OU ADV OU Secret Santa 2021

ADV OU SECRET SANTA 2021

a6OoO1q_460s.jpg

A Brief Introduction - these are all of the teams that were submitted from the Secret Santa project. The person listed beside each team is the builder, with the request that they received and built around. These teams are, of course, for the community to use. Please keep in mind that some of these teams are largely untested, while others have been tested thoroughly. This was not an attempt to create the most viable team, but an attempt to come up with interesting new team ideas that could potentially be expanded upon. If you really like a team, make sure to let the builder know! One honorable mention of mine was the team submitted by Abyssal Ruins who went above and beyond with their description and teambuilding process. Some of these people spent quite a bit of time attempting to make a good team, so show them your appreciation. That being said, please enjoy the works of the community!

General Information - As of writing this now, two builders have yet to submit their team. mikmer and I have each made a placeholder teams for the sake of everyone getting a team. These two teams can be found at the very end of the thread. If you, the reader, are interested, you may post a team here following those requests to be saved in place of the two placeholder teams that are saved. A quick shoutout to mikmer who, on Christmas Eve, helped me make teams for potential non-submissions. In my immortal intelligence, I gave them the wrong request, but in their eternal brilliance, they managed to fulfill the actual request without me telling them the correct one. I'd also like to briefly thank Colteor, johnnyg2, and vapicuno for helping make this project possible for everyone.

Team Submissions

johnnyg2 - :salamence: :skarmory: :snorlax: :ludicolo: :tyranitar: :claydol:
Request: Skarmory + Ludicolo
The combination of fire blast and thief help wear down opposing skarmory. Skarmory's set is weird because of how difficult band metagross is for the team. Ludicolo lives two banded mashes outside of sand, and Skarmory has counter to make the matchup more bearable.

Optional changes: there's a decent amount of fighting coverage so dropping drill peck on skarmory/psychic on claydol for protect or rock slide/ice beam to be less weak to salamence. Tyranitar can run something else over rain dance, or run salac, however double weather clear is nice for snorlax and having additional bulk is nice for aerodactyl. Opposing mixmience, choice band metagross, and dd tyranitar are big pains if skarmory is down. There aren't any phazing moves on the team, so going back to thief + roar is an option, but be careful getting skarmory overwhelmed trying to defensively phaze.

RegulaSchmegula/Crenando24 - :metagross: :zapdos: :heracross: :lunatone: :snorlax: :magneton:
Request: Something exciting with heracross
Alternative team: :metagross: :Zapdos: :heracross: :solrock: :snorlax: :magneton:

Jhonx~ - :medicham: :salamence: :suicune: :metagross: :snorlax: :claydol:
Request: Black Belt Substitute Medicham
The paste has choice band medicham because it only works as a lead and can destroy teams when it comes in safely, but you can switch it to a sub black belt set. Band also allows Medicham to OHKO many things that Black Belt doesn't. Salamence takes advantage of Medicham luring Skarmory and other bulky pokemon with focus punch, DD here to allow for a sweep and break through teams. Suicune helps protect medicham and skarmory from physical offense users and protect the team against Tyranitar, while Metagross is the second rock resist being able to trap gengar so it doesnt wall your team and it enables DD Mence to set up safely. Snorlax Curse lets you lure steels + Tyranitar and give more power to selfdestruct. Lastly, Claydol provides rapid spin usage, and it can soft check Zapdos and makes a 3 Boom Offense core alongside Metagross and Snorlax.

mael - :regice: :magneton: :celebi: :salamence: :tyranitar: :metagross:
Request: Lead Regice
Set Details
:regice: lives meteor mash from metagross and rock slide from tyranitar, with protect to scout vs tyranitar.
:magneton: picks off banded metagross and helps trap skarmory for the rest of the team. Many teams rely on tyranitar and metagross taking a hit to handle sweepers like dd mence, dd tar, and agility metagross. By removing them with magneton and regice, you give yourself a 1 up in those scenarios as well as having a mon on your physical offense that provides support vs zapdos / celebi / blissey
:celebi: patches up weakness and provides back up because regice will often die early on. EVs are to provide extra bulk.

Lukee - :registeel: :suicune: :celebi: :salamence: :claydol: :blissey:
Request: Registeel team without Forretress or Pursuit
Team Explanation: Hyperstall is the best option for Registeel without pursuit+forre. Suicune has roar to help cover the calm mind matchup which this team would be otherwise weak to, although Blissey can 1v1 most calm mind users and Celebi worst case can perish song preventing a sweep from the most dangerous calm mind user: sub Jirachi. Breloom would be an issue if it weren't for defensive Salamence. Celebi cannot attack Breloom which make be an issue so the Celebi set could definitely change.
Set Details
:registeel: defense survives two swampert earthquakes from full
:suicune: 12 speed to outspeed other suicunes
:salamence: outspeeds Breloom which this team is weak to otherwise, and lives Blissey ice beam from full
:claydol: 3HKOs celebi with HP bug, defense survives two HP bugs from Tyranitar, the rest in spdf
:Blissey: outspeeds swampert

Abyssal Ruins - :suicune: :steelix: :forretress: :umbreon: :gengar: :zapdos:
Request: Steelix
INTRODUCTION
= = = = = = = = = =
----- Steelix Kinda Sucks

For My secret santa task, i had been asked to build a team around Steelix. As You may know, steelix faces severe competition from other steels or grounds like metagross and Flygon. Steelix Works nicely as a makeshift rock and electric check, but it doesn't soar well in any other Field. I've Tried to build around choice band steelix with its mediocre 85 base atk compared to meta's exceptional base 135, but cb lix fell short of guaranteed KOing matchups like tyranitar and Metagross. Having No lefties on a sand immune mon also hurts vs. teams like spikes + gengar/Zapdos. CBLix Also will not check aerodactyl long term as long as spikes have been set on your Side. Finally, CBLix being locked into EQ hurts vs. mixed salamence and even allows zapdos to take advantage of you (remember that you have the superior typing vs. Zapdos).

Ultimately, I chose to use a standard leftovers wall Steelix. The Longevity and defenses steelix has should allow it to last long in the Game. At The very least, steelix has explosion to trade chipped mons in the Endgame. When Thinking of ideas to build with steelix, i remembered two popular teams that utilized steelix; the first one being UD's ancient GyaraLix team featured by BKC on his youtube channel, and the second being ABR's steelix SkarmMie Aero team that he used in classic finals (i Believe)? Going With those bases, i tried many different variants of physical offense, mixed offense, and spikes teams that utilized Steelix. Those Teams ultimately fell short, as steelix had no way to break through most mons Naturally. Steelix Also has shit speed, and gets taken advantage of by mixed mons (think fire blast mixtar or mixed mence mentioned Earlier). I Really struggled to figure out a way to use steelix without straight up copying the two teams that UD and ABR had Built. Changing One set or a mon just made the team not perform as well as i hoped a steelix team Would. I Decided to build a new team from scratch using my known Observations.

----- Listing Some Steelix Observations

From My observations i've gathered That:
+ Steelix Appreciates a longer game, compared to Meta who has better control using stronger Boom.
+ Use Leftovers and a way to chip (go with few of status/sand/spikes/knock off; any one of These).
+ Steelix Allows you to run a shakier spdef wall aka not named blissey (astarachi/spdef celebi/spdef Zapdos).
+ Steelix Paired with spikes helps so fucking Much.
+ Celebi Switches into hydro/bolt and starmie switches into most mons with fire blast and pressures Back.
- Meta Trades very well, which allows fast threats to clean (jolt/aero/Etc). Steelix Has a tougher time pulling this Off.
- Iron Tail has shit accuracy and doesn't even guarantee ttar/gengar Ohko.
- Steelix Suffers from 4mss. I've Wanted to run all of protect/toxic/block/Roar. You Can't fit all of Them.
- Skarm Sits on the homie all Day.
- Steelix Gets abused by mixed Coverage. Also, Have fun switching into Moltres.

TEAMBUILDING
= = = = = = = = = =
Analyzing My Steelix Build

Okay With those observations listed, now i could start building steelix at Last. Except, As i tested with steelix, i realized one thing that has helped with tackling my steelix Conundrums. You Just have to throw everything against the wall and see what Sticks. Those Observations i listed earlier only came about because of my final team down Below. I Don't know how else to explain my true building process than just to analyze the final Version.

Steelix / Forretress:
- Used Spikes forre because skarm offers a more ABR type build with Aero. However, I wanted to experiment with ForreLix. They Actually pair nicely together since forre doesn't like thunderbolts and lix Does.

Steelix / Forretress / Umbreon:
- I Wanted a pursuiter to mainly chip Gengar. I Didnt like pursuit tyranitar as the team will already have three sitting duck pokes with lix/forre/special Tar. At Least with umbreon, you have a safer switch to gengar, and wish Support. Umbreon Also has a cool role in chipping claydol, which will spin the spikes that forretress sets Up. Tyranitar Doesnt do this as well depending on claydol spread since earthquake Hurts. HP Fighting with spikes helps vs tarbliss with Spikes. I Felt the team had a good matchup vs pert/etc and enough status to not need Toxic.

Steelix / Forretress / Umbreon / Gengar:
- Gengar Has now slowly pivoted into more a more offense breaker on offensive spikes Teams. Back Then, gengar also worked well on most fat balancey Stalls. I Tried to bring that idea back with this fat Gengar. Boom Gar always has its upsides, but double status feels very cool on this Team. You Use this gengar as a disrupter which can soft eliminate a poke with Hypnosis. WoW Chips most shits which helps lix sit on them all Day. Most Teams preseve gengar's health to survive aero rock slides or mence hp flyings or whatever, but playing this gengar aggressively will be key to winning the Game. Not Many stall builds have a threatening mon disregarding setup, but gengar fits the bill with Spikes.

Steelix / Forretress / Umbreon / Gengar / Suicune:
- The Team looked dehydrated, and i always love my water types, so i added cm Cune. This Slot used to be starmie/swampert/milo/etc, but cune threatens ttar decently Well. Think Of linear's cbmence/cune/dol/rachi/bliss/machamp build in last SPL W2; the same idea runs Here. Toxic Helps a lot vs celebi/bliss and helps when you have Rest. Usually, You toxic then rest so that you get a free turn to stay asleep when your opp has to switch out due to toxic Damage. Because Suicune has toxic, i decided roar works on steelix as a last ditch tech vs. Lax/Celebi/Rachi. RoarLix Tanks those mons better than cmcune Can. Sometimes, Cune can feel overwhelmed vs. those Threats.

Steelix / Forretress / Umbreon / Gengar / Suicune / Zapdos:
Having A secondary special/mixed wall would be nice to have an even better time vs. mixed Salamence. This Last slot could be whatever feels Right. I Tested snatchbliss, perish song celebi, heal bell celebi, aromatherapy Blissey. Those Clerics seemed like a good idea since they help suicune's Rest. Ultimately, I decided to use this crazy zapdos Set. One Of the problems i found with my 6th slot involved being free entry for ttar/meta/Mence. With Zapdos, i could have a better matchup vs. those Mons. Now, I found that having mixed coverage on zapdos actually helps vs. celebi/bliss/tar with spikes; however, i still wanted to utilize zapdos's good spdef Bulk. I Then combined mixed zapdos + spdef rest zapdos to create this alien-like gentle natured Zapdos. U Can't always have it all with zapdos, but it'll Do! Defense Didn't seem that necessary on zapdos since i had cune + lix + bulk on Gengar. Of Course, zapdos still tanks meta's mash and All. It Always feels like a good day whenever i can run gentle nature on a Poke.

EVs
:Suicune: 8 speed outspeeds Marowak
:Steelix: took 36 attack from the old smogon analysis, speed helps vs paralyzed aero/some Snorlax
:Forretress: 12 ATK has better odds to ohko magneton than 8 atk
:Umbreon: 150 speed outpseeds some Blissey sets. 16 Atk gives better odds to 3hko bulk invested ttar. Spdf hits jump point and the rest in defense.
:Gengar: 319 beats jynx and you have hypno/fire punch for it. I liked calm gengar in callous invitatoinal so I made my gengar super fat in spdf for pursuit Tyranitar. This gives the opportunity to hypnosis twice. 16 SpA hits 300 which looks cool. I played around with HP and Def but I think they live most rock slide surely.
:Zapdos: put a bunch in spdf, the rest in atk for drill peck and hp fighting. You can take out some spdf to hit 244 speed for Tyranitar, but taking swampert ice beams as much as possible works well too.
Replay: 1 2

Attack on Samurott - :heracross: :zapdos: :gardevoir: :hariyama: :metagross: :celebi:
Request: A Team Built Around Memento
:breloom: :metagross: :weezing: :tyranitar: :swampert: :salamence:
Replays - 1 2 3

5imian - :articuno: :hariyama: :blissey: :tyranitar: :metagross: :starmie:
Request: Articuno and Another Niche Pokemon
The goal of the team is to play similarly to a standard TSS but without spikes. Wear opponents down with sand and the combination of Hariyama's knock until BKC Tar, Mixed Meta, and Starmie clean
Set Details
:Articuno: lives +0 rock slide from Salamence and +1 rock slide from flygon from full, so it serves as a lure for both. However, make sure that Salamence isn't banded before you stay in.
:Hariyama: Special tank
:Starmie: Bulky check with spin
:Tyranitar: BKC Tar is BKC Tar
:Metagross: Mixed Metagross is intentionally mashless to lure suicune/celebi/swampert/zapdos to hopefully boom on them.
:Blissey: Special wall with Wish to heal the rest of the team

Altina - :salamence: :magneton: :swampert: :celebi: :shuckle: :dugtrio:
Request: Shuckle
The archetype of resting setup Pokemon generally necessitates either spin or clear skies to prevent chip. With the use of sand immune bulky setup mons with double trap, it generally does get a bit more flexibility. Other options to consider are flash on shuckle, or rest on pert.

Colteor - :metagross: :muk: :tyranitar: :blissey: :claydol: :gyarados:
Request: Muk Boom Offense
Muk's role is to blow up something like flygon, pert, suicune, zapdos, in order to help gyara or agiligross get into a position to clean easier endgame. Defensive core is suit tar/bliss/dol to cover spikes and special offense well enough since the offensive mons here help with physical offense pretty well.

Lord Ninjax - :salamence: :metagross: :magneton: :miltank: :suicune: :snorlax:
Request: The Given Miltank Set on Magneton Offense
The difficulty with building this team is that this designated miltank set targets things like tar / meta / lax but there isn't much overlap between mons that want them removed and mons that want mag. I settled for restcune and restlax as they benefit from gar being para'd and tar / meta being knocked out (aero was another option but it was too frail defensively). Mence and Meta play defensive roles while providing offensive pressure. It plays slower than you'd like but still has ways to realize its gameplan. Enjoy!
pokology - :kangaskhan: :skarmory: :poliwrath: :jirachi: :blissey: :articuno:
Request: Kangaskhan

Caloom - :tyranitar: :mantine: :registeel: :blissey: :forretress: :flygon:
Request: Mantine + Registeel

Astamatitos - :metagross: :dodrio: :magneton: :tyranitar: :gyarados: :heracross:
Request: Dodrio + Magneton Offense

Rezzo - :wailord: :tyranitar: :Skarmory: :zapdos: :swampert: :dugtrio:
Request: Wailord Special Offense

NEON_Voyager - :moltres: :metagross: :skarmory: :jirachi: :gengar: :tyranitar:
Request: Choice Band Moltres

vapicuno - :venusaur: :charizard: :gyarados: :salamence: :metagross: :jirachi:
Request: Gyarados With No Magneton

BT89 - :skarmory: :aerodactyl: :gyarados: :moltres: :tyranitar: :Swampert:
Request: Aerodactyl Spikes - Superman style

King of Iron Frisk/xXBootyPopperXx - :zapdos: :exeggutor: :dugtrio: :heracross: :metagross: :suicune:
Request: Sunny Day Team

mikmer - :jynx: :dugtrio: :walrein: :regice: :metagross: :articuno:
Request: Encore Walrein

THE918th - :venusaur: :skarmory: :tyranitar: :blissey: :charizard: :swampert:
Request: Fire, Water, and Grass Core

ArcticBreeze - :jolteon: :jirachi: :tyranitar: :swampert: :skarmory: :zapdos:
Request: Choice Band Doom Desire Jirachi

Zacpz - :tyranitar: :salamence: :magneton: :dragonite: :swampert: :snorlax:
Request: Dragonite and Salamence

airports - :vaporeon: :celebi: :swampert: :weezing: :gyarados: :hariyama:
Request: Taunt Weezing + Knock Hariyama

RageAgainstTheMagearna - :skarmory: :metagross: :zapdos: :celebi: :salamence: :jolteon:
Request: Thunder / Thunderbolt / HP Grass / Baton Pass Zapdos

Dw16 - :skarmory: :tyranitar: :articuno: :flygon: :zapdos: :jirachi:
Request: Two Legendary Bird Superman

BluesEnergy00 - :raikou: :entei: :suicune: :celebi: :jirachi: :dugtrio:
Request: Legendary Trio Theme

VTMagno - :zapdos: :metagross: :snorlax: :salamence: :swampert: :weezing:
Request: Weezing Team

Alucs - :tauros: :slaking: :ursaring: :tyranitar: :magneton: :celebi:
Request: Normal Spam Without Snorlax

Placeholder Teams:

mikmer - :tyranitar: :weezing: :gengar: :cloyster: :jirachi: :jolteon:
watermess - :tyranitar: :weezing: :gengar: :flygon: :jirachi: :Starmie:
watermess - :tyranitar: :weezing: :gengar: :houndoom: :celebi: :metagross:
Request: Weezing + Gengar

Noglastica - :suicune: :claydol: :metagross: :starmie: :skarmory: :celebi:
Request: Bulky Offense Claydol with Offensive Starmie
Disclaimer: This team was made less than an hour before the deadline very, very quickly. Now that my excuses are out of the way, this was my teambuilding thought process.

Claydol / Starmie:
I started off with these two because I had no choice. I was originally planning a much more defensive team with restdol aromabliss which I have taken a strong affection towards largely due to ABR, but I realized with double spin, that allowed me to play much more aggressively with Claydol and Starmie because, worst case, if one dies, I still have another spin in the back. I changed my 4atk Starmie to 3atk spin, and my Claydol to a much more offensive Boomdol.

Claydol / Starmie / Celebi
I wanted to add a nice special wall to accompany the two, and went with celebi as it provides solid momentum for getting in starmie with BP, as well as the possibility to boost with a CM, and leech seed could help keep Claydol healthy. It also helps against things like Zapdos and Swampert who the other two don't particularly like dealing with.

Claydol / Starmie / Celebi / Skarmory
I added skarmory for spike support and as a physical wall. I toyed with the idea of letting it run peckless with toxic, but I dropped psychic on claydol for ice beam and decided my matchup vs breloom and hera would be significantly worse as a result.

Claydol / Starmie / Celebi / Skarmory / Metagross
Yet again I find myself returning to Metagross for my rock resist. I went with a more offensive gross than my occasional 252 252 impish simply for a largely offensive presence. Not too much to explain with this pick.

Claydol / Starmie / Celebi / Skarmory / Metagross / Suicune
Originally I had roar Zapdos as my lead for the last slot, but Suicune fit the team much better. Bold roarcune helps against CM Rachi which this team struggles with, as well as providing a solid check to things like Metagross and DD Salamence. Its also another option that can, if needed, deal with threats like tyranitar, swampert, and starmie, with the former providing more of a reason to run a more offensive Metagross set. Lastly, it means I don't lose a mon every time Moltres comes in, which I think is a fairly valuable asset to a team.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this year's ADV Secret Santa, you all made it possible. It was truly thrilling to see all the projects being submitted by so many talented builders, and all the interesting requests people made. I hope that, if nothing else, everyone who did participate had a fun time. If you did not participate this year, I strongly encourage you to consider joining next year, whether it be ADV or not (as long as it's not VGC). Happy Hollidays everyone, have a great rest of the year, and an even better 2022!

Last edited:

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
This is good stuff.

It will be cool if people can follow up with their thought processes behind building these teams. There are many teams here that look difficult to understand yet look very interesting. I'd be keen to see some explanations behind set/mon choice/strategy. I will explain my team at some point too.

Regarding my Heracross team;

I made this team before the BP restriction. Lunatone without salac pass really hampers the team's effectiveness in my opinion but it can be loads of fun still. Lead special gross is an odd choice i admit, but luring in skarmory/forry early is good for trapping them with magneton, and hp grass can help dent bulky waters who would hinder the end game salac hera sweep, and lum+psychic+mash means that hypnogar, spore loom, lk jynx and any other misc sleep threats are neutralized, as well as being useful to take a burn/twave targeted towards the rest of the team. Magneton traps skarm and forry. Other than that it can absorb status and use its strong tbolt to dent opponents. Snorlax should have less spdef and more hp looking back but it does lax things (special sponge and boom).

zapdos is the ground immune over mence or aerodactyl to draw in a team's special wall for easy bp into one of lax or heracross, checking gyrados, and hp ice is for extra coverage against mence and flygon. Of course the crescent shaped rock in the room, lunatone, covers hera's inablity to deal much damage to mence by using ice beam, sleep something, rack up calm mind boosts and potentially let Zapdos clean up, as well as giving heracross special cushioning for getting into swarm range easier. It's not a perfect team at all, but against slower teams it can be a real treat.

The alt solrock team is the same idea, but using a defensive reflect solrock to help cushion physical attacks instead and giving another boom.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)