SS OU All Out Attack Team (or close to it)

Good evening boys and girls. I've being inactive in competitive forums ever since 5th, kept playing lightly on Showdown every once in a while, as I bought and played the new 8th gen game, decided to test a team, which I found pretty interesting to play with, got me up to around 1550 points and wanted to give it a shot here and have you guys rate it so may improve it and go further!

PROCESS OF BUILDING
(if you don't feel like reading, skip to the final team, just bellow the huge text)

I started off with my all time favorite Pokemon; Tyranitar, the pseudo legendary from 2nd gen, a great all around Pokemon, which can develop several roles with so many different movesets, thanks to its massive movepool. So I wanted someone that could benefit greatly from its partner and, being a sand inducer, I came up easily with the next member of the crew; Excadrill, the best Pokemon design from 5th gen, great attacker that benefits greatly from the Sandstorm. So, after choosing these two with no defensive thinking whatsoever, I opened with a big Ground and Fighting weakness, so I brought a Pokemon that I've being using pretty much every generation, which could solve one of our problems; Rotom-W, even hating it's concept of a washing machine, kinda grew on me for being a phenomenal competitive Pokemon. It's great typing with the perfect ability to forget its problem with ground moves. A Pokemon with great defenses, can take a hit or two neutral hit from most Pokemon on the meta, with Volt Switch for momentum and worked great on the team. Moving forward, a went straight for another 5th gen Pokemon that I've being using a lot since it's release and worked greatly on the team, being a common switch in from grass and water attacks on its partners (and pretty much any physical attacker); Ferrothorn, it has arguably the best setup for a physical wall, benefiting greatly from its typing, stats, ability and movepool. Even tough it can handle very well pretty much any physical attack, I got another Fighting weakness, so I went further than a resistant Pokemon, I opted for an immunity; Dragapult, the pseudo legendary from 8th gen (I started to feel bad for not using an 8th gen Pokemon), finally another Pokemon other than Giratina was introduced with this typing. So, the last spot was really tricky. All the other roles remained the same, all five, only changing movesets for better synergy and team's needs. I changed three times, started with Conkeldur, a good status absorber, access to priority, but didn't fitted that well, moving to Cinderace, the second fastest non scarfed Pokemon on the tier, (correct me if I am wrong, just losing to Dragapult), worked nice with Rotom-W with U-Turn/V-Switch, another resistance to Fairy, used a move to counter entry hazards, Court Change. Worked fine for a while but, bumped in a big lack of Special Attacks on the team, so I found the last piece; Clefable, the pink blob from 1st gen, fitted super nice on the team working almost as a full out attacker, status absorber and much more.

So the final team looked like this:
(AFTER JUMPING THE TEXT, STOP SCROLLING HERE!!)

The Team in Details

Tyranitar @ Choice Band

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
  • I used to use this guy a lot as a Assault Vest user but, wanted to vary a little. Started with more investment in SpD and less in Atk, more defensive/utility oriented and carried Stealth Rock instead of Stone Edge and Leftover for it's item. But it's extra SpD bulk was not being that much of a difference on its already great SpD boosted by the Sandstorm (going up to 354), but it's offensive side was not as productive as possible, so I dropped the SR and switched it for an extra attacking move, gave it Choice Band (Atk going up to whooping 604) and it suited the team better. It is a great offensive threat to pretty much anything it hit, except Ferrothorn, which I had the Fire Blast added for surprise and not stall me forever. Crunch works for anything Stone or EQ hits, specially Dragapults, which most carry a Choice Specs full SpA oriented, Ttar can tank it and kill or a predict another kill on the switch in, such as common Ferrothorns or Rotom-W (damaging between 94-110% in offensive sets and 65-77% in common defensive sets). Also, the little residual damage Standstorm helps a bit. I try to save this Pokemon for mid game switch-ins, when I usually have taken care of Ferrothorns and Corvinights, for a better usage of Excadrill sweep potential.​

Excadrill @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
  • Excadrill is a beast on it's many possibilities when it comes in. After a lot of tests, I noticed that are not as many opportunities for Excadrill to come in right after TTar leaves the field, to benefit from many turns of it's Sandstorm, even tried switch the Ability to Mold Breaker and deal better with Rotoms but, even being situational, for the team configuration, worked better. Most of the time, if storm is in play, I hit Swords Dance, preferably towards mid-late game and Ferrothorn/Corvinight out and start sweeping. If there is no Storm, the boost on Spe that Rapid Spin gives now fits him greatly, being faster than anything non scarfed and it's STAB moves still hit pretty hard. Iron Head deal massive damage to all Fairies and Earthquake to pretty much anything else. So, in the end, Excadrill works fine even without Sandstorm, working as a massive damage dealer and spinner, even tough my team does not suffer too much from entry hazards or it's users.
Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
  • Rotom is my lead. It can deal with literally anything greatly (except Aegislash, HELP!). Most of the times, I hope for a common Volt Switch mistake prswitch in, such as Gastrodon, Palpitoad and my favorite, Ferrothorn, for Trick and cripple it for the rest of the game. Scarf allows me OHKO lead Cinderaces that do not predict a Scarf or burn lead Excadrill, which do only 50% damage after the status condition. Volt Switch is great for momentum and allows me to be one step ahead. After it has tricked someone, usually hoping for Leftovers, it works pretty much as a burner (which Dragapult's build appreciates a lot) and volt switcher, unless there is a clear opening for a Hydro Pump. It can be switched in many times and take some hits (specially if I've managed to trick a Leftovers), while being fast enough to attack usually at least one more time.
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
  • The 5th gen is my least favorite on overall Pokemon design but, the ones I like, I love and they are both awesome competitively, being Excadrill and this fortress. Ferrothorn is my switch in for anything physical, hoping for contact to get a lot of damage from Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs. The next move is usually Leech Seed for most of the titme or a Knock Off when predicting any imune Pokemon, such as foe Ferrothorn and Magic Mirror Hatterene. It can wear down most of the physical threats (which are majority in this meta). I did some tests regarding its EVs spread and decided to go full Def because, the things that usually kills this thing are SpA fire moves, mainly from Life Orb Clefables, Dragapult's Fire Blast, Hatterene's Mystical Fire and Hydregion's Flamethrower/Fire Blast, so I understood if I stayed out of these, I could tank physical attackers better. The moves are pretty self explanatory, Leech for slow damage/health gain, which works good with Protect, ensuring an extra 12% off even from potentially OHKO threats and is great for scouting their next move and being in a more comfortable position for the next move/switch in. Knock Off reigns again with no Mega Stones and Z-Moves items, which can cripple so many strategies, but must be careful not to Knock Off my Rotom's tricked Choice Scarf (happened hehe). Power Whip is there to deal specifically with Gastrodons and Seismitoad (it is a sure OHKO even in full Def) invested.

Dragapult @ Leftovers

Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 96 HP / 16 Def / 184 SpA / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Disable
- Hex
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
  • Dragapult unique typing and awesome stats allows us to work in different ways. Physical or Special Attacker alongside its massive Spe is deadly. On this team, it started as the commonly found special attacker but, once I faced another Dragapult with this build, reminend me of past a Gengar I used to run with similiar purposes (Disable, Sub, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast), I put it to the test and felt in love with. The 212 Sped allows it to outspeed any all non scarfed Pokemon on the tier, expect fully Spe invested foe Dragapults, allowing us to use this set in a great manner. As said, most of the threats on the tier are physical attackers and, having Draga and Rotom burning them and halving their Attack potential, furthermore boostes the 65 BP Hex to whooping 130 BP + STAB, which is a lot even to SpD Pokemon. So usually goes Sub -> Disable -> Sub -> Will-o -> Spam Hex or try to burn more Pokemon. Only real threat here is enemy's full speed Dragapults with Infiltrator, but Ttar is usually a safe switch in and, as lots of them are Choice itemed, is a nice position to be in, opening an oportunity for a free truck hitting Stone Edge or anything else. Alongside all that, works as a possible Excradill spinblock and love to switch in Cindarace's High Jump Kick hehe.
Clefable @ Life Orb

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt
  • As said in the process of building, the 6th slot was hard to find. But in a big need of another special attacker, a Fairy type felt appropriate for another immunity, being it Dragon, alongside hitting hard pretty much anything that doesn't resist the attacks. Magic Guard is aewsome to absorb foe's Will-o-Wisp, working greatly with Life Orb. The 60 Spe investment is mainly to outspeed annoying Corvinights (not Spe invested), than all in SpA and some HP for bulk. These three offensive moves seemed to work the best, having an answer to most Pokemon in the tier, Flamethrower mainly for Ferrothorns/Corvinights, Thunderbolt for Gyarados (if Rotom was out, I had no offensive response) and Moonblast for everything else, hitting HARD! The last move was changed a few times, started with Moonlight but I did not find many opportunities to heal properly and with Sandstorm up, the heal is dropped to half, so I found a nice fit the Stealth Rock to harass better the enemy's switches.
Conclusion
It felt really good playing this team, but I do not find clear answers to two threats: Aegislash and Kommo-o. I tried changed sets, Pokemon even but still struggle against them, usually having to sacrifice one or two Pokemon to have them gone. It understand it lies on the fact that my Tyranitar, which is the SpA answer for most of the time is weak to both of them but I could not find the answer!
Even with these two huge threats, I had a lot of fun. The team had balance and answers for most of the common tier's threats. So I need you guys' to help me enhance that Team so I may ascend a bit more on the ladder.
I hope you guys Import the team, test for yourselves and have as much fun as I had and come with some creative solution for it's problems!
In past days, I would make this a super visually pleasant experience for you guys but, unfortunately, feels like I am an old grump that do not want to expend hours on that hehe, sorry about that :)

Ps. I could not come to a nice Team name but, felt that even with the more defensive Pokemon, such as Ferrothron, I was in an attacking position, so that was it, if you find a nice name, suggest please!!

Thank you in advance !

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello! I have to say I'm not surprised to read you were a Gen 5 player, because right when I glanced over the team I thought to myself "this looks like a gen 5 team." Maybe its just the sprites you used, gotta love them B/W sprites. Or maybe its just seeing T-tar / Exca / Rotom-Wash in a line like that triggers some lost part of my brain or something.

Anyway, I don't have any major changes I'd suggest, because I think, composition-wise, the team is generally fine. However, I would suggest swapping your :Clefable:Clefable set to a bulkier variant:

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Wish
- Stealth Rock / Flamethrower / Aromatherapy

I don't feel you need LO since you have a capable special attacker in Dragapult. This set can live a +2 Flash Cannon from Kommo-o and OHKO with Moon Blast. You could max out Sp.D here, too, since your team has two burners, but thats up to you if it fits your play style a little better. I kept Stealth Rock but you can always exchange it for Flamethrower to pressure Ferrothorn/Corviknight for Excadrill a little better. Aromatherapy always helps, too. This set also helps alleviate some pressure off of trying to switch into a LO Clefable, which can put the hurt on Excadrill & Ferrothorn if it predicts correctly.

Hope this helps!

I fully agree with Chimp here, a wish passer Clef will really help squeeze the most out of ttar. I think opting for Aromatherapy for its 4th slot will be ideal, since your team relies on ttar and exca a lot for offense you really don't want them to get ruined by a stray burn. You can also fit rocks over knock off on ferro, but this isn't totally necessary.

Hello! I have to say I'm not surprised to read you were a Gen 5 player, because right when I glanced over the team I thought to myself "this looks like a gen 5 team." Maybe its just the sprites you used, gotta love them B/W sprites. Or maybe its just seeing T-tar / Exca / Rotom-Wash in a line like that triggers some lost part of my brain or something.

Anyway, I don't have any major changes I'd suggest, because I think, composition-wise, the team is generally fine. However, I would suggest swapping your :Clefable:Clefable set to a bulkier variant:

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Wish
- Stealth Rock / Flamethrower / Aromatherapy

I don't feel you need LO since you have a capable special attacker in Dragapult. This set can live a +2 Flash Cannon from Kommo-o and OHKO with Moon Blast. You could max out Sp.D here, too, since your team has two burners, but thats up to you if it fits your play style a little better. I kept Stealth Rock but you can always exchange it for Flamethrower to pressure Ferrothorn/Corviknight for Excadrill a little better. Aromatherapy always helps, too. This set also helps alleviate some pressure off of trying to switch into a LO Clefable, which can put the hurt on Excadrill & Ferrothorn if it predicts correctly.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your rating!

I will make some tests and see how it fits! If sacrificing some on the Sp Attack (which would mean some resource against some common switch-ins, such as Ferro/Mandibuzz/Corvinight) side for Aromatherapy (the most interesting suggestion on first sight), which I really am in trouble with Ttar/Exca burning.

I will let you guys know about the results!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)