SM UU a Penguin & a Porcupine

Meet the Team:

Background:

I've been messing around in the UU tier for quite some time now, and I figured it was probably a good time to put some effort into making a more serious team. I had been a while since I last played pokemon, so I built a pretty simple team revolving around what I had thought might be still good. I quickly came to realize that my old strats no longer worked as well as they used to, so I looked at common threats and tactics and started the process of building and scraping teams. Can't use Kommo-o cause its banned now, Primarina is much more common now, and Moltres, the flying flaming nuke, is scary. I was glad to see that somethings never change, such as Scizors power, Latias still being useful, and other common mons still running around. With all this new found enlightenment I set out on my journey to make a half decent team.

Movesets:

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 136 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

To start off, I new I needed a mon that could stop Primarina and other special attackers in their tracks, so I looked at my options and the best ones seemed to be Tentacruel, Amoonguss, and Empoleon. I recalled an old team I once ran that utilized a Protect Empoleon, and so it became the first member of the team. Leftovers is an absolute must on Empolean, seeing as it lacks good recovery. For the move slots, Scald and Toxic were must picks as Scald is Empoleon's best water type STAB and Toxic allows Empoleon to slowly chip away at most bulky pokemon's health. I then went with protect, so I could get a little extra leftovers recovery against big offensive threats and to rack up some extra Toxic damage behind the safety of a shield. Finally, I initially went with Defog, but I later changed that to Stealth Rocks as my next mon could utilize the move better and Empoleon was the only mon that I felt Stealth Rock fit on. The EV spread allows Empoleon to live an Earthquake from Krookodile and a Close Combat from Cobalion at full health. The spread also allows Empoleon to outspeed Scizors that lack any investment in Speed. The rest of the EVs were then dumped into SPdef to maximize Empoleon's special bulk.

Damage Calcs:
252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 312-368 (83.8 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 312-368 (83.8 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Latias Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Empoleon: 282-334 (75.8 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Nihilego Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Empoleon: 314-370 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 306-362 (82.2 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Altaria-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 296-350 (79.5 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Empoleon: 296-351 (79.5 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Empoleon: 310-366 (83.3 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Looking at Empoleon's Ground and Electric weaknesses, I added Rotom-H onto the team. Rotom's ability Levitate makes it immune to Ground type attacks, making it perfect for the job. For the item, I again went with Leftovers as I felt that the Pinch Berries were not reliable enough and again, Rotom-H lacks good recovery. I then went with the standard Rotom-H EV spread, only decreasing its HP to better combat Stealth Rocks. I then went with the standard moves of Overheat for damage, Volt Switch for momentum, Will-O-Wisp for crippling Physical Attackers and chipping away at Toxic-Immune mons, and Defog to clear Hazards. Now that I had a designated Defogger, I could make Empoleon my Stealth Rocker.

Damage Calcs:
24 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Mow: 282-332 (117 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
24 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 338-402 (105.9 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO
24 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Celebi: 300-354 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
24 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Chesnaught: 374-444 (98.6 - 117.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
24 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Venomoth: 254-300 (90.3 - 106.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
24 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur: 300-354 (99.6 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat: 242-288 (80.6 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Krookodile Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 210-248 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
- Superpower

Next up, I added Scizor for some offensive pressure, as my team was so far lacking any mons in that department. Scizor was perfect as its powerful priority Bullet Punch allowed it to clean up almost any mon. For the item, I opted for Choice Band as it made all of Scizor's moves much more powerful and allowed Scizor to pick up more OHKOs. Again, I went with the standard Choice Band Scizor EV spread, only tweaking it to give Scizor enough Speed to outspeed anything looking to speed creep it. Bullet Punch is a must on any Scizor set and was an obvious choice for STAB priority. U-turn allows momentum Scizor to generate momentum and is a surprisingly powerful STAB move. U-turn also formed a common VoltTurn core with Rotom-H. Superpower was added for its ability to OHKO Blissey and catch unsuspecting switch-ins with some big damage. Finally, I debated between Pursuit and Quick Attack. Pursuit would allow Scizor to trap low enough mons and Quick Attack would allow it to take out the Fire and Water Types that resisted Bullet Punch. In the end I went with Quick Attack as I was too paranoid to click Pursuit and Quick Attack was more reliable with my lackluster prediction skills.

Damage Calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria-Mega: 296-350 (101.7 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 338-398 (90.3 - 106.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Terrakion: 354-416 (109.5 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 244-288 (93.4 - 110.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 390-458 (108 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow-Mega: 312-368 (97.1 - 114.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 782-920 (109.5 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 346-408 (107.1 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Synthesis
- Spikes

Looking at my team thus far, I realized a PhysDef Grass Type would nicely round out my Fire Water Grass core. I recalled using Chesnaught before it became a fully inducted member of the UU tier and so it only felt natural to add him here. With Chesnaught I went with an EV spread that would maximize its Physical Defense, while also being able to outspeed Scizor. Those extra EVs in speed allow Chesnaught to fire off a Synthesis before taking a Choice Banded U-turn. I chose Leftovers over Rocky Helmet as the extra recovery would mean I wouldn't have to click Synthesis as often. For the movepool I opted for Wood Hammer in order to OHKO Swampert and Seismitoad, Drain Punch for Fighting Stab, Synthesis for recover, and Spikes for some extra hazard staking. The Ability Bullet Proof was also chosen in order to protect Chesnaught from Sludge Bombs and other powerful ballistics.

Damage Calcs:
0 Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 424-504 (104.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 314-372 (83 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 296-350 (78.3 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Cobalion All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 303-357 (80.1 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 248+ Atk Linoone Return vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 304-358 (80.4 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 319-376 (84.3 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Celebi Psychic vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 312-368 (82.5 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 308-366 (81.4 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
Now That my Defensive Fire Water Grass core was complete, I was free to look for some more offensive options. Scarf Krookodile seemed like a good option as it contributed to the team with speed control, Knock Off support, and Pursuit Trapping. Earthquake as Krookodile's main Ground STAB, Knock Off to remove items from Bulky Pokemon, Stone Edge to deal big damage to Flying Types on switch-in, and Pursuit to trap mons that are on low health. Pursuit works better on Krookodile as it can outspeed all non-Choice Scarf mons and take them out, however I use it sparingly and only to confirm kills on mons that can already be taken out without the Pursuit damage boost. For the Ability I had initially went with Moxie, but I noticed that I was often forced to switch-out after taking out a pokemon, so I went with Intimidate to make it easier for Krookodile to switch in on Physical attackers. For the EV spread I just went with the Standard max ATK max Speed Jolly spread to ensure I am outspeeding as many mons as possible and dealing as much damage as possible.

Damage Calcs:
252 Atk Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 320-380 (106.3 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Terrakion: 330-390 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Muk-Alola: 386-456 (109.6 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Tentacruel: 372-438 (102.1 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Stakataka: 312-372 (95.7 - 114.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Krookodile Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pidgeot-Mega: 242-286 (78.8 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Celebi Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 276-326 (83.3 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Krookodile: 268-316 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Calm Mind
- Roost
Finally, I added Latias to the team. I knew the team needed a solid Dragon Type, so I looked at my best options being Mega Altaria, Latias, and Hydreigon. As much as I love Hydreigon, I already had a solid Dark Type, some Hydreigon wasn't the best option. Latias and Mega Altaria seemed to be equally good, but I prefer running Physical Mega Altaria, and I already had three Physical Attackers and I didn't want to off set the balance, so Latias seemed like my best bet. I went with the Calm Mind Dragonium Z set as the Electrium Z set seemed too niche to me, and I needed a Z move that could take out big threats after a Calm Mind or two. Dragonium Z is best used off of Draco Meteor, so that was a given, and Psyshock seemed like the better Psychic STAB over Psychic, so that Latias isn't completely walled by Blissey. Roost was a must pick for recovery and Calm Mind was a must for boosting Latias' SPatk and SPdef. The EV Spread with max SPatk and max Speed allows Latias to deal as much damage as possible and outspeed all non-Choice Scarfed mons with under a 110 Speed stat, which is most mons in UU.

Damage Calcs:
+1 252 SpA Latias Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 349-412 (104.4 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Latias Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Hippowdon: 447-526 (106.4 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Latias Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 180 SpD Slowbro-Mega: 415-489 (105.3 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Infernape: 306-362 (104.4 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manectric: 286-337 (101.7 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 248-294 (82.3 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Moltres Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 234-276 (77.7 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 240-284 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Celebi Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 232-274 (77 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Threats:

The biggest threat to this team is myself, as I lack the prediction skills to make the most out of the team. On a more serious note, Suicune does cause this team to struggle as getting a Toxic off on it is difficult when it can freely sub in front of Empoleon. Suicune can also get a Scald burn on Chesnaught when I bring it in to take care of Suicune's sub. Aggron also can be a challenge to kill, but the best way to remove it is to chip it down slowly and take out its Wish/Heal Bell support. Gligar also deserves a mention as it can usually Toxic most mons before being taken out. Gligar can however be nuked by a plus one Devistating Drake from Latias if it hasn't already been used.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-896310103
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-896318619
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-896727470
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-896773221

Closing Thoughts:

Thanks for reading my first RMT, hopefully I did everything right. This team has been very kind to me and has pulled me out of the 1300s and into the world of the 1500s. Hopefully it helps you out just the same. Again thanks for reading and thanks for rating.​

Hi! Cool team, but there are some glaring flaws that need addressed here. Let's get into this, shall we?

Major Changes

-->

While I hate not having a ground on a build, I felt this change was necessary. Crawdaunt smashes Stall for the most part, and is scary to fatter builds as well, including fatmons like Suicune (although Crawdaunt doesn't like being burnt by Scald), Gligar, etc. Crawdaunt also benefits from the U-turn/Volt Switch support from Scizor and Rotom-Heat, respectively. Waterium Z gives Crawdaunt a nuke that is basically impossible to switch into when boosted, as well as making Crawdaunt less weak to knock off on a smaller note. Boosted Waterium Z also lets Crawdaunt power through some of its main answers like Hydreigon and Mega Altaria.

Minor Changes

-->

With Krookodile being replaced with Crawdaunt, the team needed a scarfer. Latias fit this role quite nicely, providing a way to switch into and threaten most fighting types that annoy Crawdaunt, while potentially crippling a defensive answer with Trick. Healing Wish is amazing for this team, as it can give Crawdaunt another chance, or replenish one of your other teammates, such as Empoleon or Scizor, to help them continue checking big threats such as Mega Altaria and Primarina.

Will-O-Wisp --> Toxic

Will-O-Wisp isn't really needed here, as most things you would want to burn are scared out by Rotom anyways. Toxic gives you more mileage, as well as the chance to cripple things that like to switch into Rotom like Seismatoad, Rhyperior, Mega Aerodactyl, etc. It also allows you to not be complete fodder against Mega Altaria.

Quick Attack --> Pursuit

Quick Attack isn't really a good option on Scizor, unless it's Swords Dance+Life Orb. That being said, you get more out of pursuit anyways, allowing you to trap things like Latias for the rest of the team.

Protect -->
Knock Off
(Optional)

While having the ability to scout and recover for a turn is nice and all, the team really craves Knock Off here. Knock Off allows you to cripple pokemon that are item dependent to recover, such as opposing Empoleon, Tentacruel, Suicune (still can rest, but w/e), Heattom, etc. Overall, it just makes Empoleon less helpless vs these pokemon, while providing the team extra utility. This change is optional 100% however, so do what you feel is best for you here.

Importable

The is kinda annoyd by Volt Switch users, but you have Latias, Heatom, and Chesnaught to handle those. Anyways, bon appetite and enjoy!

Thanks for taking a look at my team. I definitely will be replacing will-o-wisp on Rotom-H with Toxic, however I am reluctant to replace Krookodile with Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt does give the team more breaking powerand I plan on testing it, but I do want a Ground Type on the team, especially if I am going to run two Water Types. Again thanks for the rate, and I’ll give these changes a shot.

Thanks for taking a look at my team. I definitely will be replacing will-o-wisp on Rotom-H with Toxic, however I am reluctant to replace Krookodile with Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt does give the team more breaking powerand I plan on testing it, but I do want a Ground Type on the team, especially if I am going to run two Water Types. Again thanks for the rate, and I’ll give these changes a shot.
As I mentioned, having a ground type is not ideal, and I understand it. However, it isn't like you have no electric resistance. You have Rotom Heat, Chesnaught, and Latias, which all can help, and 2 of the 3 can recover.

Hey PKMN Hoarder Sylver I really love the team you've got here and I'm glad you hit the 1500 bracket you were aiming for. The team itself is really well structured around the core of Empoleon + Chesnaught. The main threat I see to this team on top of what you have already listed is Hydreigon, which your team lacks the best switch-ins to. The Stall match-up isn't awful but it definitely isn't anything to be desired. You probably have to rely on getting hazards up for Latias to put in work. Most of my other suggestions will be small nit picks I think could help the team go a long way.

Major Changes:

>
: Mega Altaria eases the match-up against Hydreigon and other dragon types. I opted for the DD EQ variant to help get past Pokemon like Tentacruel now that Latias has been swapped out. It appreciates Chesnaught taking pressure off it to handle Pokemon like Zeraora and Crawdaunt while in return it still maintains the ability to handle Infernape, Rotom-H etc. Not to mention most of its checks like Scizor, Aggron are grounded meaning Spike support goes a long way for it.

>
: Scizor isn't that necessary on this team as the Latias and Celebi match-up isn't that bad. Lucario helps give the team a better match-up against balance and stall which could prove problematic. It helps open up doors vs bulky steels and waters which can allow Malt to sweep in the late game. It also appreciates the Spike support to put its targets in range of a Fightinium-Z.

Minor Changes:

: I recommend you use Roar > protect as it eases the match-up against SD Scizor, Suicune, Celebi etc. It also works extremely well with Spike support potentially racking up a lot of damage.

: I think Rocky Helmet is a good option over Lefties as this is the teams main switch-in to Pokemon like Terrakion and Cobalion so getting chip damage off them is appreciated.

: I suggest you use a Wiki Berry > Lefties for it to be more reliable as a Scizor check and Defog user.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
Again really solid team dude and I hope you consider some of these changes. The match-up against Maero gets a bit worse with replacing Scizor, but the team can play around it pretty well. Wing Attack variants aren't popular right now, but you should still scout for it. I just wanted to bring the fact that Chesnaught could be replaced here for a different bulky grass type like Amoonguss which performs a similar role. Obviously you lose the Spike support, but in return you get access to Spore. This is something you could look to try out. I hope you like the suggestions and if you have any questions just let me know ^_^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)