A team

I love playing in RU but I've struggled building teams with much success. I made a team that I think might be decent, but I recently found out about this section of the forum so I figured I'd see what other people have to think. All criticisms are greatly appreciated!

Team building process:

I usually just start a team off with a viable Pokémon that I want to use, and in this case it happened to be the fearsome Fletchinder! With Swords Dance and Priority Gale Wings at its disposal I figured I'd have a lot of fun using it!

The next Pokémon was kind of a no brainer for me. Fletchinder hates Stealth Rock and Fletchinder hates water moves. Blastoise can get rid of Stealth Rock, and while it can't really do much to a bulky Water-type outside of Toxicing it I felt it was still a good choice to pair with Fletchinder.

Fletchinder and Blastoise don't appreciate Electric-types very much. I originally considered Mega Steelix for this role but I ultimately decided to go with Dugtrio in order to stop the Electric-types from switching out a continuing to be a pain down the road for my team.

Fletchinder isn't a very fat Pokémon, and I didn't want to have to sacrifice Pokémon in order to give it a free switch in. A slow momentum user was necessary, and I decided to go with Eelektross because it has nice coverage, it has no weaknesses, and it helps the electric weakness that I mentioned earlier.

I wanted something that just kills something whenever it's sent in, and I decided to go with Tyrantrum. Head Smash is stupid strong and not taking recoil damage from a move that strong is very nice. Oh and it gets other moves, I guess...

The last Pokémon was kind of tricky for me to come up with. My team really doesn't have much dedicated bulk outside of Blastoise and I wanted to change that. Also my team has no hazards. I could've put Stealth Rock on Dugtrio but it's incredibly frail and I needed it to live so it can kill Electric-types, and I didn't want to stop Tyrantrum from killing things in order for it to put up Rocks. Then I looked at Roselia. It doesn't get Stealth Rock but it does get Spikes, and getting up some layers of Spikes I thought would be nice to help Fletchinder cleanup.

The Sets!

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Def / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Standard Fletchinder set is standard. Gale Wings so Acrobatics has priority. No item + Acrobatics because Fletchinder isn't a very brave bird and can't use Brave Bird. Swords Dance so I can set up predicting an opposing Pokémon to switch. Will-O-Wisp in case burning something is necessary. Roost so if we have to switch in with rocks on the field or by some miracle Fletchinder lives a hit I get some HP back.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect

Blastoise is here to get rid of rocks and Toxic some walls. Max HP and Max Defense so Blastoise can take the hits. I made it so the Attack IV was 0 just so Blastoise takes less damage from Foul Play or if it gets confused it'll hurt itself less. Scald is there because Scald is life. Rapid Spin for hazard removal. Toxic so I'm not 100% walled by the likes of Alomomola or other Blastoise, and Protect to stall out a bit more Toxic damage and gain some Leftovers recovery.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Memento
- Stone Edge

Dugtrio is here to trap Pokémon that threaten my team and make sure they can't do any big damage to the team. The Focus Sash is so I'm not killed by a Choice Scarfer that I need to kill. Max Speed and a Jolly nature just so other Dugtrio can't come in and kill me without risking the Speed tie. Earthquake is Dugtrio's hardest hitting move. Sucker Punch to get a quick kill on a scarfer or a Pokémon trying to hit me with priority. Stone Edge because Flying types like Fletchinder and Aerodactyl would be able to come in on Dugtrio and make me switch without it. And Memento just in case I don't think Dugtrio can kill a Pokémon and it'd be better for it to weaken it so Fletchinder can come in and set up a Swords Dance.

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

I wanted slow momentum and Eelektross provides that. The Assault Vest is so it can take special hits better and be able to provide the slow momentum longer. Max HP to help it live hits better and Max Sp. Atk with a Modest nature to make it hit as hard as possible. 0 IVs in Attack for the same reasons as with Blastoise. Volt Switch is there for the momentum reasons. Thunderbolt just for general STAB. Flamethrower for the Grass-types. Giga Drain for the Ground-types.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Earthquake

As stated before, Tyrantrum hits stupid hard. So I figured I'd make it hit even harder by making it Choice Banded and Adamant Max Attack. Those Head Smash will kill just about anything that doesn't resist it. Outrage, Superpower and Earthquake are for the things that Head Smash doesn't kill.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

I needed hazards and I needed a good defensive partner for Blastoise, and Roselia is able to take the hits that Blastoise can't nicely. Standard defensive spread for RU Roselia, 0 IVs in Attack yet again. Spikes for the hazards my team needed. Synthesis for general longevity. Giga Drain for more longevity. Sludge Bomb is STAB and has a chance to poison something in case I can't get Blastoise to do it.

As stated before all criticisms on the team are greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to help me out!​

Attachments

hi nice team! Here's a rate:
  • Mega Steelix > Dugtrio
In general, your team has a weakness to tyrantrum as head smash 2HKOs the entirety of it. Steelix provides a hard check and also helps with your lack of stealth rock, and assists through offensive pressure as well as a defensive pivot. This mon also stops volt turn while possessing a greater longevity than dugtrio and threatening more mons. Sash Dugtrio does not really help the team as much, as electrics that you hope to trap with it can be chipped with damage from offensive pressure on your team such as tyrantrum, and venusaur.
  • Venusaur > Roselia
This would definitely benefit your team as Roselia is fit for more stallier builds than what your team is designed for. Venusaur also soft checks a multitude of electrics, fightings, can switch in a variety of bulky water mons like alomomola or seismitoad and threaten them. It also has good synergy with blastoise, and has a greater offensive pressure, that combined with tyrantrum and eelektross, can pressure a variety of water, grass, ground, and fairy mons. Synthesis also gives it a similar longevity to roselia.
  • Choice Scarf > Choice Band on Tyrantrum
Scarf tyrantrum helps your team more than band as it functions as a revenge killer more than a wallbreaker, which is needed on your team, as all the mons are quite slow. It addresses threats such as LO special flygon, venusaur, and electric types in general. Also superpower > earthquake lets you hit mons like mega steelix, registeel, zong, rhyperior, etc for more damage.
  • Refresh > Protect on Blastoise
this definitely improves blastoises longevity as it IS essential on this team to keep hazards off the field to support fletchinder. Also refresh helps it in 1v1ing mons like alomomola and other toxicers.

Here are the changed sets/mons!

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Refresh
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Superpower

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, nice team you've got, but I can see some flaws that can give you an hard time playing with it. First you lack of Stealth Rock, which are really useful in general and can help you to pressure more your opponent. Then you have many problem with psychic and dragon types, since you have no resists.

Steelix over Dugtrio like Chakra suggested is a good change because it helps you with the stealth rock problem and is a nice check to psychic and dragon mons. With this change unlucky you keep to be weak to Flygon and Medicham. Aromatisse over Eelektross is another change you might appreciate. Aromatisse will give Blastoise and Steelix a decent amount of HP with his high wishes, and it will let you check Flygon and Medicham pretty well. It will also help you againist Houndoom too, which seems threatening as well.

This is all, all the other Chakra's suggestions are good as well :) I hope this helped you, good luck with your team :3

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)