SM OU A Prehistoric Birb Safari

1520891204225.png
1520891180219.png
1520891220400.png
1520891227194.png
1520891254393.png
1520891322624.png

INTRODUCTION
Oh hello there, my name is Stuuful12 and here is my fabulous RMT. I've been using this for a while, and I want some opinions on what I should do to improve this team. Without further ado, here is my Pre-historic Birb Safari.

Teambuilding Process

I started out with Mega Aerodactyl, because I wanted to build a team around this C- mon to see how good it could be. With great offenses, and a fantastic speed tier, he helps bring a lot of revenge-killing and cleaning to this team, with the ability to revenge a menagerie of pokemon, and its ability to somehow always threaten the opposing team. For a supposedly bad "Birb", it surprisingly good at cleaning up versus offence.

I then chose Necrozma since I believe that it is an incredibly underrated rocker that has great match-ups versus opposing rockers and does extremely well versus most defoggers. He even utilizes his half-decent offenses to hurt the opposing teams. He also manages to surprise Landorus most of the time, making it easier on Mega Aerodactyl to clean.

I then needed a way to smash through fat teams, and a good wincon, and so I naturally picked up Tapu Lele. It does most of the work versus fat teams, and ensures that opposing walls are weakened enough for Aerodactyl to run ham afterwards. It also utilizes Calm Mind so I can win the stall match-up

I then needed a way to absorb hits from special attackers like Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko without folding, while also being just threatening enough to not be completely passive. Magearna fit both of those bills, while also providing an amazing slow pivot so that I could get both Aero and Tapu Lele in much safer.

I then got Toxapex to round out any defensive issues I otherwise had.

I then needed some speed control to fend off other scarfer as well as another cleaner if Mega Aero doesn't cut it.

The Team

JurassicBirb (Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite Ability: Tough Claws EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Jolly Nature - Stone Edge - Earthquake - Fire Fang - Ice Fang
I chose Mega Dactyl because I wanted to see how it fares in OU. The set is pretty simple, with maximum Attack and Speed to ensure it hits hard, and the sets allows it to hit the maximum amount of pokemon in the tier

??????? (Necrozma) @ Expert Belt Ability: Prism Armor EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD Modest Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Stealth Rock - Photon Geyser - Hidden Power [Ice] - Earth Power
Necrozma was an interesting choice for me, since I used to use another RMT that used Necrozma, and for what it is, its surprisingly good at getting rocks up and keeping them up, what with its good movepool and E-belt allowing it to belt out at other rockers / defoggers. Earth Power and Hidden Power Ice are to dent Landorus and Heatran, and Photon Geyser is obligatory stab

Lalaland (Tapu Lele) @ Fightinium Z Ability: Psychic Surge EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Modest Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Moonblast - Psyshock - Focus Blast - Calm Mind
Tapu Lele breaks past even the fattest of walls which is crucial for Aero and Kartana to clean up afterwards. It utilitzes Fightinium Z to break through usual checks and the rest of the set is pretty standard

Playboi (Magearna) @ Assault Vest Ability: Soul-Heart EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Sassy Nature - Fleur Cannon - Iron Head - Volt Switch - Ice Beam
Magearna was added so that I could tank more Special Attacks with ease as well as a having a strong, and slow pivot so that I could safely bring in Aerodactyl. It also provides a neccesary check to Koko-Lucha, so I wouldn't immediately fold to it.

Shape of death (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge Ability: Regenerator EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Sassy Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Toxic Spikes - Scald - Haze - Recover
Toxapex was added to round out any more issues with any other attackers as well as stop set up sweeping, but I have to say; it surprisingly is my weakest link in this team, and often I find myself using Magearna more, and using Toxapex as death fodder for Scarf Lando. Toxic Spikes are meant to help soften walls that try to switch into Lele, but I often see myself putting into the back.

Come over here (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf Ability: Beast Boost EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Jolly Nature - Leaf Blade - Sacred Sword - Knock Off - Defog
And finally, Kartana who provides both neccesary speed control when Dactyl doesn't cut it, as well as Defog and Knock-Off to aid my team in breaking opposing teams

Conclusion
This team has really opened my eyes to how potentially good Aerodactyl can be in Ou. Whenever I use this team, it always feels like it contributes something meaningful even despite some poor match-ups and a crippling rocks weakness, and I honestly expected a lot less for a C- pokemon, but it does the job, and it does a lot more work in this team than any of the rest of my pokemon( except Magearna) I expected for it to crumple up and die most match-ups and be generally useless, and while the occasional scarfed mon does suck to fight against, Mega Aero feels like it always manages to bring down one or two pokemon with it, or just ends the match thanks to its speed and power. And for a team that was supposed to test Mega Aero's supposed "niche", I got to say that its a lot better than the rankings seem to let on. I guess it just goes to show that any pokemon with a niche can be successful under the right circumstances. I really enjoyed playing with this team, and I hope someone out there will too.

Threats / Problems
1. Scarf Landorus sucks to fight against especially if carries Rock Slide. Not much of my team can switch in, and I often find myself sacking Toxapex or some other mon to deal with it.
2. Celesteela also sucks to fight against though Tapu Lele can dent it. Not much stops it from Leech Seeding everything, but thankfully, its relatively rarer at the moment.
3. I feel as if Toxapex could be replaced with another mon. It always feels as if it does nothing in every battle but look pretty and I want to put that moveslot to better use. I've been considering a bulky grass type like Amoonguss, but I don't know what I should put in its place
4. This is less of a dillema but I feel as if Fire Fang is a bit useless on Aero. Ferrothorn and Celesteela aren't Ohkoed, Mega Scizor laughs at Dactyl, and the rest of the steels are hit harder by Earthqake. I think I should replace it with Aerial Ace, but I want a second opinion on that matter.

JurassicBirb (Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang

??????? (Necrozma) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Photon Geyser
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power

Lalaland (Tapu Lele) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Playboi (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam

Shape of death (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Come over here (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Defog

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey, the team is ok but could be even better. One thing I instantly notified is that there's no Ground-Type. This means Pokemon such as Zapdos and Tapu Koko are threatening. Since 5/6 of your Pokemon are hit by Earthquake, as you said, Pokemon like Lando-T and even Zygarde are gonna be problematic. And lastly, another weakness you pointed out, Celesteela is a pain to the team because nothing really damages it hard. I have some suggestions to make and I'll try to keep that Necrozma since it can work as a great lure in my opinion even though it's not that good overall.

Major Changes

>
I suggest this change because Heatran not only acts as your Steel-Type and so your answer to things like Tapu Lele, it also is able to consistently check the likes of Celesteela and Zapdos, two of the weaknesses of your team. it also forms a FWG core with Toxapex and Kartana. I'd run the standard trapper set with Protect over SR/Toxic to get more chip damages with Magma Storm as well as recovering more reliably.

>
I'm getting rid of your Lele but I think it's worth it. You needed a Ground-Type and Lando-T fits really well here because it is a great check to things like opposite Lando-T and Zygarde. It prevents Electric-Types such as Tapu Koko to spam Volt Switch for free and gives you another appreciated Ground immunity. For the set, I'd run a defensive one without SR (not a fan of that set tbh but you already get them with Necrozma).

>
(optional) Made it optional but Bulu actually gives you a solid Tapu Koko check and the Grassy Terrain which supports some of your Pokemon like Kartana and Heatran. Removing Pex, however, makes you lose two things, a consistent way to beat variantes of Greninja and TSpikes. This change also works over Necrozma but well, let's keep it.

Minor Changes

I would suggest running a different spread on Necrozma. 252 HP / 16 SpA / 240 Spe with a Timid Nature allows you to outspeed both Defensive LandoTs and max Speed Heatrans which I think is important since you're running Epower and HP Ice. Magma Storm from the trapper set of Heatran have chances to 2HKO too. Also, I'd consider running HP Fire over HP Ice jus because it lets you damage M-Scizor (this one in particular because it runs defog) and Ferrothorn while Photon Geyser does probably already a lot to Lando-t.

I'd recommend Roost over EQ because it gives you a better longevity and I think the coverage of SEdge / FFang / IFang is enough.

Good luck with your team!

Hey, the team is ok but could be even better. One thing I instantly notified is that there's no Ground-Type. This means Pokemon such as Zapdos and Tapu Koko are threatening. Since 5/6 of your Pokemon are hit by Earthquake, as you said, Pokemon like Lando-T and even Zygarde are gonna be problematic. And lastly, another weakness you pointed out, Celesteela is a pain to the team because nothing really damages it hard. I have some suggestions to make and I'll try to keep that Necrozma since it can work as a great lure in my opinion even though it's not that good overall.

Major Changes

>
I suggest this change because Heatran not only acts as your Steel-Type and so your answer to things like Tapu Lele, it also is able to consistently check the likes of Celesteela and Zapdos, two of the weaknesses of your team. it also forms a FWG core with Toxapex and Kartana. I'd run the standard trapper set with Protect over SR/Toxic to get more chip damages with Magma Storm as well as recovering more reliably.

>
I'm getting rid of your Lele but I think it's worth it. You needed a Ground-Type and Lando-T fits really well here because it is a great check to things like opposite Lando-T and Zygarde. It prevents Electric-Types such as Tapu Koko to spam Volt Switch for free and gives you another appreciated Ground immunity. For the set, I'd run a defensive one without SR (not a fan of that set tbh but you already get them with Necrozma).

>
(optional) Made it optional but Bulu actually gives you a solid Tapu Koko check and the Grassy Terrain which supports some of your Pokemon like Kartana and Heatran. Removing Pex, however, makes you lose two things, a consistent way to beat variantes of Greninja and TSpikes. This change also works over Necrozma but well, let's keep it.

Minor Changes

I would suggest running a different spread on Necrozma. 252 HP / 16 SpA / 240 Spe with a Timid Nature allows you to outspeed both Defensive LandoTs and max Speed Heatrans which I think is important since you're running Epower and HP Ice. Magma Storm from the trapper set of Heatran have chances to 2HKO too. Also, I'd consider running HP Fire over HP Ice jus because it lets you damage M-Scizor (this one in particular because it runs defog) and Ferrothorn while Photon Geyser does probably already a lot to Lando-t.

I'd recommend Roost over EQ because it gives you a better longevity and I think the coverage of SEdge / FFang / IFang is enough.

Good luck with your team!
Thank you for responding here, I'll be sure to try out those change. The only real problem I have with your suggestion is that this thing sorta leaves me winconless, especially since Aerodactyl isn't breaking teams on its own. Luckily, Kartana and Bulu can clean, and the Z-slot is open, so I'll probably turn Kartana into the Swords Dance set, and make Landorus the scarfer, which will probably solves both problems.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)