All type Terrain [Stage 4: Playtesting]

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey would it be a good idea to edit the first post and put each post of each type under its own spoiler just to make it more organized? it just seems confusing to have to read through everything even if you just want to nominate ideas for like one or two types. i just think that more organization and structure could boost popularity and attractvotes for this cycle as well as participation for cycles in the future
Good idea will do that. How do I link to a specific post?

My votes:

Scree Terrain

Frosty Terrain

Fiery Terrain

No Terrain

Webbed Terrain

Thanks for the suggestion, have edited the 2nd post to include a list of current submissions. They're sorted by type, and each has a link to its post (I finally figured out how to do that).

Helium Terrain (Melons-N-Soda)
Rocky Terrain (Expoloudit)
No Terrain (HeadsILoseTailsYouWin)
Chakra Terrain (TMan87)
Seismic Terrain (Yoshiblaze)

Metallic Terrain by Exploudit
Frosty Terrain by Exploudit
Rocky Terrain by Exploudit
Plain Terrain by ChrystalFalchion
Mystic Terrain by Mygavolt

I feel like Exploudit's ideas cannot be separated, since he put some flavour in them, and they would be senseless without the others.
Also, ChrystalFalchion, I feel like the way of choosing terrains is going the wrong way. This way, terrain of different types are competing with each other, which imho shouldn't happen, since they occupy different slots. A good idea for one of the types may be missed out just because there were better ideas for another types during the stage, and as a result, a worse idea for that type would be chosen during another stage. Also, when submissions are not restricted by type, most of users just go all-in first stage, and next stages might be just forcing ideas out of our heads.
Not being rude, just share some thoughts here.

OK everyone, time is up! The winners for round 1 are:

Fiery Terrain (Fire) by AquaticPanic
Frosty Terrain (Ice) by Exploudit
Cloudy Terrain (Normal) by Hourai
Chakra Terrain (Fighting) by TMan87
Rocky Terrain (Rock) by Exploudit

The OP has been updated with the new Terrains. Congrats to the winners. While Helium Terrain tied with Rocky and Chakra Terrain, I felt that Rocky Terrain was more promising, and even with the buff Drifblim still wouldn't be great.

For the next round, things are going to be a bit different. To make things a little easier, we are going to be making terrains for the Bug, Dark, Dragon, Ghost and Ground types. You may renominate your previous suggestions. When it comes to votes, you will vote for one terrain of each type and not your own nominations. Make sure your terrain doesn't share a name with any previous nominations.

Thanks for the great work so far, keep it up!

Last edited:
My week's nominations:

Type: Bug
Name: Swarm Terrain
Swarm Surge: Golisopod
Z Move: Speed +1
Nature Power: Bug Buzz
Secret Power: Silver Wind animation, 20% chance to put to sleep
Swarm Seed: Attack +1
Learned by: Everything that has the ability Swarm
Effect 1: Bug type moves gain 50% power when used by Pokemon on the ground
Effect 2: Grounded Pokemon take damage upon switching in depending on their resistance to Bug moves. Neutral damage - 10%; X2 resist - 25%; X4 resist - 50%; X2 weak - 5%; X4 weak - 2.5%
Competitive use: Makes Bug a much more viable offensive type. Golisopod can sling around 105 BP First Impressions, and if you think of switching in your resist you'll be taking at least 25% damage (unless it's airborne).

Type: Dark
Name: Demonic Terrain
Demonic Surge: Zoroark
Z Move: +1 Attack
Nature Power: Dark Pulse
Secret Power: Night Daze animation, 20% chance to confuse
Demonic Seed: +1 Special Attack
Learned by: Weavile, Hoopa-U, Greninja
Effect 1: Dark-type moves gain 50% power when used by Pokemon on the ground
Effect 2: Pokemon on the Ground lose their ability
Competitive use: Makes Dark type attacks extremely powerful, as now Zoroark gets a Dark Pulse with the power of a STAB Close Combat. It can also cripple grounded Pokemon that rely on their abilities like Mega Medicham. You could even run stuff like Slaking and Regigigas on your team to benefit from it.

Type: Primal Terrain
Primal Surge: Goodra
Z-Move: +1 Attack
Nature Power: Dragon Pulse
Secret Power: Dragonbreath animation, 20% chance to lower Speed
Primal Seed: +1 Special Attack
Learned by: Dragonite, Salalmence, Hydreigon, Garchomp, Kommo-O
Effect 1: Grounded Dragon types gain +1 Speed
Effect 2: Pokemon on the ground lose all immunities
Competitive use: Taking you back to a time when the Dragons ruled supreme, Primal Terrain transforms the lacklustre Goodra into a fast wallbreaker that can spam Draco Meteor as much as it wants (unless your opponent has another terrain summoner, or an airborne Fairy-type) as now nothing on the Ground is immune

Name: Spooky Terrain
Type: Ghost
Spooky Surge: Chandelure
Z Move: Special Attack +1
Nature Power: Shadow Ball
Secret Power: Ominous Wind's animation, 20% chance to flinch
Effect 1: Ghost type moves gain 50% power
Effect 2: When a grounded Pokemon uses a move with a secondary effect, that effect will always trigger, unless the target is immune or the attacker has Sheer Force
Attack: Gengar, Mimkyu, Marowak-A
Seed: Spooky Seed
Seed Effect: Speed +1
Competitive Use: Ghost-types often have to make do with weak STABs - this alleviates that issue. Chandelure effectively has a 110 BP STAB Will-O-Wisp in Fire Blast, which it can use to unleash obscenely powerful STAB Hexes.

Name: Sandy Terrain
Type: Ground
Sandy Surge: Dugtrio-A
Z Move: + 1 Defence
Nature Power: Earth Power
Secret Power: Mud Bomb animation, 20% chance to lower Defence
Sandy Seed: + 1 Special Defence
Learned by: All fully evolved Ground-types
Effect 1: Ground, Rock and Steel-type moves gain 30% power when used by grounded Pokemon
Effect 2: Grounded Ground-types are immune to status moves that target them
Competitive Use: Makes Dugtrio-A much more powerful, as it now has a psuedo Life Orb boost on both its STABs. If they're on the ground, Ground-types now don't have to worry about being crippled by burns and what not.

Last edited:
Just a nitpick, but people were voting for Hourai's Cloudy Terrain, not mine. :D
Sorry, I didn't notice that name had alreasy been used.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Dude with Aquatic on the name wins with Fiery Terrain
What

Name: Dusk Terrain
Dusk Surge: Spiritomb
Z Move: Atk +1
Effect 1: Boosts the power of Dark-Type moves used by grounded mons by 50%
Effect 2: (Grounded) Non-Dark and Non-Ghost types will have the effects of their abilities and items negated
Attack: Yveltal, Darkrai, Umbreon, every mon with Sucker Punch excluiding Dugtrio
Seed: Moonflower Seed
Competitive Use: Allows even non-dark/non-ghost mons to have their utility. Regigigas and Slaking are some examples of these (Rip Archeops tho). This also allows you to cripple Guts users who use Flame Orb, to outspeed foe's scarfers, and to ruin part of their strategy. Ghost is there because of the night aspect and all, and because setter is also part ghost. Speaking of Setter, Spiritomb did enjoy it's former abilities but it doesn't complain about the new supporting options either. It has a pretty solid typing and defensive stats

Name: Plague Terrain
Plague Surge: Accelgor (Replaces Unburden)
Z Move: Sp. Atk +1
Effect 1: Boosts the power of Bug-Type moves used by grounded mons by 50%
Effect 2: Sends a plague on the battlefield that deals damage to grounded non-bug types in a simillar way to that of Stealth Rock (But with Bug's type chart) at the end of every turn.
Attack: Every mon with Struggle Bug and Escavalier
Seed: Eaten Seed
Seed Effect: Sp. Def +1
Competitive Use: I send a pestilence and plague Into your house, into your bed Into your streams, into your streets Into your drink, into your bread Upon your cattle, on your sheep Upon your oxen in your field Into your dreams, into your sleep Until you break, until you yield I send the swarm, I send the horde Thus saith the Lord
Why Accelgor, you might ask? I don't know, really. Other Bugs just didn't appeal as much to me (Bug is a poor type, honestly). The effect of the terrain is rather interesting. A Fire-Type or a Steel-Type won't really care about it (And Heatran laughs at it), while Hoopa-U fears it more then anything as it can easly be 2HKO'd just by existing on the terrain.
Special: Ribombee, Vespiquen and Durant get Swarm Leader (If only one allowed, Ribombee(Replaces Honey Gather)). This doubles both of the offensive stats during a Plague

Name: Clod Terrain (A clod is a lump of dirt)
Cloddy Surge: Peridot Palossand
Z Move: Def +1
Effect 1: Boosts the power of Ground-Type moves used by grounded mons by 50%
Effect 2: Quicksand traps grounded mons. They can switch out if they are Ground-Type, aren't grounded or have either Sand Stream, Sand Rush or Sand Veil.
Attack: Any mon who learns Sand Tomb and Sandstorm (Has to have both in the learnpool)
Seed: Dry Seed
Seed Effect: Sp Def +1
Competitive Use: Hello Arena Trap. This Terrain is pretty much already shown with Dugtrio. Palossand also has Shore Up to recover HP and a pretty aight typing for a supporter while it can still do a good amount of damage to foes (It has a suprinsingly good special coverage)
Special: Shore Up's effect of recovering more health in Sandstorm is also applied to Clod Terrain.

Name: Drake Terrain
Type: Dragon
Message: "The battlefield got wild!" (I swear there wasn't anything else I could come up with)
Drake Surge: Drampa (Replaces Cloud Nine)
Z Move: Sp Atk +1
Effect 1: Boosts the power of Dragon-Type moves used by grounded mons by 50%
Effect 2: (Grounded) Dragon-Types have their battle spirit (Offensive stats) raised by 33%
Attack: Everyone on the Dragon Egg-Group
Seed: Draco Seed
Seed Effect: Attack +1
Competitive Use: Obvious is obvious. I mean, really can ANYTHING not Fairy-Type take an Outrage from a Haxorus under this? As far as Drampa goes as a setter, it has Roost, isn't a Flying-Type like half of the dragons I considered. It has a humongus Sp. Atk stat to also do damage itself (and ho boy a Draco Meteor hurts).

Not doing any Ghost cause there's already a submission I like too much. (Cough Spooky Cough)

Last edited:
(This is a WIP, I'll change some things and add the other 2 types later)
Name: Silky Terrain
Silky Surge: Vikavolt
Z Move: Special Attack +1
Secret Power: Spider Web animation, 30% chance to trap
Silky Seed: Speed +1
Learned by: Every fully-evolved Pokémon that learns String Shot
Effect 1: Bug-type moves receive an 1.5x boost when used by grounded Pokémon
Effect 2: Grounded Pokémon have their Speed stat lowered at the end of each turn
Competitive use: Gives Bug an offensive boost, forces switches and benefits revenge killers. Slow, bulky Pokémon that don't care about losing Speed don't have to worry about the terrain's effect, while Pokémon with Contrary can potentially use it to raise their Speed, although Serperior, Lurantis and Malamar are all weak to Bug-type moves.

Name: Foggy Terrain
Foggy Surge: Houndoom
Z Move: Accuracy +1
Nature Power: Night Daze
Secret Power: Night Slash animation, 30% chance to paralyze
Effect 1: Dark-type moves receive an 1.5x boost when used by grounded Pokémon
Effect 2: All grounded Pokémon have their critical rate boosted by 1 while this terrain is active
Attack: Absol, Mismagius, Gengar, Houndoom, Zoroark, Shiftry
Seed: Foggy Seed
Competitive Use: Since Dark-types are associated with trickery, this terrain is all about raising the stakes. While a increased critical rate may not seem like much at first, it makes Focus Energy sets and Pokémon that use moves like Night Slash and Psycho Cut very deadly. The Dark-type buff also gives their moves more offensive pressure, since their strongest widespread STAB moves (Knock Off and Dark Pulse) aren't very powerful.

Name: Rainbow Terrain
Rainbow Surge: Kommo-o
Z Move: Attack +1
Secret Power: Draco Meteor animation, 30% chance to lower Attack
Effect 1: Fairy-type moves receive a 0.5x nerf when used against grounded Pokémon
Effect 2: The chance of triggering secondary effects is doubled (Does not stack with Serene Grace)
Attack: Goodra, Kommo-o, Milotic, Gallade, Drampa
Seed: Rainbow Seed
Seed Effect: Special Attack +1
Competitive Use: An inverted Misty Terrain, based on the rainbow field effect created by Fire Pledge + Water Pledge. The Fairy-type damage reduction helps Dragon-types defensively, but doesn't entirely remove the weakness because most Dragons are also Flying-types (and then there's Hydreigon). Since it pretty much gives Serene Grace to all grounded Pokémon, it's a terrain that can be used by many types.

Renominating my Bug and Dragon suggestions:
Name: Larva Terrain
Larva Surge: Venomoth
Z Move: +1 Special Defense
Secret Power: Lunge animation; chance to confuse
Effect 1: 50% boost to Bug-type attacks
Effect 2: Grounded, non-Bug-type Pokémon lose 1/16 HP per turn
Learned by: Venomoth, Wormadam, Volcarona
Seed: Larva Seed
Seed Effect: +1 Defense
Competitive Use: It was difficult to come up with a user of the Surge; Volcarona would have been my primary choice because the name of its pre-evolution is based on larvae, but sadly Volcarona is freaking A-rank. Heck, even distribution for the move was hard to come up with. But anyway, the field itself augments the sweeping potential of Bug-types by powering up their STAB and neutering Leftovers and Sash/Sturdy.

Name: Mystic Terrain
Mystic Surge: Druddigon
Z Move: +1 Special Attack
Secret Power: Dragon Breath animation; chance to reduce target's Defense by 1
Effect 1: 50% boost to Dragon-type attacks
Effect 2: Grounded Pokémon's moves bypass Abilities
Learned by: Kingdra, Garchomp, Haxorus, Druddigon, Kyurem, Goodra, Zygarde, Turtonator, Drampa, Kommo-o, Guzzlord
Seed: Mystic Seed
Competitive Use: With Fairy-types and Misty Terrain roaming around, Dragons have become a fair bit more obscure as of late. This terrain turns them into powerhouses that don't have to worry about Levitate (if they have Earthquake), Flash Fire (if they run Fire coverage), Magic Bounce (if they use Stealth Rock or some other status move), Disguise, Unaware, or anything like that. Druddigon in particular benefits as if it had Mold Breaker (which it does normally), with the added bonus of stronger Dragon Claw (because that's its most reliable STAB). Supports MegaZard-X nicely by strengthening its Dragon Claw and making Heatran less of a problem.
Others:
Name: Sinister Terrain
Frightful Surge: Cofagrigus
Z Move: +1 Special Attack
Secret Power: Astonish animation; chance to reduce target's Attack by 1
Effect 1: Dark-type attacks used by grounded Pokémon are 50% weaker
Effect 2: Increases PP usage by 1 per turn for grounded non-Ghost-types (does not stack with Pressure)
Learned by: Gengar, Dusknoir, Cofagrigus, Trevenant
Seed: Fright Seed
Seed Effect: +1 Special Defense
Competitive Use: Makes Ghosts less vulnerable to Knock Off, and gives Cofagrigus a nice role in abusing its pseudo-Pressure field to PP stall on its own and/or with allies.

Name: Evil Terrain
Evil Surge: Persian-Alola
Z Move: +1 Speed
Secret Power: Feint Attack animation; chance to reduce target's accuracy by 1
Effect 1: Dark-type attacks used by grounded Pokémon are 50% stronger
Effect 2: Grounded Pokémon cannot use the same move twice in a row
Learned by: Persian-Alola, Mightyena, Sableye, Sharpedo, Cacturne, Crawdaunt, Spiritomb, Liepard, Krookodile, Bisharp, Pangoro, Malamar, Incineroar, Guzzlord
Seed: Evil Seed
Competitive Use: Gives its users stronger Dark STAB, empowers Knock Off abusers, and subjects all grounded Pokémon (including themselves) to a bit of Torment. Persian-Alola particularly benefits in that the Dark Pulses off its paltry base 75 Special Attack actually become somewhat manageable, and it can run Parting Shot and/or U-turn to circumvent the pseudo-Torment.

Name: Rugged Terrain
Rugged Surge: Steelix
Z Move: +1 Defense
Secret Power: Stomping Tantrum animation; chance to reduce target's Defense by 1
Effect 1: Ground-type moves used by grounded Pokémon are 50% stronger
Effect 2: Grounded, non-Ground-type Pokémon take 1/8 HP of residual damage every time they attack with a contact move
Learned by: Dugtrio (both forms), Golem, Steelix, Donphan, Swampert, Camerupt, Torterra, Hippowdon, Rhyperior, Mamoswine, Excadrill, Golurk, Diggersby, Mudsdale, Palossand
Seed: Rugged Seed
Competitive Use: Steelix gets some mileage out of its 75/200 physical bulk (75/230 with Mega) in the form of pseudo Rough Skin, along with stronger Earthquakes at no real cost. Through the use of Explosion, it can gift a free switch to an ally with a stronger Earthquake.

Last edited:
Resubmitting Seismic Terrain

Name: Seismic Terrain
Seismic Surge: Hippowdon
Z Move: Attack +1
Secret Power: Mud Bomb animation, 30% chance to lower accuracy by 1
Effect 1: The Special Defense of any Ground-types is boosted by 1.2x. This does stack with Sandstorm if the Pokemon is Rock/Ground.
Effect 2: Grounded Pokemon can hit Flying-types and Levitating Pokemon with Earthquake, Bulldoze, Earth Power, Mud-Slap, Mud Shot, Mud Bomb, Drill Run, and Magnitude. This damage is always neutral (i.e. Mothim and Archeops get hit neutrally by Diggersby's Earthquake in Seismic Terrain, even though Bug resists Ground and Rock is weak to Ground). Mold Breaker takes priority over Seismic Terrain (So Rotom-Wash is still hit super effectively by Excadrill's Earthquake).
Attack: Onix line, (Kanto) Sandshrew line, Diglett Line, Alolan Diglett line, (Kanto) Marowak, Rhyhorn line, Donphan, Larvitar line, Numel line, Groudon, Torterra, Wormadam-Sandy, Gabite & Garchomp, Hippowdon, Sandile line, Diggersby, Zygarde, Sandygast line, Mudbray line.
Seed: Seismic Seed
Seed Effect: Special Defense +1
Competitive Use: You know what's annoying? Flying-types switching into Earthquake. You know how we fix that? Well, Gravity Landorus-T. But, you know a better way to fix that? Seismic Terrain! With Seismic Terrain, Ground-types not named Zygarde no longer have to worry about Flying-types and Levitating Pokemon switching into to most of their moves, allowing Ground-types to forgo certain coverage if they want to (i.e. Garchomp no longer needs (Z-) Fire Fang to hit Celesteela or Skarmory, certain Pokemon don't need Rock coverage to not get walled by Flying-types anymore, etc). Hippowdon gets it to give it a clear niche over the other Sand setter, Tyranitar, by letting it set up something else. Also, it gets Stealth Rock and reliable recovery, meaning that it can act as a nice lead with Terrain Extender.

Will do some others later

Some others:

Name: Exoskeleton Terrain
Exoskeletal Surge: Durant
Z Move: Defense +1
Secret Power: Lunge animation, 30% chance to lower the opponent's Defense by 1
Effect 1: The Defense and Special Defense of Bug-types is boosted by 1.35x, grounded or not.
Effect 2: Every turn, all grounded Pokemon have a 50% chance to dispel their poison, heal their burns, or rid their paralysis (It's basically a better version of Shed Skin without being able to get rid of sleep or freezing)
Attack: Metapod, Kakuna, Silcoon, Cascoon, Spewpa (all of the previous 5 Pokemon get it at Level 50), Pinsir, Scyther line, Shuckle, Spinarak line, Pineco line, Heracross, Shedinja, Burmy line, Karrablast, Shelmet line, Durant, Vikavolt, Dewpider line, Golisopod
Seed: Exoskeletal Seed
Seed Effect: Special Attack +1
Competitive Use: Many real world insects have protective exoskeletons that literally enable them to live. I mean, without the skeletons, rain might be able to crush some of them. Yet, most Bug-types have really bad bulk, barring a few like Forretress and Buzzwole. So, why not fixing that with some real world biology? Exoskeleton Terrain is meant to increase bulk of all Bug-types, making them very scary while the terrain is up. The reason why the bulk boost makes these little buggers so scary is because allows them to set up easily by shrugging off hits and using their threatening set up moves like Swords Dance or Quiver Dance. This means that Bug-types who need to set up (Mothim's Quiver Dance) or love to set up (Mega Scizors' Swords Dance) can now sweep more easily, since they got the chance to set up. And, if you think that status can stop them, you're right! I mean, exoskeletons can't fight off everything, like crippling their speed or attack power. However, to combat this, the protective terrain can just shed itself, like a bug or reptile shedding their skin, removing a crippling status. This even works for non-Bug-types, too, as long as their standing on the terrain. Though, these Pokemon can still be frozen in their tracks or put to sleep and eventually KO'd. Exoskeletal Surge was given to Durant because, A) Look at it, it's 90% exoskeleton, B) It needs the Special Defense boost, C) It's not viable (yet) it OU, and D) It would love more opportunities to set up (Z-) Hone Claws.

Last edited:
Resubmitting Murky Terrain and Barren Terrain
Name: Murky Terrain
Murky Surge: Spiritomb
Z-move: Boosts defense 1 stage (Works because z-effect happens first)
Secret Power: Dark Pulse animation, 30% chance to inflict torment on opponent.
Effect 1: Grounded Pokemon's psychic moves are weakened by 50%
Effect 2: Grounded Pokemon are unable to raise or lower their stats.
Attack: Spiritomb, Murkrow, Honchkrow, Stunky, Skuntank, Vullaby, Mandibuzz, Absol, Purloin, Liepard, Zorua, Zoroark, Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon, Inkay, Malamar
Seed: Murky Seed
Seed Effect: Resets all stat changes on field to zero. (Can't raise a stat because the terrain prevents that)
Competitive Use: Bulky Pokemon really benefit from this terrain as it creates a pseudo-unaware effect to stop setup sweepers in their tracks, and combos well with the Murky Seed or Haze to reset the opponent's stats. It also helps offensive teams by helping Fighting and Poison types beat Psychics, and negates Sticky Web and Intimidate.

Name: Barren Terrain
Barren Surge: Sandslash-Regular
Z-move: Boosts attack by one stage.
Secret Power: Earthquake animation, 30% chance to transform the target into the ground type.
Effect 1: All grounded Pokemon's grass moves are weakened by 50%.
Effect 2: Grounded non-ground type Pokemon cannot be missed by attacks, excluding OHKO moves.
Attack: Sandshrew-Regular, Sandslash-Regular, Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Sandyghast, Palossand, Diglett (Both), Dugtrio (Both), Cubone, Marowak, Trapinch, Vibrava, Flygon, Sandile, Krokorok, Krookodile, Golett, Golurk
Seed: Barren Seed
Seed Effect: Boosts defense one stage.
Competitive Use: This terrain allows many otherwise unviable moves, such as Zap Cannon and Dynamic Punch, to be used to great effect. Powerful moves can be used with less worry about accuracy, a great asset to offensive teams. Ironically enough, flying types may benefit the most, being able to fire off unmissable Hurricanes without fear of always being hit themselves.

All other terrain submissions I'm making this week will go here.
Name: Regal Terrain
Regal Surge: Druddigon
Z-move: Raises attack by one stage.
Secret Power: Outrage animation, 30% chance to flinch the target.
Effect 1: Strengthens dragon type moves used by grounded Pokemon by 50%.
Effect 2: Type immunities of grounded Pokemon are turned into neutralities. Does not affect ability-based immunities.
Attack: Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Vibrava, Flygon, Altaria, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Latias, Latios, Druddigon, Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon, Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o
Seed: Regal Seed
Seed Effect: Raises special attack by one stage.
Competitive Use: Dragons are generally powerful, but have most of their stabs are either too weak (Dragon Pulse), too inaccurate (Dragon Rush), or too risky (Outrage) to use effectively. Regal terrain fixes this, both by giving a much-needed power boost to Dragon Pulse and by preventing fairy-types from freely switching in on an Outrage. This terrain is also helpful to Fighting/Normal types such as Bewear, which have an unresisted STAB combination with immunities negated, or just any Pokemon that use moves with immunities.

Name: Swarming Terrain
Swarming Surge: Leavanny (Why does Vespiquen have to be non-grounded... owo)
Z-move: Raises speed by one stage.
Nature Power: Signal Beam
Secret Power: Attack Order animation, 30% chance to inflict infestation on the target.
Effect 1: Bug type moves used by grounded Pokemon are powered up by 50%.
Effect 2: Damaging moves used by grounded Pokemon hit twice; the second hit deals 10% damage.
Attack: Butterfree, Beedrill, Venonat, Venomoth, Ledyba, Ledian, Yanma, Yanmega, Nincada, Ninjask, Shedinja, Burmy, Wormadam, Combee, Vespiquen, Sewaddle, Swadloon, Leavanny, Joltik, Galvantula, Larvesta, Volcorona, Vivillon, Vikavolt
Seed: Swarming Seed
Seed Effect: Raises speed by one stage.
Competitive Use: Well, pseudo-parental bond for everyone. This terrain gives bug types a substantial power boost for their relatively weak stabs, and allows Lunge and Struggle Bug to be much more potent at disruption by halving the target's stats. While the power boost from the second hit isn't much, it does allow focus sashes to be rendered worthless, and triggers many secondary effects more often. Scald now has a 51% burn chance, Power-Up-Punch doubles attack stat, Dragon Tail/Circle Throw allow for two rounds of hazard damage, and much more. A special mention goes out to Volcorona, which gets two Fiery Dances to boost special attack and gets a super-powered Bug Buzz to boot.

Name: Spectral Terrain
Spectral Surge: Cofagrigus
Z-move: Raises defense by one stage.
Secret Power: Shadow Punch animation, 30% chance to disable the target's last used move.
Effect 1: The power of normal type moves is decreased by 50%.
Effect 2: When a grounded non-ghost type Pokemon's HP drops below 25%, it faints at the end of the turn.
Attack: Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Misdreavus, Mismagius, Shuppet, Banette, Duskull, Dusclops, Dusknoir, Spiritomb, Froslass, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, Frillish, Jellicent, Phantump, Trevenant, Pumpkaboo, Gourgeist, Sandygast, Palossand
Seed: Spectral Seed
Competitive Use: Spectral terrain completely changes the dynamic of Pokemon, with all grounded non-ghost types effectively having 25% less health. Focus Sash and Sturdy do absolutely nothing, sweepers only need to lower an opponents HP to 25% to knock them out, while Toxic-stallers take less time to defeat their prey. Normal types are also weakened, although that effect isn't amazingly substantial, although is still of note.

Last edited:
Resubmitting Muddy Terrain.
Name: Muddy Terrain
Muddy Surge: Seismitoad
Z Move: Evasion +1 (Banned)
Secret Power: Accuracy -1
Effect 1: Pokemon that aren't part Water- or Ground-type have halved speed. (2/3 speed if it's too powerful)
Effect 2: Pokemon take half damage from Fire- and Electric-type attacks.
Attack: Swampert, Gastrodon, Kingdra, Rhydon, Golem, Regirock
Seed: Muddy Seed
Competitive Use: Both Ground- and Water- types are (usually) quite slow and bulky. This move helps both Ground types and Water types play to those strengths by dropping everything's speed dramatically.

Name: Glitchy Terrain (get it because bugs are associated with glitches)
Message: The terra<name of player>? Poké BB<name of pokemon> de W N!
Undefined Surge: Vivillon
Z Move: Random Stat +1 (not Acc/Eva)
Nature Power: Metronome
Secret Power: Freeze
Effect 1: Grounded Pokemon have a 25% chance each to use the move with the higher or lower index number than the one they were queueing. (e.g. A grounded Pokemon that selected Scald has a 50% chance to use Scald, a 25% chance to use Ally Switch, and a 25% chance to use Shell Smash)
Effect 2: Grounded Pokemon take neutral damage from all moves(including status moves that normally recognize immunities like Toxic and Thunder Wave) and do not receive STAB on any moves(Adaptability does not take effect).
Attack: Vivillon, Parasect, Porygon-Z, Nihilego, Genesect
Seed: ????? Seed
Seed Effect: Random Stat(not acc/eva) +1
Competitive Use: Well shit. Vivillon's dex number awakened and caused it to become a lovecraftian mess. The whole point is to take Bug and turn it from a terrible defensive type into something that most Bugs can actually work with. Additionally, Bug has a great slew of status moves available that most Pokemon simply don't care about because either Bug types have terrible stats/type interactions or they're outright immune to the move. This terrain helps emphasize it because this is yet another amazing bug-type support move, but this has a severe impact on most non-bug pokemon that is impossible to ignore. However you could cause your foe's gengar to use quiver dance and lose yourself the game so this high-risk like pretty much any (non-scizor) bug type.

Last edited:
Thanks for the votes guys! Sorry that I was not able to vote :(

anyway, here are my submissions:

Name: Web Terrain
Web Surge: Leavanny
Secret Power: Bug Bu=ite animation; 30% chance to reduce target's speed by one stage
Effect 1: Bug-type moves from grounded Pokémon gain 50% power
Effect 2: Grounded Pokémon have their speed reduced by one stage when they enter the battlefield
Learned by: All non-Flying Pokémon that learn Sticky Web
Legendary Seed: Special Defense +1
Competitive Use: Buffs Leavany hard. Its base 103 Attack becomes quite usable after a 1.5x boost to its Bug moves and it essencially gains a Choice Scarf boost because it activates the Terrain after entering the battlefield. It is still extremely weak to Flying-types and has bad coverage though :P

Name: Ominous Terrain
Message: "The battlefield got affected by a Spooky presence"
Ominous Surge: Dusknoir
Secret Power: Shadow Claw animation; 30% chance to reduce the targets Defense by one stage
Effect 1: Ghost-type moves from grounded Pokémon gain 50% power
Effect 2: Grounded Pokémon cannot use healing moves
Learned by: Every Grounded Ghost-type
Legendary Seed: Special Defense +1
Competitive Use: Can be used to shur down Stall, since loosing recovery is a really big deal for Stall. Also buffs Ghost Spam as if it wasn't powerful enough already, but it gives more relevance to Normal-types

Name: Legendary Terrain
Message: "The battlefield got affected by a Legendary presence"
Legenadary Surge: Druddigon
Secret Power: Dragon Rush animation; 30% chance to flinch
Effect 1: Dragon-type moves from grounded Pokémon gain 50% power
Effect 2: Grounded Pokémon have their critical hit ratio increased by one stage
Learned by: Ampharos, Kingdra, Sceptile, Gible, Gabite, Garchomp, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus, Druddigon, Reshiram ,Zekrom, Kyurem, Dragalge, Tyrunt, Tyrantrum, Goomy, Sliggoo, Goodra, Zyagarde, Tortunator, Drampa, Jangmo-O, Hakamo-O, Kommo-O and Guzzlord.
Legendary Seed: Defense +1
Competitive Use: Make Dragons great again >:D

Last edited:
Resubmitting Murky Terrain
Name: Murky Terrain
Murky Surge: Spiritomb
Z-move: Boosts defense 1 stage (Works because z-effect happens first)
Secret Power: Dark Pulse animation, 30% chance to inflict torment on opponent.
Effect 1: Grounded Pokemon's psychic moves are weakened by 50%
Effect 2: Grounded Pokemon are unable to raise or lower their stats.
Attack: Spiritomb, Murkrow, Honchkrow, Stunky, Skuntank, Vullaby, Mandibuzz, Absol, Purloin, Liepard, Zorua, Zoroark, Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon, Inkay, Malamar
Seed: Murky Seed
Seed Effect: Resets all stat changes on field to zero. (Can't raise a stat because the terrain prevents that)
Competitive Use: Bulky Pokemon really benefit from this terrain as it creates a pseudo-unaware effect to stop setup sweepers in their tracks, and combos well with the Murky Seed or Haze to reset the opponent's stats. It also helps offensive teams by helping Fighting and Poison types beat Psychics, and negates Sticky Web and Intimidate.

All other terrain submissions I'm making this week will go here.
Name: Regal Terrain
Regal Surge: Druddigon
Z-move: Raises attack by one stage.
Secret Power: Outrage animation, 30% chance to flinch the target.
Effect 1: Strengthens dragon type moves used by grounded Pokemon by 50%.
Effect 2: Type immunities of grounded Pokemon are turned into neutralities. Does not affect ability-based immunities.
Attack: Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Vibrava, Flygon, Altaria, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Latias, Latios, Druddigon, Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon, Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o
Seed: Regal Seed
Competitive Use: Dragons are generally powerful, but have most of their stabs are either too weak (Dragon Pulse), too inaccurate (Dragon Rush), or too risky (Outrage) to use effectively. Regal terrain fixes this, both by giving a much-needed power boost to Dragon Pulse and by preventing fairy-types from freely switching in on an Outrage. This terrain is also helpful to Fighting/Normal types such as Bewear, which have an unresisted STAB combination with immunities negated, or just any Pokemon that use moves with immunities.

Name: Acidic Terrain
Acidic Surge: Swalot
Z-move: Raises defense by one stage.
Nature Power: Sludge Wave
Secret Power: Poison Tail animation, 30% chance to badly poison the target.
Effect 1: Grounded Pokemon's poison type attacks are strengthened by 50%.
Effect 2: Grounded non-poison type Pokemon are no longer immune to status afflictions and status-inducing moves. (e.g. Grass Pokemon can be put to sleep by Spore, Electric Pokemon can be paralyzed).
Attack: Koffing, Weezing, Grimer-Regular, Muk-Regular, Ekans, Arbok, Zubat, Golbat, Crobat, Spinarak, Ariados, Quilfish, Gulpin, Swalot, Croagunk, Toxicroak, Trubbish, Garbodor, Skrelp, Dragalge, Salandit, Salazzle
Seed: Acidic Seed
Seed Effect: Raises defense by one stage.
Competitive Use: Poison types are usually fairly bulky, and excel at stalling out the opponent with their own status condition, poisoned. With the ability to poison all non-poison type Pokemon (barring a few outliers such as Skarmory and Gligar), poison types become a lot more effective at stalling out the opponent. They also gain a large power boost to their moves, helping out physical poison types in particular, which usually have to choose between high risk in Gunk Shot or low power in Poison Jab. Salazzle in particular benefits, being able to fire off Toxics and Will o' Wisps at will without being hit by them itself, and can also afford to run Oblivious for taunt immunity.

Name: Deluge Terrain
Type: Water
Deluge Surge: Lumineon
Z-move: Raises special attack by one stage.
Nature Power: Muddy Water
Secret Power: Aqua Tail animation, 30% chance to trap the target in a whirlpool.
Effect 1: Grounded water-type Pokemon recover 1/16th of their maximum HP each turn; Pokemon weak to water lose 1/16th of their maximum HP each turn.
Effect 2: Type effectiveness is strengthened by 50% for grounded Pokemon. (Super effective moves deal 50% more damage, resisted moves deal 50% less damage.)
Attack: Psyduck, Golduck, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Politoed, Seel, Dewgong, Lapras, Vaporeon, Chinchou, Lanturn, Mantyke, Mantine, Surskit, Masquerain, Wailmer, Wailord, Milotic, Luvdisc, Buizel, Floatzel, Finneon, Lumineon, Frillish, Jellicent, Wishiwashi, Pyukumuku
Seed: Raises special defense by one stage.
Competitive Use: This terrain allows water Pokemon to generally be bulkier by providing reliable recovery, providing chip damage against certain Pokemon, and letting them switch in more freely on resisted hits. It also increases their offensive pressure, as it almost ensures that a Pokemon will faint if it takes super-effective damage. A few notable water-type users or Lanturn, which can work as a nice Volt Switch user that can compensate for one of its weaknesses, and Seaking, which only has one weakness due to Lightningrod.
We're not doing Water and Poison terrain this week

Last edited:
Resubmitting Cursed Terrain

Name: Cursed Terrain
Cursed Surge: Chandelure (instead of Flame Body)
Secret Power: Shadow Sneak animation; chance to flinch the target
Effect 1: Ghost type moves used by grounded Pokemon gain 50% power
Effect 2: Grouded Non-Ghost Pokemon have their speed reduced by 33% (equivalent for 1 stage); grounded Ghost Pokemon have their HP reduced by 1/8 each turn (I know that's essentialy 2 effects, but I wanted to make it like a Curse move. if that's considered cheating, sorry, will edit)
Attack: Banette, Froslass, Gengar, Jellicent, Marowak-A, Mimikyu
Seed: Cursed Seed
Competitive Use: Chandelure outspeeds most non-ghost and non-flying pokemon and becomes a powerful sweeper, but at a cost of wearing them down. It also acts as a pseudo sticky web for ghost-type, flying-type and levitate teammates.

New ideas:

Name: Scale Terrain
Flood Surge: Kommo-o (instead of Overcoat)
Z Move: Defense +1
Nature Power: Clanging Scales
Secret Power: Dragon Pulse animation; chance to flinch the target
Effect 1: Contact moves used against grounded Pokemon have their power decreased by 33%
Effect 2: Grounded Pokemon are immune to Powder moves
Attack: Drampa, Milotic, Sceptile, Turtonator, Zygarde
Seed: Scale Seed
Seed Effect: Defense +1
Competitive Use: Makes Kommo-o physically bulkier, and helps special walls to survive physical hits better. Also prevents Spore sleep spam.

Name: Pollen Terrain
Virtual Surge: Ribombee (instead of Honey Gather)
Nature Power: Pollen Puff
Secret Power: chance to put target to sleep
Effect 1: Fire type moves used by grounded Pokemon have 50% recoil damage
Effect 2: Secondary effects do not activate against grounded Pokemon
Attack: Bellossom, Dustox, Lilligant, Mothim, Ribombee, Surskit, Venomoth, Vileplume, Volcarona, Wormadam
Seed: Pollen Seed
Competitive Use: Provides somewhat of a protection against Fire type moves. Also negates secondary effects, which is useful against Scald/Disharge spam or random defense drops.

Name: Pollinated Terrain
Message: "The battlefield became covered with dusty pollen! "
Pollination Surge: Ribombee (Instead of Shield Dust)
Z Move: Sp. Def +1
Secret Power: Pollen Puff animation; 30% chance to lower target's special Defense by 1 Stage.
Effect 1: Bug-type moves from grounded Pokémon gain 50% power
Effect 2: Bullet Moves (such as those prevented by Bullet Proof) fail and instead damage the user by 1/8 their maximum HP
Learned by: Ribombee, Cutiefly, Combee, Victreebel, Lilligant, Sunflora, Venomoth, Bellosom,
Seed: Pollen Seed
Competitive Use: Gives Bug-types the power they deserve, being the best Type there is, after all. Also prevents some good moves from being used for a bit, just, yknow, don't usem yourself during that time. This includes Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Seed Bomb, Gyro Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Shadow Ball. I probably missed some too. Also, in doubles, provides Pokémon with the Attack Nature Power the Power to heal their allies with Pollen Puff as well, if that matters as well.

Name: Night March Terrain
Message: "You can sense the Night Marchers haunting the battlefield!"
Night Surge: Gourgeist (Instead of Pickup)
Z Move: Sp. Atk +1
Secret Power: Shadow Ball animation; +25 power for each fainted ally with either the Night Surge ability or Night March Terrain attack.
Effect 1: Ghost-type moves from grounded Pokémon gain 50% power
Effect 2: After a grounded Pokemon faints, the next attack made by a grounded Pokémon from the side which received the fainted Pokémon has 1.5 power.
Learned by: Gourgeist, Punpkaboo, Joltik, Galvantula, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure.
Seed: Night Seed
Seed Effect: Attack +1
Competitive Use: AKA Revenge Terrain, Night March Terrain allows you to harshly strike back after a Pokémon attacks, making revenge killers much better, especially if they are of the ghost Type. Your opponent also gets this effect, but that's to make it fair of course :/
Also a little thing to notice, since your opponent also can take advantage of this and revenge kill your revenge killer, you could find a way to run a protecting move on it.

(Also high-five to anyone who gets this reference, which I'm betting there is a few)

Last edited:
Pollinated Terrain by Rainyman123
Murky Terrain by Phoenix_Alchemist
Mystic Terrain by Mygavolt
Ominous Terrain by Exploudit
Sandy Terrain by ChrystalFalchion

Last edited:
OK guys, voting's done - here are the winners

Pollenated Terrain

Murky Terrain

Sandy Terrain

Regal Terrain

Ominous Terrain

Thank you for for voting, the next slate is up! The terrains we'll be creating are for the following types:

Flying

Poison

Steel

Water

You have until Friday 9 pm GMT to submit your nominations. Happy posting!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)