ADV OU: Baton Pass Test

ADV Baton Pass Test

It's time to test Baton Pass in ADV. Voting requirements can be obtained via tournament experience or ladder rankings. Tournament experience will resemble requirements from other recent tests by the Old Gen Council. In addition, we will offer a laddering opportunity because ADV has a very active and competitive ladder.

For this Baton Pass test, the ADV council has identified two separate issues. On one hand, there is full baton pass, which generally consists of five setup Pokemon and one end game receiver. On the other, there is Drum Pass, which features Smeargle using Belly Drum and a Salac Berry to pass +6 Atk +1 Spe to an appropriate receiver. We have discussed these issues internally and concluded that there is no good single solution to both these issues. Therefore, we will treat them separately for this upcoming test.

I. Simple bans are insufficient for addressing Baton Pass in ADV OU.

Smogon tiering policy favors simple bans over complex bans. When proposing a complex ban, tiering leaders must show that a simple ban would be insufficient for the problem. Here, we believe simple bans are insufficient for Baton Pass in ADV OU because they are overinclusive, meaning they would ban some legitimate strategies in the metagame by extension.

A simple ban involves banning a single Pokemon, Ability, or Move. We see two possibilities for simple bans. One is banning the move Baton Pass. The other is banning Smeargle.

Banning Baton Pass is very overinclusive. Baton Pass is an integral move in the ADV OU metagame that fits on many different legitimate archetypes. Many lead Zapdos run dry Baton Pass sets, similar to U-turn in later generations. Celebi can dry pass or pass Leech Seed. CM Celebi, SD Celebi, and Agility Zapdos have been somewhat-niche strategies for as long as ADV OU has existed. These strategies have been featured in many notable teams throughout ADV's history, and we feel like they are worth preserving for the future. Banning Baton Pass is not an option.

Banning Smeargle is somewhat overinclusive. Smeargle Spike offense is a relatively rare but recognized ADV OU team archetype. In our view, preserving this strategy is worthwhile for the tier considering its history and official tournament presence. At least four recent official tournament games have showcased this strategy, and they can be viewed below. For these reasons, we believe a simple ban on Smeargle is undesirable for addressing Baton Pass as a strategy in ADV OU.

1. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-450291 (Ojama v. ABR ; Smogon Classic V)
2. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-421490 (Dekzeh v. thelinearcurve ; SPL X)
3. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-339414 (Ojama v. Danilo ; SPL IX)
4. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-355636 (thelinearcurve v. k3nan ; SPL IX)

II. Full Pass

Regarding full baton pass, voters will have the option to vote between:
1. Limit teams to a maximum of three baton pass users.
2. Change nothing.

Ban requirement: 60%+ in favor of limiting teams to maximum of three baton pass users.

The ADV Council has discussed a variety of potential solutions, and we believe this is the best overall option. When pursuing a complex ban, our goal is to balance 1) effectiveness of the solution, 2) simplicity or elegance of the rules, and 3) preservation of viable and healthy strategies in the metagame. To effectiveness, limiting teams to only three baton pass users will almost certainly gut full baton pass. It seems infeasible to sustain a pure pass chain resembling Full Pass with only three Baton Pass users. To simplicity, the rule relatively simple and easy to understand for new players and experienced players alike. Three passers also has some degree of elegance compared to limiting to two or four passers, though that is a very minor consideration. To preserving other strategies, we don't believe any currently viable metagame strategies will be damaged by this ban. One example of a strategy we would want to protect is the Zapdos+Celebi CM Pass species of teams. These teams are healthy for the metagame, and sometimes they come with up to three Baton Pass users.

The most important consideration here is effectiveness. We do not want to revisit Baton Pass ever again in ADV OU. The ADV Council feels comfortable that three baton passers cannot sustain an uncompetitive strategy resembling full pass. However, this statement comes with an unavoidable level of uncertainty. Because no restriction exists for the number of Baton Pass users, teams deliberately trying to abuse three Baton Pass users have not been explored. In light of this, we are open to arguments for limiting teams to two Baton Pass users instead.

III. Belly Pass

Regarding Belly Pass, voters will have the option to vote between:
1. Ban Baton Pass on Smeargle.
2. Do not ban Baton Pass on Smeargle.

Ban requirement: 60%+ in favor of banning Baton Pass on Smeargle.

Applying the same framework above, we believe this is the best solution for the metagame. To effectiveness, Belly Pass is impossible without Baton Pass Smeargle. To simplicity, this rule is relatively easy to apply and understand. New players may not understand the exact motivation for the rule on first glance, but the rule clearly communicates that there is some uncompetitive strategy with Smeargle plus Baton Pass. Furthermore, banning Baton Pass on Smeargle would allow us to drop the BP + Ingrain complex ban thus simplifying our ruleset. To preservation of viable stratgies, the council does not believe we will lose much of value from unexplored CM/SD/DD + Baton Pass Smeargle sets. These sets have been ineffective on the ladder, and they've never seen official tournament play. Therefore we predict any collateral damage to be zero or extremely minimal.

We considered "Ban Belly Drum on Smeargle" instead, but ultimately we conclude that this is more complex. A new player can infer the motivation for "Ban Baton Pass on Smeargle" more easily. "Ban Baton Pass on Smeargle" also allows us to simplify our ruleset by eliminating a different tier rule, which is a very compelling factor.

IV. Qualifications

The tournament-based qualifications are as follows. For SPL, voters must have played at least six ADV games OR won at least three games. For WCoP, voters must have played at least four ADV games OR won at least three games. For ADV Cup, we will take the top eight. Under these requirements, the following people qualify.

SPL: gilbert arenas, thelinearcurve, triangles, eden's embrace, Golden Sun, zf, Alexander, Jirachee, dekzeh, UD
WCoP: Golden Sun, gilbert arenas, cyberodin, undisputed, elodin, melle2402
ADV Cup: Ojama, Lavos, Fakes, McMeghan, elodin, Malekith, meridian, Tamahome

Unique voters (20): glibert arenas, thelinearcurve, triangles, eden's embrace, Golden Sun, zf, Alexander, Jirachee, dekzeh, UD, cyberodin, undisputed, melle2402, ojama, Lavos, Fakes, McMeghan, Malekith, meridian, Tamahome

To qualify via the ladder, players must reach 1500+ ELO and 85% GXE simultaneously. No game cap. The ladder window will last for two weeks 7/28 - 8/11. Submit requirements to me or any council member at any time you fulfill them.

V. Conclusion

Please post questions, thoughts, concerns, or praise. The ADV Council will read this thread and respond thoughtfully to anyone who is genuinely involved in the ADV community or interested in the future of the ADV metagame. Thank you!

Last edited:

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Quick question: why not just ban Smeargle itself. I can't think of many times a move was banned on a single Pokemon. Are there strategies trying to be preserved? Wouldn't banning a move on a single pokemon give precedence to do that in future tiering, such as banning Thousand Arrows on Zygarde or something?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would agree about Banning Smeargle being the best option when it specifically comes to BellyPass, since
  1. It's a simple, Pokemon ban
  2. It adds additional parsimony to the banlist by making the ingrainpass clause superfluous
  3. It still has minimal carnage, since I've rarely seen a serious player use Smeargle lacking IngrainPass (before the ban) or BellyPass.
1 and 2 are pretty obvious. When it comes to 3... I know that I've seen Belly Drum + ExtremeSpeed and suicide spiker sets before... but I strongly doubt that these sets are actually relevant enough to the metagame to add a SECOND complex ban that only affects one mon.

If banning Smeargle itself isn't an option for stopping Belly Pass, then I'd certainly prefer banning Baton Pass on Smeargle to banning Belly Drum on Smeargle, since it rules out both BellyPass and IngrainPass so that it's at least one complex ban not two. While this does ban passing subs or other less extreme stat boosts, I've never seen a Smeargle be effective doing only that kind of baton passing anyway. Zapdos is generally better at passing sub or agility, Celebi better at passing CM, etc.

Tagging you guys as a reply. Shurtugal Bughouse

Re: why not just ban Smeargle?

We agree that this solution has a certain appeal, but it would ban a niche variety of teams that we don't see as problematic. Here are some examples of Smeargle Offense teams from recent official tournaments. We believe these teams are worth preserving in the metagame, and banning Smeargle itself would ban these by extension.

1. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-450291 (Ojama v. ABR ; Smogon Classic V)
2. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-421490 (Dekzeh v. thelinearcurve ; SPL X)
3. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-339414 (Ojama v. Danilo ; SPL IX)
4. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-355636 (thelinearcurve v. k3nan ; SPL IX)

Re: banning BP + Smeargle instead of Belly Drum + Smeargle

We're very open to doing this. When I originally wrote this post, it proposed banning BP + Smeargle. However, we are/were worried about unintentionally banning CM/SD/DD Pass Smeargle sets. Granted, these strategies have never been used in an official tournament, but maybe there's something there that could add to the ADV metagame. For the sake of transparency, our internal vote was 4-3 in favor of what is outlined in the OP, but we don't feel super strongly one way or another. We very well may switch by the end of the test, especially if public opinion is clear the other way.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
The OP outlines that a Drum + Smeargle ban would come to a reasonable conclusion for new players that there's an "uncompetitive strategy with Smeargle + Drum." If I were a new player getting into it, I'd be very skeptical of thinking that 20 Base Atk and Drum is uncompetitive. The real threat is BP + Drum + Smeargle. Given Smeargle's already-existing ban with Ingrain, which is also because of BP + Ingrain + Smeargle, BP + Smeargle is the common uncompetitive trend here. A BP + Smeargle clause would more accurately and intuitively point out what the uncompetitive element is.

To answer to some concerns that have been raised so far.

Of course, no one is happy when they have to resort to a complex ban. It is however sometimes a, tier specific, necessary evil. For instance, the sleep perish song trap ban that the GSC community has unanimously agreed upon. We came forward with these suggestions after a two-month deliberation amongst us which included playtesting of different ban scenarios (we examined by playing simulated teams of the 3 bp rule, taunt + bp, mean look + bp) that would provide different levels of nerf to the strategy in question. In the end, we concluded that the 3 pokemon bp rule would be the most appropriate, given it has been shown to be effective amongst adv communities both in the past (NetBattle 2007-2010) and present (PP) while not having significant collateral to the metagame as the other options would.

Regarding the Smeargle proposition we found ourselves in two camps, the pro-Belly Drum and the pro-Baton Pass camps. Both would involve complex bans which, (while they have precedence in ADV ever since 2011 with no trickle down effect to other tiers) aren't exactly pretty. Like before, we've tested scenarios of alternate Smeargle sets emerging to take the place of Belly Drum. It was decided after a vote amongst us to propose the rule given in the OP. The Baton Pass proposition did have some allure to it however given that it'd be replacing the ingrain Smeargle ban rather than adding another complex ban ontop of it.

It is my understanding that some individuals have expressed their concerns as to the sudden announcement of this test. I wanted to make this post to ensure that you guys understand that we put these suggestions forward after significant deliberation and empirical testing. We also really appreciate the input that we are receiving from the adv community thus far, most of which has been encouraging.

Finally there's a discussion thread set up on the matter given not everyone can participate in PR:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/discussion-thread-adv-baton-pass-vote.3652848/

-----------------------------------
Ref: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/adv-baton-pass-voting.102353/

Drumless BP Smeargle replays for those interested:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-949507292
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-949505119
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-949503300
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-949510962)

Last edited:
The OP has been updated according to feedback. Notable items:

1. We added a section justifying the choice for a complex ban instead of a simple ban.
2. We added a paragraph emphasizing the need for finality when it comes to Full Pass. We don't want to revisit this issue in the future.
3. We switched solutions for Drum Pass. Thank you to Bughouse, Andy Snype , Hogg and others for your constructive feedback!

Finally, to reiterate because there has been confusion, the ladder will open on July 28th. Please register and start laddering on or after July 28th.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As folks have probably seen, I locked the voting thread to review this vote. I wanted to straighten things out, since the ban being discussed was Smeargle + Baton Pass, but the thread was edited back to Smeargle + Belly Drum just before the suspect went up, and the voting thread reflected this change.

While complex bans are sometimes a necessity, they are always something we seek to avoid if possible, especially if there is another low impact solution that can work in its place. In addition to the issues some folks posted on the thread, I also reached out to undisputed and M Dragon privately with my concerns on how the Smeargle aspect of the vote was originally framed and provided some alternatives if the ADV Council wished to move forward with this vote. One of those options was the same that others in this thread mentioned (and one that the council had apparently been considering anyhow): changing the vote to Smeargle + BP and removing the current complex ban of Smeargle + Ingrain. This would effectively serve as an update of the previous Smeargle-related ban, rather than introducing yet another complex ban in an effort to preserve Smeargle. After discussing this potential change, the council agreed and updated the thread accordingly. On July 25, the thread was edited to reflect this, changing the parameters of the test to Smeargle + Baton Pass, and undisputed posted that this change was taking place.

On July 28, immediately before the suspect test officially began, a council member noticed that when undisputed edited the thread, he accidentally removed the reference to the proper ADVBP ladder alts. As undisputed wasn’t online at the time, an smod was tagged to edit that back in. The smod in question, misunderstanding the request, reverted the OP back to its original status (which in turn reverted the OP back to saying the vote was on Smeargle + Belly Drum).

When Asta went to post the voting thread, he saw that the OP had actually stated Smeargle + Belly Drum, and assumed that the change of Smeargle + BP must have been discussed but not actually implemented. Therefore, he posted the vote to be Smeargle + Belly Drum. I’ve reviewed all relevant logs and this appears to just be a SNAFU (and again, one that was initiated by an smod and NOT by the tiering council), not any active attempt to manipulate the vote or the tiering process.

As the vote was intended to be Smeargle + Baton Pass, and the last update in the thread all covered Smeargle + BP, I will unlock the voting thread, and Asta has asked all who previously voted to re-vote under these parameters. I apologize for the inconvenience and the delay. And again, I’d like to reiterate that the confusion in this case was due to a mistake by a non-council member, not the ADV Council.

Thanks to everyone for their patience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)