Pokémon Absol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Knock off has been discussed, but its illegal to have it without losing play rough.
Yeah, but it's Knock Off. Even if you have to sacrifice coverage, it's still a fantastic move, especially with that amazing speed. You won't believe how easily Mega Absol's Knock Off cleans up at +2.

Last edited:

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
I've been having success with this set:

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast/Will-O-Wisp

You may think I'm crazy, but this set works remarkably well. For starters Klefki, Sableye, Mandibuzz and Ferrothorn can't do a damn thing back and become complete set up fodders, especially if you burn them:

0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 59-69 (17.6 - 20.6%) -- possible 5HKO
4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 121-144 (36.2 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk burned Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 60-72 (17.9 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO

This Absol can also absorb the omnipresent and obnoxious Knock Off with little consequence:
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 73-86 (21.8 - 25.7%) -- 2.5% chance to 4HKO

If Azumarill, Mega Mawile or Togekiss try to switch on this they either get 2HKO'd by the appropriate move or crippled by WoW. If Clefable or Sylveon switch in you Baton Pass to an appropriate check/counter. Ditto for Conkeldurr - even if you burn it on the switch you can live a Mach Punch if it's running Assault Vest:
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 224-266 (67 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can run other special attacks like Dark Pulse or Ice Beam, but Thunderbolt and Fire Blast hit most of Mega Absol's switch-ins for SE damage.
You can also forego Baton Pass but not running it is kind of a waste since it has Magic Bounce.

Oh and this set completely nullifies SwagPlay teams, which is nice if you're battling on the suspect ladder.
Finally this Absol can also deal with Baton Pass teams if you run Perish Song (obviously don't run Baton Pass if you do).

Edit: Justified might be counterproductive on this set if you're trying to take as little damage as possible from Foul Play, but it can be useful with Baton Pass. If you're not running BP then run Pressure instead.

Last edited:

Absol @ Absolite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast/Will-O-Wisp

You may think I'm crazy, but this set works remarkably well. For starters Klefki, Sableye, Mandibuzz and Ferrothorn can't do a damn thing back and become complete set up fodders, especially if you burn them:

0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 59-69 (17.6 - 20.6%) -- possible 5HKO
4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 121-144 (36.2 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk burned Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 60-72 (17.9 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO

This Absol can also absorb the omnipresent and obnoxious Knock Off with little consequence:
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 73-86 (21.8 - 25.7%) -- 2.5% chance to 4HKO

If Azumarill, Mega Mawile or Togekiss try to switch on this they either get 2HKO'd by the appropriate move or crippled by WoW. If Clefable or Sylveon switch in you Baton Pass to an appropriate check/counter. Ditto for Conkeldurr - even if you burn it on the switch you can live a Mach Punch if it's running Assault Vest:
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Absol: 224-266 (67 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can run other special attacks like Dark Pulse or Ice Beam, but Thunderbolt and Fire Blast hit most of Mega Absol's switch-ins for SE damage.
You can also forego Baton Pass but not running it is kind of a waste since it has Magic Bounce.

Oh and this set completely nullifies SwagPlay teams, which is nice if you're battling on the suspect ladder.
Finally this Absol can also deal with Baton Pass teams if you run Perish Song (obviously don't run Baton Pass if you do).

Edit: Justified might be counterproductive on this set if you're trying to take as little damage as possible from Foul Play, but it can be useful with Baton Pass. If you're not running BP then run Pressure instead.
It all sounds good until u realize it has no recovery at all, and most likely those pokemon u mention wont stay around for him. Do u have replays?

I have to say on the sets, you have to change the trait because it still has its regular ability :P
Just ticks me off a little :( I personally have justified because if I run into a knock offer, I switch into it get justified off and mega evolve :D

My mega is like this:
Absol@absolite (!)
Abillities: justified- magic bounce
Evs: 252 atk /10 spa /116def /116 spdef /10 spd (some pf these evs were not intentional)
Adamant
-sucker punch
-swords dance
-dark pulse
-play rough*
*yes, it can learn it.
Edit: Dark Pulse is temporary.

I just checked in my game; Absol does not learn Dazzling Gleam.

Either way, that set seems good for a recipient. I'll see if I can narrow down the move options (slashitis sucks) and maybe tweak the EVs too, then I'll have it in the OP.
It can learn play rough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wish it wasn't banned on mega absol. They better not ban the play rough/ knock off combo on mega mawile.
It's not banned, it's just impossible to obtain. But, it's easily obtainable on Mawile, so it'll never be "banned."
I know most people know it can learn play rough but I was just saying in case they didn't know.My absol has dark pulse because of the daycare. I am currently looking for a STAB replacement that isn't knock off. Is night slash any good?
Night Slash is decent; it's certainly better than Dark Pulse. But, Knock Off is still preferable.
Knock off has been discussed, but its illegal to have it without losing play rough.
Tbh, the choice is between Knock Off + Superpower or Play Rough. Play Rough is nice, but in my opinion it's not worth losing out on a good STAB move that removes items.

Does Magic Bounce activate on the first turn? If someone used an entry hazard or a status move on the first turn, can Absol bounce it back?

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Magic Bounce activate on the first turn? If someone used an entry hazard or a status move on the first turn, can Absol bounce it back?
Yes, but the problem with Absol it that you can't actually switch it in on a status move in its base form. That's why I like giving it Protect and using it as a lead : both Magic Bounce and that wonderful speed are guaranteed on the first turn (well, second tun, at least). It can therefore Mega on something that would usually force it to switch, like Landorus-T, then switch out, and you'll be able to find more opportunities to send it back in later on a predicted status move or Stealth Rock setup.

Last edited:
I'm kind of confused on how you use it as a baton pass recipient. If you are baton passing a boosted speed stat, how do you ensure that absol survives the hit since most speed boosted pokemon would start moving first? If they baton pass before the attacking pokemon hits, won't it most likely be killed? Unless you used something really slow, it wouldn't really work, would it?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm kind of confused on how you use it as a baton pass recipient. If you are baton passing a boosted speed stat, how do you ensure that absol survives the hit since most speed boosted pokemon would start moving first? If they baton pass before the attacking pokemon hits, won't it most likely be killed? Unless you used something really slow, it wouldn't really work, would it?
Iron Defense Scolipede and Calm Mind Sylveon ensure it will only fall to crits.

Absol @ Absolite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast/Will-O-Wisp

If you don't mind me asking what partners you use along side this? I seem to have trouble finding a proper recipient of the CM boosts...

I use a super luck regular absol. give it a nature that boosts attack at cost of special attack and super luck for ability, ev train in speed and attack, then the remaining on hp, then give it the moves: Night slash, psycho cut, shadow claw, and swords dance or sucker punch in the lost slot. give it the razor claw (or maybe the fang idk) to boost crit chance and crit away, almost always crits.

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I use a super luck regular absol. give it a nature that boosts attack at cost of special attack and super luck for ability, ev train in speed and attack, then the remaining on hp, then give it the moves: Night slash, psycho cut, shadow claw, and swords dance or sucker punch in the lost slot. give it the razor claw (or maybe the fang idk) to boost crit chance and crit away, almost always crits.
couldn't 100% crit chance work on honchkrow which will be better than absol?
Regular Absol isn't good in OU because it is slow and frail. It is easy to force out, cripple with status, or simply revenge kill. The (unreliable) priority in the form of Sucker Punch kind of offsets that but there are much better users of the move such as Mega Mawile and Bisharp (same for honchkrow). Mega Absol has a niche because of its awesome ability and nice speed stat, two traits that are not worth trading for a guaranteed crit on moves with a not-so-impressive base power.

Yeah, but it's Knock Off. Even if you have to sacrifice coverage, it's still a fantastic move, especially with that amazing speed. You won't believe how easily Mega Absol's Knock Off cleans up at +2.
I disagree. While the damage it does to most Pokemon holding items might seem tempting, remember that Mega Stones and any version of Arceus that's holding a Plate would not lose their item, which, if I remember correctly, would only cause Knock Off to have its default Base Power of 65 as opposed to the 90 BP Play Rough has.

Besides, sacrificing coverage is never a good idea, especially on a frail Pokemon like Absol. Not unless you're going for a suicide lead.

I disagree. While the damage it does to most Pokemon holding items might seem tempting, remember that Mega Stones and any version of Arceus that's holding a Plate would not lose their item, which, if I remember correctly, would only cause Knock Off to have its default Base Power of 65 as opposed to the 90 BP Play Rough has.

Besides, sacrificing coverage is never a good idea, especially on a frail Pokemon like Absol. Not unless you're going for a suicide lead.
No, you're wrong. Look up Absol in the OU Analses forums. Me and a few members have made arguments as to why Knock Off + Superpower is far superior to Play Rough + Night Slash. And why are you mentioning Arceus? Absol would never be used in Uber.

And Knock Off still has 97.5, even without knocking off an item. Making it stronger than Play Rough.

Isn't Night Slash 70bp? I'd take a 65bp move that could cost your opponent an item over a slightly stronger move that does nothing. Losing an item can ruin a Pokemon and cripple it, especially those who depend on their items like Conkeldurr.

Isn't Night Slash 70bp? I'd take a 65bp move that could cost your opponent an item over a slightly stronger move that does nothing. Losing an item can ruin a Pokemon and cripple it, especially those who depend on their items like Conkeldurr.
Acutally Knock Off's bp is boosted by 50% when you remove an item, so when you remove an item, knock off's bp for that attack becomes 97.5+STAB making it infinitely better then night slash

Acutally Knock Off's bp is boosted by 50% when you remove an item, so when you remove an item, knock off's bp for that attack becomes 97.5+STAB making it infinitely better then night slash
Yep. Can't see any reason why anyone would choose Night Slash over Knock Off.

Knock off is the best move after Shadow Ball in my opinion.

No, you're wrong. Look up Absol in the OU Analses forums. Me and a few members have made arguments as to why Knock Off + Superpower is far superior to Play Rough + Night Slash. And why are you mentioning Arceus? Absol would never be used in Uber.

And Knock Off still has 97.5, even without knocking off an item. Making it stronger than Play Rough.
One word: Terrakion. It would only take a pittance from Knock Off, and its Attack would be boosted by a level as well. Play Rough, however, is capable of granting your Mega Absol the coverage it would need against it, as well as Hidden Ability Lucario if your opponent is using another Pokemon for their Mega Evolution slot.

Well, if you were running Superpower.... You could use that on the switch to OHKO Terakion or Lucario. Play Rough isn't really necessary, since Superpower covers most of the same pokemon. Especially after Swords Dance.

Well, if you were running Superpower.... You could use that on the switch to OHKO Terakion or Lucario. Play Rough isn't really necessary, since Superpower covers most of the same pokemon. Especially after Swords Dance.
And what about Keldeo? It would also laugh at Knock Off, and I'm not sure Superpower would be enough to defeat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)