Other A Guide to Lures in ORAS OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to retort with a wall of calcs, then I noticed that Technician wasn't applied for some reason.

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 252-299 (58.3 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 504-595 (116.6 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 188-224 (43.5 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 378-446 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 177-211 (48.6 - 57.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 354-416 (97.2 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 133-157 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 265-312 (72.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 307-361 (95 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed after Stealth Rock)

It also REALLY helps with Chesnaught. You can KO even if Jolly, but it's a stupidly small chance.

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 322-380 (84.7 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (37.5% after Stealth Rock)

Watch out for Offensive Mega Venu, since it might have HP Fire and will outspeed if you don't have Jolly.
Yh chesnaught is another bonus also, I knew that I forgot something. I haven't seen too many fast venus, but it helps to be cautious I guess.

Well the set that was posted was Life Orb, so that means scizor could potentially beat keldeo on the switch with aerial ace and then bullet punch. Decent lure :]

Well the set that was posted was Life Orb, so that means scizor could potentially beat keldeo on the switch with aerial ace and then bullet punch. Decent lure :]
I'm sleepy, okay? Cut me some slack :P
No BP needed btw:
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 307-361 (95 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Hey
MoB Sucks (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Bug]

This keldeo, item doesn't matter too much, lures Celebi. Celebi is normally is hard to wear down on teams lacking, say heatran, thanks to natural cure letting it ignore scald burns and even then it can run Earth power (in regards to heatran). mostly fits on HO as a quick way to take out celebi if your team has trouble with it. Celebi almost never expects this and is often instantly obliterated. Don't be too hasty tho, as they might not go directly into celebi and you'll reveal your set. All in All a good lure, especially when carrying pokemon that dislike celebi. Also lets Keldeo demolish Celebi/tran cores. This set lets you take out one of the prime switch ins for Keldeo, if not the best around, and you can fire off scalds for the rest of the match burning everything. Works great with BD azumarill. Lati@ appreciates this as well.

TL;DR great lure comes at almost 0 cost of keldeo's effectiveness/usual role, helps BD azu, Lati, thundy, rotom w and keldeo itself.
Edit: somebody already posted this derp. When i checked the thread all i saw was hp flying i guess i skimmed over it. Delete this plz. I was never here...

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey
MoB Sucks (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Bug]

This keldeo, item doesn't matter too much, lures Celebi. Celebi is normally is hard to wear down on teams lacking, say heatran, thanks to natural cure letting it ignore scald burns and even then it can run Earth power (in regards to heatran). mostly fits on HO as a quick way to take out celebi if your team has trouble with it. Celebi almost never expects this and is often instantly obliterated. Don't be too hasty tho, as they might not go directly into celebi and you'll reveal your set. All in All a good lure, especially when carrying pokemon that dislike celebi. Also lets Keldeo demolish Celebi/tran cores. This set lets you take out one of the prime switch ins for Keldeo, if not the best around, and you can fire off scalds for the rest of the match burning everything. Works great with BD azumarill. Lati@ appreciates this as well.

TL;DR great lure comes at almost 0 cost of keldeo's effectiveness/usual role, helps BD azu, Lati, thundy, rotom w and keldeo itself.
Sorry, this was posted already on page 1.

edit: firehusky there was no reason to post that .-.

Last edited:

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Few people requested that I post this so may as well zz. (I'm just gonna copy/paste what I posted in the 'creative-and-underrated-sets-oras-edition-no-shitty-gimmicks')

Jirachi @ Apicot Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 128 HP / 208 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn

Apicot Berry is Ground type for Natural Gift.
Rachi lures that god otherwise referred to as Heatran, which is a very annoying mon to face. I made this set while using a Mega Houndoom team as that benefits pretty nicely from a dead heatran (also helps out things like Lati and a bunch of other mons.) iron head + twave, the lordly combo. fairly self explanatory, STAB + hax :]]. U-Turn just as a momentum move, could replace with filler if needed.

The evs. 172 speed outspeeds max speed timidtran by 1 point (watch out for scarftran tho.) 208 evs w/ Adamant nature is for the high ohko chance vs bulky tran (chances are it's gonna be slightly whittled anyway)

208+ Atk Apicot Berry Jirachi Natural Gift (100 BP Ground) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 368-436 (95.3 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
208+ Atk Apicot Berry Jirachi Natural Gift (100 BP Ground) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 368-436 (113.9 - 134.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also ohkos Magnezone and gets nice damage off vs Bisharp.

Rest of the evs are just piled into HP for general bulk. The aim of this set is to lure out Heatran and bop it with an Apicot Berry Natural Gift, helping out your team in general, whether its to help something sweep or just to stop hazards, etc. Heatran can be a very annoying mon.

------
This part is just a thought, actual lure is above. ^

I've also been experimenting with Drain Punch (80 evs w/ adamant nature) because things like Bisharp usually come in on this to Pursuit it. 108 speed outspeeds Jolly Bish and has a v high ohko chance. Also leaves a lot of evs left to plug into bulk. Item recommended is Leftovers or maybe Colbur Berry (dark resisting) to be able to take pursuits better and just incase it goes for knock off. Would also help out vs things like TTar crunch and dark types in general.

80+ Atk Jirachi Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 260-308 (95.5 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

With metagross a dominant threat in the metagame and arguably ban worthy (it totally is imo) clefable is unfortunately smushed underfoot by this pokemon. But no more! since people often assume unaware clef (they might fear flamethrower on cm magic guard) doesn't run flamethrower, they will freely switch metagross in to punish one of it's limited switch ins, and as thus, get twaved, crippling their metagross. not sure if this qualifys as a lure as it doesn't take out metagross, but crippling a pokemon like this can make a large diference in the outcome of the match.

Last edited:

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

With metagross a dominant threat in the metagame and arguably ban worthy (it totally is imo) clefable is unfortunately smushed underfoot by this pokemon. But no more! since people often assume unaware clef (they might fear flamethrower on cm magic guard) doesn't run flamethrower, they will freely switch metagross in to punish one of it's limited switch ins, and as thus, get twaved, crippling their metagross. not sure if this qualifys as a lure as it doesn't take out metagross, but crippling a pokemon like this can make a large diference in the outcome of the match.
Unaware Clef can't have Softboiled ;___;

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 120 HP / 208 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Sand Lure Dragonite was a set posted in the Next Best Thing Topic (EVs are changed a bit) This set lures in pokemon sand offense has problems with (Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, Gliscor) and kill them with a Fire Blast / Ice Beam, making it easier for Excadrill to sweep. Leftovers is to compensate the lost of multiscale because of sandstorm damage, so you will stay at 100% after taking sandstorm damage. With 180 Spe Timid you outspeed up to 112 Spe Mew (Jolly Bisharp, Jolly Breloom, Adamant Mamoswine, Most Gliscors) 208 SpA let you kill 252 HP Landorus-T with Ice Beam

208 SpA Dragonite Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 384-452 (100.5 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
208 SpA Dragonite Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 292-344 (82.9 - 97.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
208 SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Ferrothorn: 272-320 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
208 SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 258-304 (77.2 - 91%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Sand Lure Dragonite was a set posted in the Next Best Thing Topic (EVs are changed a bit) This set lures in pokemon sand offense has problems with (Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, Gliscor) and kill them with a Fire Blast / Ice Beam, making it easier for Excadrill to sweep. Leftovers is to compensate the lost of multiscale because of sandstorm damage, so you will stay at 100% after taking sandstorm damage. With 180 Spe Timid you outspeed up to 112 Spe Mew (Jolly Bisharp, Jolly Breloom, Adamant Mamoswine, Most Gliscors) 208 SpA let you kill 252 HP Landorus-T with Ice Beam

208 SpA Dragonite Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 384-452 (100.5 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
208 SpA Dragonite Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 292-344 (82.9 - 97.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
208 SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Ferrothorn: 272-320 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
208 SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 258-304 (77.2 - 91%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Somewhat iffy on this one, as Dragonite has better things to do than be fully special, as it has enough physical coverage moves.

Anyways, OP is updated - great job everyone n-n

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

The way I'm reading this, it sounds like you want to use Dragonite on a Sand team.
Even with Leftovers and Roost, Dragonite on a Sand team is a terrible idea, as it has to compensate constantly for Multiscale being broken.

But if you must use Dragonite as lure for those Pokemon, try this:

Dragonite @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Fire Punch OHKOs Ferrothorn, and Ice Punch OHKOs 99.9% of Gliscor (worse case scenario 252 HP / 252+ Def OHKOs 75% of the time) and 2HKO Defensive Landorus.

Bisharp @ LifeOrb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Standard pursuit trapping bisharp right? Nope instead of pursuit the twist with this set is Low kick. Low kick hits many relevant threats bisharp's stab moves can't handle including but not limited to: lucario,cobalion,ferrothorn,heatran,magnezone,other bisharps and most importantly gyarados-mega. Without low kick bisharp is set up bait to it but with low kick you stop it bar the occasional earthquake mega gyarados from completely sweeping you. Plus hitting ferrothorn after knock off is also pretty cool

Would Superpower Scizor still be a lure? I know it't pretty standard right now, but, wouldn't it be considered a "classic" of "infamous" lure? I mean, people are posting "infamous" lures from the XY meta, when Superpower Scizor WAS still a lure.

Would Superpower Scizor still be a lure? I know it't pretty standard right now, but, wouldn't it be considered a "classic" of "infamous" lure? I mean, people are posting "infamous" lures from the XY meta, when Superpower Scizor WAS still a lure.
Superpower isn't really a lure move on zor, as every single offensive scizor runs it, so it isn't "luring" anything, just bopping steels and fire types and stuff. (the definition of a lure is an uncommon move that aims to lure something in for other team mates)

Heatran
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 140 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Lures Landorus-T.
Landorus-T's U-turn + Earthquake never has a chance to knock out while Hidden power ice is a guranteed knock out.
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 306-360 (79.4 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Heatran: 18-21 (4.6 - 5.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever
140+ SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 320-380 (100.3 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Generally, a lure sacrifices coverage for the goal of taking out or crippling a specific check or counter. Natural Gift SD Talonflame, for example, forges Roost for Natural Gift and Sharp Beak for a specific type berry, all in an effort to lure in Heatran / Rotom / Rock types. What does offensive Mega Scizor lose by running Superpower? Nothing really. I know I personally used the word imfamous in my set, but that was mostly because I don't think my set even got an analysis.

Well, I had the impression that the standard coverage move on Zapdos was Heat Wave, and since its pretty much given that Zapdos runs Thunderbolt, Roost and Defog, it could be a lure in that sense. Thanks for clearing this misconception on my part.
I think Heat Wave is the more common one; but iirc Heat Wave is slashed with HP Ice on the main set and it depends on your team. Lure moves are basically ones that wouldn't even be considered for a standard set.

I think Heat Wave is the more common one; but iirc Heat Wave is slashed with HP Ice on the main set and it depends on your team. Lure moves are basically ones that wouldn't even be considered for a standard set.
Hit me up with that Grass Knot Thundurus. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)