SM OU A Sawsbuck Sun Team..?

Hey-o, it's a person you've never heard of before with a new SM OU team. A team with... mixed results, shall we say. In some games, it absolutely annihilates people, and in others, loses within the first 2 minutes. I wanted to make a Sun team, purely because I haven't seen any at all during my time (low level) laddering, and it made me quite sad. Whilst you still can't use the mega awesome Venusaur set w/ Chlorophyll and Weather Ball (basically makes it a stab), I realized that half the metagame is focused on speed, so why not just outspeed... everything.
1539349138206.png

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat

- Hex
- Solar Beam

Ninetales is my Sunny Setter; it's purpose is to survive long enough to sustain the sun so that the team can sweep any fast threats. There isn't too much to say here, because there is no real alternative that isn't useless when it's done setting the sun; Mega Charizard Y obviously can't hold a Heat Rock, and Torkoal is, well, Torkoal. It's built so that it can take out any lesser threats (slow with a type disadvantage), but I'll typically retreat it if something dangerous switches in.

1539349578262.png

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Synthesis

Venusaur is the heavy lifter of the team; if you mess up before hand, you can normally fix it with Venusaur. It has enough speed to outspeed a D-Dance'd Mega Charizard X or Gyarados (Mega or otherwise), but it really can't take a hit from Char-X; it's only hope is to break even with it by using Sludge Bomb, dealing a minimum of 67%; the Charizard-X will typically go for a Flare Blitz (because of the Sun + STAB + Super Effectiveness + Tough Claws), and dies to the 35% hp recoil. With HP Ground, it can also inflict some major damage to Heatran, although can only OHKO if it isn't invested in SpD or Hp, or if it's weakened beforehand. Venusaur is a very nice check to Greninja, as it outspeeds it unless the Greninja uses Water Shuriken, which does a maximum of 25% in the Sun with Choice Specs as Ash-Greninja. Unfortunately, Toxapex walls Venusaur relatively well, requiring 3 solar beams to kill (not accounting for recoveries in between).

1539350330621.png

Sawsbuck-Summer @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aromatherapy / Double Edge
- Stomping Tantrum
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick

I think I can guess what you're thinking right now: 'What the ****?!' Don't be fooled by this Pokemon's reputation and appearance, however, as it is actually pretty powerful. Once again, it has enough speed to outspeed D-Dance Char X, Mega Alakazam, Greninja, etc, and with Life Orb, it can inflict some major hits. This set is highly modifiable, depending on your needs; Sawsbuck has some decent moves, and I simply can't decide which ones to put in the main set, so I'll give you a run down: Aromatherapy is what I usually use, because the team is highly susceptible to Thunder Waves (and though it isn't the end of the world normally, because of Chlorophyll, it's a pain), but Double Edge could be pretty effective as it has a high BP and STAB. Stomping Tantrum is used because Sawsbuck (unfortunately) can't learn Earthquake, and a ground type move is much needed against electrics - on this set, it could be removed because Jump Kick can do some of what it can do (other than OHKOing Heatran). Wild Charge could also be put on this set, most likely replacing Jump Kick, in order to 2HKO Toxapex and deal better with rain teams, and Megahorn could replace Stomping Tantrum to deal with the pesky Psychic types.
1539351264689.png

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire -> Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave / Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb

Houndoom Mega is something that I'm really not too sure about. I went for Houndoom Mega because I originally had Charizard with a Life Orb and Solar Power, but it really wasn't fast enough and took a ton of damage from rocks; the only Pokemon on the team that was actually threatened by rocks. I may go with Mega Charizard X or Y in the future (Y as a backup Drought setter and X as a D-Dance sweeper), but this is what I'm using for now. Houndoom-M can hit like a truck with Heat Wave or Flamethrower, both of which have their advantages. It can setup on Pokemon like Serperior, as it outspeeds it and doesn't take too much damage from it's Leaf Storm, whilst being able to deal a killing blow in return. Sludge Bomb is to deal with any faries, though if I'm honest, they're the least of my worries with this team.
1539351700565.png

Volcarona @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swarm
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

Another Pokemon that I'm not too sure about; Volcarona is meant as the emergency sweeper, if Ninetales goes down and the Sun ends, because it has a Choice Scarf, so it doesn't rely on sunny weather to outspeed Pokemon. Interestingly, it has the same speed as the Chlorophyll Pokemon, just with reduced bulk (and choices). Its moves are to give it as much coverage as possible, with Fiery Dance as it's main STAB attack. It has Swarm because it appreciates it more, as it's more likely to get a flukey survival and have boosted Bug Buzz (and more useful) than a lucky Flame Body burn, which doesn't really have a use in the situations that this Volcarona would be used in.

1539352162420.png

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

When I started this team with Charizard, I very early realised that I needed a Defogger, because otherwise Ninetales would certainly die after a few switch ins to sustain the weather, and because Stealth Rocks is just a general annoyance. Mew is only here for Defogging, and could probably be replaced with something better, but at the time I couldn't think of anything for the team and thought what the hell.

Yes, I know this team (really) needs work. That's why I'm here; I'd very much appreciate some tips for this team, it being my first weather team, and especially ways to deal with other weather teams (specifically, rain). Thanks.

Hello! Finie here, and your team seems quite interesting so far, but I have a few changes I think you should implement:

MAJOR CHANGES:
  • Change Ninetails to Torkoal; Torkoal can serve as a rapid spinner giving you another option to deal with your crippling weakness to SR and is a lot tankier than Ninetails. Furthermore, Torkoal can also serve as your rocker and can take a Flare Blitz from a +1 ZardX and up to 3 Earthquakes. I understand that you think Torkoal is useless after it's done setting sun, but it really does serve to deal with some of the major weaknesses your team has. This is the set I'd recommend running:
    • soop (Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
      EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
      Bold Nature
      - Lava Plume
      - Stealth Rock
      - Rapid Spin
      - Toxic
  • Change MegaHoundoom to ZardY; ZardY serves as a secondary sun setter with Drought in case Torkoal gets KO'd, furthermore with a Defogger and a Rapid Spinner, it helps check ZardY's weakness to SR. You can also run 3 Attacks + Roost in order to recover after switching into Rocks if necessary, considering that if you play it right the opponent's mon will be forced to switch out.
    • Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
      EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
      Timid Nature
      - Flamethrower
      - Focus Blast
      - Solar Beam
      - Roost
  • Replace Sawsbuck with Leafeon; while both aren't great mons, if you really want to go with an underrated mon, Leafeon has a higher attack stat, Cholorophyll, and Swords Dance. Using either Normalium or Grassium Z on it, and it has a guaranteed chance to OHKO or 50% to 2HKO Pex. It does struggle against Heatran, which is admittedly where Sawsbuck does better, but it does hit harder overall. If you do choose to keep Sawsbuck as a Heatran check, replace Aromatherapy/Double Edge with Swords Dance, and give it a Fightnium Z.
    • Leafeon @ Grassium Z / Normalium Z Ability: Drought
      EVs: 252 A / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
      Jolly Nature
      - Swords Dance
      - Leaf Blade
      - Knock Off
      - Double Edge

MINOR CHANGES:
  • Change Volcarona's moveset and item; try running Bulkarona, your team seems like it could use it (but to be fair I'm not too sure.) The set I usually use is down below:
    • Volcarona @ Leftovers
      Ability: Flame Body
      EVs: 200 HP / 184 Def / 124 Spe
      Timid Nature
      - Fiery Dance / Flamethrower
      - Quiver Dance
      - Roost
      - Bug Buzz

I hope you have fun!
Finie​

• Replace Sawsbuck with Leafeon; while both aren't great mons, if you really want to go with an underrated mon, Leafeon has a higher attack stat, Cholorophyll, and Swords Dance. Using either Normalium or Grassium Z on it, and it has a guaranteed chance to OHKO or 50% to 2HKO Pex. It does struggle against Heatran, which is admittedly where Sawsbuck does better, but it does hit harder overall. If you do choose to keep Sawsbuck as a Heatran check, replace Aromatherapy/Double Edge with Swords Dance, and give it a Fightnium Z.
    • Leafeon @ Grassium Z / Normalium Z Ability: Drought
      EVs: 252 A / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
      Jolly Nature
      - Swords Dance
      - Leaf Blade
      - Knock Off
      - Double Edge
Leafeon can handle Heatran if you use Z-Dig over Double Edge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)