCount is 82. I don't know how I missed that, sorry!

Oh yeah, maybe it's just my L-button, it hasn't worked as well lately as it should. Maybe I'm just getting my R-X results lol. I'll check the IVs.

Edit -> I finally hit my Seed so maybe it's the L-button after all. I only I had a frame that was Synchable for the enc.slot that doesn't involve the L-button. <_< Guess I could keep trying or search a different year...

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
OMG, I'm dumb. You're completely right. My VCount is 82. I don't know how I missed that, sorry!

Oh yeah, maybe it's just my L-button, it hasn't worked as well lately as it should. Maybe I'm just getting my R-X results lol. I'll check the IVs.

Edit -> I finally hit my Seed so maybe it's the L-button after all. I only I had a frame that was Synchable for the enc.slot that doesn't involve the L-button. <_< Guess I could keep trying or search a different year...

Hopefully there's a couple of seeds you can use in there. Seed isn't listed but button combinations + Date/Time are, so you should be able to find them in reporter. (Apologies for the ludicrously large image sizes.)
Edit: If you can't see these, right click the "[?]" symbol and select "Open Image in New Tab".

Last edited:
Hi there. Back again. I'm making my first attempt at roamer abuse but it's being weird.
My starting frame is consistent - if I hit my seed and do no advancements, the Thundurus captured is always Bold, often dozes off. If I do ten frame advancements before leaving the house, it will be impish, often dozes off. And so on. So that's consistent - my problem is that I can't find the frames on RNG reporter! I filter the frame results by nature to check whether the right impish frame will occur ten frames after a correct bold frame, but there aren't any. Closest is 13 frames apart. It was the same for the last seed I tried - I consistently got the same pokemon for no advancements, ten advancements, and twenty advancements. But I couldn't find them anywhere in the frames. I tried using another seed - my current one - but the same problem is abound. Help?

.com

Grumpy old man
This is what you'd expect with roamer abuse. I'm not sure what guide you're reading, but most of them state that you should do 0 advances, 10 advances, 20 advances, ..., etc. and list the natures + characteristics. You then go hunting through the list on RNG Reporter and see if you can find a sequence which roughly matches the pattern. The weather's frame advancement is not consistent so it may advance 5 from a particular frame, but in the same amount of time advance 10 from another frame.

If you post full details of your seed, and the results you get for (say) 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 advances, people might be able to help you find where you are in the sequence.

Another alternative is just catching the Pokémon and checking its PID through one of the many possible means (only useable if you can backup your save before you caught the Pokémon, but just stating that it's an option).

Okay, for example, the first seed I tried was:
F02BE3226A07B898 Timid 30 31 31 31 30 31 10/15/14 18:43:22 C7E Select-Right-Up, target frame 888.
with TID 59888 and SID 18947.
The seed is in summer, so aside from the roamer's storm, there is no weather.
The roamer caught with 0 advances is Jolly, capable of taking hits. 10 advances Hasty, alert to sounds. 20 advances Naughty, capable of taking hits.
I don't currently have the means of checking its PID, unfortunately. Would you like me to find the pokemon for +30, 40, and 50?

.com

Grumpy old man
I had a cursory look and couldn't find any nice sets which would result in those characteristics. :/. If you don't mind trying a few more that'd be helpful, but someone using RNG Reporter would be able to check this much faster than I (since PPRNG doesn't naturally list characteristics).

If you'd like, you could also list your profile details; Game Version, DS Version, Timer0, VCount, VFrame, MAC address (I can see the date and time from the previous post). This would mean I could check characteristics faster :P.

Yeah, I know. It's weird. I got 30 - serious, likes to thrash about. 40, impish, likes to thrash about.
Mac: A45C27443D1F, White, DS Lite, C7E-C7F, vcount 60, vframe 6.
The characteristics don't help massively either to be honest. When your pokemon has all 30s and 31s, you tend to get three characteristics maximum.

.com

Grumpy old man
Yeah, I know. It's weird. I got 30 - serious, likes to thrash about. 40, impish, likes to thrash about.
Mac: A45C27443D1F, White, DS Lite, C7E-C7F, vcount 60, vframe 6.
The characteristics don't help massively either to be honest. When your pokemon has all 30s and 31s, you tend to get three characteristics maximum.
The closest match I can see (under 1000 frames) is:
(The frames from which such nature+characteristic occurs:)
  • 567?
It might be worth checking around here for them. If you can backup your save, you can bring it up to Gen 6 and I can check the PID for you there, but otherwise I'm nots sure :/. Did you check that all of the above Pokémon you encountered had the desired IVs (i.e. were definitely from the desired seed)?

I've had a look at a few of those myself. Yes, I'm sure it's the right seed - I wrote down the first ten chatot pitches for the C7E (correct) seed and the C7F, so I can know immediately whether or not I've hit the right seed. Good thing too - timer0 trolled me by landing on C7F 11 times while I was trying to find the +30 advancement. Do you know of any way to check a PID/backup a save safely using AR? I bought one a while ago to check my SID, so that'd help if so.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I've had a look at a few of those myself. Yes, I'm sure it's the right seed - I wrote down the first ten chatot pitches for the C7E (correct) seed and the C7F, so I can know immediately whether or not I've hit the right seed. Good thing too - timer0 trolled me by landing on C7F 11 times while I was trying to find the +30 advancement. Do you know of any way to check a PID/backup a save safely using AR? I bought one a while ago to check my SID, so that'd help if so.
Been checking this in RNG reporter just now and fwiw there's an Impish one at frame 539 as well, so then those frames would line up nicely and your initial frame would seem to be 470 - unfortunately the characteristic doesn't match, but I vaguely recall .com mentioning at some point that RNG reporter's characteristics are not always entirely accurate, so then it wouldn't be a huge problem.. I also recall my initial frame being in the high 400s when I RNGed Thundurus (in summer) a couple of months ago, so 470 definitely looks reasonable. I recommend trying 420 advancements now and see if you land somewhere around 890. Good luck, you're gonna need it :(

.com

Grumpy old man
Catch the Pokémon, transfer to Gen 6, check PID there, then use a re-encounter code and get back to the point you're at now. No one can give you the re-encounter code here, but a quick check on google shows it's relatively easily findable.
[If it's the type of Action Replay with a MicroSD card it's even easier since you can just backup the save with that, check a PID using PokéGen and then restore the previous one, but those ARs aren't particularly common.]

But if what The Dutch Plumberjack says is accurate [ then I have no idea why I couldn't spot it... It's late, don't blame me :( ] then it sounds like that's pretty likely to be your shifted starting frame and a bit of trial and error from there may work.

Edit: PPRNG states 539 is Mischievous which matches a quick computation by hand. But hey, the game may match whatever it wants. :)

Last edited:
Right, cheers. I'll give that a go. Hopefully I'll manage it in a day or so and I can get on with my pokelife!

I've done it twice, and while I can't 100% confirm I'm on the right track....first time I advanced from initial frame 51 to frame 469. I got a thrashing careful roamer, which matches up with 898, ten ahead. I went to 459 the second time and got a mischievous quiet roamer, which would correspond to 878/881? Does this sound in line, or should it be more consistent than that? After all, when I advance the frame 10/20/30/40, the pokemon I catch is reliably the same. The only thing I could think of that would make it behave how it has (aka, frames not in consistent increments) is that every PID frame has an associated advancement when I go outside - like say, the roamer weather will advance the frame 420 if I go outside frame x, 432 if frame y, etc. Does that sound feasible? I can't think what else would be affecting the frame, if results are replicable. If it's how I think it is, then my best course of action would probably be to try 460, 461, 462 and so on, seeing where it ended up.

Last edited by a moderator:

.com

Grumpy old man
I covered this the other day, but basically the "random" frame advances [from the weather/NPCs/etc.] aren't consistent, because they're not consistently triggered.

What I mean by this is that the "random" frame advancements (weather/NPCs/etc.) aren't set to advance 1 frame every .05 seconds or anything. They may advance 1 frame after .05, but then the next one not until .25 seconds after that (for example).

[As an aside, I seem to recall reading they may be determined by the Timer0/1/2/3 of your game which, being so stupidly fast, seem additionally random. But that doesn't help.]

But the point being that just because you're taking the same amount of time to get through the weather cutscene, the game may make a different number of frame advancements in that period. So when you advance 0 frames, it advances 419; but when you advance 10 frames, it advances 421 in that same time.

From the player's perspective it seems strange that 0 advances = frame 470, 10 advances = frame 482, but it's just that the game's triggered two additional random advancements in that time.
But anyways; yes, what you've posted seems within reasonable ranges. Seems like you're getting close :).

I covered this the other day, but basically the "random" frame advances [from the weather/NPCs/etc.] aren't consistent, because they're not consistently triggered.

What I mean by this is that the "random" frame advancements (weather/NPCs/etc.) aren't set to advance 1 frame every .05 seconds or anything. They may advance 1 frame after .05, but then the next one not until .25 seconds after that (for example).

From the player's perspective it seems strange that 0 advances = frame 470, 10 advances = frame 482, but it's just that the game's triggered two additional random advancements in that time.
I mostly understand that - what perplexes me is that, if the weather advances truly are random, why can I consistently catch the same pokemon if I chatot the frame a certain number of times? I can confirm the SSF pokemon to be jolly, the one ten after to be hasty, etc. If I stop on frame 459 before leaving the house, the thundurus caught will always be the frame 878 thundurus. How, then, can the weather advancement be random? If it was, then surely it would be like RNGing a wild pokemon with WNPCs around, which I asked you about before - I should be able to choose a frame close to my target frame and just try again and again, getting different pokemon until finally I hit my frame. But it doesn't work like that - it's consistent. So surely that means that the weather advancement isn't truly random? And if it somehow is - that still means that I need to try every frame from, like, 449-499 to find out whether it hits my target frame. Since the results are consistent, I can't just keep trying until I succeed - if the frames don't line up, then that means I will never be able to hit my target frame. Does that make sense?

.com

Grumpy old man
They're not truly random, they're just not consistent.
[Numbers for illustrative purposes only:]
Say you're on frame 100 when you let the random advancements begin; then the RNG is in a state to advance 200 times in a 10 second interval.
If you're on frame 110 when you let them begin; the RNG is in a state to do 195 advancements in the same interval.

But they are still deterministic (e.g. it's not triggered by a radioactive decay or anything, something does tell them to advance). So if you start at frame 100, and you consistently take the same amount of time, then (usually) they will advance the same 200 times in that interval; similarly if you started at frame 110 they'd (usually) advance 195 times.

I say usually because if you take even .1 seconds longer, you could well have triggered another advancement or two. And if they are controlled by one of the internal timers, even taking a different amount of time (with no advancements) before letting them start may affect the results.
Anyways, given what I'm saying is from memory (and what I feel I read in a thread years ago which I can no longer locate) I suppose an easier way of saying it is just "because that's the way it is" :).

Hopefully there's a couple of seeds you can use in there. Seed isn't listed but button combinations + Date/Time are, so you should be able to find them in reporter. (Apologies for the ludicrously large image sizes.)
lol, no worries. Sorry for the late response. Thanks for the Seeds! However, setting the IV range to 3 in the Adjacent Seed Tool and checking the B/W2? has greatly helped me already in finding where I am. I think that the Timer0's of which I expected them to be common, might not be common at all. I've RNG'd a few wild shinies now (one being the thing I wanted!) and it usually took me 15+ tries AT LEAST.

I've also tried doing some Cute Charm RNGs because they had some nice spreads, but I can't even determine where I am so I'm giving up on those. Seems RNGReporter doesn't support it anyway?

I'm gonna do an overnight search for spreads/seeds using Timer0 of 10F3 because it might actually be more common. I've seen them range from 10F2 to 10F6 (possibly more) and even determining the SSF is a bunch of bollocks in this game. I'll give my current seed a few more tries, but I almost never hit it (it's not my timing, I'm certain of that. If I can hit a frame perfectly on 3rd gen, I should be able to do so on gen 5...).

Quick question though, for Black and White 1. Is tall grass supported in RNGReporter? Or does it only work if I get an encounter with just one Pokemon (something I read in the PPRNG guide)?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I've also tried doing some Cute Charm RNGs because they had some nice spreads, but I can't even determine where I am so I'm giving up on those. Seems RNGReporter doesn't support it anyway?

Quick question though, for Black and White 1. Is tall grass supported in RNGReporter? Or does it only work if I get an encounter with just one Pokemon (something I read in the PPRNG guide)?
Congrats on the shinies! :)

The Reporter supports Cute Charm. Did you click the "synchronize" button in the main window to switch it over to "Cute Charm"?

I've never tried RNGing from double grass, but I'd image it's exactly the same as a regular wild Pokemon in terms of what you choose as your encounter type. The encounter slots are different for double grass, but that's not Reporter specific. The basics of the PPRNG guide should hold, with the exception that the Reporter won't tell you if it's a double battle.

which I guess could be a problem if your desired Pokemon happens to be the one on the left, and you are referring to the comment that only the one on the right can be RNG'd. If that's the case, then you may have to pick another seed.

Congrats on the shinies! :)

The Reporter supports Cute Charm. Did you click the "synchronize" button in the main window to switch it over to "Cute Charm"?

I've never tried RNGing from double grass, but I'd image it's exactly the same as a regular wild Pokemon in terms of what you choose as your encounter type. The encounter slots are different for double grass, but that's not Reporter specific. The basics of the PPRNG guide should hold, with the exception that the Reporter won't tell you if it's a double battle.

which I guess could be a problem if your desired Pokemon happens to be the one on the left, and you are referring to the comment that only the one on the right can be RNG'd. If that's the case, then you may have to pick another seed.
Thanks. =) Already have 4 team members lol (Elekid took forever though, because of WNPC's and Battle NPC's...).

I didn't even realize I could click on the Synchronize button haha. Good to know!

And yeah, that's what I meant in regards to the Pokemon to be RNG'd on the right and stuff.

Another question because wynaut? I remember being able to clear the sandstorm in BW1, but I don't think it works the same in White 2, right? I want to RNG a Braviary, but the Sandstorm advances the frame by like 60 per second.

Is there a good way for doing this? I mean, in one of my tries, while doing one Chatot call, I found a frame at 114 (maybe more) while starting frame is like 55, so that would make sense. Target frame is 135 so I advanced 22 from start and got a lot of hits because lol Synchronize. Next try, with 21, I hit 172 (didn't Synch)! I must have been to slow with either getting the Start menu up or encountering the Pokemon or will the advancing of the frames happen regardless of speed? I will of course give it plenty of tries but I figured I could ask anyway.

Edit -> Perhaps I should do it without Synchronize, will help me find my frame...

Edit2 -> I'm starting to think my SSF is somewhere in the 300. If, without a Syncher, I catch the first Braviary I find, I find a frame of like 224 or 305, but if I advance once, I got like 114 or 307. Latter makes more sense. It also explains why one of the tries with 21 advances got me 86, 95 or 340. A few frames too late with the menu might explain the few extra frames. I'm guessing the game is advancing the frame during the season popup. Guess I'll look for a seed that has a shiny frame in the 300s...

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Another question because wynaut? I remember being able to clear the sandstorm in BW1, but I don't think it works the same in White 2, right? I want to RNG a Braviary, but the Sandstorm advances the frame by like 60 per second.

Is there a good way for doing this?
There's no known way to get rid of the sandstorm in BW2. So you'll have to treat it like NPCs, brining up the menu asap as you're doing. It's annoying, but doable.

Although you seemed to already figure this out, the sandstorm does advance the frames before you even gain control (i.e. during the season screen/immediately after) so you'll have to find your SSF.

There's no known way to get rid of the sandstorm in BW2. So you'll have to treat it like NPCs, brining up the menu asap as you're doing. It's annoying, but doable.

Although you seemed to already figure this out, the sandstorm does advance the frames before you even gain control (i.e. during the season screen/immediately after) so you'll have to find your SSF.
Yeah, figures. This is gonna get dumb. =X

You see, could it be that the game still advances frames the moment you get the menu up (since you see the sandstorm raging) or does it advance frames when you leave the menu? The moment I try using Chatot calls, I get really weird frames.

I did some tests with a new Seed (target 325) and got the following results:
With 0 advances:
Calm, Somewhat vain, 311 or 319 (twice!)
Bashful, Capable of taking hits, 151, 199, 205 or 315
Bashful, Misschievous, 100, 216 or 335 (a bit slow on purpose)
Jolly, Somewhat vain, 158, 175, 186, 237, 307 or 457
Naive, Misschievous, 93, 323 or 463 (thrice, by going 'slowly'!)
Modest, Capable of taking hits, 150, 359, 442 (I believe I was a bit slow here)
Docile, Misschievous, 142, 363 (slow here as well, I think I used the menu)

With 6 advances (assuming I hit 319 regulary):
Mild, Alert to sounds, 476
Lax, Capable of taking hits, 157 or 349

I think it's fair to say that my range is somewhere between 307 and 319, which is a big range. The thing is, I'm fearing that opening and closing the menu does not work in my favor at all and I'm afraid I'll have to just hope I time it right. I think I'll do a couple more tests without a Syncher to see if I can somehow hit my frame or at least close...

Also sorry for all the dumb questions, BW2 RNG is a little more annoying than I initially thought. =X

Edit: thank god I send over my Master Ball for easy checking though. This would have been a horror without. XD

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
You see, could it be that the game still advances frames the moment you get the menu up (since you see the sandstorm raging) or does it advance frames when you leave the menu? The moment I try using Chatot calls, I get really weird frames.
The frames would still be advancing the in split seconds before the menu is fully opened and between closing the menu and pushing A. So if you compare the frame you hit while immediately pushing A, and the frame you'd get by opening/closing the menu and then hitting A, the latter would be higher.

Personally, I'd try to use a Chatot rather than solely relying on the sandstorm (Time wise, I feel like I'd open/close the menu more consistently than trying to make myself "slow down"). If you go that route, you could try opening/closing the menu without any Chatot calls to see what your minimum SSF would be. From there, you could adjust with Chatots accordingly.

Either way, its going to come down to luck and being consistent.

Can someone please point me to a guide for RNGing shiny roamers that does NOT require the use of PokéCheck? IIRC there was one on NuggetBridge a few years ago, but I can't seem to find it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)