Gen 7 A Newbie's Gen 7 OU Team. Looking for suggestions on improvement

I am pretty new to competitive pokemon and am participating in a little Gen7 OU tourney with a couple of my friends and I would like to win since a lot of them have been playing pokemon competitively for a long time. I built this team myself and wanted to see what others think of a newbie's first team. I'll take any major or minor changes to this team since I am very new to team building.
The Team:

scizor.png
garchomp.png
volcarona.png
tornadus-therian.png
rotom-wash.png
clefable.png
scizor.png

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

I chose to build a team around Mega Scizor since it is incredibly bulky and is still able to hit opponents hard and counters Clefable, which is a mon that 4 of my friends are playing in their teams. Scizor primarily plays as my late-game sweeper. Bullet Punch is the main stab move and it's a move that usually takes priority which compliments Scizor's lack of speed and is boosted by the Technician ability. Bug Bite can hit Grass, Psychic, Dark types hard with help from the technician ability. Superpower hits checks such as Heatran.

garchomp.png

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

I've put in Garchomp as a physical attacker that can check a lot of Scizor's weaknesses in Fire and opposing Steel types. I put SR on Garchomp since it can force a lot of switches. EQ and Stone Edge are to threaten any defog mons. Outrage is a nice stab move against Rotom-W, Tornadus and Landorus. I decided that Outrage would have been a better move over SD since I only have Clefairy to check mons like Kommo-o.

volcarona.png

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona acts as my SpA sweeper and synergises well with Scizor. Flamethrower can hit mons like Ferrothorn hard. Bug Buzz boosted by Buginium Z and quizer dance allows it to break mons like T-Tar. HP Ground is added in to be able to hit a Heatran or Ferrothorn hard. However, it has 4x weakness to Rock types so switching into SR is not optimal which is why I have Tornadus-T...

tornadus-therian.png

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

..to serve as my defogger. I build this Tornadus defensive to be able to tank hits. He serves as a pivot in my team and brings great utility in Knock-Off. U-Turn allows me to gain momentum and allows Tornadus to work within the pivot role. Defog is mandatory on this team since Volcarona has a 4x weakness to SR. Hurricane can help break walls and works as a stab move in Tornadus' arsenal

rotom-wash.png

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Pain Split

Rotom is my mixed wall to tank hits against Scizor's fire weakness. Volt Switch provides momentum and works well with SR by stalling out the game and switching away from grass types such as Tangrowth. Rotom is my second defogger to take care of SR that would otherwise trouble my Volcarona. Pain Split helps Rotom stay healthy over extended battles.

clefable.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Lastly, I have Clefable as a physical wall to tank a lot of hits that would otherwise trouble my other attackers. Calm Mind is used to boost its SpA and SpD and allows it to take hits from both physical and special attackers. I switched in SR for thunderbolt since I already have Garchomp as a reliable SR setter and thunderbolt can stab water types such as Greninja.

I think this team is quite vulnerable to stall teams as well as rain teams.

I am keen on getting any advice to help improve this team as well as my team-building skills. Please offer changes even a whole pokemon if needed. Thank you for reading this far!

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Reactions: TPP
Perhaps, remove Thunderbolt and add Flamethrower on Clefable, as you already have 3 checks to Toxapex, i.e. Garchomp, Rotom-W and Volcarona. I'd rather have Wiki Berry on Rotom-W and put Wisp instead of Pain Split, but that's a personal choice and up to you. You'd probably be better off having Roost instead of Bug Bite and U-Turn instead of Superpower(since you already have many ways to beat Heatran),being you're Impish SD. Maybe Def investement would be better than Att, though Weavile is kinda scary against your team. U-Turn on Scizor will server as a good pivot along with Rotom-W, helping the team to start setting up on either Clefable or Volcarona.

Reactions: FNH
Hello! I'm dropping by to rate your team, so here we go!

Major Changes

->

This team performs poorly against Ash-Greninja, as well as a little bit Crawdaunt. Hydreigon patches these issues, as well as giving a nuke vs things like Mega Scizor, and providing a Knock Off pivot in the process. It also gives you a breaker and a psychic-immunity, plus everything I already listed in one slot. It's pretty niche, but it fills the slot pretty well.

Minor Changes

[set change]

The moveset and spread you had was not optimal for what Scizor-Mega needs to do on this team. It's job is to function as a late game wincon at the end yes, but to also abuse it's bulk + typing to handle things like Kartana as well. Superpower hits everything you would want to for the most part, notably allowing you to muscle past stuff like Heatran and Kartana. The bulk in spdef also allows you to handle lele/zam much better.

[set change]

A lot of these changes are optimization to the current team, including this. Tankchomp allows you to have a slightly better answer to Heatran, as well as provide crucial chip on U-turn users and contact move users in general, which really benefits Mega Scizor. You could go either FIre Blast or Roar here, as Fire Blast can be used if you don't feel safe vs MMawile, and roar the same for setup sweepers like Reuniclus. Still does Tankchomp things, not much else to say here.

[defensive -> offensive]

Again, more small changes but I feel it's redundant to run defensive chomp + defensive torn. In the classic combo, at least one is always offensive, and since Garchomp is tankchomp, Torn is offensive. Being offensive gives you much more leeway in terms of setting up for a late game Scizor sweep. The extra damage from Hurricane is always appreciate on things like Magnezone and Rotom-Wash. Still does Tornadus-Therian things, but with a little more oomph behind it. Sharp Beak is ran due to the lack of Z Move being available, and it grants you extra power with Hurricane, which is always a bonus.

[defog -> wisp]

With no Volcarona, and defog being on Tornadus-T, there's no reason to run double defog on this build. That being said, Will-O-Wisp is greatly appreciated here, as burning something like Garchomp could be crucial, again, for Mega Scizor. Could also go something like Thunder Wave to punish the Lati Twins, but I feel like between Tornadus-T and Scizor, you should be fine.

[cm boltbeam -> wallbreaker]

This team really needs a wallbreaker with chomp being moved to tankchomp. I couldn't really find a niche for Clef on this build and was going to switch it to Magearna or something when I remembered this set existed. Wallbreaker Clef allows you to still softcheck Lucha and co, but have a lot more offensive potential, granting you the ability to greatly chip Clefable's and Scizor-Mega's shared answers, such as Toxapex and Heatran.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the changes. Click the sprites below for an importable with all the changes, and I hope you have a great rest of your day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)