5th Generation Offense

Introduction

Welcome everyone, to my first RMT! I have had great success on the ladder this this team and although I'm sure it has a few flaws I feel it is ready for an RMT. I welcome your feedback as I am always looking to improve, in particular, any suggestions for improved EV spreads would be appreciated. So read, rate, enjoy; without further ado, this is my 5th generation team.

^^At a Glance^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Depth

The Lead/Mixed Attacker

Tyranitar@Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EV's: 128 Atk/ 128 SpA/ 252 SpE
Hardy Nature(Neutral Nature)
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
Now I know what you're thinking, but don't stop reading just yet. This is my favorite and only gimmicky pokemon, and it actually works, not situationally, but almost all the time. Because of Tyranitar's fearsome attack stat it doesn't require too much investment to hit like a truck, and it still does. Adding Ice Beam and Fire Blast to its moveset allows it to unexpectidly damage or KO some of its most common switch-ins, namely Skarmory and the unholy poison heal Gliscor. Both of these physical walls present problems for most of my team, and adding this variant of Tyranitar helps me deal with them more effectively. This monster OHKO's all variants of Gliscor with ice beam unless they have extreme Special investment, and always 2HKO's Skarmory with fire blast. Due to the surprise factor of this set these two commonly stay in and feel Tyranitar's wrath. Of course, in addition to being a useful cleaner/revenger in its own right, it sets up sandstorm which assists the rest of my team.

The Physical Sweeper

Doryuuzu@Balloon
Ability: Sand Throw
EV's: 252 Atk/ 252 SpE/ 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
One of the most well known pokemon of generation 5, and guaranteed a spot on any sand team, Doryuuzu. Now we all know that Doryuuzu is a giant beast and team destroyer in the sand, so I won't bother going into too much detail on that part. I run the usual set with max attack and speed, giving it an amazing 405 attack stat, and a 550 speed stat, enough to out-speed any unboosted or unscarfed pokemon in the game in sand. With swords dance boosting its already amazing attacking stat, this thing can tear through teams. Earthquake and rock slide give it legendary quakedge coverage, while X-Scissor provides extra coverage on dark and grass types. On the downside this thing is easily shut down by a few common pokemon. Skarmory can take any attack from doryuuzu, set up some hazards, then whirlwind it out, while gliscor can stall it out with either acrobat + roost or simply KO it with earthquake. Even with these faults Doryuuzu is a fearsome sweeper and a useful member of the team.

The Super Cleaner/Revenger

Garchomp@Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
EV's: 252 Atk/ 252 SpE/ 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
We all know of Garchomp's power from its short reign in generation 4, and the ground shark is back in full-force. The scarf set allows chomp to outspeed a large majority of the metagame, and tear through teams with its ridiculous stab outrage. After the rest of my team eliminates any steel types from the opponent's lineup this thing can clean through their mons unless one of their names is Gliscor. Earthquake provides a great stab and is fearsome when combined with stone edge. Fire fang is on the set to deal with some threats that would wall him such as Nattorei and other steel types who just love to switch in on his outrage. Any time the rest of my team fails to take out something I can fall back on Garchomp.

The Special Attacker

Latios@Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 SpA/ 252 SpE/ 4 SpD
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
Latios is one of my two special attackers. Now the set I'm running is a bit unorthodox but not too unusual. I prefer this leftovers set to the standard life orb + recover and three attacks because it allows for more coverage without the need to take a turn to heal. With the coverage provided by dragon pulse and boltbeam Latios is a very potent threat. The hp fire is there to deal with the Nattorei and Scizor that it inevitably draws in. I used to run the life orb set but found with hazards, recoil, and sand damage Latios was taken out before it could do as much damage as it could have, and when running recover I felt that turn could be better used to damage the opponent. The only things that consistently troubles Latios are Blissey, obviously, and opposing scarfed Tyranitars with crunch/pursuit. Latios stops me from being totally walled from certain pokemon due to the generally physical nature of my team.

The Stallbreaker/Wrecking Ball​

Randorosu@Leftovers
Ability: Sand Power
EV's: 252 Atk/ 252 SpE/ 4 Def
Jolly Nature (+SpE, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Brick Break
Randorosu has been discovered more recently than Doryuuzu, but just possibly even more dangerous in the sand. Because of its ability, sand power, it gets a 1.3x boost to any ground, rock, or steel attack. Because of this combined with its stab earthquake, and boosted rock edge, Randorosu's power is amazing. After a swords dance it can OHKO a majority of the metagame with one of its coverage moves, brick break it necessary. Randorosu's damage output is great, even dedicated physically walls like Skarmory are powerless before it. After a swords dance it can 2HKO both Gliscor and Skarmory with stone edge, and even OHKO the notoriously hard to kill Rankurusu with an earthquake. This thing breaks through stall like its nothing, and can wreck opposing offense teams as well if they are unprepared, or just not carrying ice shard.

The Special Setup/Supporter

Voltolos@Life Orb
Ability: Mischievous Heart
EV's: 252 SpA/ 252 SpE/ 4 SpD
Timid Nature (+SpE, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
This is the only pokemon on my team I'm not completely sure about keeping, so if you have any suggestions, please mention them. My reasoning for this is that it provides a much needed special attacker, being one of the only two on my team. It also can hit like a truck, and after a nasty plot can smash through most enemies short of Blissey. The thunder wave is on the set to cripple and pokemon that could be a serious threat to my team so that his teammates can deal with it with much more ease. Dark pulse provides some coverage on rankurusu and the lati twins, and although focus blast provides more, I simply cannot stand its accuracy so I decided on dark pulse.

Threat List Coming Tomarrow

Conclusion
So that concludes my first RMT. Rate, hate, love, whatever, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading!​

Uh... First of all, you have a 4-member ice weakness, and no resists... Scarf Starmie rapes everything on this team so badly its not even funny... Unboosted X-scissor from Dory fails to OHKO. Anyways, on to the suggestions.

Your evs on Tyranitar are somewhat strange, Superpower is already strong without too much investment. In addition, give it a +Speed nature, otherwise the Choice Scarf is somewhat pointless... or at least an attack/special attack boosting nature. I would personally change Tyranitar to a bulky set that has ice beam and fire blast and stealth rock + filler since entry hazards are crucial for certain KOs. There are way too many different sets for that so I'll leave it up to you to do some research and experimenting. Doryuuzu looks fine, just like every other Dory on every sand team...

Ehh... In my opinion, ScarfChomp is overrated. Once it gets locked into Outrage its set up fodder for Nattorei and Skarmory, if its locked into Earthquake, flying types/levitators and balloon pokemon, etc etc you get the point. I would suggest a bulky RestTalk set with Dragon Tail + Swords Dance to provide some phazing and shuffling around to build up stealth rock damage. It's also useful to see what the opponent's counters are.

Oh dear... NEVER EVER run Modest on Latios. Its ALWAYS better to run Timid, otherwise, with the advent of the 108 speed tier, he will be outspeed and easily revenged. Timid + Life Orb or Specs works just fine. I see that you are using the double dragon strategy, but you really need an ice resist, seriously... I honestly think you should wither go with my recommended set for Garchomp and make Latios a revenge killer with Specs/Scarf or just ditch Garchomp and use Latios as your hit-and-run sweeper.

On Landlos, I would suggest running Hidden Power Ice over Brick Break to defeat those annoying Gliscor (it OHKO's 99% of the time) and a Naive nature so you don't take away from Landlos's spectacular special attack stat. Brick Break really does nothing to any of Landlos's counters (Bronzong, Skarmory, etc.); it's a fairly useless move for Landlos.

I would suggest completely replacing Voltolos. I know you like it for MH thunder wave, but it really doesn't do much for your team otherwise and Life Orb + SS damage wears it down very quickly. Try replacing it with something like Scizor, who can provide a desperately needed Ice resist along with priority and u-turn. I would recommend either the Choice Band set or the SD + Life Orb set.

Damn that was a long rate. Ok, hope I helped, and good luck with the team.

Hi Marcurcio, this is certainly an interesting build here, although there are quite a few problems that need addressing.

As it stands, using a Hardy nature is a very bad option. By using a Hardy nature you no longer outspeed Starmie, Gengar, Azelf, Latias, Latios, Terakion and Birijion. Using a Hasty nature is a must. This will allow you to outspeed all the aforementioned threats and lower that stat Tyranitar needs the least [defense] as it will be coming in more often against the Lati twins and such more than physical attackers. If you were to bring it in against a Rain Team, the chances of it taking a physical attack are much lower than a special attack as Pokemon such as Politoed, Manaphy and Kingdra are all usually specially-based. As for the rest of the team, as I scroll down you seem to be using some very odd, and inefficient EV spreads. Latios should never run Modest unless you want to lose the ability to outrun two of the three genies, Terakion, Infernape, Birijion, Garchomp, Salamence and Sazandora. You also seem to be using Leftovers when personally I prefer Latios to be wanting as much power as possible [without converting to a Modest nature obviously...]. I think this Latios would benefit your team much better:

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid | Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Draco Meteor / Hidden Power [Fire] / Thunderbolt / Recover

This Latios will give you the freedom to change moves which you seemed to want and I know you seem to dislike the Life Orb + 3 Attack Latios as identified in Latios' paragraph, you really want this set. Even if you disliek Life Orb, do not change Recover. Recover is what this team really needs; looking over it, I see a huge water-weakness, a large weakness to Birijion and quite a dire grass-type weakness in general, even though you are equipped with Voltolos. This is because the overlapping weaknesses that running 3 ground-type Pokemon create and I will address that issue now. Basically, keeping Latios alive is imperative to the success of this team.

Looking over your team, I certainly question Garchomp's placement. From the looks of things, it seems you have thrown it in as a dedicated revenge killer, when the fact of the matter is, you do not need one. Every single other member of your team as a speed pass the base 100 threshold so having a dedicated revenge killer is almost pointless, especially since Doryuuzu can outrun pretty much anything during Sandstorm. Garchomp compounds your ice-weakness in my opinion and you are certainly going to have problems with pretty much any Rain Dance team. Your team also seems to be lacking Stealth Rock, which is actually quite quintessential for an offensive team like this. I think the ideal replacement for Garchomp would be Nattorei. While Nattorei does not resist Ice, it has a very easy time taking on most special-attackers that do run an Ice attack as usually they will run it alongside their water stab, see Politoed, Manaphy, Ludicolo etc. Nattorei will give you a much stronger defense against Rain teams and will be able to set up that coveted Stealth Rock that will aid your sweepers greatly.

Nattorei @ Leftovers
Sassy | Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SpDef
Stealth Rock / Leech Seed / Power Whip / Gyro Ball

Finally, a couple of your moveset choices look a bit odd. For one, why is Randorusu using Brick Break? Brick Break offers no extra coverage outside of hitting Bronzong for slightly higher damage. That is perhaps its only pro. By running Hidden Power [Ice] you will have the ability to lure out and take down Gliscor who hinders Doryuuzu. However, you will need to use a Life Orb to even guarantee the KO on it, or else you will have to invest significantly in special attack. Voltolos should also be running Hidden Power [Ice] and Focus Blast, and I know you do dislike Focus Blast as it is pretty unreliable it will net certain KOes against threats to Voltolos such as Tyranitar and Nattorei, and in reality is definitely worht a moveslot. If not, definitely use Hidden Power [Ice] over Dark Pulse.

Good luck!

I very much appreciate the comments, and understand the concerns. The ice weakness, in my experience on the ladder recently, hasn't been too much of a problem because most ice users can be out sped and OHKO'd by most of the team, unless its an ice shard which doesn't always have the required power to OHKO most of my mons. I will test out that Latios set, hopefully the extra power provided by draco meteor and life orb will help, along with recovery. I think I'll also test the nattorei over garchomp because I am severely lacking in hazards. Definatly putting in hp ice on landlos, and still considering the replacement of voltolos, but for now I'll try out the focus blast variant. Thanks for the suggestions.

Just telling you, you really should be a little scared at least a little bit by ice... Dead serious, my Cloyster can rip your team apart so fast it's not funny...
If I were you, at least I'd switch things a bit, going Choice Scarf on Randorosu and Yache Berry SD Garchomp, it will let you scout with U-Turn in the first case, and in the second one, most of the time when somebody sees Garchomp, they will switch to something able to wall its Outrage, but if you SD in the switch-in, you won't be locked and will be able to choose how to deal with the threat, while Yache Berry most likely will buy you a turn.
After that, I'd give TyraniBoah a try (SubPunch), and maybe replace Voltolos for a Burungeru to wall and cover your weaknesses.
And to top all of that, switch X-Scissor for Aerial Ace, if you've seen a Mach Punch user (like breloom or roobushin) on the WiFi preview, you can be sure they are going in after you've switched in Dory. Surprise them with a nice AA, it can OHKO on Breloom and land a nice hit on Roob or any other fighting poke.

Just my 2 cents, good luck on your team ;-)

Just telling you, you really should be a little scared at least a little bit by ice... Dead serious, my Cloyster can rip your team apart so fast it's not funny...
If I were you, at least I'd switch things a bit, going Choice Scarf on Randorosu and Yache Berry SD Garchomp, it will let you scout with U-Turn in the first case, and in the second one, most of the time when somebody sees Garchomp, they will switch to something able to wall its Outrage, but if you SD in the switch-in, you won't be locked and will be able to choose how to deal with the threat, while Yache Berry most likely will buy you a turn.
After that, I'd give TyraniBoah a try (SubPunch), and maybe replace Voltolos for a Burungeru to wall and cover your weaknesses.
And to top all of that, switch X-Scissor for Aerial Ace, if you've seen a Mach Punch user (like breloom or roobushin) on the WiFi preview, you can be sure they are going in after you've switched in Dory. Surprise them with a nice AA, it can OHKO on Breloom and land a nice hit on Roob or any other fighting poke.

Just my 2 cents, good luck on your team ;-)
I've never gotten swept by a Cloyster because they need a turn to shell break and I can almost always kill them that turn. Also, I don't think I've ever seen Aerial ace run, ever. I might try yache chomp if I'm not satisfied with him after I change a few of the other members, thanks for the feedback.

While Aerial Ace will OHKO Brelloom, STAB EQ hits everything else harder. There's no point. X-Scissor is far more useful for Rankurusu and Lati@s.I agree, your type enyergy is pertty bad. Very big water and ice problems. CM Virizion alone will take care of your twhole team bar Scarfchomp, but then there's the other 5 pokemon. Not to mention Choice Band Mamoswine, Cloyster, Kingdra, Ludicolo, etc. You also son't have anything to sponge Draco Meteors. Only one who resists is Dory and you're not switching him into THAT. A solid defensive steel that can absorb Ice and Dragon will help a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)