Aggron and Friends

Hello! I have been trying to create a team for my friend to use. His favorite Pokemon is Aggron. When he found out that Aggron received a mega evolution, he was amazed and used it immediately. He actually has one for his in game team. He is also new to the competitive scene, so I believe that to get him in the right direction, I will make a team for him to use. So for this, I am asking for all of your help. Here is what I was able to create so far by experimenting on Showdown:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
Here is the main Pokemon of this team. He is used mainly to tank hits and set up rocks. When it mega evolves, its ability actually lowers damage from super effective hits. I found that his offensive prowess is nothing to laugh at and it pays off to keep it alive. It has excellent synergy with Slyveon as it can take all the poison and steel type moves thrown at it while being able to retaliate back. With Thunder Wave and Iron Head, it is able to do some paraflinch. Although not with the higher probability that Togekiss and Jirachi have, being able to do it is a plus. Earthquake is basically for coverage especially on Heatran on the switch.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
I found that Azumarill didn't accomplish much on my team. My team also had a glaring weakness to special attacks since it didn't have a designated special tank. Enter Rotom-W. This was the old special defense set from last generation. I found that it was able to sponge hits rather well. With Will-O-Wisp, it is able to effectively cripple offensive hits that are otherwise unaffected by thunder wave such as Landorus and Garchomp. The extra damage over time is also appreciated against opposing special walls. Since the most common set this generation is the physical defensive, it will be a nice surprise when my opponent finds out that it is indeed a special attacking variant. It is effective in taking fire type moves that are used against Aggron and Sylveon to an extent as well.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower
What Azumarill brings to the table is pure physical power with the ability to come in and take some hits. Aqua jet allows Azumarill to overcome its terrible speed with a priority STAB move allowing it to revenge kill any opposing threat or even outspeed and KO another Pokemon. Waterfall is it's greatest water STAB move. Play Rough allows it to take care of pesky dragon, fighting, and dark types. Superpower allows Azumarill to take care of opposing steel types that can otherwise KO it such as Bisharp and Ferrothorn. In short, it is the main physical attacking threat of this team.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
Here is the cleric and other main tank of this team. It is able to cure any status the opponent may want to use as well as pass on wishes to my other team members. Even though Florges has higher special defense, I used Sylveon since it can heal more with wish since it has higher Hp. Protect is used to make sure Sylveon get healed by its own wish as well as to scout what the opponent wants to use. Hyper voice gains a boost from Pixelate and then a STAB boost making it the better option over Moonblast. It can KO msot fighting, dragon, and dark types since Sylveon has a respectable base 110 special attack to work with as well.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
Here is an excellent member to my team. It is able to take care of many physically defensive Pokemon while crippling others. It's moves also have rather excellent coverage against most of the metagame. With Thunder Wave, it is able to cripple annoying Pokemon and it is immune to paralysis itself due to the buff this generation to electric types. With life orb, it is able to deal significant amounts of damage. For example, it is able to OHKO Gliscor with a life orb wile otherwise being unable to do so without it. It is currently ranked as S in the OU tier by the community as it is able to come in and accomplish its goals without any other help.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
My team required a scarfer. With the addition of Rotom, my team didn't require another special attacker which makes Gengar obsolete. Instead, my team would enjoy a physical attacker in order to balance it out. I also realized that I had no way to deal significant damage to special tanks. Enter Garchomp which remedies this. With a choice scarf, it becomes an excellent revenge killer and late game cleaner with all of its moves. Fire Blast adds a way to hit opposing Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory on the switch. I found that it is especially useful in limiting my opponent's status moves as with its addition, I have 2 members immune to poison and 1 member immune to thunder wave.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
Here is the main special threat of this team. If a Pokemon would be up to change, it would be Gengar. I needed a scarfer and a special attacker for this team and I just put Gengar for this role. I remember one time Joey was talking about how a choice scarf Gengar with Thunderbolt was underrated. So I thought why not give it a go. With all of its moves, it was able to accomplish many KOs and sweep many teams throughout my testing. Trick is here to mess up opposing Blissey and Skarmory which locks them into one move with choice scarf. It is also able to spin block. Even with all of its upside, I find that I wish to find another Pokemon to use as I'm not really sold on its viability on this team. It doesn't offer much synergy with the rest of my team and it has only been a success because i'm a seasoned battler.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
Here is Excadrill the rapid spinner of the team. Now that sandstorm is nerfed, it can be used in OU now. However, this does not diminish it's usefulness.I chose to run Rapid Spin over Defog for this team since the team as a whole enjoys support from Stealth Rocks. It is also a great offensive force with 135 base attack. The other option for spinner on this team was Starmie, but that was a poor choice since it would make the team weak to Rotom. With Mold Breaker, it can bypass Rotom's levitate ability and is able to KO it with Earthquake. Jolly nature is used here since it is able to outspeed Mega Charizard-X before it gains a boost from Dragon Dance. It's moves offer coverage against most Pokemon in the tier which allows me to use it to take out something if it needs to.

Last edited:
Hey AceSat. Nice Team you have here. However, I'm curious to know you deal with Mega-Garchomp and Sub-Cube?

M-Chomp in Sand can lay waist to your entire team and not even a T-Wave can stop him due to his Ground typing. If Kyurem-B sets up a substitute, good luck as he will fire away with the appropriate LO Boosted attack of choice and can cover your entire team with Fusion Bolt, Earth Power and Ice Beam.

Here are some things I would change:

1. Change M-Aggron's nature from Relaxed < Careful to provide more SpD bulk. Seems like a small change but that extra HP you keep matters. Also change EQ < Dragon Tail. Your team has no phasing and that walking tank ain't out running dry paint let alone any mons in the OU tier.

2. Change Sylveon to a SpD Wall -> Calm Nature, 0 Atk IVs with 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA. She was born to be a special wall and as such, should be used in that fashion.

3. Change Excadrill's item from Life Orb < Air Balloon. EQ is to common a coverage move to allow Excadrill to be killed by someone's unboosted EQ.

4. Change Azumarill for:

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
EV: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-o-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Hydro Pump

Your team really need a counter for the above mentioned dragon's, but more so for M-Garchomp. Rotom-W also serves as your back-up for M-Pinsir and Talonflame in the event M-Aggron meets a premature demise. WoW cripples all physical attackers (like M-Chomp and Kyurem -B) and he also acts as your status sponge since he's immune to T-Wave and can Rest off Burns and Poison. Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are standard, also remember that your team like a slow switch into either M-Aggron or Sylveon so you can either paralyze/flinch and phase or Heal Bell and Wish pass.

These are the changes I would make. Let me know what you think.

Hey AceSat. Nice Team you have here. However, I'm curious to know you deal with Mega-Garchomp and Sub-Cube?

M-Chomp in Sand can lay waist to your entire team and not even a T-Wave can stop him due to his Ground typing. If Kyurem-B sets up a substitute, good luck as he will fire away with the appropriate LO Boosted attack of choice and can cover your entire team with Fusion Bolt, Earth Power and Ice Beam.

Here are some things I would change:

1. Change M-Aggron's nature from Relaxed < Careful to provide more SpD bulk. Seems like a small change but that extra HP you keep matters. Also change EQ < Dragon Tail. Your team has no phasing and that walking tank ain't out running dry paint let alone any mons in the OU tier.

2. Change Sylveon to a SpD Wall -> Calm Nature, 0 Atk IVs with 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA. She was born to be a special wall and as such, should be used in that fashion.

3. Change Excadrill's item from Life Orb < Air Balloon. EQ is to common a coverage move to allow Excadrill to be killed by someone's unboosted EQ.

4. Change Azumarill for:

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
EV: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-o-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Hydro Pump

Your team really need a counter for the above mentioned dragon's, but more so for M-Garchomp. Rotom-W also serves as your back-up for M-Pinsir and Talonflame in the event M-Aggron meets a premature demise. WoW cripples all physical attackers (like M-Chomp and Kyurem -B) and he also acts as your status sponge since he's immune to T-Wave and can Rest off Burns and Poison. Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are standard, also remember that your team like a slow switch into either M-Aggron or Sylveon so you can either paralyze/flinch and phase or Heal Bell and Wish pass.

These are the changes I would make. Let me know what you think.
Hi thanks for the rate. First I would like to begin by saying thatega chomp (even in the sand) is checked by thundurus, as a life orb boosted deals minimal 97% health which is an Ohio if rocks are up. Secondly, kyurem-b poses no threat to this team at all since if I keep rocks up, it takes significant damage when it comes in. Also, if it does get to set up a substitute sylveon takes care of it since hyper voice goes behind substitute(one reason I opted for the mixed standard defensive set). Sylveon has great natural special bulk which is augmented by the hp evs, the defense evs are to make sure that it isn't destroyed by pinsir, talonflame, and shadow sneak Aegi. Mega aggron being relaxed gives it sky high over 500 defense while allowing more to be put into special defense(physical attacks can't get through and it can take a few special hits if need be).

You do make a great suggestion in putting rotom on this team as I found that azumarill isn't really all that useful. I'll sed about actually making a special painsplit set since I feel that aggron and sylveon have a good hold on the physical side. Also dragon tail on aggron sounds rather interesting,l. I may opt for the change over eq because if I put rotom on the team and make it specially defensive, heatran isn't a problem. I also still want to find a change in gengar at this point lol but since I'm adding rotom, I may opt for a physical scarfer instead. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)