Accelerate: «Extreme Speed»

Introduction (feel free to skip)

Hi all, it's been years (quite literally) since I've done an RMT so I thought I might as well do one now. There's nothing too special about this one although it was rank #2 on suspect at some point (I had a legitimate chance at #1 since I got paired with the no.1 guy at the time right afterwards... but played like crap and lost ;~;) but enough about worthless peaks that no one cares about. Let's get on with the team.

Team Building

So I started off with Gengar and Landorus because I wanted to make an offensive team and those two had good typing, affording it a couple of handy immunities, but were also quite potent offensively. Next, I added my favourite core: Azumarill and Garchomp (this also provided me with a good lead and SR). Finally, I needed a Mega so I decided on Tyranitar since it seemed to work well with Gengar absorbing Fighting-type attacks. Bisharp was added for a similar reason I guess. If you notice, every member has an immunity of some sort which was kind of what I was going for (the reason for Bisharp seems unclear since it just doubles up weaknesses with Ttar but hopefully it will become clearer as I reveal the set).

The Team

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick

This is a custom Gengar set that I came up with in gen V but has since lost its effectiveness (increase in the use of Knock Off, a Mega on every team preventing Trick and people being prepared for even stronger Shadow Balls from the likes of Aegislash [suspect pls]). Despite this, it still works quite well although easily the most replaceable member of the team. It's meant to be used as a stallbreaker; primary targets include Chansey and Mandibuzz. If it can remove a key item from an opposing pokemon then it's done its job.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power

I don't usually use a Life Orb on sweepers because of the recoil damage but it works well on Landorus since it gets it for free. An all out attacking set with a modest nature for maximum damage output (I originally had timid but ran into a specially defensive Rotom-W and did less than ~50% so I've changed to modest since). The extra power is helpful against threats like Mandibuzz but be aware that you are slower so don't try and send it in on stuff like Manaphy etc. (a mistake I've made myself, although the opponent switched out).

The reason I use "Hidden Power" rather than "Hidden Power Ice" is because Showdown chooses a spread with a perfect HP and Speed IV (where possible) if you specify the type. Choosing "Hidden Power" lets you specify a custom IV spread. If you notice, I use 0 Atk / 30 Def for HP Ice rather than 2 Atk / 30 Def because of the way the new Hidden Powers work (all of them are now 60 base power). The reason for doing this is best summed as: "Fuck the Swagplay trolls on the suspect ladder". I always use 0 Atk IVs on special attackers because I have actually won a game because of this.

Bisharp @ Air Balloon
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

I use an Air Balloon on Bisharp because it gives it more set up opportunities and prevents it from being easily revenge killed by faster Ground-types like Garchomp and fast Lando-T. This also gives it an extra immunity and means that it doesn't take any damage from Spikes. This is helpful because it can just barely take two Brave Birds from CB Talonflame at full health. This lets me scout the Flare Blitz with Sucker Punch before going for the Knock Off.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 117-138 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

I don't usually like one-time use items but I've found it quite helpful on Azumarill since I use it to check a lot of threats (Greninja, Conkeldurr, Keldeo without Scald, MegaDos and more). Azumarill is such a great utility poke, without which the team would fall apart. It also provides me with a source of priority and can sweep if the opportunity arises.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

My personal favourite Garchomp set to use. Garchomp is another important member of the team and acts as my switch in to Rotom-W. It can also weaken Skarmory / Ferrothorn for Azumarill if given the chance. Btw, against lead Breloom you should Fire Blast first and then SR on the switch, otherwise you will end up with just SR and a sleeping Garchomp and have to deal with a full health Breloom.

4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 200-236 (76.6 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 210-252 (58.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 350-420 (98 - 117.6%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO

I might move 4 SpA EVs into HP just because it doesn't seem to be doing anything for Fire Blast (0 SpA does the exact same amount of damage to Breloom for example). I'd like to hear arguments against this. I've found Rough Skin to be more useful overall than Sand Veil so that stays.

I run two Ground types to check Aegislash and MegaMaw (yes, I do call Mega Manectric 'MegaMan' fyi).

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

And last but not least we have MegaTar. There's not much to say about this unfortunately, it does its job well and can easily clean up late game if it gets a boost. I'm considering running Ice Punch over Fail Edge since I rarely find myself using it, I'd like to get opinions on this please. I put 4 EVs into HP because it seemed to have monstrous physical bulk and special bulk (in sandstorm) so this seemed like the best option. I might be persuaded to change otherwise.

Conclusion

Well, that's the end of the team, I hope you enjoyed. Thank you for taking the time to read this and importable below:

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power

Bisharp @ Air Balloon
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Weaknesses

I've found Water-types to be problematic for the team (Azumarill, Keldeo with Scald, Specs Politoed etc.)

Thundurus is another threat especially because nothing likes to lead against it, and if it carries Focus Blast then I have nothing for it.

MegaPin is also a threat I guess

The members I'm considering changing at the moment are Gengar and Landorus, in order to better deal with these threats and more.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-85829622

(might add more later)

so what i would recomend would be for you to drop waterfall for super power / brick break on azumaril, simply because otherwise ferrothorn walls you and if you had a belly drum set up, you just wasted half of your hp and will be forced to switch out

Reactions: Ada

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)