OU A Good Blueprint For Non-Stall Team?

I am new to pokemon min/max'ing, and new to smogon, but I've been a hardcore a min/max'er through-and-through and take the sport to hyperbolic extremes at times. Started GSC out of childhood nostalgia, but got hooked by the depth of its chess-match style meta-game—and now here I am. Over the last couple weeks I've spent more hours on this site than I care to admit soaking in information on this game's meta game—and I've noticed an oddly absent element: the mythological existence of offensive teams.

And I don't mean teams that mix the stall meta-game with a handful of versatile powerhouses either; but full-fledged stall-shattering aggressively offensive teams.

They exist, and epic tales have been told about them, but details are always scarce at best. Dozens of stall-team blueprints—exact team comps that represent such a team's benchmark—but where are the stallbreaker blueprints? The irony is that these teams are often instructed to ensure cooperation rather than coverage without any examples of how a 6-member team can effectively cooperate with each of its members.

I don't post this to complain or nitpick, as I'm a firm believer that there is likely a reason—or many reasons—and that it is more likely due to some variable I hadn't yet accounted for than it is a fault on anyone else. I just don't know what this variable is yet.

Hmm the first things that spring to mind are bp and explosion based teams. There are other forms of offense, but they're probably the most aggressive and threatening teams.

For bp, you might like to check out this team. It's probably the standard full bp team, although if you don't want to go full bp you can always take bits and pieces of the team, such as JoltWak or w/e.

As for explosion based teams, Borat made a really famous team a while back that's worth checking out. It tends to be Lax + Zap + exploders + extra lategame threat.
Lax and Zap are obviously fairly big threats and also make great glue pokemon (Lax can also boom if you want it to). Exploders are obvious, but there's also a lot of room to cover a range of different needs, such as checks for various threats, status, Spikes, etc. The extra lategame threat gives you another means of capitalising on holes opened by the exploders. On Borat's team this is Vaporeon, but it can really be anything with sweeping potential

explosion. anything that can take advantage of spikes as well (nidoking, snorlax, tyranitar, etc). overall you just need to make sure you have multiple paths to victory, so don't completely rely on ttar always trapping missy, explosion hitting its target 100% of the time, spikes always being down, or snorlax being able to just win.

full bp exists, but it's not viable against people who know what they're doing. growth passing with espeon or vaporeon can be pretty scary though.

there are more good offensive teams than good defensive teams in gsc, quantitatively speaking. i think a lot of people feel like putting on a phazer or electric resist makes the entire team "defensive", but it's sort of necessary to not get steamrolled. jorgen wrote this, which is a pretty decent summary of the state of teambuilding in the current metagame. It's an easier and shorter read than borat's guides; reading both is good if you have the time though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)