A New UU team (and first RMT)

This is a team I've been using on the UU ladder, and I've had pretty good results with it. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at explaining how the team works together, but, well, I'll give it my best shot.

Crobat (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Quick Attack

So this is my lead. Outspeeds all non-scarf leads, and can generally put the hurt on anything with Brave Bird. 2HKOs even Milotic. U-turn nicely scouts switches and breaks sashes, and can give Blaziken a free in on a steel type. Trickscarfers end up locked into trick, too. The other two moves are more for utility. Pursuit catches a few things off-guard, including knocking ~85% off -1 def Gallade. And nothing outprioritizes Crobat's Quick Attack, which is quite useful when something really needs to die. Cross Poison is a decent choice over Pursuit. It's only real use is revenging Raikou, but that's still an admirable purpose.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Rest
- Earth Power

One of my sweepers. Outspeeds a lot and hits hard, and makes a nice counter to many bulky waters. Doesn't mind status that much due to natural cure. I'm thinking of replacing Leech Seed with Rest, to make the recovery more reliable, and I think there might be better attacks than Psychic. Recommendations?

Blaziken (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This thing is really the star of the team. When Blaziken comes in, things die. 110 base special attack is the same as Salamence, and Overheat hits just as hard as Draco Meteor. Every single Flash Firer gets OHKO'd by Focus Blast, and STAB 120 power moves always hit hard. Vacuum wave is a great way to revenge things, and HP Grass has nice coverage, hitting Slowbro for major damage. Moltres and Altaria give this set issues, but with SR up, the former can be dealt with, and the latter is rare in the new UU. HP Electric might be better, but I don't remember if I can retain the 31 speed IV with it.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/130 Atk/16 Def/112 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Sets up Stealth Rock and takes hits. I can't for the life of me remember the reason for the EV spread, but it seems to work decently well. Not sure if Toxic or Twave would be better. Generally is my go-to for Raikou. EQ hits it hard, and if it doesn't manage to kill, it can usually get it into revenge-kill territory. Iron Head has a decent amount of power when Registeel needs to hit back.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/58 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Recover
- Haze
- Ice Beam

Haze lets me deal with so many CMers; basically everything not named Raikou. In fact, most stat-uppers fall to Milotic here. Surf and Ice Beam have nice coverage, and Recover should be fairly obvious. Can often lure out Water and Grass types, giving Shaymin and Crobat good switch-ins.

Torterra (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 30 HP/252 Atk/228 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge

I'm not sure what to do with this. It's a nice switch-in to a lot of things, and it can lure Staraptors into a Stone Edge, but overall it seems like it doesn't fit with the team. I suppose I could switch to Life Orb over Leftovers, but maybe I should switch it out for something else entirely. I don't have a way to deal with Tspikes, after all.

Well, that's the team. I'm not including the full threat list, but I have noticed that Staraptor gives the team some big problems. Gallade can also give me issues without careful play. So, what do you think?

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your team has massive problems with Staraptor, especially Scarf Staraptor. With SR support, it OHKOes Crobat, Blaziken, Shaymin and Torterra with Brave Bird. Milotic is always 2HKOed by Brave Bird, and Registeel is always 2HKOed by Close Combat. This is a very significant weakness indeed, and so we should do something to help you deal with Staraptor.

Changing Registeel to Steelix would help with the Staraptor problem somewhat, as Staraptor would require a Choice Band to 2HKO Steelix with Close Combat, and consequently you could bring in Crobat for the 4x resist and to Pursuit it on its way out. Your Registeel set currently cannot do anything better than Steelix can, apart from maybe take on Shaymin better (who once again is dealt with by Crobat. Seriously, Crobat + Steelix rocks =P). Steelix will help you deal with Raikou a lot better, as on a 252 HP / 136 SpD Steelix (the spread I recommend you use), the standard Raikou's HP Ice is a 5HKO. In return, Steelix can OHKO it with Earthquake.

I would suggest replacing either your Shaymin or your Torterra with Spiritomb. Keep Shaymin, as the only thing that Torterra really has over it are its Electric immunity and Stealth Rock, both of which Steelix provides your team. Spiritomb, more specifically the CM ResTalker, would be a great addition here. It gives your team a Normal and Fighting immunity, which can be invaluable in taking on opposing threats such as Staraptor, Tauros and Ambipom. It also gives your team a very dangerous stat up sweeper, while maintaing a strong defensive presence synergic with your team. Grants your team a status absorber and will help you take on opposing stall teams a lot easier.

By replacing Torterra with Spiritomb, you do leave your team a bit vulnerable to generic special walls such as Chansey and Clefable. Although Spiritomb can deal with the former easily, it presents no immediate threat and so doesn't really stop it from walling your other pokemon. This is why I would change Blaziken to a mixed agility sweeper set:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Rash (+SpA, -SpD)
140 Atk / 252 SpA / 116 Spe

- Agility
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Hidden Power Electric

This Blaziken set can take over your Torterra's role of a stat up late game cleaner. 116 Spe EVs let it hit 450 after an Agility, outspeeding neutral scarfed base 100s like Staraptor. However, Agility should not be used until the late game when you are assured a sweep. In the mid game, Blaziken can use the attacking combo of Fire Blast and Superpower to deal with common walls such as Chansey, Clefable, Registeel and Steelix, giving your Crobat and Shaymin a much easier time sweeping. HP Electric 2HKOes any Slowbro that thinks it can switch in on Blaziken unhindered.

On your Shaymin, I would strongly suggest going with Rest over Leech Seed. Leech Seed is far too slow a means of healing when you have no defensive investment and are taking LO recoil every turn, and Rest is very easy to abuse with Natural Cure. I would also suggest replacing Psychic with Air Slash, as it gives you perfect coverage as opposed to now. Air Slash hits key pokemon such as Tangrowth and Torterra a lot harder than Psychic would, and it also means that you have a move for hitting Honchkrow, Cacturne and Shedinja for at least neutral damage.

Ok.. phew that was a lot of suggestions, I hope you take some of them into account. Good luck with your team.

Try Air Slash over Psychic. It'll let you hit Meganium, Vileplume, other Shaymin, and other Grass-types who take subpar damage from Seed Flare and Earth Power. Psychic still hits those Grass/Poison types, but Air Slash has better coverage overall, hitting Grass, Fighting, and most Poison types for awesome damage.

Try

Iron Head
Earthquake
Thunder Wave
Stealth Rock

on Registeel. The paralysis support will help Blaziken sweep more easily. It will also help Torterra if it is unable to get a Rock Polish in.

HP Electric requires only a 30 IV in Special Attack, so are able to retain the maxed Speed by sacrificing one point in your SAtk.

Beaten by a much better rate.

Well, this is so similar to my second UU team which is Crobat/Gallade/blaziken/milotic/steelix/torterra.....In fact my Blaziken is ALSO specs, im testing out blaziken teams.

Steelix/Registeel+Milotic+Crobat are amazing Synergy, and Blaziken is the best Wall Breaker in the UU metagame. My Blaziken has Focus Punch over Blast, this OHKOs Chansey, and hits opposing Milotic hard. And 70 accuracy is -_-.

Rest>Leech seed ill agree with LR, and Air Slash>Psychic. But i will also disagree at the same time. Agility Blaziken is....well not origional, and does not pave a path for Torterra the way a Blaziken with 4 moves can. With common switch ins such as slowbro getting 2HKOd by Fire Blast(sometimes, and only with SR) allowing you to Pursuit and finish it, and Milotics getting pummeled by a Focus Punch or HP grass(Even Focus Blast if you wish). Those pokemon will not switch into Blaziken anymore, and thats when Blaziken can come in, and Break down the Steelix, Registeels, Shaymins and whatever else Walls Torterra(WHO NEEDS LIFE ORB!!!). Another option, is to just use Life Orb on Blaziken, with a a Mixed set, which does look very good on paper(Super Power,Fire Blast, Vacuum Wave, HP Grass/Ice/Electric), but i could see Vacuum Wave not dealing enough Damage w/o Specs.

If you want to keep Registeel, you should use a more specially defensive one, with Stoss,Twave, Explosion and SR. This deals with Substite users not named Mismagius, which Molitic handles quite well.

Crobat is an OK CBer, i just like the bulk with roost and its great HP stat.

Though, another option, but its a little durastic, is to replace Milotic with Slowbro(helps with Staraptor weak), and putting Staraptor as your CB.

Overall great team though, of course i use nearly the same sets and pokemon on my test team....

I swapped Shaymin's MS and gave Registeel Twave. I'll try using Steelix over Registeel a bit later. Natural Cure Rest is really good with Shaymin's speed. I don't know why I didn't think of it when I made this team. Twave seems to support the team a little better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)