Albatross' Nest - (Commissions Closed ATM)

Albatross

Loosely Resembling Some Variety Of Bird
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributor
I LOVE THE NOIR!!!
Thank you very much nerd (:

Anyways more article art, very cool

Article here (:
This was a lot of fun to draw, I really like Aromatisse's design even though its a little messy inspiration-wise (it's a flamenco dancer + plague doctor + perfume bottle(?). The plague doctor and perfume thing makes sense cause of the prevalence of miasma theory back in the funky black death times, leading plague doctors to stuff the "beaks" of their masks with aromatic stuff to prevent the bad air from getting in. That parts fine - I just don't really see how flamenco dancing comes into that lol)

Anyways uhh researching the different ways Wish has been portrayed in-game was also pretty fun. I ended up going with SwSh's depiction of Wish because I really liked the contrast between the golden glowing ring and the blue light from the shooting star, though I also drew a lot of inspiration from Battle Revolution's more realistic interpretations of falling stars and the anime's bodily glow that envelops the recipient

Article here!
This one I also enjoyed doing, though I couldn't spend as much time on it unfortunately since I reserved the art a couple of days before it was meant to be published lol. I don't really have much to say here other than I like the contrast between the thunder and the purple clouds

Albatross

Hello,

funny eel.png

Lamprecut.png
Lamprecut-Back.png

Got some some neat Branched Potential stuff to show. And by stuff I mean one thing and its the funny eel. Mon's name is Lamprecut, its a funky lil guy. The original submission post for it is here and the link to the current Branched Potential thread is here for those interested

This was my first time spriting anything so I just downscaled my concept art a fuck ton and traced over it, and adjusted/added some minor things. If anyone reading this is a spriter and has feedback to provide on these sprites then I fully welcome it because I honestly have no idea what the fuck I am doing with this stuff lol

TW: Blood (spooky)
garchompe.png

Heavily inspired by my semi-recent interest in Hotline Miami. I woke up one day, said "what if... Hotline Miami animal masks, but Pokemon???", and then this happened. Had a lot of fun working on this, even though I can't draw chainsaws and blood. and clothes and masks and lineart and uhh just in general ig. But anyways funny landshark

, Goodbye (:

Albatross

Bro your art is impressive keep up the effort
Thank you! That means a lot to me (:

I only have some article + banner art to show today, nothing too crazy. I also updated Clip Paint Studio after not doing so for 2 years, not a lot changed at first glance but maybe some of my brushes will look nicer? Idk, I'm struggling to find ways to fill up this portion of the post as always so I'm just gonna shut up and post art now

]

"Hey Albatross this isn't the version you used for the actual article, what gives?"
Ok so this was the original piece. When I was exporting it I realised it had a lot of empty space, which I don't think it ideal for article art. So I cut off a large portion of the sky. I probably could've filled it with something in order to justify the space, like clouds or something idk, but it seems a waste to have so much space taken up by something neither Pokemon-related or generally cool

If you're desperately interested in seeing the cropped version or just wanna check the article out, the link is here

Monotype_Secret_Santa.png

Nothing much to say here, this was a pretty simple banner to make and I enjoyed drawing it. Having no option to properly manipulate the text beyond basic skewing really blows but hey, maybe that's something that's been dealt with in the 2 year period where I hadn't updated my software at all? Who knows.....

Link for the thread is here, hope everyone participating has fun :)

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I'm kinda incredibly powerful. And cool and smart also
Thank you, you are also very busted (:

I think I've officially run out of funny things to say, both here and under the spoilers. Sorry guys. I'll have to go back to Clown College in the summer :pensive:

Funny fire go brr. Don't have much to day about this one other than I dislike drawing backgrounds greatly. Not particularly fond of the fire, but its whatever lol

Funny dragons go vwoosh. Had a lot of fun with this one, 100% will be experimenting more with thin lineart in the future

Partially inspired by the general film noir aesthetic. Didn't go all the way and make it black and white unfortunately, I kinda just felt like drawing something ominous-looking. Meowstic-F and Dragonite both look pretty good in a trenchcoat though lol

One day I'll finally pull my finger out and remember to post some traditional art. Not today though. Perhaps next time..? Who knows... .
WOW these are AMAZING!!!! and all the different art you've made too
Keep up the dank work mate

Albatross

Thank you very much Total Clefairy :heart:

WOW these are AMAZING!!!! and all the different art you've made too
Keep up the dank work mate
Lol thank you, based compliments from a based user (:

Anyways I don't have anything wild to show here other than some misc pieces and pokemon in maid dresses

Ok so for context, one time I drew a Lucario in a maid dress (pretty sure I've posted it before? can't remember lol) as a joke and then started spiralling from there. I've been threatening the Pet Mods server with these maid dressed Pokemon for a while now but just never posted them for some reason

awoga (pronounced a-woah-ga).png

This is catgirl Tornadus holding a Politoed and in a maid dress. I don't remember the full context behind this - I think I was talking about how much I hate the genie's Incarnate designs and then went to drawing female Torndus? idk, but somehow it ended up in a maid dress and with cat ears. Anyways it happened and now you all have to look at it

1640777001586.png

1640777196856.png

feromaid.png

This is Ferrothorn in a maid dress, poorly sketched + coloured in (how the fuck did I miss an entire spike while colouring??) but still an icon all the same. The context behind this piece of art is someone posted a picture of Ferrothorn with the message "Look at that bikini", which led to me crudely drawing a bikini onto it, and then I drew it in a maid dress
1640776322643.png

grass monkey, that funky monnkey.png

Firstly yes ik I don't know how to draw monkey faces, whenever I'm faced with drawing an animal who face I have never drawn before I always default to dog lol so it has a weird face. Anyways I was bored and felt like drawing another cursed being so I asked the pet mods server what Pokemon I should draw in a maid dress and the response was Simisage. Again the actual colouring and sketch was pretty low quality but I still like it regardless

womanne.png

Just a random cat girl I drew while bored. Nothing interesting to see here its just some regular ass woman who cares, she's neither a Pokemon nor in a maid dress

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor

Anyways I don't have anything wild to show here other than some misc pieces and pokemon in maid dresses

Ok so for context, one time I drew a Lucario in a maid dress (pretty sure I've posted it before? can't remember lol) as a joke and then started spiralling from there. I've been threatening the Pet Mods server with these maid dressed Pokemon for a while now but just never posted them for some reason

View attachment 395033
This is catgirl Tornadus holding a Politoed and in a maid dress. I don't remember the full context behind this - I think I was talking about how much I hate the genie's Incarnate designs and then went to drawing female Torndus? idk, but somehow it ended up in a maid dress and with cat ears. Anyways it happened and now you all have to look at it

View attachment 395034
This is Ferrothorn in a maid dress, poorly sketched + coloured in (how the fuck did I miss an entire spike while colouring??) but still an icon all the same. The context behind this piece of art is someone posted a picture of Ferrothorn with the message "Look at that bikini", which led to me crudely drawing a bikini onto it, and then I drew it in a maid dress

View attachment 395036
Firstly yes ik I don't know how to draw monkey faces, whenever I'm faced with drawing an animal who face I have never drawn before I always default to dog lol so it has a weird face. Anyways I was bored and felt like drawing another cursed being so I asked the pet mods server what Pokemon I should draw in a maid dress and the response was Simisage. Again the actual colouring and sketch was pretty low quality but I still like it regardless

View attachment 395040
Just a random cat girl I drew while bored. Nothing interesting to see here its just some regular ass woman who cares, she's neither a Pokemon nor in a maid dress
Warcrimes

View attachment 395033

View attachment 395034

View attachment 395036

View attachment 395040
Wow ig people really can be too creative huh :psycry:
No seriously, who thinks to put Ferrothorn in a maid dress

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor

View attachment 395033

View attachment 395034

View attachment 395036

View attachment 395040
thank you for tagging me in this btw. nothing has been awoken inside me

Albatross

Hello, it has been A While since my last update. This is due to:
  • Laziness
  • Procrastination
  • I forgot I had an art thread
  • *Insert further synonyms for laziness & procrastination*
But hey, what's going on, I'm here now to share more funky fresh article art ! woah !! Not gonna reply to people thanking them for interacting with The Thread bc there's a lot and I don't want to acknowledge the Pokemon in Maid Dresses post any more than I already have to, but I still appreciate you posting here and tell me that the concept of Pokemon in Maid Dresses is a sin so ty xx

A funky little Mienshao drawing I did for UU Suspect Coverage: Mienshao. Don't really have anything to add here asides from the fact that I struggled with the pose so much because, even though I really like Mienshao, for some reason its anatomy fucks me up really bad. This was pretty fun to draw once the pose was down though, so that's cool

Some funky little ghostly creatures decorate a funky little corporeal tree. Tried using thick lineart for this and tbh I'm not really a fan? Also after I started the colouring process for this I randomly developed a strong case of art block, which obviously didn't help lol. This was a pretty neat learning experience though; I've never drawn baubles nor a Christmas tree but I think both turned out alright

Some art for Big Winner and Old Legends: OU's Best Rises and Worst Drops in Viability, done on request. Again, not much to comment on here asides from "haha funny mole is in UU now" and "this was funky fresh to draw", so I hope you're content with that for commentary x

UU_Thundurus_Therian_Suspect.png

Another funky piece of article art for UU Suspect Coverage: Thundrus-T. Kinda weird that I have article art for two UU suspect coverage articles but whatever lol. Tbh I've been pretty into painterly styles lately (probably thanks to the art books I recently received that feature a bunch of traditionally painted artworks), I think they're very pretty and would like to explore this kinda style more in the future

Anyways that's it for today, hope y'all have a good day

Albatross

There are quite a few comments from a while ago so I'm not gonna reply to them all separately, but thank you all for the kind words! You are all "pogged", as the youth say

Anyways I'm not gonna make excuses for why I haven't updated this thread. I just forgot it exists. That's it it's not that deep. And I only have like.. 4 pieces to show? so apologies to those looking for some quality Alba tross content. It's not here and tbh I don't think any such thing even exists

Tbh I'm surprised I haven't posted this yet? It's been a really long time since I've updated this thread lol. I don't have much to say about this other than the grass took fucking ages to draw and that I think the mountains look nice

Dude hholy shit who lit this fucking chicken on fire what the fuck???
Anyways here's a banner I made at the request of Kris. Had a lot of fun making this; despite my brand as "funny" bird woman I actually do not understand bird anatomy at all, so this was a pretty fun challenge. Banner is best viewed in dark mode imo, but if you're using light mode that's ok ig. Other forum themes simply do not exist, sorry x

So these were all quickly done, proof-of-concept sketches, since I already had a few ideas on what I wanted to do for this request (the actual request was pretty simple - draw ho-oh, necrozma-dm, or yvetal looking regal iirc - so I had a lot of wiggle room here). I normally just use these sketches for, y'know, proof of concept. To see if an idea I had in my head actually looks decent on paper. Luckily the only one of these sketches that needed tweaking was Yvetal; originally I wanted its pose to be "tighter" but it ended up looking pretty stiff and messy, so I spread out the wings a little and adjusted the head until it seemed less rigid

The actual quality of these sketches doesn't matter at this stage (like the Comic Sans didn't make that obvious lol), it's mostly about seeing which idea appeals to the requester. The Necrozma-DM sketch was struck out first, leaving the other three. So I offered to make shaded sketches. My next step is generally to produce a second, higher quality sketch that'll then be cleaned up and either used as a base for lineart or used as lineart itself. But I ended up producing three fully coloured and shaded sketches instead somehow

So this normally doesn't happen during my process. Mostly because while I'm sketching I have a solid idea of where I want the light source to be, what colour I'll use for the shadows, how much backlighting will be present, etc. But since these drawings were being made to aid with the selection process, I wanted to try and replicate the final product's shading as much as possible. I couldn't just make slightly higher quality, black and white sketches with labels to explain different parts of the piece's lighting. Because that would have been a sensible thing to do, and I am not a sensible woman

So instead I got carried away working on the Yvetal piece and realised that I'd have to keep the same level of quality for the two Ho-Oh sketches. Mostly because I didn't want to subtly try and guide the requester towards a certain choice - even if the Yvetal piece was my personal favourite

In hindsight suggesting to do this was a stupid fucking idea but hey, we all make mistakes sometimes

The third and final sketch, with a much higher level of polish. Most notable are the covert feathers; they're not actually present in the final lineart, but rather are implied via shading. . I also adjusted the Ho-Oh's head further, to give the impression it was looking down on the viewer in disdain or some shit. There were also some further anatomy tweaks, like making the head smaller, the tail feathers longer, and making the talons look more like actual talons and not limp, vaguely talon-like entities

This is the finished lineart, with added colour. Lines are generally weighted based on where the shadows will fall in order to imply a light source and will also be heavier at the corner of overlapping lines for emphasis. The lineart part of the process is the one that I find the most annoying, purely because drawing clean lineart is an absolute pain, even if you use vectors like I often do

This is the finished set of shadows; two layers with different blending modes, one multiply layer using a light saturated red and one hard light layer with a darker pink. Normally I don't use blending modes for shading - at least, not this much. But when it comes to shading entities with patterns such as Ho-Oh's neck stripe and white chest, I generally use them so that I don't have to separate each colour into an individual layer. Some pieces can have five or more layers dedicated solely to shading, so this way I can save myself the hassle of having a comically large amount of layers

Now the lighting. Not much to add here that hasn't already been stated in the shadows part. Three layers this time; two again with blending modes - one Add layer with dark rust colour and one Hard Light layer with another light red - and a normal layer for the added lighting on the head and neck. I also added the fire roughly halfway through this part

The astute among you might notice that the piece also looks a lot more pinkish than it did previously. While I was shading I noticed that the green on the feathers kinda looked sickly? So I just slapped a Hue layer on top of the whole thing at, idk, around 50%? and called it a day lol

The final step (asides from text ofc): colouring the lineart. It's a stylistic choice, but its easily my favourite part of the process due to how well it ties the whole piece together. I just eyedrop the darkest available colour on the screen, darken it a little more, then apply liberally. A simple step, but its a nice way to unwind after spending.. idk, 4-5 hours on a piece?

And for those interested, this is the coloured lineart without any, y'know. Colour. Obviously its not perfect, but since it's not supposed to be seen like this its fine for there to be small errors

.. And that was my entire process. Ofc throughout the process I kept going back and correcting parts I thought looked weird - I completely redrew the primary feathers right towards the end of adding the shadows because they looked kinda funky lol - but that's all there is to it really. Even though I ended up burnt out when I was finished, I still enjoyed drawing this piece and challenging myself with the wings and bird anatomy. I actually have a few practice sketches somewhere that I made in preparation, but I'm not sure where they went lol. Either way, I'm very happy with this personally, so I'm looking forward to when the thread goes live x

Funny gas ball dude! Had a bunch of fun with this - I actually finished it two days before the banner lol - since it's literally just a ball with eyes, a mouth, and some... crater-shaped warts? so shading it was super easy. I particularly like the palette, I think the pink/purple with blue background looks very nice

Also fun fact: originally the tulip was a dark red colour, but I thought it clashed really nastily with the rest of the piece so I changed it to pink. Also shading dark red stuff is hard and hurts my tiny little walnut brain

Funny grass dudes! My favourite part of this piece are the leaves, 100%. They were so much fun to shade and I think they turned out great. I think it's worth mentioning that I very, very rarely actually draw backgrounds, so I'm very happy with how this turned out

1648884802379.png

I also have this extra sketch that was leftover from making the banner; I was originally going to draw Florges watering some plant pots, but eventually I decided to scrap that. I kept this sketch though, because I thought it looked nice

.. And that's it! Hope you all have a good day (:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
So instead I got carried away working on the Yvetal piece and realised that I'd have to keep the same level of quality for the two Ho-Oh sketches. Mostly because I didn't want to subtly try and guide the requester towards a certain choice - even if the Yvetal piece was my personal favourite
if it makes u feel better yveltal was my personal fav too but council decided on ho-oh!!!! regardless, i heavily appreciate all the work you put into this piece.

Last edited:

Albatross

have you ever thought about drawing something gay
Yes i have
1652521799144.png
for example, this pair of lesbian lovers that I have drawn are both in love and gay. Thank you for your question kind stranger

Anyways hey what's up fellas, it's been a hot minute. I should really post on here more lol. I'm not gonna reply individually to posts (asides from the above one) bc it's been a while and I think that would be rude to reply after almost a month, but I am deeply grateful for all of your kind words. They're always appreciated so thank you x

Funny bird!! !! Drawn for UU Suspect Coverage: Galarian Moltres, I took it only 2 days away from the deadline which is probably fairly obvious with how messy the colouring is once you zoom in close enough lol. Favourite part about making this piece was drawing the fire; I love Galarian Moltres' funky pink flames, so messing around with them was a lot of fun!

I don't have much to say about this unfortunately, asides from how the rose was an absolute pain to draw but I'm glad I put in the effort to make it look nice. sorry lol

Drawn on a whim in 2 hours, in case the grossly messy colouring and shading didn't make that immediately obvious. Honestly I've never been that into Cherrim that much, but drawing this has given me some slight appreciation for its stupid face and weird red eyes

Not entirely sure what inspired this. I think I just found some old design I made last year and decided to redo it? Idk. Either way, bunny mask weapon girl, pretty epic imho

A design based of Galarian Rapidash. Again, I don't know what compelled me to draw this. I think I was just bored and happened to have a reference for Galarian Rapidash open lol

And now, exactly two paper sketches. Please excuse the roughness of these, when I draw with nought but a paper, pencil, and eraser I become unhinged and simply do not clean anything up ever

Cleffa! Very cute. A very cute mon. Kinda looks evil to me sometimes but I think I am just paranoid. This one is not evil though. I think.

Shaymin!! ! That's it that's all I have to say

Anyways that's it for now, have a good day fellas x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)