A Spot in the Sun [Sun]

This is my first Generation V team. It's more or less like most other Sun teams out there, but since it's my own, I figure it should get some attention.

The Team:

Ataru (Ninetales) (F) @ Chesto Berry Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SDef / 164 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Substitute

The typical sun-team lead. She's meant to be as bulky as possible for maximum longevity, hence I'm using ChestoRest. I'm considering replacing Substitute, which I never seem to use, with Hypnosis instead.

Ai (Venusaur) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Growth
- Sleep Powder

Everyone's favorite Chlorophyll abuser. Growth runs like a charm in the Sun, but she seems to fare alright against other weather inducers. Next to Ninetales, this is the Pokemon I'm definitely going to keep on the team. Even though Growth also raises attack, I don't think I really need physical capability with this guy.

Hikaru (Victini) @ Choice Band
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- Brick Break
- U-turn

The Fire-type sweeper. V-create is simply ridiculous in the sun at 270 power. It pretty much decimates everything in its path. In fact, it almost OHKO'd a Steelix with 200 base defense. Fusion Bolt and Brick Break are great for dealing with Politoed and Tyranitar as well as providing great type coverage in general. U-turn is for scouting and quick escapes if I switched in wrong.

Mika (Dragonite) (F) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 108 HP / 164 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Dragonite is such a great combo of bulk and offense. Thanks to her defense and Roost, I can get in a few Dragon Dances that can faint quite a few Pokemon. Fire Punch also works great in the sun. However, with three other Pokemon with Fire-type attacks, I'm not using it that much. I only wish Multiscale Dragonite had access to Ice Punch instead.

Olivia (Snorlax) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Snorlax is ready for another go at Special Tanking in Generation V! This is more or less the same moveset I had last generation and it's still working pretty well, especially against ghost and psychic types. Basically, Snorlax absorbs all special attacks thrown at her like a...tank. Basically, she just switches in, tries to paralyze, and outlasts her opponent.

Aska (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Rapid Spin

This is a combined technician/rapid spin set. I picked Hitmontop because I needed a spinner who didn't have the rock-type weakness that three other Pokemon of mine have. I originally picked Excadrill, until I realized that it only works in sand teams. But not only does Hitmontop spin like a champ, he hits pretty hard with base 90(?) Mach Punch. Sucker Punch is for all those pesky Pokemon that resist Mach Punch. I do like Hitmontop's special defense, but I feel like it's a bit redundant with Snorlax on hand.

Problems:

- Other weather teams: These are going to always be a problem for a sun team, as basically you can't send out Ninetales until the other weather Pokemon is dead.
- Pokemon I noticed I have a lot of trouble taking out: Blaziken (banned on Smogon, but not on other servers), Infernape, Gliscor, Garchomp
- Types I have trouble with: Ground, Rock(!), Dragon

Possible Changes:

This is what I'm considering trading out Dragonite for:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse

DD/Roost is nice, but not only would this pokemon reduce my team's weakness to rock, I would have increased coverage against Ground and Dragon, two types I'm having trouble with. Three fire-types is a bit much, but I have Venusaur and Snorlax to deal with water-types. Also, Victini can hold her own against them with Fusion Bolt.

Note: Are my pictures too large? This board seems to have a picture resizing option while posting, but it doesn't really seem to work. I can resize them if I need to.

Keep dragonite, or bulky waters would wall you. As it is, cloyster would decimate your team with ice shard and surf once snorlax goes down. I'm not too sure what would be a good solution, just thought i'd bring it up.

Your team looks alright - but a few nitpicks. On Tales yeah Sub isn't needed since you aren't abusing it, consider Overheat+Power Swap to fill that slot to cripple SpAttackers.

On Venusaur I've always been of the opinion that it's pointless to put something to sleep when you could be killing them outright - use Sludge Bomb over Sleep Powder and only Heatran, Chandelure at 70%+ health and Blissey will stop a +2 Saur, literally. Max speed is unecessary too, drop it to perhaps 220 to beat ScarfChomp?

On DNite I'd go for a bulkier spread since you seem fine with having 2 attacks, try this, the first set from the analysis:

name: Bulky Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
ability: Multiscale
nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe

Gives much better chance of multiple boosts and Lefties helps mantain Multiscale if you come in on a weak attack.

Swap Body Slam for Return on Lax and try a CB set imo, since that's much more constructive to Pursuit-trapping things, and will allow you to deal far more damage.

If you want a spinner other than Top go for Donphan - Ice Shard to revenge, decent offensive and defensive capabilities and reduced water weakness in sun, as well as Sturdy and SR for your team to abuse.

EDIT: Glad I could help.

Hello, nice team you have there! But since I can just give you a quick tip, here it is:
Its about venusaur, I suggest that you make it a mixed Growth sweeper.
Change Sleep powder for Earthquake, so heatran nor fire types give you much trouble.
With EQ, HP fire, Energy ball/power whip, only Dragonite, Salamence, Hydreigon and Moltres (the ones I can remember off the top of my head) resist this combination.
Good luck!
EDIT: Sorry about my english haha, its not my mother language!

@Benlisted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I've made all the changes you've suggested and the team has been working out great!

Keep dragonite, or bulky waters would wall you. As it is, cloyster would decimate your team with ice shard and surf once snorlax goes down. I'm not too sure what would be a good solution, just thought i'd bring it up.
Not if he traded dragonite for sawsbuck who is probably one of the best chlorophyll abuser.

Scarf Heatran could be used in replacement with dragonite of victini. ScarfTran kills Cloyster in this weather. None of +2 cloyster's moves OHKO heatran, meanwhile Heatrans Fire Blast, or even Lava Plume OHKOs cloyster after, or evn before, a shell smash.

Scarf Heatran could be used in replacement with dragonite of victini. ScarfTran kills Cloyster in this weather. None of +2 cloyster's moves OHKO heatran, meanwhile Heatrans Fire Blast, or even Lava Plume OHKOs cloyster after, or evn before, a shell smash.
I think I will try Heatran. Thanks.

Another option instead of Venusaur is Vileplume.

Vileplume@Big Root
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 80 HP/ 252 Sp. Att/ 176 Sp. Def
Nature: Modest/Gentle
-Giga Drain
-Ingrain
-Toxic/Sludge Bomb
-Venoshock

Modest or Gentle depends on whether you want power to bring yourself more health back or more bulkiness. Toxic if you want instant Poison or Sludge Bomb if you wanna wreak some havoc and cripple at the same time. Venoshock does massive damage after your opponent is Poisoned. And also, it gets the Speed boost from Chlorophyll. If you're too close to Venusaur, you keep it, this is just a suggestion. I'm also currently building a sun team. Ninetales is fun with Nasty Plot and Hex if you can get in a burn with Will-O-Wisp or a Fire-type move. I'd take away either Flamethrower or Will-O-Wisp for SolarBeam, which requires no charge in the sunlight and provides coverage against Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types.

And your pictures are a little huge, just animated sprites would've been enough... ^^;

If you compare Venusaur and Vileplume's stats you'll see why Venusaur is used and Vileplume is not - Venusaur outclasses Vileplume in almost every possible way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)