A Pretty Decent Doubles

Hello Smogon peeps, this will be my first VGC team, but mainly used on the Random Doubles. I hope to someday enter in the VGC but for now, I will be on WiFi. The idea behind this team is to counter as much of the main styles of play possible. Trick Room, Rain, Sandstorm, and Sun are all VERY popular nowadays, and so I attempted to counter all of these the best I could with just 6 Pokes, while also countering some of the biggest threats.
No more blah blah, heres the team.

Cresselia – 252 HP/ 84 SpAtk/ 162SpDef/ 12Spe
Calm Nature – Chesto Berry - Levitate
Psychic
Ice Beam
Thunder Wave
Rest
Meet Cresselia, a hella overused pokemon in Doubles competitive play. And we all know why. She can take hits like its nothing. Cresselia is so important to this team it’s amazing. She T-Waves all the threats that outspeed, then, heals all that HP back. Psychic is stab move, duh, and Ice Beam over Icy Wind for power. Since she carries T-Wave I found it redundant to carry both. Rest-Chesto is very effective on this sexy beast. Levitate also has beautiful synergy with Garchomp.

Garchomp (~Omnomnom~) 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly - Yache Berry - Sand Veil
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Substitute
Protect
So this nigga. THIS NIGGA! Imagine Garchomp and Cresselia on the opposing side, Garchomp is obviously going to be more of a threat that Cresselia. Hits harder, Faster, better typing and Stab moves. I usually use that mentallity when playing against people, and it makes since to me. I mainly start off with a protect and Cress T-Waves the fast threats (incase they are scarfed, cough* Hydreigon*) and then am able to either set up a sub or hit hard right away. Either way its a good way start to the match. Dragon Claw over Dual Chop for the accuracy. Missing a move is so damn frustrating, it's not worth trying to break subs. Earthquake goes well with my team, I mean really well. Yache Berry for the damn Ice Beam that flies around everywhere not giving a fuck. I did have a Garchomp with Rough Skin, but I found that ability useless because everyone and their mothers carry Ice Beam, so it's rare when he gets hit with a physical attack. Sand Veil was the choice, and hax is kinda lolzy.

Zapdos - 142 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 116 Spe
Timid - Choice Specs - Pressure
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Heat Wave
Hidden Power Ice
Zapdos, my 4th favorite pokemon. Not only because it's the baddest looking mother fucker around, but it has nice Bulk, huge Special Attack, and some good ass speed. Volt Switch for obvious reasons with Specs. Thunderbolt is just a powerhouse move with specs, it even amazes me. Heat Wave is a great spread move, albeit a 75 BP in doubles, it is still good. And by the time Zappy is sent out the opponent is usually already damaged. I wasnted HP Fighting originally, but I opted for the more popular Ice for good reason. T-Tar usually has Chople or Sash, and the other pokes that I wanted Fighting for was pointless because I have 2 Fighting types in my arsenal.

Breloom (Zergling) 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly - Toxic Orb - Poison Heal
Mach Punch
Seed Bomb
Spore
Protect
So Breloom does about two things very well, and one of those things is stopping trick room bastards. ( I have a kickass trick room team :0)
Spore--all--damn--day! Spore is just grand, when I'm using it. Mach Punch for the priority, and Seed Bomb just hits hard. Protect is the staple move of doubles, no team can function exceptionally in double battles without it. I chose this set because he really functions as a trick room counter. Spore dat shit. I didn't choose Sky Uppercut because, like I said, he is a dedicated trick room counter. Poison Heal was chosen for a couple of reasons. First was I fucking love Poison Heal, and after spore and protect that is alot of health back, not to mention status protection from Will-O-Wisp and T-Wave.

Hitmontop - 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpDef
Adamant - Life Orb - Technician
Wide Guard
Fake Out
Aerial Ace
Mach Punch
So I don't like Hitmontop. I don't like the way he looks. I am picky with my pokemon, and he really annoys me. Spinnin on your head and shit. Pissin me off. But he functions really good with just about any team. So it's very hard to find a replacement for him, and as much as I don't like him, it's going to be hard to replace. Wide Guard because it's Wide Guard. Fake Out because it's Fake Out. Mach Punch for the priority and Tech boost. And Aerial Ace, woot woot. I have surprised many an opponent with this move, takes out other Hitmontops, Brelooms, Volcorona, and any other damaged or any non-bulky poke weak to it. I really like it for its surprise factor. And Technician boost. And perfect accuracy. If only Hitmontop looked different -.-

Gyarados (Nope) 252 HP/ 96 Atk/ 140 Def/ 22 SpDef
Adamant - Leftovers - Intimadate
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Thunder Wave
Protect
Gyarados is such an amazing pokemon. He is so bulky it's ridiculous. He fills a similar role to Cress with the T-Wave support, but also hits hard with Stab Waterfall. Stone Edge gets some pretty good coverage with Waterfall. Protect is obvious. Intimadate is an excellent ability to have in double, especially for trick room team, because alot of them carry slow physical attackers. The EVs differ from the Smogon Analysis just a bit, I took the Speed EVs and put them in Def for extra bulk. Its flying type helps Garchomp with Earthquake, Intimadate is just a fanatastic ability and the fact that he can T-Wave is just great.

Thats my Doubles Team. I have taken a long time to pick and choose pokemon and movesets to deal with huge threats and playstyles. As long as I can play carefully It's usually a win for me.

Cresselia – 252 HP/ 84 SpAtk/ 162SpDef/ 12Spe
Calm Nature – Chesto Berry - Levitate
Psychic
Ice Beam
Thunder Wave
Rest

Garchomp (~Omnomnom~) 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly - Yache Berry - Sand Veil
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Substitute
Protect

Zapdos - 142 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 116 Spe
Timid - Choice Specs - Pressure
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Heat Wave
Hidden Power Ice

Breloom (Zergling) 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly - Toxic Orb - Poison Heal
Mach Punch
Seed Bomb
Spore
Protect

Hitmontop - 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpDef
Adamant - Life Orb - Technician
Wide Guard
Fake Out
Aerial Ace
Mach Punch

Gyarados (Nope) 252 HP/ 96 Atk/ 140 Def/ 22 SpDef
Adamant - Leftovers - Intimadate
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Thunder Wave
Protect

Okay, so first of all you want to get those delete unnecessary commands.

The most obvious problem on the team is your hitmontop. Hitmontops' roll in the current meta-game is not the offensive pokemon you've made it out to be, hitmontops' roll is actually the paramount intimidate user in the tier this coupled with its' access to fake-out and 50/95/110 defenses means it can take almost every hit from the most common attackers. However the set you've chose to run doesn't even have it's main selling point intimidate, so I recommend you run this set.

Hitmontop - 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpDef ----> 248HP/176Atk/84SpD
Adamant - Life Orb - Technician ----> adamant - fighting gem - intimidate
Wide Guard ---->
Wide Guard/detect
Fake Out ----> no problems here
Aerial Ace ----> close combat
Mach Punch----> sucker punch

The next big problem I see with your team is brelloom having to fighting types on the same team is very risky as your stacking up weakness intensified by the fact that it is very frail, would you be open to considering running spore+rage powder amoonguss although it is very slow it can operate the same job as you listed for brelloom more reliably due to its' far superior bulk.

The rest of the team looks good, though I personally would hp grass on zapdos to allow it to hit gastrodon harder. Also provided the opposing team doesn't have a defiant abuser gyarodos and hitmontop are a very threatening lead to physically orientated teams, because their attack stats are halved before the battle has even properly started.

Hope I helped and good luck.

Chenkovsky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)