Alakazam [QC 0/2]

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Recover / Dazzling Gleam
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Timid
evs: 28 Def / 228 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Alakazam's power, speed and new-found access to Nasty Plot make it a powerful wallbreaker and potent late-game cleaner. Magic Guard gives Alakazam an immunity to passive damage, letting it run a Life Orb set without the downside of diminishing HP while also giving Alakazam the opportunity to set up on defensive Pokemon that rely on Toxic or Burn damage to wear down their opponents. Access to Recover allows Alakazam to set up on Blissey that rely on Seismic Toss for damage, though Dazzling Gleam can serve as a more consistent coverage option against Mandibuzz. The Defensive EVs are placed in order for Alakazam to live an Earthquake from Hippowdon, giving it another set-up opportunity in the late game. While the loss of power without Life Orb is noticeable, Focus Sash gives Alakazam the niche of being able to live any attack from full HP, thanks to Magic Guard preventing in-direct damage. This can make Alakazam serve as a more effective revenge killer, letting it check offensive threats like Hawlucha, Toxtricity, Crawdaunt, Urshifu-Single Strike and Sand Rush Excadrill. Alakazam is prone to being revenge killed by faster threats like Dragapult and Zeraora, so Pokemon like Mandibuzz and Hippowdon make for great defensive partners. Pokemon with momentum-gaining moves, like a slow U-turn or Teleport, can help get Alakazam onto the field safely and keep its Focus Sash in tact. This includes the aforementioned Mandibuzz, but also Corviknight, Rillaboom and Clefable. These Pokemon can lure in Pokemon that Alakazam takes advantage of, like Toxapex. Alakazam functions well on Sand teams as Sand Rush Excadrill can eliminate bulky Steel-types that resist Alakazam's Psychic. Furthermore, Alakazam can lure in Pokemon that Excadrill needs weakened, like Ferrothorn and Corviknight. Alakazam appreciates the extra damage generated by Spikes, so Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Mew make for good teammates. Ferrothorn and Skarmory can also check common priority move-users, like Rillaboom, Urshifu Single-Strike, Crawdaunt and Scizor.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[chimp, 197439]]
- Quality checked by: [[ ], [ ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Alakazam's niche, aside from being a generally powerful wallbreaker or late-game sweeper, is it's position as an offensive Pokemon that can muscle past Toxapex. Let me make this clear now - I really dislike the phrasing of this introduction. For all intensive purposes, you're making it sound like its niche revolves around the existence of Toxapex, and I really shouldn't have to explain why that's ridiculous. Its success relies on Magic Guard giving it an immunity to passive damage, which gives Alakazam the opportunity to set up on defensive Pokemon that rely on Toxic or Burn damage to wear down their opponents. Merge this with the previous point too; it's unnecessary to separate it when you can easily summarise it in the one sentence. Magic Guard also gives Alakazam immunity to Life Orb damage, bolstering it's already impressive Special Attack with zero drawbacks. Access to Recover allows Alakazam to set up on Blisseys that rely on Seismic Toss for damage, though Dazzling Gleam can serve as a more consistent coverage option. specifically mention that you hit Mandibuzz but tbh given that mandi is slowly falling off, I honestly don't think you need it at all; we haven't finished discussing it yet so i'll get back to you on that. The Defensive EVs are placed in order for Alakazam to live an Earthquake from Hippowdon, giving it another set-up opportunity in the late game. While the loss of power without Life Orb is noticeable, Focus Sash gives Alakazam the niche of being able to live any attack from full HP, thanks to Magic Guard preventing in-direct damage. it would be nice if you could directly mention what you're checking (eg lucha, toxtricity, daunt, shifu, rush drill, etc.) since being vague about shit really doesn't help anyone here. This can make Alakazam serve as a more effective revenge killer as it is able to take any attack, barring multi-strike moves, regardless of how much the opponent has boosted.

Alakazam is prone to being revenge killed by faster threats like Dragapult and Zeraora, so Pokemon like Mandibuzz and Hippowdon make for great defensive partners. The former can also give Alakazam opportunities to switch-in thanks to a slow U-turn.

Let me make this clear: this section is absolutely underwhelming. What you've mentioned here is a good start, but it doesn't begin to describe what you'd ideally want alongside zam. I want the momentum to be expanded upon so that includes more than just mandibuzz. If you could, i'd prefer it if you could directly mention what mons you're luring for zam (eg. clef draws in steels or something). There's also several other mons such as spikes setters, answers to prio mons (rilla, daunt, shifu, scizor etc.). Offensively, there's a lot that can be mentioned so i'll leave that up to you, but i'd definitely want an emphasis on shared checks, as well as sand and momentum.

[CREDITS]

Tag me once you've implemented this.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Alakazam's niche, aside from being a generally powerful wallbreaker or late-game sweeper, is it's position as an offensive Pokemon that can muscle past Toxapex. Let me make this clear now - I really dislike the phrasing of this introduction. For all intensive purposes, you're making it sound like its niche revolves around the existence of Toxapex, and I really shouldn't have to explain why that's ridiculous. Its success relies on Magic Guard giving it an immunity to passive damage, which gives Alakazam the opportunity to set up on defensive Pokemon that rely on Toxic or Burn damage to wear down their opponents. Merge this with the previous point too; it's unnecessary to separate it when you can easily summarise it in the one sentence. Magic Guard also gives Alakazam immunity to Life Orb damage, bolstering it's already impressive Special Attack with zero drawbacks. Access to Recover allows Alakazam to set up on Blisseys that rely on Seismic Toss for damage, though Dazzling Gleam can serve as a more consistent coverage option. specifically mention that you hit Mandibuzz but tbh given that mandi is slowly falling off, I honestly don't think you need it at all; we haven't finished discussing it yet so i'll get back to you on that. The Defensive EVs are placed in order for Alakazam to live an Earthquake from Hippowdon, giving it another set-up opportunity in the late game. While the loss of power without Life Orb is noticeable, Focus Sash gives Alakazam the niche of being able to live any attack from full HP, thanks to Magic Guard preventing in-direct damage. it would be nice if you could directly mention what you're checking (eg lucha, toxtricity, daunt, shifu, rush drill, etc.) since being vague about shit really doesn't help anyone here. This can make Alakazam serve as a more effective revenge killer as it is able to take any attack, barring multi-strike moves, regardless of how much the opponent has boosted.

Alakazam is prone to being revenge killed by faster threats like Dragapult and Zeraora, so Pokemon like Mandibuzz and Hippowdon make for great defensive partners. The former can also give Alakazam opportunities to switch-in thanks to a slow U-turn.

Let me make this clear: this section is absolutely underwhelming. What you've mentioned here is a good start, but it doesn't begin to describe what you'd ideally want alongside zam. I want the momentum to be expanded upon so that includes more than just mandibuzz. If you could, i'd prefer it if you could directly mention what mons you're luring for zam (eg. clef draws in steels or something). There's also several other mons such as spikes setters, answers to prio mons (rilla, daunt, shifu, scizor etc.). Offensively, there's a lot that can be mentioned so i'll leave that up to you, but i'd definitely want an emphasis on shared checks, as well as sand and momentum.

[CREDITS]

Tag me once you've implemented this.
Sorry, I totally didn't get a notification for this. Implemented. curiosity

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Magic Guard gives Alakazam an immunity to passive damage, letting it run a Life Orb set without the downside of diminishing HP while also giving Alakazam the opportunity to set up on defensive Pokemon that rely on Toxic or Burn damage to wear down their opponents.
I would also mention taking no damage from entry hazards, which ensures Focus Sash stays intact

While the loss of power without Life Orb is noticeable, Focus Sash gives Alakazam the niche of being able to live any attack from full HP, thanks to Magic Guard preventing in-direct damage.
This isn't true. Multi-hit attacks such as Urshifu-R's Surging Strikes, and Dragapult's Dragon Darts can break through sash and KO Alakazam with one attack

Alakazam functions well on Sand teams as Sand Rush Excadrill can eliminate bulky Steel-types that resist Alakazam's Psychic.
I see what you're going at with this, but I think it ignores both Skarmory and Corviknight. If Steel-types are an issue, perhaps Pokemon like Volcarona and Magnezone are better to mention

Lastly, I'd also split this into 2 paragraphs, 1st being why you should use alakazam and explaining its moves / what it does. 2nd being what its weak to and good team mates.

obligatory psyduck: :smogduck:

Last edited:
[SET]

drop dazzle, mandi's dead and recover is too valuable

[SET COMMENTS]
Alakazam's power define power. , speed and new-found access this is completely unnecessary to Nasty Plot make it a powerful wallbreaker and potent late-game cleaner. I'd much rather you phrase this similarly to something like"Through the combination of its excellent offensive stats and access to Nasty Plot, Alakazam serves as a fantastic wallbreaker etc. etc." because atm this introduction is just unnecessarily vague.Magic Guard gives Alakazam an immunity to passive damage, letting it run a Life Orb set without the downside of diminishing HP while also giving Alakazam the opportunity to set up on defensive Pokemon that rely on Toxic or Burn damage to wear down their opponents. mention the hazard immunity Access to Recover allows Alakazam to set up on Blissey that rely on Seismic Toss for damage Recover's primary use is to continuously switch into passive mons, focus on that + blissey is running twave atm so this isn't really accurate though Dazzling Gleam can serve as a more consistent coverage option against Mandibuzz. remove this The Defensive EVs are placed in order for Alakazam to live an Earthquake from Hippowdon, giving it another set-up opportunity in the late game. While the loss of power without Life Orb is noticeable, Focus Sash gives Alakazam the niche of being able to live any attack from full HP, thanks to Magic Guard preventing in-direct damage. This can make Alakazam serve as a more effective revenge killer, letting it check offensive threats like Hawlucha, Toxtricity, Crawdaunt, Urshifu-Single Strike and Sand Rush Excadrill. Alakazam is prone to being revenge killed by faster threats like Dragapult and Zeraora, so Pokemon like Mandibuzz and Hippowdon make for great defensive partners. Pokemon with momentum-gaining moves, like a slow U-turn or Teleport, can help get Alakazam onto the field safely and keep its Focus Sash in tact. This includes the aforementioned Mandibuzz, but also Corviknight, Rillaboom and Clefable. These Pokemon can lure in Pokemon that Alakazam takes advantage of, like Toxapex. Alakazam functions well on Sand teams as Sand Rush Excadrill can eliminate bulky Steel-types that resist Alakazam's Psychic. Furthermore, Alakazam can lure in Pokemon that Excadrill needs weakened, like Ferrothorn and Corviknight. Alakazam appreciates the extra damage generated by Spikes, so Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Mew make for good teammates. Ferrothorn and Skarmory can also check common priority move-users, like Rillaboom, Urshifu Single-Strike, Crawdaunt and Scizor.

[CREDITS]

QC 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)