ORAS NU Again

Hey guys, its Can-Eh-Dian or just Evan, and im here with another NU RMT. It's been a while since my last RMT and a bunch of stuff has happened in between the two. I got put on the NU council, on and off the QC team, the Teambuilding Lab became one of the more influential projects in the NU subforum, I became a Team Rater, and even finished up my last year of high school. From and NU perspective, Steelixite, Heliolisk, Magneton, Typhlosion, Cameruptite, Gallade and Sneasel were all banned from NU, while Skuntank, Shiftry and Hitmonchan all came to NU with the most recent tier shifts. With the recent tier shifts being so drastic, everyone is trying to find out what the standard builds are for the new meta. There has been a distinct lack of NU RMTs in general, let alone from well known players, so I decided that I would share the team i've been having the most fun and the most success with lately. The team doesn't have a ton of accomplishments, but it has done reasonably well in room tournaments, as well as on the ladder. However, the team does require some predicition, as well as an aggressive mindset in order to try and keep pressure on offensive mons that threaten the team. All this being considered, I think it shows off what a solid offensive build looks like in the NU meta right now, so let's get to the team.

With the banning of Sneasel, and the dropping of Shiftry, I felt like it would be a good time to try out a more offensive build since playing with offense is definitely the most fun kind of build for me. I decided I wanted to build offense with SD Shiftry since it's one of the tier defining offensive threats atm. I decided to bring back an old Hyper Offense favourite of XY in Lead Archeops to pretty much guarantee rocks on my side of the field as well as gain some early game momentum. Of course, since I'm using a suicide lead, I needed a way to keep my rocks up against spinners and defoggers. I had recently played a game against Stallbreaker Mismagius and i was intrigued at how it was a pretty good check to fighting types that also wasn't complete Skuntank fodder, so I decided to throw it on as a spin-blocker who can also take on most of the common defoggers. At this point, I wanted some more offensive mons in order to keep up offensive pressure, as well as some mons that could weaken checks and counters to Shiftry such as Gurdurr, Weezing, and Skuntank. I decided to add DD Rhydon and CM HP Ground Mesprit since they bait in a lot of stuff that normally checks Shiftry and cripples them to where Shiftry can win late game. In the last slot, I originally went with CB Play Rough Skuntank b/c it was a funny lure that 2HKO'd Gurdurr and Garbodor after rocks w/ Play Rough and Crunch respectively, however I felt like i was struggling with handling faster offensive mons due to the lack of natural speed. In order to remedy this, I went with Kangaskhan over Skuntank and it's been a great change ever since.

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpDef
- Head Smash
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor

After using Lead Archeops again, I have to say that I definitely think that it's probably the best dedicated leads that NU has to offer. The ease at which it both gets up, and prevents Stealth Rock, while still maintaing offensive momentum means that most games i'll have the early advantage. Usually, if the opponent lacks some form of SE priority, Archeops has the ability to get up rocks, taunt an opposing Stealth Rocker, and endeavor an opponent down to minimal HP. Since my team isn't really hindered by opposing rocks getting up, I can usually forgoe taunting and get up my rocks, as well as endeavor an opponent. Archeops can also beat common defoggers and spinners that try and spin on the 1st turn through the use of Head Smash, while also giving me offensive momentum. The EVs are pretty standard, but I like to run minimal IVs in bulk since all you really want to do with Archeops is get down to your Focus Sash in order to Endeavor.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

I really like offensive Rhydon in this meta, like really like it. It acts as a great check to offensive threats like Tauros and Archeops, as well as defensive threats such as CroDino, while still being able to clean games against offensive teams. Most of the time you don't even set up both dances but you hardly need to since this beast is just fast enough to outpace slower teams without a Rock Polish and just strong enough to where it can do work against offensive teams without an SD. It has fantastic coverage between its 2 STABs (although Edge misses are a pain) and also has incredible bulk which lets it set up on pretty much any neutral / resisted hit. I change between Jolly and Adamant depending on how i'm feeling, since Jolly outspeeds the 40 Speed Lanturns, but Adamant gives you a chance to 2HKO vileplume after rocks which is always really nice. The ability is pretty useless, but I went with Lightningrod in case somebody wants to use soak lanturn or some shit.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

CM Mesprit acts as my mid-game breaker, my Malamar check, and a nice lure for Skuntank which can help Shiftry late game. I can't remember who posted this set on forums, but now that CM Uxie is gone, CM Mesprit is really cool since it's still pretty bulky, hits pretty hard, and sits in a good enough speed tier to where it can threaten most balance teams with it's great coverage. Colbur Berry gives me a safety against fighting types, Shiftry's sucker punch, and lets me beat Skuntank if it comes in on a CM. Mesprit and Shiftry have excellent offensive synergy with one another since Mesprit either beats, or baits in pretty much everything in the tier that acts as a check/counter to SD Shiftry and is a vital part to keeping up offensive pressure with the team.

Kangaskhan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Double Edge
- Aqua Tail / Earthquake

Kangaskhan was originally a CB Skuntank, but then I realized it was trash so I changed it to an actual good mon lol. Anyways, Kangaskhan acts as a nice catch-all revenge killer for the team and answer to a ton of faster frailer offensive threats. Really a staple on offense since BW2, I haven't really changed much of what made Kangaskhan really good. The one thing that may stick out as different is that i'm running Assault Vest Kangaskhan over the standard silk scarf variant. I think Kangaskhan is one of the few mons where AV is the better item, since it lets it act as a pivot into stronger special attackers like Haunter, Ludicolo, and Lilligant (providing something else is already asleep). I also like to run Aqua Tail in the last slot since I can't really afford to give stuff like Rhydon a free turn to set up in my face.

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Def / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Pain Split

Stallbreaker Mismagius was a set that I hadn't used at all, but it seemed really intriguing to me. I wanted an offensive glue that could keep my rocks on the field, while still supporting the overall goal of the team, which was a Shiftry sweep. Mismagius does a great job of luring in and crippling and weakening Shiftry checks like Gurdurr and Skuntank, while still being a nuisance to defensive mons through the use of Taunt and Will-O-Wisp. Hex is mainly to get a stronger hit off on mons like Gurdurr after they switch in on a burn, I don't really miss Shadow Ball since the main purpose of this set isn't to hit like a super hard wallbreaker anyways. I like using Pain Split in the last slot over any other move since I'm running mainly Defense EVs instead of HP EVs which lets me gain back more health through Pain Split. The speed EVs are to outspeed base 95's like Jynx and Primeape which are making a resurgence in usage with the new drops.

Shiftry @ Dread Plate
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

SD Shiftry is a complete monster in this meta. STAB Knock Off and Sucker punch backed by an SD means that any type of team is threatened late game by it. While Shiftry does have its checks and counters, I feel like this team does a great job with supporting it to the point where it can clean most games. I don't usually bring out Shiftry in the early-to-mid game unless it's just to knock off a Gurdurr or Weezing in order to make them easier to finish off late game. The EV spread and moveset are extremely standard and vanilla, however I choose to run Dread Plate over Life Orb since most of the time you're only clicking Leaf Blade for a Super Effective hit anyways and i'd rather power up Knock Off and Sucker Punch without the LO recoil. I have Jolly slashed alongside adamant since it helps me against Jolly SD Rott but it's pretty rare so I usually roll with adamant.

: Lilligant is a huge threat to the team since I don't really have a good check to it. I usually play around it by letting something other than Kangaskhan take the Sleep Powder and then Kangaskhan acts as a decent check with the AV

: Ferroseed beats pretty much my entire team, and i need to rely on Mismagius staying healthy and beating it or else it can stall out the majority of my team.
: Lum Kabutops is really annoying because my main answer to it is Wisping with Mismag which obviously doesn't work if it's lum. If it's lum I need to chew a hit with Mesprit just to get off damage.

This team probably isn't gonna be some meta-defining team that shapes the meta as we move into Grand Slam, but it is the build that i've had the most fun with since the drops shook up the meta. I'll just wanna take this conclusion to thank everyone in the NU community and most of the people that i've met on Smogon for making this a positive experience for me. Smogon gave me a place to invest myself in, meet new people, and make new friends while I was going through a rough patch in my life. Anyways, that's enough sappy stuff, thanks for reading and enjoy the team!
All my skype niggas, you guys are probably the reason why I keep coming back and the reason I don't ever feel like leaving:
iplaytennislol Raseri hollywood Blast Kiyo Finchinator QueenOfLuvdiscs boltsandbombers Disjunction innovamania CanadianWifier marilli Vileman metaphysical Realistic Waters Montsegur scorpdestroyer Omfuga Rapture.

All the other NU auth that make it all possible:
Sir Kay Shaneghoul SilverReaper21 Teddeh Zebraiken Deej Dy Quite Quiet Aladyyn

All my doubles friends:
KyleCole Haruno shrop05 shaian TGMD

My POCL team that I don't know fully yet so I won't tag (except Cased thanks for getting me picked up haha), but i'm looking forward to a great season!

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Head Smash
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Shiftry @ Dread Plate
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Def / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Pain Split

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Kangaskhan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge
- Aqua Tail

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I can't remember who posted this set on forums, but now that CM Uxie is gone, CM Mesprit is really cool since it's still pretty bulky, hits pretty hard, and sits in a good enough speed tier to where it can threaten most balance teams with it's great coverage.
the few remaining Psychic types using Signal Beam (or potentially HP Ground lol).
[8/2/2015 10:13:36 PM] Chris (QoL): but i wanna use hp ground signal
everyone always stealing my shit sigh

in all seriousness, nice n standard team, I'd suggest hp fire on mesp since you have rhydon for skuntank as well as having a mismagius that can outspeed and burn it so that your ferroseed weakness isn't that as bad as what it is atm. You're also weak to kanga/tspikes, but ya know, best playstyle in the tier n_n

Last edited:
Wassup Can-Eh-Dian,

Looking at your team, you're really weak to Sawk, which is a problem for a team in a tier where it's so prevalent. You also have nothing except Archeops to get rid of/block hazards, and you yourself say that it's only used in the beginning of a game. In order to fix this AND keep up the support for Shiftry that you want, I'm going to agree with hollywood and suggest Xatu > Mismagius. Magic Bounce helps you control hazards, and Xatu still beats out Shiftry checks. Xatu also helps you out with your Ferroseed weakness. The EV's are to outspeed Jolly Kabutops, which also helps you patch up that weakness, as Kabutops gets 2HKO'd by Psychic, assuming you hit it on the switch. Xatu will also work better for checking stuff like Gurdurr, as it usually carries Guts. Good luck!

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs : 120 Def / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- U-Turn

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Can-Eh-Dian, first off cool looking team and thanks for the shoutout. It's too bad you haven't been super active recently with baseball, but it's good to have you around more now.

I've been sitting here deleting and re-typing arguments for why your team is weak to fast attackers such as Pyroar, Archeops, Tauros, etc. but I can't actually argue you're weak to any single one of them, the fact of the matter is they're often paired together and I feel like they can quickly overwhelm your team if the opponent is able to remove Stealth Rock. I'm sure you're able to make arguments for playing around anything I come up with, and I don't really feel like theorymonning in an RMT thread. However, I do think you can replace Mismagius with something that will still help you combat Fighting-types and make you significantly less weak to a Mixed Archeops + Life Orb Tauros core.

Mismagius ---> Granbull

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

This change also helps you with Ferroseed to an extent as people will often switch it into Granbull, and you can smack it with a Fire Punch. I suppose it makes you less weak to Kabutops as well, despite this Granbull set lacking any recovery. This change attempts to patch up weakness without opening you up to more things like Sawk, Gurdurr, and Skuntank. Hopefully you try it out and find success with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)