Let's Play! A journey through the insanity that is Pokemon Snakewood (Completed)

Hello I’m here for part 41. I’ve got this game completely finished so I just need to get these parts out. Let’s go.

ShadyC: Yeah, this game is kind of stupid. I think the original Dark Rising might have a more cohesive story then this game. And don’t worry, there shall be puzzles.

In the last part I made my way through the abandoned mines. Today I’ll be heading to Sootopolis and maybe facing Senex.

Well that’s a lot of text. Explains how he got there last time.

You need an empty space. I needed to go back through this cave again lmao.

Yeah, Toxicroak is in this game. No Croagunk however. It comes at a decent level, so it would be a decent option for some teams. TM 31 is Ice Punch and not Brick Break for some reason, so it doesnt get much in terms of Fighting STAB.

Before going into endgame I need to do some training.

I do end up using Rare Candies on the egg and Parasect. Mostly on the egg. Training Hyperegg is REALLY annoying in the later parts of the game. It ends up being pretty pointless however . . .

because I decided to evolve it into Raikou. For those who don’t remember, Hyper egg has 5 evolutions. The three dogs/cats/beats, Celebi, and a buffed Unown. I decided on Raikou because an electric type seemed to be helpful. Gives me a huge weakness to Ground unfortunately.

Get ready to see a bajillion characters in this next scene.

What is this, the Star Wars sequel trilogy? wait this was probably in 2011 never mind

Oh yeah I remember you, you tried to kill me. Changed your mind, huh.

He’s literally a Rock Smash rock. I’m not even joking.

The homie.

Uh. . . . yeah.

You know it.

Oh.

Nice breaking of the wall of the fourth variety.

It’s endgame time bois. Also, why is Meteor a bike? lol

Here’s where we were before. Now we’re here for realsies.

They block me from moving lol.

Let’s go! But not in this part. The next part will be up Friday. Have a nice day.

Littleroot & Route 101
Broken Hearts (Current count: 10)
Petalburg Gym
Mush Mask
(Trade Sidequest still ongoing)
Strength Boulder outside Meteor Falls
Strength boulder in SS Cangrejo
Strength boulder in Frigid Way
Strength boulder in Meteor Falls
Strenght boulder in Abandoned Mines
Rock Smash rocks:
Route 116
Route 114 (I forgot about this lmao)
Rusturf Tunnel
Route 108
Abandoned Ship
Dive spot in Dewford
Kanto Water Supply - Slateport Museum

Rock on route 103 east side
Chikorita in Isle of Calm
Slope in Solar Caverns
(This wasn't on the to do list somehow, but it's done now)
Fossil Maniac puzzle on Route 114. (I may not do this)
Ladder in Madio cave

Hello, I’m here for part 42. Necropolis time. Let’s go.

Edit: Parts 42 lol. I meant part 42.

HERE WE ARE BOIS. LET’S GO IT’S ENDGAME BAYBEE.

haha funy reference

lol

Here we are in the first puzzle. It’s basically just a ledge puzzle. Not too bad, but it can be very confusing. I kind of like it.

You can find high leveled Graveill here.

AND MOULDER TOO. SHAME IT’S IN THE LAST AREA OF THE GAME.

It’s Yuk backwards. I’m 125 IQ

There they are my dudes.

You can also find Graveills evo here.

In order to get to the Cryofrozen people, you need to talk to this Rhydon.

I then jump down the hole next to me.

NOOOO

Bro, what? They’re so lame lol. I’ve got a confession to make. If you guys remember part 34, I went to the Lilycove Museum and uh, stuff happened. I’m led to believe that all of that was supposed to be AFTER this portion of the game. Cutlerine must not have put a proper flag into the game. lol

Great, now I need to find him later.

Guess we’re just saying fuck wally huh?

Let’s end this boys.

Whatever you say, partner.

A new Fakemon! Shinigami is a Psychic/Fighting type Pokemon with the following stats: 78/135/75/75/125/90 and Guts and Vital Spirit as it’s abilities. It’s Gallade, but with 10 more in every stat. It also only learns 5 moves. Earthquake, Psychic, Shadow Swipe, Cross Chop and Trash. I can’t get it, but it’s really strong.

More Eye-Eyes. That’s all these heads ever have.

Toy Story? Nope Spongebob?

BRUH WTF IS THAT!? IT’S GROSS! Stitcher is a Dragon/Psychic type Pokemon with with the following stats: 80/90/90/130/130/110 and Levitate as it’s ability. It’s basically Latios and Latias combined. It’s really strong. And it’s moveset is pretty wild. It learns 4 moves: Dragon Claw, Psychic, Thunderbolt, and Ice beam. That’s stacked lmao.

Ain't nothing to Snek however.

The Nero ball sounds really awesome, but as far as I can tell, it’s just a Safari Ball. NO idea why they changed it.

More Eye-Eyes.

Antispiral is just a Zangol reskin.

Bro, are you ok? Do you even care about this game bro? What am I saying, you haven’t cared since Meteor Falls.

Rip all those dudes.

Today's video is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends, one of the biggest mobile role-playing games of 2019 and it's totally free! Currently almost 10 million users have joined Raid over the last six months, and it's one of the most impressive games in its class with detailed models, environments and smooth 60 frames per second animations! All the champions in the game can be customized with unique gear that changes your strategic buffs and abilities! The dungeon bosses have some ridiculous skills of their own and figuring out the perfect party and strategy to overtake them's a lot of fun! Currently with over 300,000 reviews, Raid has almost a perfect score on the Play Store! The community is growing fast and the highly anticipated new faction wars feature is now live, you might even find my squad out there in the arena! It's easier to start now than ever with rates program for new players you get a new daily login reward for the first 90 days that you play in the game! So what are you waiting for? Go to the video description, click on the special links and you'll get 50,000 silver and a free epic champion as part of the new player program to start your journey! Good luck and I'll see you there!

And that will do it for this part. Part 43 should be up later today. Have a nice day.

Littleroot & Route 101
Petalburg Gym
Mush Mask
Rock Smash rocks:
Route 116
Rusturf Tunnel
Route 108
Abandoned Ship
Dive spot in Dewford

Slope in Solar Caverns
Ladder in Madio cave

Last edited:
Hello, I’m here for Part 43. This is Part 2 of the Necropolis arc. Let’s go.

jordanthejq12: Yeah! What about the Homie Wally? #Justiceforwally #Wraithisoverparty smh. I know it's probably a joke, but it's still a dick move.

King Feraligatr: Yeah, I'll mention this in a later part, but there's an ama on reddit that the creator is in (or we can assume) that kinda shows how he feels about this game. I really don't mind this hack though if I'm being honest. It's shit, but there's something enjoyable about it. It's weird. But then again maybe I have shit taste lmao.

Here we are at the next puzzle. It’s a maze but with a twist.

Part of the maze is invisible. I’m gonna keep it 99 round it up. This is without a shadow of a doubt, the WORST puzzle in the entire fucking game. You basically just wander around for 30 minutes plus having no idea where to go.

I’VE BEEN HERE FOR LIKE AN HOUR. I HATE THIS STUPID PU-

oh. THAT’S A SHINY ZOMBIE GRIMER. I WAS HERE SO LONG I FOUND A SHINY GRIMER WTF. THIS PUZZLE IS STUPID.

I can’t lie to you guys. I used wale through walls. I used it to see where I was supposed to go, and of course, I MISSED THE ONE FUCKING SPOT YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO GO TO. The Cutlerine and this puzzle can go to hell.

Here’s a map with the way you’re supposed to go. Doesn’t look too bad, but it doesn’t show all of the invisible paths. In one of the earlier screenshots, 90% of the screen is the invisible path. I’ve complained about a lot of things, but this has got to be my least favorite room in the entire game. Ok, the Inquisition boardroom MIGHT be worse than this. Maybe.

This is the spot I couldn’t find. I could have sworn I fucking pressed down over here at one point. But I think I’ve said enough about this bullshit.

Great, the S.S. Cangrejo? sigh.

Satan?

tf

Here’s the shiny Grimer. I did catch it. The name is kinda based on my reaction, like, BROOOOOOOO!

HOLY SHIT IT HAD MEMENTO. I am SO lucky.

Let’s see what it’s evolution looks like. Maybe Yuck won’t look as weird.

Sun and Moon weren’t released until years after this game, so it’s most likely a coincidence that this looks like Alolan Muk. I would use it, but there are only like, 5 parts max left. And I don’t feel like grinding.

I’ll give you five seconds to guess what they’re about to sing.

Yep, it’s this classic.

ok

FUUU-

Oh? In the previous room, you can find Ampharos. I’ll be honest, I got a little lost here, I thought I got my game soflocked.

I thought that because you had to click on one of these cans multiple times. So basically Cut (that’s my and probably other people’s nickname for him) took Surge’s gym puzzle and made it worse. Great.

ok

Let’s go! I guess.

You can only talk to one of them, and I don’t think the autograph even goes into your bag. Stupid.

Shit another puzzle. Is it going to be dumb, or nah? Let’s find out.

Oh no. It’s the Mechadoll 2.0. It also has a kinda funny response if you’re wrong.

That’ll be easy for an EPIC gamer such as myself. (I’ll put the correct answer to every question.)

No

Yes

No

No

Round 2

Yes

No

No

No

Yes

No

yes

If you get any questions wrong, you’re sent to the original room and have to answer the first quiz again. Also applies to the next quizzes. Because of course there's more than two.

Easy?

No

yes

Yes

No

Yes

No, even though that sounds like it would be cool to be yes.

Yes

Yes

No

Last Question quiz bois. This one has really weird responses if you get the answers wrong. I’ll put them in a spoiler tag after the questions.

No

Yes

No

No

Yes

Yes

(Monkfish are capable of riding a bicycle?)

No

You cant they are monkefish. From Google Translate lol.

Yes.

No

No

fuck off

Let’s get the fuck out of here.

I don’t remember how, but you can accidentally warp back to Petalburg. Lmao this game is stupid.

Time for the final pass.

There’s actually an invisible path you can go through to avoid all these trainers. It’s fine, there’s healing kits around.

After the third time one of the jump puzzles, I make it to the end.

We’re here. Senex, I’m coming for you!

In the next part. Have a nice day.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Out of all the problems for the "game" to have, I wouldn't have guessed that Grimer to be one of them. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of reaction to one of those and I never thought I'd say this about that, but ouch... I'd be tempted to rage quit.

I really don't mind this hack though if I'm being honest. It's shit, but there's something enjoyable about it. It's weird. But then again maybe I have shit taste lmao.
Before this part I think I could've seen this "game" being so bad it's good or at least so bad it's almost good. After this part, it looks like nothing but pain. How are you able to stand it after this part? Are the parts that feel like jagged metal tearing at my brain (AKA all of them) like fine wine to you? I'm going back and like every part I haven't liked just because you deserve something for putting yourself through this.

Hello, I’m here for part 44. No stalling let’s go.

かたわれ時: Yeah, but I would rather this game be good honestly. At least it has wackiness going for it.

CTNC: I was just excited for a shiny. Also, speed up is a thing. This game would be really crappy without it. Also the fakemon make the game fun. I don’t think I would play this piece of crap without them. So basically, I’m saying that the team I’m using makes it fun. I’ve started a few other saves of this game, and it’s just not as fun unless you’re using Fakemon. I’m also lucky that the Isle of Calm and Necropolis are the only complete dogshit areas. The rest is ok. If every area was as bull as those two areas I don’t think I’d like this game. (Side note I was really confused when I saw 41 notifications at once lol)

Xaviere: I can’t lie, I COMPLETELY forgot that Cats was even a thing lmao. 2020 has been a crazy year.

Time for the final confrontation. I’m gonna keep it 100. The game gets REALLY weird in this one. I don’t think yo guys are mentally prepared for how this ends lol.

Let’s do this!

Faceleech is easy as hell at this point. Only ever was difficult in the first Gleis fight.

Turmur is more difficult. No weaknesses plus high stats makes it hard to take down.

Shaderu isn’t as difficult. Mostly because I have a Metagross.

Neither is Luca Zamon.

Why does the final boss only have 4 mons?

I’m not gonna say anything for a while. Just observe.

There are no words I can use to describe what just happened. Stupid, retarded, dumb, and ridiculous would be a good start. It makes complete sense for this stupid game. I didn’t get half or almost any of those references, so I had no idea what was happening.

We’re back here now. It’s over. The bad guy is beaten. We can all go home. Also, how the f did Asimov survive? Oh who cares.

In the next part, we’ll head to gym Island. It will be post-postgame postgame lol. The next part will be up uh, Wednesday or something idk. This week. This week. Have a nice day.

Littleroot & Route 101
Petalburg Gym
Mush Mask
Rock Smash rocks:
Route 116
Rusturf Tunnel
Route 108
Abandoned Ship
Dive spot in Dewford

Slope in Solar Caverns
Ladder in Madio cave
I didn't even put this is part 43 lol.

[//HIDE]

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I have a few questions... and by a few, I mean all of the questions. I'll start asking if I can any into words.

Edit: Nope, still can't put anything into words... By the way, should I say sorry about flooding your notifications or you're welcome for all the likes? :P

Edit at below: Yep.

Last edited:
Hello, I’m here for part 45. Let’s get this crap over with.

King Feraligatr: Lmao. RIP Snakewood.

CTNC: Yeah, this game gives many questions.

khlaylav: Congrats on putting everyone's thoughts into words. lol.

jordanthejq12: Yeah, I wasn't joking about that part lmao. I know I sometimes overhype stuff or whatever. But not this time lol.

TMan87: So they tried to make a reference and got it wrong? lmao.

lucariomaster2: I like how 90% of the replies were people dumbfounded by this game, or more specifically this part lol.

In the last part, well you all know what happened. Stupid stuff. That’s what. Now all that’s left is “Postgame”. Even though postgame is usually after the Pokemon League.

So the place I need to go is Gym Island. The game gives you 0 hints on how to get there. And there’s something really stupiud about it as well.

Remember this guy? You probably don’t because of all the Hiatuses. This is Roclobster. It’s a legendary Fakemon you can catch under a dive location in Dewford.

It holds a special item.

You take the disc to this rock (which has been on the list forever) and get gym tickets. But where do you take the tickets?

To this random lady on Route 119.

And now we’re on Gym Island. You can do that before you beat the Elite 4 btw. Also, can I say how utterly stupid that is lmao.

The jerks couldn’t wait? Smh. But hey! WE GOT STRENGTH BOIS. LET’S GO! Gym time.

Deoxys isn’t in this game. Checkmate,

ASIMOV HAS A GYM?!?!?!

Bro? Level 85? Wtf lmao.

lol

First gym I’m doing is this guy.

He really wasn’t that difficult. He was an interesting boss however. Having more than 6 Pokemon.

On to the next Gym.

JaCkScEpTiCyE?

This guy was super easy lol.

You can’t fight Lord Umbone. At least not here. You can encounter him somewhere else. So let’s fight him there.

He wasn’t too difficult. Electric and Grass type destroys him.

Next gym.

Well, I know that reference at least. Probably one of the only times I’ve gotten one.

Where the hell am I lol.

NO

She was also pretty easy. None of these gyms were. I’m not even that overleveled.

But that will do it for this part. Next time, sigh, it will be Asimov. Have a nice day.

Does anyone even read this lol.

Hello. I’m here for part 46. Almost done with this game. Today's part will be finishing most of the stuff left in this game.

Xaviere: CRUN. LOL that was supposed to say CRUNCH lol. I missed that. If that’s the reason then that’s really stupid. But then again, you can come here before you even do the Elite Four.

Jordanthejq12: Maybe, I did get all of the badges when I got Flannery’s badge in the Ship. Would have made A LOT more sense to give me that badge on Gym Island. Because NOW I have Strength. Oh well, this game’s pretty stupid anyways.

In the last part I made it to Gym Island, where all my jerk friends had a party for me. They all left. In today’s part, we’ll be doing Asimov’s gym.

Oh lord Asimov what is this gym.

No. That’s not who I think it is.

Bro, what? Why are you here. The last thing I want to think about is this dude. Part 44 was stupid.

Now we can fight Senex himself. Most of you noticed something didn’t you.

You can capture Senex. Yep, you can capture a human in this game. Guess Pokemon Snakewood supports slavery. (I’m joking lol) But Senex is a Dark/Fighting type Pokemon Fakemon with the following stats: 140/140/105/120/90/90 and Trace as his ability. Because of his level and power, I have some difficulty catching him. I bring out my secret weapon.

Shaderu. Senex does have Faint Attack, but I have 140 Sp. Defense so it doesn’t do too much.

YAY! WE CAPTURED AN OLD MAN! THAT SOUNDS TERRIBLE OUT OF CONTEXT.

HOW?!?! Jeez that was a long day, you need to sleep bro.

But now I’m done with Gym Island. Let’s finish that list.

First up is the Mush Mask quest from nearly the beginning of the game.

Now that I have all the items. . .

. . . I come here. Remember this guy? You probably don’t. This is the cave where the rainy cave is on route 120.

It’s Turmur! This is the last Fakemon that Senex had that I had left to capture.

I catch it. Turmur is decent, but I won’t use it for this LP.

Hitchhikers am I right.

If you breed Turmur and a Ditto, you get Faceleech. All the way back in an earlier part, there was a lady in Slateport who wanted a Faceleech for a Munchlax.

I do that, and then train the Munclax into a Snorlax. Snorlax has an evolution in this game. What is that evolution?

It’s whatever the heck this thing is. Skylax, not the evolution I was expecting. Gorelax would have been more interesting. It would have been pretty awful for Snorlax morally, but oh well.

Skylax is a Normal/Flying Fakemon with the following stats: 170/110/70/70/110/145 and Immunity and Bulletproof as it’s abilities. It can also learn Aeroblast for some reason. I don’t get this one. I gains a small boost in every stat, then it gets 115 points into speed. This thing is a beast. Can’t use it because this is literally the end of the game. Oh well.

Look at that difference in speed. Damn.

And here’s the stats a Faceleech can have at level 5. This only solidifies that Faceleech is op when the power level is lower. It also can’t learn Sludge Bomb. Only Poison Fang. This thing sucks lmao.

Next up is the Regi sidequest. But before that I have to get Dig.

This is where Dig is. It’s in the same building, but you have to go through a really annoying maze. I completely forgot I could use Flash here lol. I get Dig, get a Relicanth (yes that’s in this game) and a Wailord and unlock the caves.

(This was done much earlier in the game so that’s why the levels are weird)

Instead of finding the Regis, you can find the gen 3 starters. I have no idea why they changed that, but what do I know. I catch them all. Mudkip and Torchic are unchanged, but Treeko has something new to it.

Grovyle and Sceptile are now Grass/Poison. Which is, why? WHY POISON? THERE ARE TOO MANY GRASS/POISON TYPES. Grass/Dragon like it’s mega would have been better. I don’t think it even learns any poison moves. Stupid.

Next is Strength.

Bro that level lol. Wtf is a Furi?

Oh. That’s a Furi. Furi Q is a Grass type Fakemon with the following stats: 90/120/100/90/90/90 and Chlorophyll as it’s ability. I have a complaint with this thing. Why is it’s Sp. Attack lower? Isn’t it supposed to be a Sun Sweeper or something? I don’t know. Kind of silly.

Next Furi. Worth noting there was no guardian. Guess the creator forgot about that lol. Furi X is a Water type fakemon with the following stats: 80/200/100/50/100/50 and Water Absorb as it’s ability. Same thing with Q, why is it’s Sp. Attack bad? It gets Swords Dance, but the Water typing does nothing for it.

Final Furi. Furi Z is a Fire type Fakemon with the following stats: 190/1/197/1/190/1 and Flash Fire as it’s ability. This thing is a TANK. Does no damage outside of Seismic Toss and Will-o-wisp, but that’s ok. It’s honestly the only good Furi in my opinion. The other two are ok.

I head back to the Abandoned Mines where there was a Strength boulder.

And all I get is Secret Power. LMAO. Ok.

In Meteor Falls there’s a couple of low leveled trainers. If Calm Mind wasn’t here, I would’ve assumed this area was untouched. Really uninteresting.

Now that I’ve rescued the Trick Master, I can access the rest of Route 101. (Yes that’s what the trigger was lol)

Wild Pokemon are the same level as before. Would have been cool to see absurdly high leveled mons.

Nothing in the new Trick Master house works yet. Also weird that this guy is even in this game.

He gives me this. A reskinned Radioorange. Chockwork’s stats are: 97/115/115/75/50/35 and it has Pressure and Intimidate as it’s abilities. This thing once again is useless. It comes at level 1 at the end of the game. Why would you even use it?

Honestly, why are there so many Pokemon/Fakemon obtainable at such an unusable point in the game? Turmur comes a little too late, this thing comes too late, the Furis are too late, Senex is too late, and Munchlax is too late. You COULD use a few of those in Necropolis, but even then it’s like, oh wow I can use them in one/two areas. And they’re underleveled. Shaderu is sort of in the same boat, but at least it’s at level 85, so it doesn’t need any grinding. Furi Z at least has high bulk. But to use the Furis, you need to do some sequence breaking in order to access Gym Island.

There’s one last thing before this part ends I want to show.

The creator blocked this area.

However, with the same uh, “superpower” I can go up the ladder. And it does go somewhere surprisingly.

Oh boy, what’s it gonna be.

It’s an area with a bunch of textures. You can’t interact with anything here. I’m surprisingly curious what this was going to be. I’ll leave it for you guys to speculate.

But that will do it for this part. The next part will be the last part, and my review of this game. There is one final thing left for me to do in this game. Unless I forgot something. Have a nice day.

Littleroot & Route 101
Petalburg Gym
Mush Mask (Trade Sidequest still ongoing)
Rock Smash rocks:
Route 116
Rusturf Tunnel
Route 108
Abandoned Ship
Dive spot in Dewford
Slope in Solar Caverns
Ladder in Madio cave

Since it is going to end, I think I could share this one link. Someone else who had played this uh,... unique ROMHack.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=358350

I noticed, how dare they, during the Telefang arc, they ****ted on the Pokémon concept as "glorious cockfighting" and "war machines".

As I read more though, it was found that Cutlerine indeed made this as angsty teen.
That link has a further link to Reddit thread of their AMA thread.

I think I'd never be able to even try this, so thanks for anyone who got through this game and lived to tell it....

Since it is going to end, I think I could share this one link. Someone else who had played this uh,... unique ROMHack.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=358350

I noticed, how dare they, during the Telefang arc, they ****ted on the Pokémon concept as "glorious cockfighting" and "war machines".

As I read more though, it was found that Cutlerine indeed made this as angsty teen.
That link has a further link to Reddit thread of their AMA thread.

I think I'd never be able to even try this, so thanks for anyone who got through this game and lived to tell it....
I saw the AMA as well. I planned on linking it in my review. I'll link it right here. I would suggest anyone interested in this game give it a read. It gives a lot of insight into the creators mindset.

(sorry if anyone thought this was the next part lol)

Hello. I’m here for the final part of Pokemon Snakewood. Part 47. Let’s finish this.

KingFeraligtr: Uh, I guess. But, how can you do any more? You already killed the game lol. Just don’t break any rules. You know, the usual.

In the last part, I completed the Checklist. Today will be the final thing. (Unless I forgot something)

After beating or capturing the Legendary on Mt. Doom, you’re challenged by this guy.

It’s this dude. Much like Senex in the last part, I fight a human. Kamina is a Fighting Type with the following stats: 90/170/93/100/89/100, Intimidate as his ability, and Cross Chop, Earthquake, Ice Punch and Thunderpunch as his moveset. And he’s lv 100 when you’re most likely only around level 60. Yeah this is a really stupid boss fight. It’s only here for the reference.

I brought Shaderu and easily beat him. Thunderpunch and Ice Punch do nothing lol.

And that’s it. Kamina disappears after this. I feel sorry for people who get swept by this guy. That’s it. That’s all that’s left. That will be all for Pokemon Snakewood. I can’t lie, I’m kind of sad in a way. We set out on this journey over a year ago. I’ve learned quite a lot about the best way to upload these. I hope you all enjoyed this journey. Hiatuses and all. Have a nice day. Smoughon Account, out.

Nothing

Alright, I guess I should give my true honest feels about this game. I’ll summarize it here: I like this game. Yes, despite all the crap I give this game, I do in fact like it. However, despite that I DO NOT think this is a very well put together game. It’s filled with quite a few bugs, weird textures and tiling. The story is an absolute mess and really has no sense of direction. I recently read a Reddit AMA that was supposedly from the creator himself. It clarified a few things. His explanation for the Four Horsemen (remember them?) just disappearing half way through the game was that he didn’t want the game to end there. But, it didn’t have to? He could have just done some anime bullshit and make a ridiculous reason for the Horsemen to come out on top. You only battle Alicia/War a few times and Pestilence once. Outside of that and a few other appearances, the Horsemen are basically not important at all in the grand scheme of things. Instead of those guys, we get some old guy with nonsensical powers. The way the main player defeats the villain, while kind of funny, is really stupid. Instead of the power of friendship, it’s the power of references! Wooooo!. Another thing on the same page is the characters. There are tons of characters in this game. Some of them are interesting - like Gleis - while others are frankly really dumb -like the Deadly Seven. Some characters are in the game, disappear for a long time, and then just come back. Or just go all over the place. One example is Chloe. She starts as an enemy, then an ally, then an enemy, and then an ally at the end? Or how about the Deadly Seven who were originally just a group of crazy people, but then randomly they’re in some sort of order of the afro?

And don’t get me started on the level curve. Sometimes it’s alright, but then sometimes it’s flat out stupid. There’s also a fair amount of “surprise bosses”. It’s definitely not worse than Dark Rising’s surprise bosses, but it is similar at times. If the boss isn't out of left field, they sometimes have illegal moves or levels. Haruko for example has a level 25 Luxray, 5 levels too early. One of the biggest issues with the level curve is the really crappy grinding locations. In previous playthroughs, even with speed up, it would take me forever to level up. In this playthrough I just abused a glitch to level up infinitely against Wattson. Once again, it’s not Dark Rising level, but it’s not great either.

One thing this game has going for it are Fakemon. Even if they are pretty stupid looking, there’s a pretty decent amount to use. There are tons of Fakemon in this game between the ones that the AI uses, and the ones you can capture. Unfortunately, 99% of the Zombie Pokemon are unobtainable, which is really lame. The second one isn’t even available until the last area!
Some of the Fakemon are also really overpowered. Kingmadio is really broken for example. The camera that you can catch is also really overpowered. Fortunately this game isn’t as bad as Dark Rising with it’s level curve.

One thing that I can give this game is that they did change up the map pretty significantly. Some areas aren’t changed very much, like Oldale, whilst other areas are drastically different, like Lavaridge. Despite being set in Hoenn, the region feels both similar and different. The game has the same tiling, making the region feel like the same region, but all of the changed areas, new characters, and Fakemon make it a new experience. On the flip side, the order in which you progress through the region is very similar. The order in which you go through the towns is very similar. It changes up the order in a few places, but not very often.

Another thing I want to talk about is the humor in this game. More specifically the fact that this game over relies on references. Almost every other joke is a reference to something. If it isn’t then it’s just, “HAHA FUNNY RANDOM LOL!”. In my honest opinion, I think this game may have been better if it just tried to be serious. Or, if it embraced the stupidity. It tried to at points, but then it still tried telling an actual story. Overall it gives this game a weird vibe. It’s confused. Is it serious? Or is it a joke? To put it more specifically, this game has an identity crisis. This directly affects the story. One minute, everything is serious and the story is interesting, then the next place you go to is a weird island filled with crazy people and stupid puzzles. Speaking of the puzzles in this game. Almost all of them are bad. The most infamous ones would be; the Isle of Calm puzzle, the Inquisition Boardroom, the Invisible Maze in Necropolis, are the ridiculously stupid quiz challenge. A lot of these puzzles are just straight up annoying and unfun.

This game is also pretty glitchy. There are a few tiles that have no collision. The female character’s sprite glitches out A LOT. I believe it may be related to the Potion Crates, but I can’t say for certain. There's' also a softlock the player can be put into. It’s only possible because of a glitch. This glitch I’m referring to is the Wattson glitch. After fighting him, if you go into any menu and move one tile, Wattson respawns and you can fight him infinitely. This is how I trained my team at multiple points. However, doing this before finishing the Isle of Calm causes the grunt at the entrance to block your path. I also believe there is another softlocke in that same area. In order to access the base, you have to enter using a sign by the entrance. There is a staircase that brings you out to after a cut tree. However, the player would have to get rid of their cut mon, and save there game in order to commit the lock, so that one is more comparable to the softlockes that YouTuber Pikasprey does, rather than one that can easily happen.

Another thing, there’s multiple points where the game basically just gives you no indication where to go, or expects the player to go around the region until you find some random location or person. This is purely subjective, some people prefer hand-holding while others don’t. I’m split. I prefer it when games open up old blocked off areas, and you find stuff by exploring old/new areas. But that’s just me. Expecting the player to remember some random chef in Lilycove from who knows how long ago is kind of silly. The game does this too often in my opinion. They also lock the last area behind a held item on a one time encounter Pokemon.

To end on a more positive note, I do think the beginning of this game is actually pretty good, maybe even great. There’s this mystery about the game that makes it interesting. You’re given one task, find Landon and May. You set out with your starter and an egg and go on this quest through a darker toned Hoenn. You don’t know anything. Who’s friend? Who’s foe? You have to discover it yourself. It has a completely different tone compared to the normal Pokemon games. There’s dead people, zombies, zombie Pokemon, a guy literally dies protecting the player. It’s really awesome. Then you get Surf and the game kinda goes downhill. That’s kind of where the problems begin, although there were hints before. I said I would end this on a positive note, so I’ll say the starter choice was pretty cool. Paras, Baltoy, and Koffing are all Pokemon that don’t get used very often, so it’s cool to see something different. It’s a very nice change from the usual Fire/Water/Grass core the main games won’t stray away from. Parasect has actually been buffed pretty significantly, which is weird because the creator said in the AMA that the starters are supposed to be replaced.

One last thing, fuck Qwilfish. Thank you and goodbye.

TLDR; This game has some good parts to it, but it’s held back by the rest of the game being really silly and stupid.

That’s it for my Snakewood playthrough. I do have a few LPs planned. The first I’m still waiting on a response from the mods about. The second one while I wait for that is I’m planning on doing a radomizer nuzlocke. Those are pretty fun. I haven’t decided the game yet, so I’d like some suggestions from you guys. Preferably gens 3-5 since those are the easiest to do. Maybe I’ll do a spin the wheel thing. Feel free to leave suggestions and any opinions about this game below. Once again, for the last time in this thread, have a nice day.

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I've enjoyed watching this thread, since it's inception I think, and I'm sad to see it end even though it means you don't have to deal with any of its nonsense any more. It's hard for me to believe that the first post happened over a year ago. Anyways, I'll be looking forward to seeing your next playthrough on here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)