_-~SPL AWARDS~-_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hip: The long answer: On that point and on the all-star team thing in general, I worded that the award carefully because if people went completely on record there'd be no point in voting... 6/10 of the managers from other teams apparently felt that while The Chaser ended up winning in all but one of his SPL matches, if they had one RBY game they had to win on the line they don't think The Chaser's play during the SPL season indicated he was a better than better another RBY option -- dbolt got 3 of the other 7 votes, Carl, who beat The Chaser in the finals, got 2, and skarm got the other. Pokemon is a game where a lot of strange stuff can happen, I think the all-star vote is interesting because while we have the more objective measure with records, it's neat to see the subjective version based on what people observed throughout the season, too. I voted for Carl, personally, because he won when it counted and I think The Chaser was not as good as his record and that Carl was a lot better than his, partially because he had a slow start.

The short answer: Seriously did you SEE most of those matches?

Fabbles: Solace voted.

Definitely lost a bracket that was sent in so I uh. Updated. That. Yeah.

Good thing that didn't change any results. That could have been embarassing.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
congrats to everyone who won an award (especially my fellow BIGS)

also thanks for doing this synre!

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I understand the concept of voting for the team, but seriously, when has anyone ever gone 10-1 in an rby tournament? (other than ggfan obviously)

Of course he got some luck during the course of it, its RBY. That is still a massive achievement.

I cant say I have seen most of the battles, but I have seen some.. And the fact that you voted for someone who actually lost more times than they won, over the guy who won ten times as much as he lost, I find that hard to believe.

Have a nice day.

hip youre better off posting in the bw uu suspect thread cause you have no idea wtf happened in spl. me and synre and others actually watched all of it

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would also be better off posting in bw uu suspect thread than I would be about how much other people know about anything.

Have a nice day.

The way you worded that doesn't even make sense, but assuming I understand the intent, yes, obviously you know much more about the players' performance in this tournament from looking at their records than those of us who actually participated in the tournament and watched most or all of SPL2's RBY matches, since those are almost always not done in secret, do from that experience. Here is a fun stat: of the 6 voters from other playoff teams, The Chaser didn't get a single vote from any of us. Those are kind of the voters you'd expect to know what they're talking about, don't you think? I think collectively we all thought The Chaser's play was good but not great and that he got a lot of wins late in the season he really didn't deserve by consistently having superior luck than his opponents, and in spite of having awfully good luck in most of the most important match of the season in the finals, he lost when his team needed him most. You can feel free to disagree, obviously, but regardless of his record he wouldn't even be in my top 4 RBYers if we were to draft again today with everyone available. He won a lot of matches, but he didn't outplay a lot of players while doing so, in my opinion.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
My point was that while I havent seen all or even most of the battles, I have seen some. IE I am not as blind as mop and now you are implying.

I have seen a number of TC's battles, and he has played exceptionally well in all of them. I simply dont believe that there exists a level of play in RBY so superior to TC's that it should overcome what is an incredible achievement of going 10-1 in a non-elimination rby tournament. Especially by a person whose overall record was 4-6. And especially since your defence hasnt been "dbolt was so awesome" it was "tc was so bad" when everything I have seen shows that he wasnt.

Have a nice day.

We get it, Hip, you're upset your Oceania teammate got snubbed, but I think we're all over SPL by now and I don't think anyone is suddenly going to start respecting Chaser because of you complaining we don't respect him. It is my view that he got outplayed badly in several of the weeks ending the season and was bailed out by a dose of RNG that was heavy even for RBY. He then proceeded to be incredibly smug about his own good fortune as though he deserved it from what was often mediocre play or as though he would have won anyway in spite of winning games in ways that are normally reserved for heavily sarcastic RBY doomsday scenarios.

I have no idea what you think you're getting out of this argument.

Reactions: BKC

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
Well, I wasnt really too excited about arguing. I just wanted to make the point I thought chaser should have won it. Your first response was kinda condescending and missed my point. Nobody could possibly be confused about the function of a vote as opposed to just basing everything on record. My point was chaser should have won.

Then mop responded by assuming I hadnt actually seen any of these battles and was just talking out of my ass. Which was false. Then you responded by also assuming I hadnt actually seen any of these battles and was just talking out of my ass. I wanted to clear that up.

That's all.

Have a nice day.

I think we were both being condescending because we honestly can not understand how anyone who saw a majority of Chaser's matches could make the argument you are making. We are dumbfounded.

Though I think it's probably worth noting too that while it didn't influence my vote any(because I didn't think any of his games were particularly spectacular to begin with), I would be surprised if he didn't lose himself some votes by being an ass throughout the season in the same way his teammate Scofield did, who also got a disproportionately low amount of votes relative to his performance. The all-star categories are not the only ones where this seems to have been the case, and I would wager in the voting for awards in many real life sports this sort of thing is a factor as much as it shouldn't be, too.

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
I would be surprised if he didn't lose himself some votes by being an ass throughout the season in the same way his teammate Scofield did, who also got a disproportionately low amount of votes relative to his performance.
chasers one of the more modest players, i don't think i've ever seen him talk himself up or boast

if there logs of him "being an ass" i'd be interested in seein' em

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
during the regular season, chaser was absolutely not an ass (to other teams), and neither was I, as I tried my best to avoid pissy comments and concentrate on the task at hand. unfortunately, towards the end of the run, we both ended up throwing unavoidable hissy fits. in my and my teams defense, we weren't the only ones doing it, but also unfortunately, coming away with the trophy tends to erase any shortcomings and it is ultimately the only thing anyone ends up remembering, leaving us, the non winners looking less than stellar.

as for any weird awards, you have to remember that the people voting aren't necessarily "experts" in these fields like sports writers/award voters tend to be, they don't have access to each irc room, they aren't informed on how every team works, etc. there is no way for them to know certain things, like how much work a player puts in. there is no media to inform them, and even if there were, there is no guarantee that these voters will read everything, as they do have other things to do i'm sure. as a result, things that shouldn't affect votes as much might end up affecting them. people who brag and gloat are definitely more likely to be voted on, since they are just more noticeable. players who don't like other players are more unlikely to vote on them regardless of performance. and of course, things that happen more recently and are fresher in the mind of voters are more likely to get votes and affect voters; see me. it's just more convenient, less time consuming, and all around easier.

in other words, the awards might need a bit of work, but thanks for doing this anyways.

Lady Bug

Like the Wind
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is just what the majoriy of the managers/assistant managers think... I don't know why you guys are getting worked up over it.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why can't people get over this, it's all subjective, just like Smogon Awards and everything else.

But seriously, I never ever saw Chaser brag about his wins, he always seemed to be very educated when he got hax and at least apologized to his opponents, unlike many other people (not that it changes a lot, but shows he can recognize when he gets lucky). If he has ever been an ass, I assume it's extremely related to the fact people were treating him as utter shit towards the end of the season and bringing his luck up all the time, as if he weren't a good player to start with.

we had mid-season all-stars based on record. this is what the managers think. i don't exactly see what is the problem. it's not like no one recognizes that TC went 10-1 this season, i certainly think that's one hell of an accomplishment. he made all spl second team, so clearly people thought that he was good enough for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)