Rejected Add max time to matches

Make a specific time duration for a match, like 30 mins or so like that of in TCG to avoid stalling completely. When the duration ends, the player with more pokemons wins. As simple as that. It's way more reasonable that you think.

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Unlimited time per game is almost the only reason I play on PS! instead of cartridge games, as I like running balance teams that will never end a game in under 20 minutes in cartridge. By putting a timer on games you are just simply making time stalling a better strategy when having the advantage, which of course shouldn't be a thing. Moreoever, you instantly make stall teams to never finish their games as time will run out, so you are nulifying a whole playstyle, which buffs teams weak against it, thus artificially and unnecessarily modifying matchups.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Time rules are terrible and this should be an optional rule not enforced on ladders at most. Speaking from someone who plays a game with absolutely terrible time rules, nothing is more infuriating than getting into a grind game where you're in a winning position and the time rules ruin you because of an arbitrary condition that fails to take into account the context of the game being played. Time rules end up encouraging faster play that can result in uninformed decisions being made that otherwise would not occur, as well as actually stalling to achieve the "more Pokemon = win" condition rather than play to beat them, at least when the time is running around halfway in. These are always proposed by people who get mad at slow or "campy" play and then they realise that "play lame win games" is and always will be the most effective tactic available, and get mad at themselves losing.

If you wanted to implement this right, it would probably come down to what you're proposing, but with an "end the current turn before time is called" clause. Even then, these are generally a very bad idea and punish legitimate strategies with regards to outresourcing your opponent before opening them up for a sweep.

I think these are well-suited for casual play, but the minute you put them into a competitive sphere, you can and will get the opposite of what you want. Besides, who doesn't like seeing some guy call everyone in Lobby into a game going on for 500+ turns? It's hilarious.

EDIT: You could argue this helps with VGC accuracy given the cartridge runs a timer, but I would still be opposed to usage on ladder specifically as it's often used for field testing and learning teams before committing to breeding and whatnot. Thus, you wouldn't impact your in-game rating over having to think too much about your moves, etc, which is normally improved over time through building your schemas via said testing, etc. I haven't worded this well, but you get me, right?

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Theoretically VGC would love this, but it is practically impossible due to the extremely tedious task of documenting the duration of all animations (moves, items, abilities, etc.) in every situation. It's just not feasible to achieve. Officially speaking, if we did have the data, we would implement a total game timer for VGC/Battle Stadium matches. However, a broad change to the timer for Smogon formats would need to be discussed and reviewed in the Policy Review subforum. As others have mentioned here, it is unlikely such a change will have much support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)