_-~SPL AWARDS~-_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Luckiest Performance - Awarded to the player/battle with the most outrageous luck involved

Too lazy to update OP but probably will send prospective list of awards to other managers in the next couple days and maybe we can get voting done in time to release results as finals end.

So if you guys are holding on to any clever ideas probably time to let that shit go.

I got a little behind on this with Smogon being temporarily destroyed by lasers or whatever and then finals coming but ballots were sent out today. Here is what I sent to keep everyone in the loop:

Also I found out Hunt does in fact have assistants after I sent this but for some reason they aren't listed on the roster page so they can deal with this themselves I guess.

Synre said:
ok SO SPL Award voting lets make it happen

The voting pool is 21 people, with 2 voters from each team and an extra vote from LN. I would have included Mekkah as well but I'm pretty sure I may as well poll random people on the street at that point as they had similar levels of involvement.

Anyway, I picked the team manager and then the assistant manager who seemed most active of the two(or a player rather arbitrarily if no assistant existed or the assistant(s) was obviously inactive). If teams would like other people on their teams to use their two votes they can go ahead, just keep it to two votes per team.

Voter pool is currently:
Sharks: makiri, MoP
Ruiners: whistle, Earthworm
Scooters: Synre, evan
Wolfpack: Jackal, goofball
Tigers: tennisace, GoldenKnight
Brits: Kinneas, Tab
Bigs: Fabbles, CTI
Raiders: RBG, Aerrow
Classiest: Dubulous, Stallion
Cryonicles: Huntofthelion, bad ass
Commish: LonelyNess

If someone really wanted a category I didn't pick, let me know and we'll see what we can do, but basically I picked categories with these restrictions in mind:
1. Awards mean more if we can use the same awards year after, so I tried to pick stuff that will work every year. Stuff like rookie of the year that kind of sucks this year with SPL1 and SPL2 so close together will be better in the future.
2. I tried to stay positive with awards. There's a one negative one, but I don't think it's necessary to mock people with awards too much and winning should be good here. With the remaining negative award, people set themselves up so I don't feel too guilty. Definitely behavior we want to discourage.
3. Awards don't mean much if there is too many of them. We had lots of cool ideas, but if we vote on 35 awards who really gives a fuck about each one?
4. I tried to stick to categories general enough that most of our voter pool would actually be able to vote intelligently. Awards need to be based on something observable by everyone.

Voting Rules:
1. Vote for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place option for each player, which will be tallied at the end on a 5/3/1 point scale.
2. Do not vote for your own players in any category. This removes some of the bias.
3. I'd like to have all votes in by April 30th at 11:59pm EST. It would be great if people could be faster than that so we can get this done, since I'm kind of lagging behind with the Smogon outage and then getting busy. Just PM me your votes ASAP.

Categories/Handy Voter fillout sheet:

Individual Awards

Most Valuable Player
Description: Awarded to the player most valuable to his team's success. This is subjective, but keep in mind things like record, how successful the player was when it counted, and the player's willingness to help their teams as important factors.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Best Value
Description: Awarded to the player who was most valuable relative to his salary. Think players like apologies last year who was like 6-1 or whatever for 3k.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

The amazing reyscarface award
Description: The player who was the whiniest, most obnoxious competitor in SPL. Some subjectivity here, obviously, but I'd wager most of you have people in mind.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Rookie of the Year
Description: Awarded to the player who did not participate in SPL1 who was the biggest asset to his SPL2 team.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Team Awards

Biggest Surprise
Description: Awarded to team that surprised you by performing differently than you expected them to. Hopefully either a team you expected to be terrible that wound up being good or a good team that wound up being great, but possibly just a team that you expected to be good that was terrible instead.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Best Managed
Description: To be awarded to the management team you thought did the best job encompassing everything a manager has to do. Includes drafting and retaining, being clever about setting rosters, making smart trades throughout the season, and anything else you might attribute to management... (vote for teams on this one)
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Best Sub/11th man
Description: Awarded to the player who started out the season benched or who was often not a starter that came through for his team when the team finally ended up playing him.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

The All-SPL Team
Description: For this final award, simply fill out who you'd pick for each SPL metagame if you had everyone who played in the SPL available to play one game in each metagame and you absolutely had to win it. Judge based on how well you think players played in their respective metagames, not necessarily on their record, which we could just do objectively. Players must have played at least 3 games in the given metagame to be eligible. You still can't vote for your own players.

BW OU:
BW OU:
BW OU:
BW Ubers:
VGC 2011:
DP OU:
DP UU:
ADV:
GSC:
RBY:

Anyway people are being super lazy on this I'll give it another 24 or 48 hours and then just tally it up with half the submissions missing.

If you aren't a manager of one of the four playoff teams probably you didn't bother to vote so you should get on this. Or hopefully you aren't one of those people and would instead like to harass them to get their votes in for me. Yeah.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If you aren't a manager of one of the four playoff teams probably you didn't bother to vote so you should get on this. Or hopefully you aren't one of those people and would instead like to harass them to get their votes in for me. Yeah.
Option C

ill total this up tomorrow or something but yeah still at super impressive 50% voter turnout

whcih strangley includes some people who barely did anything during the actual spl

Results for SPL awards finally up here as I officially give up on getting votes. Speaking of which, here are the votes I actually received seperated by team:

Sharks 2/2
Ruiners 2/2
Scooters 2/2
Wolfpack 2/2
Tigers 0/2
Bigs 1/2
Brits 1/2
Classiest 1/2
Cryonicles 1/2
LonelyNess: 0/1

There was a clause with the voting that voters couldn't vote for their own team, so if a vote within a few points with a player who's managers voted losing to one who didn't I had every intention to give it to the person from the team that actually voted, since that's probably would have happened anyway. I never actually thought a situation was appropriate to do so, but I'm totally willing to change something posthumously there if someone makes a good argument. Every category required a 1st/2nd/3rd vote with a 5-3-1 point system awarded. If managers were too stupid to actually fill out all 3 for the category I should probably have had some sort of penalty, but really at this point I'm just happy some people voted at all. This also goes for people who voted for people for rookie of the year who weren't actually rookies, which is mindblowing but I hopefully just ignored those votes.

Since 11 of us voted, the most any one player could get in any category ranged from 50-60 points depending on if they were on a team with active managers who actually voted or not. I arbitrarily included Honorable Mentions to people who were relatively close to the top 2 in a given category.

Most Valuable Player
Description: Awarded to the player most valuable to his team's success. This is subjective, but keep in mind things like record, how successful the player was when it counted, and the player's willingness to help their teams as important factors.

Winner: trickroom (Wifi Wolfpack) [22 points]
Runner-Up: reachzero (Wifi Wolfpack) [18 points]
Honorable Mentions: The Chaser (Alpha Ruiners) [17 Points], Eo Ut Mortus (Congregation of the Classiest) [13 Points]

Best Value
Description: Awarded to the player who was most valuable relative to his salary. Think players like apologies last year who was like 6-1 or whatever for 3k.

Winner: eaglesrock (Indie Scooters) [45 Points]
Runner-Up: Smurf. (Stark Sharks) [15 Points]
Honorable Mention: Indra (Smogon's Greatest Brits) [12 Points]

The amazing reyscarface award
Description: The player who was the whiniest, most obnoxious competitor in SPL. Some subjectivity here, obviously, but I'd wager most of you have people in mind.

Loser: reyscarface (Wifi Wolfpack) [45 Points]
Runner-Up: Scofield (Alpha Ruiners) [32 Points]
Dishonorable Mentions: Snunch (Congregation of the Classiest) [6 Points], badass (The Cryonicles) [5 Points], LonelyNess [5 Points]

Rookie of the Year
Description: Awarded to the player who did not participate in SPL1 who was the biggest asset to his SPL2 team.

Winner: trickroom (Wifi Wolfpack) [40 Points]
Runner-Up: ]V[ajin Tupac_Z (Circus Maximus Tigers) [21 Points]
Honorable Mentions: eaglesrock (Indie Scooters) [15 Points], OmegaDonut (Smogon's Greatest Brits) [10 Points]

Best Sub/11th Man
Description: Awarded to the player who started out the season benched or who was often not a starter that came through for his team when the team finally ended up playing him.

Winner: Lakers (Wifi Wolfpack) [20 Points]
Runner-up: symphonyx64 (Evergrande Bigs) [18 Points]
Honorable Mentions: Indra (Smogon's Greatest Brits) and Human (Cryonicles) [16 Points], Ala (Stark Sharks) [9 Points]

Team Awards

Biggest Surprise

Description: Awarded to team that surprised you by performing differently than you expected them to. Hopefully either a team you expected to be terrible that wound up being good or a good team that wound up being great, but possibly just a team that you expected to be good that was terrible instead.

Winner: Cryonicles [19 Points]
Runners Up(tie): Stark Sharks and Congregation of the Classiest [18 Points]
Honorable Mentions: Indie Scooters, Team Raiders, and Smogon's Greatest Brits [9 Points], Circus Maximus Tigers [8 Points]

In retrospect this category was way too ambiguous, as evidenced by the spread of votes. Probably won't keep this next year.

Best Managed
Description: To be awarded to the management team you thought did the best job encompassing everything a manager has to do. Includes drafting and retaining, being clever about setting rosters, making smart trades throughout the season, and anything else you might attribute to management... (vote for teams on this one)

Winner: Indie Scooters [36 Points]
Runner-up: Stark Sharks [26 Points]
Honorable Mentions: Wifi Wolfpack [15 Points], Smogon's Greatest Brits [11 Points]

The All-SPL Team
Description: For this final award, simply fill out who you'd pick for each SPL metagame if you had everyone who played in the SPL available to play one game in each metagame and you absolutely had to win it. Judge based on how well you think players played in their respective metagames, not necessarily on their record, which we could just do objectively. Players must have played at least 3 games in the given metagame to be eligible. You still can't vote for your own players. (Only one point per vote here, no 5-3-1)

SPL All-Star Team
BW OU: Iconic (Wifi Wolfpack) [8 Points]
BW OU: Eternal (Stark Sharks) [7 Points]
BW OU: Indra (Smogon's Greatest Brits) and Atticus (Indie Scooters) [5 Points]
BW Ubers: trickroom (Wifi Wolfpack) [7 Points]
VGC: OmegaDonut (Smogon's Greatest Brits) [9 Points]
DP OU: eaglesrock (Indie Scooters) [8 Points]
DPP UU: ToF (Smogon's Greatest Brits) [7 Points]
ADV OU: ]V[ajin Tupac_Z (Circus Maximus Tigers) [7 Points]
GSC OU: Giga Punch (Smogon's Greatest Brits) [5 Points]
RBY OU: dbolt (Evergrande Bigs) [5 Points]

SPL All-Star Second Team
BW OU: hanke (Alpha Ruiners) [4 Points]
BW OU: Folgorio (Indie Scooters) [2 Points]
BW OU: Lady Bug (Stark Sharks) [2 Points]
BW Ubers: Eo Eu Mortus (Congregation of the Classiest) [4 Points]
VGC 2011: Huy (Congregation of the Classiest) [3 Points]
DPP OU: panamaxis (Stark Sharks) [3 Points]
DPP UU: Bluewind (Circus Maximus Tigers) [4 Points]
ADV OU: goofball (Wifi Wolfpack) [3 Points]
GSC OU: g80 (Indie Scooters) [4 Points]
RBY OU: The Chaser (Alpha Ruiners) [4 Points]

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Note to self: Talk up my own players and we will sweep the awards much like the Wolfpack and their big mouths.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol i have no idea where that came from but ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like i said i would have voted MoP for MVP if i could have

thanks for doing these Synre

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Congrats symph, you were great for us.

Jabba and Solace were supposed to do the votes for us, so I am not sure which one did not.

Glad to see these done.

look at that brit representation in the all spl first team...good work team.

and thanks to all that voted for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)