A thought on soloing.

We've all done it before, whether it's intentional or not. That one Pokemon we use for everything, so it winds up getting the bulk of the experience. It could've been that Charizard that's got so many levels it can take on water types (just because you wanted a Charmeleon to be ready for Brock), the Butterfree that's been holding its own just because it's had psychic moves in its movepool.

Odds are - we've all, at one time or another, had a team of L78,L42,L30,L15, HM slave, HM slave when walking into the Elite Four.

Some of us have even tried L80 + HM slaves. My girlfriend, for example, did a HeartGold run not too long ago using only her favourite Pokemon - Lapras. The battle against Red was amazing.

So, it's theoritically possible go walk through the game using a single Pokemon, as long as you've got enough levels, right?

then it dawned on me...what about Shedinja? Is THAT possible?

And so, Smogon, I pose the following challenge to whomever is willing to accept it. these are my restrictions;

1) Choose a game, 3rd gen and above. I'd like to see it done in any gen, and I'll be attempting this myself.

2) import a Nincada egg - level to 20, and grab yourself that Sheddy.

3) start pwning gyms. L20 against Gym1 sounds easy, but remember - it's usually a rock gym...1 hit, and you're dead.

4) no revives. if your Sheddy dies, it's a whiteout. no using HM slaves to revive/take hits. if you see that Sky Attack charging, you may NOT switch your cutting Ratatta into it.

5) don't even TRY to just import in a zillion Focus Sashes. you will NOT have time to load in as many as you'll need. find another way.

Of course, some stuff may be tough to impossible. Wanna get through the desert, or fight Red? Rain Dance may well be a necessity...have to fight a Sharpedo or Forretress to continue? maybe some non-contact moves would be optimal...Enemy Machop has Foresight?...ok, maybe that's a boon, but that's not the point...

And so, fellow Smogonites, I present this to you. Beat a game using a single Shedinja. Good luck, and I await the results (and possibly warstories) of anyone stalwart enough to attempt this.

it's a shame Sheddy doesn't have access to Bullet Seed...maybe hatching it with Giga Drain would allow passage past Roxanne?

or evolving at 38 (yikes!) for Metal Claw?

or using Double Team instead of Sand Attack?

Seems more tedious than challenging to be frank. If you want to trade any TMs to it, I'd recommend Shadow Ball over Giga Drain. Should strike Nosepass harder too. Double Team is out of the way unless you want to be tremendously overlevelled for the first gym.

you have to be L20 to get a Sheddy in the first place anyways...may as well snag Double Team off the evolving process.

Silver Wind might be worth some consideration as well, since why-the-hell-not.

Moving up a gen, you might be able to muscle through Falkner by breeding Night Slash on...and it might give you an edge against Morty, too...

Moving further up a gen, you shouldn't have much trouble up until Watchog - since I think it has crunch...

Moving further up a gen, you shouldn't have much trouble up until Watchog - since I think it has crunch...
All three triplets have Bite on their Lillipup and Lick on their monkey

I don't think Shedinja is going to solo anything, sadly

You shouldn't have much trouble with anything if you outspeed and OHKO, which entails a lot of tedious overlevelling. So technically a Shedinja solo is possible assuming a very significant level lead. If you search 'shedinja solo' on YouTube, what you will see should mostly solidify this claim.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, with the 5th Gen Games, you cannot trade until you get the C-Gear after the first badge, so you technically cannot really solo either 5th Gen Game with Shedinja without hacking...Unless you are okay with starting the Shedinja run after the first badge/obtain the C-Gear. :/

I think that's generally accepted practice in monotypes, that if needed it starts once trading is possible.

On the question at hand, I don't recommend it in 5th gen. I did a mono-ghost run of Black, and Bite/Crunch seem to be everywhere. Shedinja was among my team too, it ended up just permaholding the EXP Share because it was so hard to train.

I think any attempt to solo with a weak Pokemon is just going to end up an exercise in patience, either the training needed to overlevel it or equipping Brightpowder and SRing for favourable hax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)