SM OU A Stereotypical SuMo Balance Team, With Some Spicy Necrozma

Hello everyone! I was experimenting with various teams built around the "Big 3" of the OU meta right now (MegaGross, Tapu Lelele, and Lando), and I found a teamcomp that supports them quite well! Take a look:

Mega Metagross

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Probably the most popular Mega in the meta right now, MegaGross is a common sight on the OU ladder. The main team building choice that comes with this guy is what coverage you want to run. I went with Earthquake and Ice Punch in the end, but it was a tough decision. Bullet punch is fantastically useful to revenge kill glass cannons, but too often I found my own Tapu Lele's psychic terrain messing with me.

Garchomp

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

ScarfChomp, my revenge killer extraordinaire. This is just a stereotypical scarf set, but its stereotypical for a reason. It kills weakened enemy Leles and Kokos, and Fire Fang eats through Ferro and Scizor. I may replace Outrage with Poison Jab, since Earthquake already fills the role of strong STAB, and getting locked out of switching often costs Chop his life.

Tapu Lele

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The premiere wallbreaker of the OU meta, Tapu "Pls don't suspect me" Lele is pure destruction in an adorable little butterfly-shaped shell. There are frighteningly few Mons that can comfortably switch into a Speced Psychic on Psychic terrain, although annoyingly, Greninja's prominence provides for an easy answer if the opponent knows that you're scarfed. Thanks to terrain, priority isn't an option for dealing with her either. Shadow ball lets me revenge-kill enemy Leles, and HP fire is there to melt the silly Scizors that think that just because they're steel types, they can kill this fairy.

Necrozma

Necrozma @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Power Gem

Ahh, the interesting one. Necrozma is a useful switch-in for the team. It's HP and Def investments, coupled with Prism Armor, are built so that you can switch into something like a U-turn from Greninja or Pheromosa, and then blast whatever comes out with your Weakness Policy (and maybe Psychic terrain) boosted Psychic. Power Gem is coverage to kill Charizards, Weaviles and... actually, that's about it. It's mostly run for coverage against dark-types, and because Necrozma doesn't have any good options to replace it. Dark pulse, but that almost hits less than power gem. Rock polish and automotize would be devastatingly powerful alongside a weakness policy boost, but that would leave Psychic as the only attacking move. Moonlight helps with recovery, and rocks are mandatory on basically every team. One other problem with this set is that, with it's lack of speed, it often has difficulty capitalizing on its WP boosts. Putting EVs in speed would cost Necrozma precious bulk, and as I've already discussed, running a setup move just hurts its utility too much. I'm definitely open to any advice you guys have on this set.

Landorus-Therian

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 88 Def / 28 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Double-dance Landorus is a potent presence, both offensively and defensively. Intimidate lets it switch in against a number of physical attackers like Zard-X, Mega Pinsir, and Zygarde that otherwise threaten a lot of this team. I took Continental Crush over Supersonic Skystrike because it's one of this team's only outs to Celesteela, and even then only when boosted. Additionally, after the z-move is expended, I prefer Stone Edge to Fly as an attacking move.

Tapu Fini

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

Even without defensive investment, Tapu Fini walls and sets up on threats such as Ash-Greninja and enemy Tanky Finis. Taunt helps it beat stall, and the Misty Terrain lets Fini and your other grounded mons function without fear of T-wave or Toxic. Most people come in expecting a tankier Fini set, and are taken off guard when I start setting up with Calm mind or nuking their Landorus with Surf.

Two of the biggest threats to this team are any hazard abusers, and Celesteela. This team lacks a Defogger/Spinner. I've tried out a more utility set on Fini, but without Calm Mind the team has issues with Stall strategies. Celesteela is a huge pain in the poke-arse to deal with, especially physically defensive variants. I'm usually forced to go out to my Landorus, and try to set up on them, building up to a Continental Crush, but in the meantime the Celesteela can wear down Lando with leech seed, and if they protect the Z-move or burn with flamethrower, it can be game over then and there. Dropping a coverage move on Megagross for Tpunch helps, but it doesn't always work, and even when it does dropping a coverage or STAB move hurts various other matchups just as much.

So, that's the team. Thoughts? Suggestions? Biting personal attacks? Leave them all in the comments below!

Vague

Banned deucer.
->

hi, so this team isn't half bad but there are some 'mons on your team that are pretty redundant or need a bit of optimization. for example, necrozma just really doesn't do much for your team at all considering it overlaps quite a bit with tapu lele, which is vastly superior as an offensive psychic-type. so a quick and easy change that helps quite a bit with your issues is tapu koko > necrozma. tapu koko's vast speed is a godsend for your team as it helps with the offense matchup while also matching up nicely against most hazard setters bar ferrothorn, beating celesteela / generally weakening steels, and furthering the amount counterplay you have against bulky water-types (and the matchup was pretty poor at first). triple fairy is kinda pushing it especially considering greninja, but koko and garchomp are decent enough counterplay for it considering it's lack of viable switch-ins and tapu fini and garchomp is decent for stopping ash-greninja. don't get complacent though as they are still huge threats.
Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

you lacked stealth rock and they're pretty mandatory due to the limitations they place on the opposing team. an easy fix for this would be defensive landorus-t > double dance. the loss of a sweeper is manageable (besides I have a solution) seeing as defensive lando's qualities are very appreciated seeing as how you had no way of stopping a few psychic attackers like excadrill, garchomp, marowak, etc besides soft checking. it also makes a nice volturn core with tapu koko which helps keep up momentum. smack down is a decent option too if you like to pressure rotom-w, celesteela, and skarmory more beyond the countermeasures you now have. mega metagross could possibly run rock polish > ice punch if you'd like another form of counterplay against offense bar scarf garchomp and koko or you could even use thunder punch > ice punch to assist with tapu lele sweeping by pressuring celesteela / skarm. overall, rock polish seems to be the best option to run here since zen headbutt already hits bulky grounds hard even when under psychic terrain.
Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 32 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Smack Down
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

to condone for the loss of necrozma and any from of setup with the following change, calm mind > specs tapu lele is nice here. it absolutely demolishes stall and bulkier teams with the utmost ease while also functioning as a more functional threat towards other team archetypes with with the freedom to switch moves. tapu fini should run defog set > calm mind since it's great for maintaining longevity and helping with your matchup against spikes stacking teams. taunt + nature's madness is what i usually run regardless of team composition since it's, simply put, the best set you could run on fini. moonblast is really a downgrade compared to nature's madness which chips away at everything.
Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

i hope these suggestions help you out in future battles!

->

hi, so this team isn't half bad but there are some 'mons on your team that are pretty redundant or need a bit of optimization. for example, necrozma just really doesn't do much for your team at all considering it overlaps quite a bit with tapu lele, which is vastly superior as an offensive psychic-type. so a quick and easy change that helps quite a bit with your issues is tapu koko > necrozma. tapu koko's vast speed is a godsend for your team as it helps with the offense matchup while also matching up nicely against most hazard setters bar ferrothorn, beating celesteela / generally weakening steels, and furthering the amount counterplay you have against bulky water-types (and the matchup was pretty poor at first). triple fairy is kinda pushing it especially considering greninja, but koko and garchomp are decent enough counterplay for it considering it's lack of viable switch-ins and tapu fini and garchomp is decent for stopping ash-greninja. don't get complacent though as they are still huge threats.
Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

you lacked stealth rock and they're pretty mandatory due to the limitations they place on the opposing team. an easy fix for this would be defensive landorus-t > double dance. the loss of a sweeper is manageable (besides I have a solution) seeing as defensive lando's qualities are very appreciated seeing as how you had no way of stopping a few psychic attackers like excadrill, garchomp, marowak, etc besides soft checking. it also makes a nice volturn core with tapu koko which helps keep up momentum. smack down is a decent option too if you like to pressure rotom-w, celesteela, and skarmory more beyond the countermeasures you now have. mega metagross could possibly run rock polish > ice punch if you'd like another form of counterplay against offense bar scarf garchomp and koko or you could even use thunder punch > ice punch to assist with tapu lele sweeping by pressuring celesteela / skarm. overall, rock polish seems to be the best option to run here since zen headbutt already hits bulky grounds hard even when under psychic terrain.
Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 32 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Smack Down
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

to condone for the loss of necrozma and any from of setup with the following change, calm mind > specs tapu lele is nice here. it absolutely demolishes stall and bulkier teams with the utmost ease while also functioning as a more functional threat towards other team archetypes with with the freedom to switch moves. tapu fini should run defog set > calm mind since it's great for maintaining longevity and helping with your matchup against spikes stacking teams. taunt + nature's madness is what i usually run regardless of team composition since it's, simply put, the best set you could run on fini. moonblast is really a downgrade compared to nature's madness which chips away at everything.
Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

i hope these suggestions help you out in future battles!

Thanks for the suggestions! I did some testing with the revised team and ended up keeping most of the changes, with a few tweaks of my own. I kept the Koko set just as you suggested. I tried out Life Orb for a while instead of Zap Plate, but the original set worked out better most of the time. Switching the Lando set made sense once I got rid of my Necrozma, but I kept MegaGross as-is. Ice punch is hugely important coverage against Lando, Chomp, and Zygarde to get rid of, since it lets Megagross kill so many of its usual checks. If anything, I rarely find myself using Zen Headbutt, so I'll be experimenting with various replacements for that in the future (polish, bullet punch, tpunch). The Celesteela matchup is much improved by the presence of Koko, so any additional changes are largely unnecessary IMO. Calm Mind Lele has been putting in a lot of work, as has defensive Fini, although I am using Surf over Scald because there are very few mons that care about being burned, but ignore misty terrain. Triple Fairy did seem like a liability at first, but the entire rest of my team beats out both steel and poison types, so I haven't run into any real difficulties in that department.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)