Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 120 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch

While it is traditionally known for its offensive prowess in other generations, one of Gengar’s most defining sets in ADV is its fully defensive set. This Gengar, which is commonly seen on balanced teams with Spikes and sand in order to capitalize on its spinblocking ability. Gengar’s unique typing gives it an immunity to Spikes and grounded moves letting it switch into most Skarmory and Forretress sets with impunity, allowing Gengar to harass opposing defensive teams. Thunderbolt + Ice Punch has near perfect coverage in the tier, only missing out on Magneton and the extremely uncommon Lanturn. Most would be switch-ins to Will-O-Wisp such as Celebi and Blissey have their Leftovers negated by the omnipresent sand in this tier. Even though Taunt only lasts 2 turns, with the help of Spikes, this can suffice in chipping common checks to Gengar to an uncomfortable amount of HP, opening a pathway for Gengar’s teammates.

With the given EV spread, Gengar becomes deceptively bulky, and is able to survive a +1 Hidden Power Flying from maximum Attack Salamence and a Crunch from Maximum Special Attack Tyranitar, allowing it to flee from Pursuit and live to spinblock another turn.

Sample Team: https://pokepast.es/26c7b11a3462fd02
Replay from SPL: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-541117

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Hi, we just had a Gengar spotlight and none of the spotlights moderation approved this. Please check in with us before posting these in the future. I will lock this while I discuss what to do with the other staff. Apologies for any inconveniences.

e: after speaking with vapicuno and double-checking the schedule, there's appropriate space between when this goes out and the last gengar spotlight, so i will unlock it

Last edited:

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Add (AC=Add comma, AH=Add hyphen)
Remove (RC=Remove comma, RP=Remove period)
Comments

This is almost 1100 characters with the replay links and such, so idk if it's still valid
anyways 1/1
Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 120 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch

While it is traditionally known for its offensive prowess in other generations, one of Gengar’s most defining sets in ADV is its fully defensive set.(RP) This Gengar ,(AC) which is commonly seen on balanced teams with spikes Spikes and sand in order to capitalise capitalize on its spinblocking ability. Gengar’s unique typing gives it an immunity to entry hazards and grounded moves, switching letting it switch into most Skarmory and Forretress sets with impunity,(RC) allowing Gengar to harass and annoy opposing defensive teams. Thunderbolt and + Ice Punch has near perfect coverage in the tier, only missing out on Magneton and the extremely uncommon Lanturn,(RC). Most would-be(AH) switch-ins to Will-oO-Wisp such as Celebi and Blissey have their Leftovers negated by the omnipresent sand in this tier. Even though Taunt only lasts 2 turns, with the help of hazards, this can suffice in chipping common checks to Gengar to an uncomfortable amount of HP, opening a pathway for Gengar’s teammates.

With the given EV spread, Gengar becomes deceptively (not sure if this is the word u were looking for) decently bulky,(RC) allowing and is able it to take from full health survive a +1 Hidden Power Flying from Max maximum Attack Salamence in a pinch, and guarantees it lives and a Crunch from Max maximum Special Attack Tyranitar at full HP, allowing it to flee from pursuit Pursuit and live to spinblock another turn.

Sample Team: https://pokepast.es/26c7b11a3462fd02
Replay from SPL: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-541117

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey, so, I'm translating this spotlight and I was in doubt about a thing. When it says "Gengar’s unique typing gives it an immunity to Spikes and grounded moves", shouldn't it be ability instead of typing? Because a Ghost / Poison typing giving it an immunity to grounded moves makes no much sense for me.

What I was trying to get at was the combination of Ghost + Poison + Levitate allows it to switch without chip when spikes are up, Toxic from Skarm and EQ + Boom from Forrey which is why I used "unique typing" to encompass the fact that its attributes combined contribute to blanking common spikers.

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Can you please implement my gp check correctly? There are several parts that you forgot to edit, PM me on Discord if u need help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)