Abomasnow + Priority (Peaked #5 @ 1536)

ALL CHANGES ARE IN RED
Hey guys, first RMT here so please forgive me if it's ugly ;(. I'm bringing a hyper-offense team that was initially designed to feature M-Abomasnow. I had no idea it would be as successful as it was at the time, but I'm pretty pleased with what it was able to accomplish in the current RU meta. I wanted to provide M-aboma with as many opportunities to come in and spam blizzard as possible, so I surrounded him with pokes that could help eliminate counters, lure out easy switch-ins for the big man, and finish off teams after they've been weakened.

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 8 HP / 160 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 84 Spe 88 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

M-Abomasnow, despite his low speed, is a very viable poke in RU currently because of his bulk, power, and STAB priority. The EV's are standard, allowing him to reach 117 speed. One of M-Aboma's biggest boons is his ability to slowly chip away or flat out break the common Alomo-lix and Alomo-moongus cores that are on a lot of stall and balanced teams in RU, opening the door for the pokes on this team to finish the job. I opted for Giga Drain over Wood Hammer for a slight form of recovery, seeing as how this offensive team lacks a wish passer. Shifted 4 EV's into Spe to outspeed 117 speed pokes.

Qwilfish: Electric, Ground
Houndoom: Water, Ground
Doublade: Ground
Hitmonlee: :(
Rhyperior: Grass, Water, Ground

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def 200 Def / 4 Spe 56 Spe
Bold Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes/Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Pain Split Taunt

Qwilfish is a great defensive pivot who can switch in on and threaten a variety of physical threats in today's meta such as Doublade (scald/threaten the burn), Cobalion (thunder wave), Emboar (SE scald), Durant (thunder wave), Virizion (thunder wave), and Hitmonlee (thunder wave). He also has the option of setting up spikes or toxic spikes in the face of these threats if they are non-boosting variants. The choice of toxic spikes or spikes is really a preference, but I feel that toxic spikes have been more beneficial because it can help break down certain stall pokes that this team may struggle with. Taunt was added to help break support pokes and prevent hazards. 56 Spe EV's and a Timid nature allows Qwilfish to outspeed suicide lead Omastar, adamant Emboar, and adamant Tyrantrum, allowing for a potential burn/para or a layer of toxic spikes (Thanks Molk!).

M-Aboma: Fighting, Poison, Steel, Fire, Bug
Houndoom: Water, Fighting
Doublade: Fire
Hitmonlee: Fairy
Rhyperior: Fighting, Steel, Water, Ice

Doublade
-1 252+ Atk Doublade Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 66-78 (19.7 - 23.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery
0 SpA Qwilfish Scald vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 63-75 (20.1 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Cobalion
-1 96 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 38-45 (11.3 - 13.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0- SpA Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Qwilfish: 136-160 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Emboar
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 107-126 (32 - 37.7%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
-1 252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 65-77 (19.4 - 23%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery
0 SpA Qwilfish Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Emboar: 152-180 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (plus factoring in recoil damage)

Durant
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 87-103 (26 - 30.8%) -- 4.9% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Virizion
-1 252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 67-79 (20 - 23.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Hitmonlee
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 99-117 (29.6 - 35%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Houndoom
@ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch

Pretty standard Nasty Plot set that provides this team with a solid switch in/counter to non-Focus Blast CM Reuni and standard CM Cress. He also pairs very will with M-Aboma because he is also able to threaten Alomo-lix cores (though not to the same extent), forcing them to continually take damage throughout the match. Sucker punch is a valuable form of priority that this team really appreciates and it forces Dugtrio to play substitute mind games in order to effectively trap and kill it. Hard to say much else about NP Houndoom. It kills teams that aren't prepared for it.

Qwilfish: Psychic
M-Aboma: Steel, Fire
Doublade: Ghost, Fire, Dark
Hitmonlee: Psychic
Rhyperior: Grass, Ice, Steel

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Another standard poke that fits this team very well. It provides spin-blocking support as well as priority and a great late-game win-con and an additional counter to CM Cress and Reuni (if Reuni runs Focus Blast --> Doublade, if it runs Shadow Ball --> Houndoom). Doublade's ability to sweep (or function in general) is severely hindered by Alomo-lix, which makes it a great poke to group with M-Aboma and Houndoom. Two relatively common switch-ins to Doublade, Qwilfish and Alomo, both provide easy switch-ins to M-Aboma, further expanding his role on the team.

Qwilfish: Psychic
Houndoom: Fighting, Rock
M-Aboma: Fighting, Flying, Poison, Rock, Bug, Steel, Fire
Hitmonlee: Psychic, Flying, Fairy
Rhyperior: Grass, Fighting, Steel, Ice

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Hitmonlee provides offensive rapid spin support as well as excellent wall-breaking ability with its ridiculous HJK. Knock Off threatens Doublade, Slowking (HJK + Knock Off KO's), Cress, and Reuni (HJK + Knock Off has a chance to KO after leftovers assuming favorable damage rolls). Hitmonlee is also capable of breaking through standard Alomo-lix (be mindful of protect) if he is given a free switch opportunity. As if all this wasn't enough, he also offers one of the most powerful forms of priority in RU with his boosted Mach Punch that can help clean up weakened pokes late game.

Qwilfish: :(
Houndoom: Rock
Doublade: Dark
M-Aboma: Poison, Rock, Bug
Rhyperior: :(

252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 352-415 (70.2 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 330-390 (93.2 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

SWAPPED HARIYAMA FOR RHYPERIOR

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 236 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Using Rhyperior over Hariyama mitigates a huge Fletchinder weakness while also providing a reasonable check to Houndoom and Exploud. He also provides the team with Stealth Rock support, something it was missing before. The EV's are standard, but with 8 additional EV's in Spe that allow it to outspeed 117 pokes. Megahorn deals huge damage to Slowking and Cresselia, though the latter provides a bit more prediction as Cress outspeeds and is immune to EQ. Rhyperior also provides an electric immunity, which is useful for choice-locked electric types like Jolteon and Rotom-C.

Qwilfish: Electric
Doublade: Fire
Hitmonlee: Flying
M-Aboma: Flying, Poison, Bug, Rock, Fire

16+ Atk Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 176-208 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 248 HP / 76 Def Slowking: 282-334 (71.7 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Offensive Threats:
Sticky Web: Sticky Web is rough on this team because one of its main abusers (Exploud) causes this team a lot of problems. I am using a frail spinner as opposed to a bulky flying defogger, so it makes it very difficult to get a spin in, especially since most teams are using something like Doublade as their spinblocker. Thankfully this team has a heavy amount of priority and a few timely t-waves by Qwilfish can render certain pokes useless. While I technically did not lose to a Web team while laddering, they were some of the closest matches.

Meloetta: This thing is an absolute pain. My experiences versus Melo have been against simple offensive 4 attack sets as opposed to Sub CM, but the fact of the matter is, nothing really switches in depending on what moves it has. AV Hariyama is 2hko'd by Psychic and OHKO'd by Psyshock. Hitmonlee is outsped by timid variants and OHKO'd before it can hit with Knock Off. My only real bet is to get some prior damage and revenge kill with Houndoom, but if it happens to be running AV, that plan no longer works. This poke is one of the reasons I opt for t-spikes. I need to continually wear it down throughout the game, not just when it switches in and out.

Tyrantrum: Both scarfed and banded Tyrantrum cause issues for me for different reasons. The scarfed set can be switched into by Qwilfish at least once or twice per game, but it still outspeeds my entire team and hits like a truck. On the other hand, I have no safe switch-ins for. Even after intimidate, Head Smash is an easy 2HKO. My only bet against Tyrantrum is try to limit its switch opportunities and get some chip damage until end-game. If I see a Tyrantrum of any sort, Hitmonlee and Abomasnow become extremely important.

Any ground move ;(: Obviously having 3 out of 6 pokes being weak to something like ground is not ideal, but it's just how this team played out. Surprisingly, I haven't had too many issues with this so far. Dugtrio obviously seems like a big problem on paper, but because of priority I'm able to mitigate his trapping abilities to a certain extent, at least in early- to mid-game. Hitmonlee can Mach Punch for 72-85%, Doublade lives an EQ and can OHKO with Iron Head in return, and Houndoom has a chance to OHKO (with a bit of prior damage) with Sucker Punch. Obviously Sub on Dugtrio is very common, but you just have to do the best you can at that point.

Exploud: This thing is a threat on just about any team not running Regirock (well, you know there's Focus Blast too). Similarly to Meloetta and Tyrantrum, I just need to mitigate its switch-in opportunities by staying offensive and clean it up with priority late game. One downfall to Qwilfish is letting this thing in virtually untouched, minus paralyzing it.

Defensive Threats:
Quagsire + Escavalier: This can be a pretty frustrating core for this team to take if the opposing team has a switch in for Houndoom. M-Aboma cannot break it down because of Escavalier's bulk + Rest. Toxic Spikes help alleviate some of the issue in terms of Quagsire, but overall my best bet is to try and chip away at the supporting teammates until I can get Hitmonlee or Houndoom in on Escavalier. He can potentially OHKO Escav and 2HKO Quagsire on the switch. Houndoom can potentially do the same thing with a combination of Fire Blast + Dark Pulse assuming some prior damage.

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 8 HP / 160 Atk / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Taunt

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 236 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Thank you so much for taking the time to read/rate this RMT! Hopefully it was worth your time and you gained something out of it. If not, I wasted 2-3 hours typing it up, so I guess we're even. Nonetheless, if you have any suggestions for the team please feel free to post them, I'd be happy to hear them. I definitely don't have all the answers.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

This last spot has really been the toughest one to fill. I tried both Rhyperior and Emboar, but neither were capable of countering Houndoom effectively, which this team desperately needed. I opted instead for AV Hariyama, and I've been happy with the results, but I'd be more than willing to try something else. He laughs at Houndooms attacks and can retaliate back with an OHKO. He also provides dual priority (albeit pretty weak) for late-game and Knock Off to hit Doublade/Cress/Reuni (CC + Knock Off has a chance to KO Reuni assuming decent damage rolls). The Speed EV's allow him to outspeed pokes who run 117.

Qwilfish: :(
Doublade: Dark, Fire
Hitmonlee: :(
M-Aboma: Poison, Rock, Bug, Fire

Last edited:

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hiiii I recommen Houndoom spread be

name: Trapper
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Crunch
ability: Flash Fire
item: Life Orb
evs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Hasty

Hiiii I recommen Houndoom spread be

name: Trapper
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Crunch
ability: Flash Fire
item: Life Orb
evs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Hasty
What would having Houndoom as a trapper bring to the team? Both Reuniclus and Cress take relatively low damage from pursuit and they're better off used as Nasty Plot set up bait in my opinion. Not knocking it, just curious of how you think it would help :). I see that it could help with Meloetta potentially and that seems pretty interesting to me, but not sure if it's worth losing the threat that is NP Houndoom.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What would having Houndoom as a trapper bring to the team? Both Reuniclus and Cress take relatively low damage from pursuit and they're better off used as Nasty Plot set up bait in my opinion. Not knocking it, just curious of how you think it would help :). I see that it could help with Meloetta potentially and that seems pretty interesting to me, but not sure if it's worth losing the threat that is NP Houndoom.
Oh lol didn't see NO nice and blind then yeah the team is good

Have you considered taunt on qwil because tr reuni looks like it could do some decent damage to your team mid to late game if it managed to get in on qwil? You could probably handle it with all the priority anyway I suppose. Cool team by the way.

Have you considered taunt on qwil because tr reuni looks like it could do some decent damage to your team mid to late game if it managed to get in on qwil? You could probably handle it with all the priority anyway I suppose. Cool team by the way.
I have but the issue is Qwilfish's terrible 4MSS ;/. At this point I've been lucky enough not to run into Trick Room Reuni, but taunt is a great utility to have in general. Which skill would you recommend replacing?

Edited because I'm stupid.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haven't run into CM reuni? And you peaked 5? Damn. Anyway, have you considered running a suicide spiking Qwilfish? The team is already HO with a spinblocker, it seems like it'd fit on better. Most of the things you want it to beat you already deal with fairly well for offense, such as emboar having to predict doublade/Yama, Doublade for coballion and durant, and houndoom for doublade (which also can't set up on anything and doesn't get a free switchin to almost anything).

Haven't run into CM reuni? And you peaked 5? Damn. Anyway, have you considered running a suicide spiking Qwilfish? The team is already HO with a spinblocker, it seems like it'd fit on better. Most of the things you want it to beat you already deal with fairly well for offense, such as emboar having to predict doublade/Yama, Doublade for coballion and durant, and houndoom for doublade (which also can't set up on anything and doesn't get a free switchin to almost anything).
I actually like the idea of suicide lead a lot, I may try it out. Could open up free turns if they're forced to defog.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 342-404 (93.9 - 110.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hitmonlee: 444-524 (184.2 - 217.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 408-482 (95.1 - 112.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Houndoom: 232-274 (79.7 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Qwilfish Scald vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Fletchinder: 182-216 (59.6 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(but it gets burned on the switch and is easy to get rid of anyway)

Doublade is set up fodder

suggestion: sucker punch over knock off on hitmonlee because you need mach punch for houndoom; OR use Rhyperior instead of Harriyama. Mach Punch + Rhyperior + hazards should be more than enough for Houndoom. you need stealth rock anyway

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, this looks like a pretty interesting team.

First off, i totally agree with Arikado that your team has some problems with Fletchinder, as of now, it can smack around most of your team with priority Acrobatics, and can permanently cripple/wear down the only two things that you have on your team that are capable of taking one (Doublade and Qwilfish) quite quickly with a well timed Will-O-Wisp on the switch. The fact that the current version of your team doesn't have Stealth Rock doesn't really help much with that either. Outside of that, one other potential problem for your team is Swords Dance Drapion, especially varients that carry Earthquake. If Drap can get an SD against any member of your team, the only thing you can really do is pray to win the speed tie with Houndoom, or it'll easily grab a few KOs, if not cleanly sweep your entire team. If Drapion is carrying a Lum Berry, it isn't afraid of getting crippled by Qwilfish's Scald or Thunder Wave either x__x. Because of this, i agree that Rhyperior is worth trying on this particular team, given it helps check both of these Pokemon, provides Stealth Rock support, and gives Exploud (another threat you mentioned) a reason to think twice about simply using Scrappy Boomburst to pick up a free KO. However, you should keep in mind that this means 4/6 of your team is now weak to Earthquake, which i could see being a big problem sadly :[. If Rhyperior doesn't work out for you, Physically Defensive Seismitoad is another option you could consider that still checks Drapion, Houndoom, and Fletchinder, while aso checking common users of Earthquake such as opposing Rhyperior and Mega Steelix. However, it doesn't resist Boomburst like Rhyperior does.

I also agree with trying out Taunt on Qwilfish, most likely over Pain Split or Thunder Wave. I absolutely love Taunt on Qwilfish given how many Pokemon it can simply shut down (a few examples below), and i honestly can't remember the last time i used a Qwilfish without it. However, if you do this, i'd also suggest that you add some Speed creep to get the most you possibly can out of it. 8 Speed EVs with a Bold Nature lets Qwilfish outspeed and Taunt standard Custap berry Crustle, 96 Speed EVs with a Bold nature lets you Taunt Suicide Lead Omastar and outspeed Max Speed Adamant Emboar so you can get an extra hit/extra layer of Spikes off on it. 56 Speed EVs with a Timid Nature lets you outspeed Max Speed Adamant Tyrantrum so you can get extra layers/fish for a burn with Scald/Paralyze it more easily, and because you mentioned issues with Sticky Web teams, 96 Speed EVs with a Timid Nature lets you outspeed Max Speed Kricketune so you can Taunt it before it can set up webs or try and Taunt you. Leavanny is still an issue here though. Lastly, whenever i use Qwilfish, i usually either use dual Spikes or just Spikes, but to each their own if you feel like using only Toxic Spikes is better for your particular team :).

Last but not least, another way you could shield yourself from Exploud's Boomburst (and Choiced Meloetta's Hyper Voice, although non choiced varients such as the one seen in llamas's RMT have become more common as of late). Is to try out Soundproof on Abomasnow. This makes Abomasnow completely immune to Boomburst as long as it hasn't mega Evolved yet, giving you a way to discourage Exploud from spamming it (although switching in directly is of course risky), and a great way to punish the opponent for doing so if they do. Abomasnow's ability changes back to Snow Warning once it Mega Evolves as well, so it's not like you're missing out on the Hail or anything.

Hope i helped! If you have any other questions just let me know.

Last edited:
Hey dude, this looks like a pretty interesting team.

First off, i totally agree with Arikado that your team has some problems with Fletchinder, as of now, it can smack around most of your team with priority Acrobatics, and can permanently cripple/wear down the only two things that you have on your team that are capable of taking one (Doublade and Qwilfish) quite quickly with a well timed Will-O-Wisp on the switch. The fact that the current version of your team doesn't have Stealth Rock doesn't really help much with that either. Outside of that, one other potential problem for your team is Swords Dance Drapion, especially varients that carry Earthquake. If Drap can get an SD against any member of your team, the only thing you can really do is pray to win the speed tie with Houndoom, or it'll easily grab a few KOs, if not cleanly sweep your entire team. If Drapion is carrying a Lum Berry, it isn't afraid of getting crippled by Qwilfish's Scald or Thunder Wave either x__x. Because of this, i agree that Rhyperior is worth trying on this particular team, given it helps check both of these Pokemon, provides Stealth Rock support, and gives Exploud (another threat you mentioned) a reason to think twice about simply using Scrappy Boomburst to pick up a free KO. However, you should keep in mind that this means 4/6 of your team is now weak to Earthquake, which i could see being a big problem sadly :[. If Rhyperior doesn't work out for you, Physically Defensive Seismitoad is another option you could consider that still checks Drapion, Houndoom, and Fletchinder, while aso checking common users of Earthquake such as opposing Rhyperior and Mega Steelix. However, it doesn't resist Boomburst like Rhyperior does.

I also agree with trying out Taunt on Qwilfish, most likely over Pain Split or Thunder Wave. I absolutely love Taunt on Qwilfish given how many Pokemon it can simply shut down (a few examples below), and i honestly can't remember the last time i used a Qwilfish without it. However, if you do this, i'd also suggest that you add some Speed creep to get the most you possibly can out of it. 8 Speed EVs with a Bold Nature lets Qwilfish outspeed and Taunt standard Custap berry Crustle, 96 Speed EVs with a Bold nature lets you Taunt Suicide Lead Omastar and outspeed Max Speed Adamant Emboar so you can get an extra hit/extra layer of Spikes off on it. 56 Speed EVs with a Timid Nature lets you outspeed Max Speed Adamant Tyrantrum so you can get extra layers/fish for a burn with Scald/Paralyze it more easily, and because you mentioned issues with Sticky Web teams, 96 Speed EVs with a Timid Nature lets you outspeed Max Speed Kricketune so you can Taunt it before it can set up webs or try and Taunt you. Leavanny is still an issue here though. Lastly, whenever i use Qwilfish, i usually either use dual Spikes or just Spikes, but to each their own if you feel like using only Toxic Spikes is better for your particular team :).

Last but not least, another way you could shield yourself from Exploud's Boomburst (and Choiced Meloetta's Hyper Voice, although non choiced varients such as the one seen in llamas's RMT have become more common as of late). Is to try out Soundproof on Abomasnow. This makes Abomasnow completely immune to Boomburst as long as it hasn't mega Evolved yet, giving you a way to discourage Exploud from spamming it (although switching in directly is of course risky), and a great way to punish the opponent for doing so if they do. Abomasnow's ability changes back to Snow Warning once it Mega Evolves as well, so it's not like you're missing out on the Hail or anything.

Hope i helped! If you have any other questions just let me know.
Hey Molk, I really appreciate your response. As of late I have been trying out Rhyperior as well as taunt over pain split on Qwilfish and I'm enjoying the results. I will look into adding some speed creep, most likely finding which speed tier will still allow me an optimal amount of bulk for the teams needs. I will also switch to Soundproof, and lately have been opting for Hidden Power Fire over EQ to help break down common stall cores that involve Escavalier. Do you feel I'm losing any valuable coverage with this switch? On paper it seems like a great plan. Thanks again! Can't wait to get back on the ladder.

yo

this is a cool squad, as evidenced by its moderate success and rather substantial input for an ru rmt, and it's definitely cool to see new users getting involved in the tier (or you're maybe a regular in the ru room, and i'm terribly out of touch, in which case i'm terribly sorry haha). i'd like to preface this by saying that i agree with molk's changes as a whole, given i discussed a bunch of it to some capacity with him. rhyperior > hariyama seems to cover up a bunch of issues the current build has (in spite of my appreciation of hariyama as a 'mon, props for that), and the remaining techs are quite nice as well.

most of the team's current flaws can be traced to a common theme of being grounded, if not weak to ground attacks entirely. this opens the team up not only to forcing aggressive play in order to restrict the free turns of such ground-types (since a user can generally throw earthquake with stealth rock up on your side to yield results), but also a significant hazards weaknesses as a whole, a point only slightly mitigated by hitmonlee (who i don't consider to be a very consistent spinner rn).

as i see it, there are two methods of addressing this issue, one requiring more aggressive / offensive play than the other. this method would involve the use of a faster, taunt qwilfish, running a spread of 252 hp / 160 def / 96 spe @ timid (enough to outpace kricketune, thereby allowing it to prevent sticky webs from going up), as a means to better prevent hazard concession, and utilizing a lunar dance cresselia in lieu of hitmonlee, which would serve to both even out the team's performance (lunar dancing up relevant offensive or defensive 'mons to fit the circumstances) and provide you that needed ground immune to play off of.

the more defensive approach that i see as an option would be the use of phys.def mantine > qwilfish, which would compress ground immunity, hazard removal, and a secondary durant check in one slot. this would also help even out your houndoom situation, given your bulky water would no longer have 0 special bulk. with this change, i would consider the use of a more specially-based abomasnow, running mild nature and focus blast > earthquake, as the necessity to catch specially-based fire-types on the switch becomes starkly lower, while hitting cobalion becomes a fair amount more significant. with that, of course hitmonlee becomes fairly extraneous, making it something worth seeking replacement for. personally, i would consider sd drapion, since it allows for a tspike absorber that benefits notably from m-aboma's ability to bait in cobalion, though i'll leave that to your digression.

sorry for such an amorphous rate haha. hope some of my comments were of use to you, and best of luck in the future

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 52 SpD / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Lunar Dance

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the team ratings! I've changed the team up a bit based off of some of this feedback and I'm very happy with it. I'll try to update this post tonight with the new and improved version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)