Abomasnow (QC 0/1)

/* I don't believe that Abomasnow is worth using without a MEVO stone. However, I'd like input from the QC staff on this. */

Abomasnow.png
Abomasnow-M.png

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Mega Evolution has amazing mixed offensive stats.</li>
<li>Typing gives it key resistances to Water-, Ground-, and Electric-type moves, and an immunity to Spore.</li>
<li>Great ability that summons Hail gives it a 100% accurate Blizzard.</li>
<li>Low speed can be used to its advantage with Trick Room support.</li></ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>Typing gives it many common weaknesses, making it's bulk somewhat insignificant.</li>
<li>Hail is no longer permanent.</li>
<li>It is extremely slow without Trick Room support.</li>
<li>Walled by Steel- and Fire-types.</li></ul>

[Mega Evolution Set Recommendations]

<h3>Mega Mixed Sweeper</h3>
<p>Abomasnow @ Abomasite<br />
Ability: Snow Warning<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpA / 48 Atk<br />
IVs: 0 Spe<br />
Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe)<br />
- Blizzard<br />
- Wood Hammer / Energy Ball<br />
- Ice Shard<br />
- Protect</p>

<p>This set works best with Trick Room support to take advantage of Mega Abomasnow's low speed. Blizzard is Mega Abomasnow's most powerful attack and has perfect accuracy under hail. Wood Hammer is preferred in the second slot to help KO any Assault Vest and specially defensive Pokémon such as Tyranitar, but Energy Ball is another option if recoil is undesirable. Ice Shard is to guarantee KO's on low health opponents, and Protect is in the last slot for guaranteeing a free turn while dealing Hail damage. Earthquake is an option over either Ice Shard or Protect to KO Mega Mawile at low health, but it's generally situational and inferior to the two other moves.</p>

<p>The EV spread gives Abomasnow good bulk while maintaining a threatening offensive presence. 48 Atk Ev's gives Wood Hammer enough power to OHKO bulky Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Assault Vest Tyranitar. If using Energy Ball, the EV spread can be altered to 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Atk for more damage output. A Brave nature can be used instead to guarantee more KOs with Wood Hammer and Ice Shard, but the drop in power from Blizzard is noticeable. An alternate EV spread of 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4HP can be used as well to deal more damage overall, but the loss of bulk hurts survivability from priority moves.</p>

<p>Good partners to this set are Pokémon who can provide Trick Room and deal with opposing Fire- and Steel-types. Chandelure is an excellent partner because it provides Trick Room, is immune to Fighting-type moves and can deal with Steel-types. Other good Trick Room setters include Reuniclus, who is immune to Hail, and Slowking, who can heal hail damage with Regenarator. Pokémon who have good synergy with Abomasnow include Talonflame, who doesn't mind Trick Room with priority Brave Bird and can take care of Mega Mawile and Escavalier outside of Trick Room, and Rotom-W, who has STAB Hydro Pump to take care of Fire-types as well as burn physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Mega Abomasnow struggles against Steel-types and Fire-types. Mega Mawile puts a full stop to Mega Abomasnow because it is slow enough to benefit from Trick Room, can take any hit from Mega Abomasnow, and OHKOs with Iron Head. Escavalier and Scizor can KO with Mega Horn and Bullet Punch respectively, and also benefit from Trick Room. Bulky Chandelure can survive any hit and OHKO with Fire Blast.</p>

<p>Mega Charizard Y and both formes of Tyranitar can change the weather and force both formes of Abomasnow out, but the former takes heavy damage from Blizzard and the latter need to watch out for Wood Hammer. Talonflame can OHKO with priority Brave Bird regardless of Trick Room, but it won't enjoy getting hit by Blizzard. Ice shard will also hit before Brave Bird under Trick Room and KO Talonflame should it be at low health. Fighting-types can KO Abomasnow with Close Combat or Mach Punch, but they all need to watch out for Blizzard.</p>

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm allowed to post here.. but how about Earthquake on Abomasnow? The combination of Ice/Ground has amazing coverage, Earthquake hits the Steels and Fires (that don't have Levitate or Flying-type) that would normally resist your Dual-STABs :P

I dont think you should name the set 'Trick Room Attacker' since it doesnt have trick room. That should go on the description. On a side note, sweeper is a cooler word ;)

Thanks, edits have been made.

Earthquake doesn't do much to Scizor nor Escavalier, though it takes a chunk out of Mawile. Problem is, they can strike back;
48 Atk Mega Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 158-186 (51.9 - 61.1%)
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 474-560 (147.6 - 174.4%) - OHKO
--
42 Atk Mega Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 95-112 (27.6 - 32.5%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 312-368 (81.2 - 95.8%) - 2HKO
--
42 Atk Mega Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Escavalier: 90-107 (26.1 - 31.1%)
252+ Atk Escavalier Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 422-500 (109.8 - 130.2%) - OHKO
The only one that Abomasnow wins all the time against is Excadrill, and even then Blizzard does about the same amount of damage;
42 Atk Mega Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 284-336 (66.9 - 79.2%)
252+ Atk Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 178-210 (46.3 - 54.6%)
As for Fire-types, the ones that are most commonly seen atm are Mega-Charizard Y and Talonflame, both of who are Flying-type as well.

Aside from that, running Earthquake gives up either a free turn with Protect or guaranteeing a KO with Ice Shard. I just edited it in and gave it a mention though, as the damage it deals isn't bad for weakened Steel-types, but IMO I'd rather have one of its teammates taking care of those threats.

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
no you were right the first time, earthquake is pretty bad on abomasnow; the original set is basically the optimal one.

I wouldn't say Abomasnow needs constant TR support, since it's mostly bulky enough to take care of itself as long as there are no fire-types on the field, but its low speed is a definite con if you're using it without TR. Other than that, your analysis looks like it hits all the points—great job! one thing to note though is that only the pros and cons can be in list form—everything else must be written up.

Okey dokey, I've done some edits today;
  • Pwnemon is correct, I removed slashes of EQ in the moveset. It still has a small mention in the comments, as getting past low health Mega Mawile isn't bad, but otherwise it's use is situational.
  • Also gave a mention to a possible Brave nature: Wood Hammer becomes a nuke with it even with 48 Atk EVs, but is otherwise inferior to the sheer damage of Blizzard hitting two opponents.
  • Changed the format to paragraph, except for pros and cons.

This makes no sense. Mega Mawile is still slower than Mega Abomasnow if Trick Room is up, so it's not going to OHKO it with Iron Head in that scenario.
I should've clarified; Mega Mawile can take whatever Mega Abomasnow throws at it (even EQ) and can OHKO with Iron Head. I fix'd the OP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)