A mild Smogon sociopolitical experiment (ignore the op do the compass instead)

According to the quiz, which typology group best suits you?

• Total voters

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
...that revolves entirely around the results of an internet quiz. Clearly I am a professional scientist.

BUT ANYWAYS

I was linked recently by one of my friends to this quiz

http://www.people-press.org/typology/quiz/

and the results surprised me a bit. And this got me wondering about the political views of the Smogon userbase.

So what I'm trying to say is take the quiz and report your results. Are your political views accurate to what you thought they were? Or did you manage to surprise yourself.

For the record, my result was Post-Modern. I thought I leaned a bit to the right rather than the left, mainly due to my Texan upbringing, but oh well.

EDIT: The quiz above isn't nearly as accurate as it could be, and has proven to be US-biased. This quiz has been pointed out by many users as much better: http://www.politicalcompass.org/index

Last edited:

Yeti

dark saturday
some of the questions on this quiz are just.. wrong. you shouldn't be in agreement with either statement because both statements are just inaccurate and sound lost in the 80's. current problems for 'black people' don't stem from discrimination or 'equal rights' they stem from economic and geographic problems, and so on. regardless at least it's not one of those 100 question suckers where you have to pick your strength of agreement for each one ~_~

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got Post-Modern. What the fuck is post-modern.

(Took american specifics and applied it to Canada for certain questions)

I'm 17 and I'm not gonna pretend like I know shit about politics. Also a fourth of the questions are dumb and the descriptions/statistics for the various groups show pretty clear bias.

I am more socially liberal than I thought I was considering my views on immigration and poor people hanging around my workplace.

That being said, I like to think I'm independent, I don't belong to either of the major 2 corrupt ones and I just vote for whoever I feel would do the best job regardless of party (or the lesser of 2 evils in some cases).

Ed Balls

some of the questions on this quiz are just.. wrong. you shouldn't be in agreement with either statement because both statements are just inaccurate and sound lost in the 80's. current problems for 'black people' don't stem from discrimination or 'equal rights' they stem from economic and geographic problems, and so on. regardless at least it's not one of those 100 question suckers where you have to pick your strength of agreement for each one ~_~
Bravo. We need more fillies like you around here.

the side-bar thingy i read after being identified as 'post-modern' was surprisingly accurate.

fuck your opinion you main street republican

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While it put me as "Solid Liberal" I disagree with that claim. As there are many claims to the liberal party that I do not believe in and that I actively choose not to vote for in favor of some other (normally 3rd party) candidate. I would put myself closer to mid - conservative or, rather, down, right, than leftist in any way. I find it really silly that you can judge what your political stand-point from ~15 questions when it's taken me close to 21 years to have any semblance of where I actually align.

These questions are also stupid as fuck and this test is bogus.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Post-Moderns
13% OF THE PUBLIC

What They Believe
  • Generally supportive of government, though more conservative on race policies and the safety net
  • Strongly supportive of regulation and environmental protection
  • Most (56%) say Wall Street helps the economy more than it hurts
  • Very liberal on social issues, including same-sex marriage
  • One of the least religious groups: nearly a third are unaffiliated with any religious tradition
  • Favor the use of diplomacy rather than force
Who They Are
  • The youngest of the typology groups: 32% under age 30
  • A majority are non-Hispanic white and have at least some college experience
  • Half live in either the Northeast or the West
  • A majority (58%) live in the suburbs
  • 63% use social networking
  • One-in-five regularly listen to NPR; 14% regularly watch The Daily Show
Wha?

Ok, all I know is that I support Elitism unless people have come out with a way to prevent people being lazy.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
I was classified as a solid liberal, which made me laugh because the first thing that comes up is "solidly pro-government". I am an anarcho-communist. Oy...

This questions on that quiz are altogether far too simplistic, I fell under "Post-Moderns".

An example of what I mean, one question had options of

"Racial discrimination is the main reason why many black people can't get ahead these days"
"Blacks who can't get ahead in this country are mostly responsible for their own condition"

Where was the option acknowledging that poverty (the state which something like 27% of black people are in), regardless of race, has a sharply negative correlation with success.

Another example

"Most people who want to get ahead can make it if they're willing to work hard"
"Hard work and determination are no guarantee of success for most people"

This is such an incredibly lacking set of options, both are entirely about your definition of success and hard work.

And lastly, this one just annoyed me

"The best way to ensure peace is through military strength"
"Good diplomacy is the best way to ensure peace"

The first one ignores that diplomacy is useful, the second ignores that there's a huge benefit in negotiating from a strong position...

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this is worse than the political compass test that everyone links once a year or so: http://www.politicalcompass.org/

I got solidly liberal, which doesn't particularly surprise me but if you asked more financial questions I'd probably come out more centrist. The race questions aren't binary and depend entirely on the area someone lives in / the socioeconomic status of their parents, among other problems.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Too many ambiguous questions. "Racial discrimination" is far too ambiguous a term because of what it implies; the war on drugs is highly racially discriminatory, but I don't think that's what the quiz meant when they used the term "racial discrimination". Furthermore, when they say "the government", do they refer to the federal government, state governments, or local governments? State and especially local governments can generally afford social programs and can tailor the welfare system to those who need it more efficiently than the federal government can, but I put "The government today can't afford to do much more to help the needy" because Washington is more broken than my iPhone screen.

Meh I'll jump off my soap box, admit I got "Libertarian", and go on with my day.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
Yes, this quiz is very US-biased.

Yes, this quiz is kinda shit, but would you rather sit here for half an hour rating your agreement on a scale of 1-10 for 100 statements? It's quick, mildly entertaining, and an alright basic benchmark of your political leanings, so I figured I'd post it and see what happens.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
yes, the questions were bad but i took it anyways and got libertarian which is almost right (there exist a few things generally accepted under the libertarian ideology that i don't agree with, i'm more of a moderate liberal)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)