AAA Almost Any Ability

Time to share a set that’s kinda overshadowed by Lele but still works!

Ctrl Alt Delete (Volcanion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

Yeah, Volcanion. Now I know that this thing struggles with every defensive water in existence, but it decently chunks Fini with Sludge Wave and Pex with Earth Power. Otherwise it hits like a freight train, and nothing really wants to try to switch in to Steam Eruption anyways lest they get burned. It typically is able to deal with large chunks of an opponents team. However, while it works well with good hazard removal and something to kill bulky waters, it is usually overshadowed by Lele (except it can more consistantly kill steels).

I just started playing AAA recently don’t kill me

Edit - I just realized that technically Volcanion hits harder than Lele

Last edited:

UT

The sand hurts my feelings
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Time to share a set that’s kinda overshadowed by Lele but still works!

Ctrl Alt Delete (Volcanion) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

Yeah, Volcanion. Now I know that this thing struggles with every defensive water in existence, but it decently chunks Fini with Sludge Wave and Pex with Earth Power. Otherwise it hits like a freight train, and nothing really wants to try to switch in to Steam Eruption anyways lest they get burned. It typically is able to deal with large chunks of an opponents team. However, while it works well with good hazard removal and something to kill bulky waters, it is usually overshadowed by Lele (except it can more consistantly kill steels).

I just started playing AAA recently don’t kill me
Welcome to AAA! This is a cool looking set, but using Sheer Force with Steam Eruption means you’ll never get burns, which is sad. But, there is another similar Volc set that is almost as powerful: Magic Guard

Volcanion @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Rash Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Flare Blitz
- Sludge Bomb / Earth Power

The neat thing about this set is you no longer need hazard control, can burn switchins, and with the sneaky addition of Flare Blitz, still beat Blissey:

0 Atk Life Orb Volcanion Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 360-425 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It trades a little power off of your set, but allows for easier use, more utility through burns, and still beats our best special switchins.

I hope you found this reply helpful, and if you ever see me on Showdown, I hope you’ll reach out for a game, questions, or advice!

Welcome to AAA! This is a cool looking set, but using Sheer Force with Steam Eruption means you’ll never burns, which is sad. But, there is another similar Volc set that is almost as powerful: Magic Guard

Volcanion @ Life Orb
Rash Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Flare Blitz
- Earth Power

The neat thing about this set is you no longer need hazard control, can burn switchins, and with the sneaky addition of Flare Blitz, still beat Blissey:

0 Atk Life Orb Volcanion Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 360-425 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It trades a little power off of your set, but allows for easier use, more utility through burns, and still beats our best special switchins.

I hope you found this reply helpful, and if you ever see me on Showdown, I hope you’ll reach out for a game, questions, or advice!
Thanks for the set! Will do and will try to keep exploring. Here are a few things that pop out to me as powerful or maybe even broken.

Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

Nothing but sheer power here. Hits like a freight train.

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

A 150 Base Power STAB move off of that special attack stat with good coverage and nice tools in Taunt and Calm Mind. Also immune to Hazards as a plus.

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Glare
- Outrage

Honestly, Adaptablity Zydog is terrrifying to me. Nearly no switch ins, and can cripple things with Glare. Also can revenge-kill with Espeed.

This probably isn’t the most accurate, but this is my hot take upon first looking at this. Thanks for the advice guys!

UT

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Thanks for the set! Will do and will try to keep exploring. Here are a few things that pop out to me as powerful or maybe even broken.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

A 150 Base Power STAB move off of that special attack stat with good coverage and nice tools in Taunt and Calm Mind. Also immune to Hazards as a plus.

Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Glare
- Outrage

Honestly, Adaptablity Zydog is terrrifying to me. Nearly no switch ins, and can cripple things with Glare. Also can revenge-kill with Espeed.

This probably isn’t the most accurate, but this is my hot take upon first looking at this. Thanks for the advice guys!
You definitely have a good eye for potentially good mons! If I may make a few small suggestions to make them even better:
Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Beat Up
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard / Low Kick / Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

Technician Weavile is one of the premier wallbreakers in the meta, but you missed a key move: Beat Up. It's also Technician boosted, and with the right team, can hit extremely hard.

Magic Guard you were on the right track, but it likes having Swords Dance to help it set up and win against fatter teams. Technician is generally regarded as the better set right now though.
Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off / Substitute
- Calm Mind / Knock Off / Explosion

Definitely on the right track here, but Knock off greatly improves its matchup against Assault Vest mons, while Substitute lets it win against Blissey and Chansey. Explosion can also be used to take out a difficult threat and let a teammate win.
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Glare
- Outrage

You've got the right set here, and it's true that Zydog can be hard to switch into. However, there are a few common switchins like Zarude and Dauntless Shield Mew that can consistently frustrate it; it's also very frail and hard to get in safely. Some other wallbreakers to consider are the above Weavile, Terrakion, and Lele
Also if you have not found them yet, there are some great resources for learning AAA like the Resources Thread, which includes sample sets of most of the viable mons, and the Good Cores thread, which can help you learn some good common mons to start teambuilding with. Happy building!

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Glare
- Outrage

welcome to the tier! glad you're having fun with it, but i feel like i should say that zydog isnt very good in the current meta. as it stands, it cant break the popular dauntless shield mew, or regenerator physdef fini(252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 160-190 (46.5 - 55.2%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO). however, the blaceph set and tech weavile sets are really good. if you want i can get on showdown and we can play a few friendlies, just to test out your current team

edit: on the physdef fini calc, its mostly not safe because fini can simply regen the damage off and switch into something that can handle tarrows spam(i.e. zarude, ds mew, ds corv, etc). another thing that is a bit scary for it is weavile, since if it locks into tarrows, it wont be able to handle ice shards with its higher priority bracket

Hi guys, im top 2 in ladder and I wanted to share my team. Genesect wins of the matches with ZAP CANNON Parahax
1633037307388.png

1633036945321.png

Mew @ Focus Sash/Red Card
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Misty Explosion
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
Sucide lead.

Corviknight @ Leftovers/Weakness Policy
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Trip
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Entei @ Magnet /HDB
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Stomping Tantrum
- Curse
ES Curse

Tapu Lele @ Big Root
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
Triage Big Root

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen
Screen Support

Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leech Life
- Blizzard
- Zap Cannon
- Shift Gear
Zap Cannon go brr

Hi guys, im top 2 in ladder and I wanted to share my team. Genesect wins of the matches with ZAP CANNON Parahax
View attachment 375205
View attachment 375204
Mew @ Focus Sash/Red Card
Ability: Mold Breaker
Timid Nature
- Misty Explosion
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
Sucide lead.

Corviknight @ Leftovers/Weakness Policy
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Trip
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Entei @ Magnet /HDB
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Stomping Tantrum
- Curse
ES Curse

Tapu Lele @ Big Root
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
Triage Big Root

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen
Screen Support

Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
Naive Nature
- Leech Life
- Blizzard
- Zap Cannon
- Shift Gear
Zap Cannon go brr
Sick team, and congrats on leveling so high in the rankings! Might I propose Hatterene instead of Lele? With Triage, the speed difference is negligible, but Hat gets a little bit more SpAtk, higher defenses, and access to Giga Drain. My build is:

Slurp Slurp (Hatterene) @ Big Root
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Giga Drain
- Calm Mind

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
1634662327946.png1634662335217.png1634662361222.png1634662367533.png1634662377182.png1634662351433.png
Posting this team I made for no reason other than the fact that it has an Avalugg on it. The main idea was to figure out a way to do something cool with Sub CM Tapu Fini, which in theory can sub on a lot of defensive pivots (see: Swampert and Corviknight) and then become a real nuisance once it starts calm minding. One of the issues that Tapu Fini has is losing its subs really easily to things like Seismic Toss Blissey, so the rest of the team looks to annoy blobs enough to make that a non-issue. Rocky Helmet Regenerator Corv switches into those pretty much infinitely, and magic guard avalugg threatens a body press whenever it comes in [or a Toxic vs non mbounce variants].

Edit: Forgot to explain why there's an Avalugg, so here goes:
:ss/Weavile:(secondary Weavile switchin so that fini never gets knocked off)

Isaiah

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Long time council member (and former tier leader) Jrdn is stepping down from the council. Thanks for everything and especially encouraging me to get involved in the first place! Additionally, shiloh will be stepping down as well.

In replacement, UnnerfTalonflame will be joining the council. He has contributed massively to discussion/metagame development both on the forums and on the Discord!

Edit: Forgot to mention that we're currently working on a VR update and should have that shipped out before World Cup pools begin. The sample teams are still fairly up-to-date, so we will not be opening submissions for those until World Cup playoffs at the earliest. Lastly, currently there are no bans/suspect tests up for discussion, but if anything changes I'll be sure to post updates!

Here's a role compendium + threats list to help for teambuilding. Ngl the only reason this post exists is because I want to have the sprites for myself but you're welcome. I ordered things as much as possible to make them intuitive.

Physical threats
:terrakion: :zapdos-galar: / :zarude: :dhelmise: :tapu bulu: / :barraskewda: / :garchomp: :landorus-therian: / :talonflame: :cinderace: :entei: :arcanine: / :genesect:
Niche and annoying : :kommo-o::heracross::conkeldurr: :lucario: :haxorus: :zygarde-10: :mamoswine: :golisopod: :bisharp: :stakataka:

Special threats
:heatran: :blacephalon: / :tapu koko: :zapdos: :xurkitree: / :azelf: :latios: :latias: / :tapu lele: :togekiss: / :volcarona: :moltres: / :volcanion: :primarina: :inteleon: / :cobalion: :genesect:

Rocks
:heatran: :ferrothorn: :cobalion: :kommo-o: :garchomp: :swampert: :landorus-therian: :skarmory: :blissey: :mew:
Niche : :nihilego: :hippowdon: :terrakion: :jirachi:

Spikes / T-Spikes
:ferrothorn: :skarmory: :golisopod: :mew: / :nidoqueen: :nihilego: :toxapex:

Removal
:tapu-fini: :corviknight: :mew: :moltres: :landorus-therian: :mandibuzz: :zapdos:
Niche : :tapu koko: :blastoise: :scizor: :dhelmise: :conkeldurr: :volcarona:

Last edited:

UT

Appeals + C&C Lead
With Weavile coming up again in the AAA Discord, I thought I would take a few minutes to share my views on how it stands with regards to the rest of the meta. I will be representing my own views, and not the views of the council.

The short version is that I believe that Weavile is the best physical breaker in the meta, and one of the best mons overall, but I do not consider it to be out of line with the power level of the rest of the tier and do consider it not broken. I recognize that the line between good and too good can be very blurry, and I have a lot of respect for the arguments calling for it to be banned, but do not share them myself.

The most common point that I hear with regards to Weavile being broken is it has a very limited pool of reliable switchins, principally including Tapu Fini, Cobalion, and Intimidate/Dauntless Shield Corviknight (and Skarmory, which is similar but less common). While this is very true, I do not find that out of line with our other most common breakers such as Terrakion, Tapu Lele, and Blacephalon. Banded Terrakion's common reliable switchins are basically limited to Corv and Mew, and those still fall to the Sniper set. SFLO Lele has even fewer switchins without resorting to niche immunity abilities or hoping that Focus Blast misses. Yes, Weavile's speed tier makes it better than these examples, but the argument of "it forces X, Y, or Z onto your team to swtich into" is unconvincing to me when that's true of many of our better breakers.

Another common point that I hear is that Weavile forces you to either include one of those three mons, or automatically lose to it. While including a direct check is obviously the best way to handle Weavile (or any threat), I also do not believe that to be the case. Weavile is still a frail Ice type, and it is very possible to build teams with soft checks that do not let Weavile in easily like this one from The Number Man or this one from Think.

This touches on another point that I think frequently gets overlooked in the Weavile debates is the opportunity cost to getting Weavile on the field. It is not an easy mon to support or build with, especially the Technician Band set, because it provides virtually no defensive utility (outside of an immunity to Psychic) and cannot safely hard switch into any mon ranked B+ or higher; every single one either can KO it outright, frequently carries status like Thunder Wave, or frequently pivots especially when the opponent knows there is a Weavile. This also applies to attempting to set up with the Swords Dance set; if your opponent predicts aggressively, you can be left with a dead or crippled Weavile while trying to set up. If we start looking at the battle with Weavile already on the field safely, it does appear broken. But, I think the best Weavile counter-play happens before it hits the field, and does limit its effectiveness, while still being a very good mon.

I think this replay illustrates my point about momentum and getting Weavile on the field well. Even though my opponent is able to get in Weavile a few times early, each time they do I am able to gain momentum out of it and put the pressure right back on their team. Even though they overwhelm Corv, they are unable to find another opportunity to get Weavile back in safely until the battle is nearly concluded.

In short, while I do believe that Weavile is likely the best offensive mon in the meta, I believe that it has adequate counter-play and drawbacks to be considered balanced within the tier. I do not believe that it forces Fini and Corv onto every team, but rather that they are extremely good mons that would be on the majority of teams anyway, but happen to check Weavile as well. I do believe you can build successful teams without them and still have a solid match up against Weavile. I do believe that once on the field it is very, very strong, but getting it on the field should not be overlooked.

My views are not static, and I know that I am fallible. I do not present this as the gospel truth about Weavile, but hope that this sheds more understanding on how I view Weavile. Please feel free to disagree, explain why you disagree, and hopefully we can have a better understanding.

Last edited:

Isaiah

UM/OM Leader
:ss/Weavile:
CB Technician | SD MGLO | Other stuff | Bonus set

Certainly, Weavile's status as a physical attacker/breaker is indisputably of the topmost tier of AAA. It's fast and has access to strong STAB moves + coverage. The two main sets that come up in any discussion are CB Technician (pretty much always carrying Beat Up) and a Swords Dance Magic Guard set not unlike its OU counterpart. Both of these sets play differently:

Choice Band Technician Weavile is usually surrounded by teammates with relatively (usually 90 or higher base) high base attack and seeks to capitalize on the early game as much as possible, before hazards and status are a part of the mix. For unprepared teams, this usually means getting thoroughly dismantled by Beat Up very early in a game.

Swords Dance Magic Guard Weavile usually has a bit more variation in its teammates, particularly because its lack of susceptibility to hazards chip means it relies on hazard control support a lot less and can double in a bit more often.

Even with this established, I do not think Weavile is too much to handle. In my opinion, there's a decent amount of counterplay (able to perform to varying degrees) and it's as follows:

Defensive
:Avalugg:
:Cobalion: (if not Low Kick)
:Corviknight: / :Skarmory:
:Tapu Fini: (if not Poison Jab)
:Toxapex: if Prankster

Offensive
:Azelf: if Choice Scarf
:Barraskewda:
:Blacephalon: if Choice Scarf
:Genesect: if Choice Scarf
:Talonflame:
:Tapu Koko:
:Tapu Lele: if Triage
:Togekiss: if Triage
:Zamazenta-Crowned:
:Zarude: if Grassy Glide + GSurge

Barring niche things like Avalugg (and arguably Zamazenta-Crowned), I'd say everything I've listed here is certainly good enough to warrant putting on a team, and even outside of this list there are honorable mentions of Pokemon that don't exactly beat Weavile, but are typically able to take a hit and kill in return (e.g. Ferrothorn, Primarina). I would also say this list is similar in quantity to what you'd expect when listing answers to several of the more prominent threats at the moment, so it's not as if this is an awfully restrictive list or anything.

In any case, listing things out usually only serves to create a picture of what approaching things looks like from a teambuilding perspective. Just as important is how Weavile actually impacts things in its battles.
This touches on another point that I think frequently gets overlooked in the Weavile debates is the opportunity cost to getting Weavile on the field. It is not an easy mon to support or build with, especially the Technician Band set, because it provides virtually no defensive utility (outside of an immunity to Psychic) and cannot safely hard switch into any mon ranked B+ or higher; every single one either can KO it outright, frequently carries status like Thunder Wave, or frequently pivots especially when the opponent knows there is a Weavile. This also applies to attempting to set up with the Swords Dance set; if your opponent predicts aggressively, you can be left with a dead or crippled Weavile while trying to set up. If we start looking at the battle with Weavile already on the field safely, it does appear broken. But, I think the best Weavile counter-play happens before it hits the field, and does limit its effectiveness, while still being a very good mon.
For the most part, I agree with this reasoning. Weavile does not possess anywhere near enough defensive utility to just switch in for free in the vast majority of matchups. Outside of games where teams are pretty much totally unprepared and lose handily, it takes a lot of good play and positioning in order to do well with Weavile, and I consider that to be a good thing.

So, yeah. The essence of my perspective on Weavile is that I think the combination of defensive/offensive counterplay in the teambuilder and very feasible counterplay in actual battles makes for a Pokemon that's definitely a huge threat, but a very manageable one at that. Back to the teambuilder for me now...

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
With all those guys giving their opinion on Weavile, I'll share mine too.

I'll just give the opinion of a casual player, I'll not argue so much as I think both sides will do this better than me.

I was a strong supporter of Weavile and Genesect ban back in the time, with kinda the same arguments as the pro-ban now, insane speed, strong moves, very few SI, etc (talking only of Weavile, Genesect is not th point here). And I think it's still the case - and I think everyone agrees on that, Weavile is strong, the question is "is it too strong/unhealthy". If you ask me to decide to vote ban or not on Weavile rn, and it'll be definitive, I'll vote ban as I think it'll allow more freedom in teambuilding without changing the tier that much - unlike a ban of Tapu Fini for example.

However, with time and experience, I've learned to deal with Weavile and I am not sure it is absolutely ban worthy - I'm kinda caught between two stools. I personally think that CB Tech set is the best one - and the one that make Weavile almost broken - as it has very few SI and insane instant power, when MGLO always led a 50/50 between clicking SD or attack immediatly - and when I've played Weavile, I always find that MGLO lacks a lot of power to OHKO stuff like that : 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 247-292 (87.9 - 103.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (Triple Axel kills yea but it's kinda the same as clicking focus blast every time so it's annoying - and, to answer to mh I think it was Dr. Phd. BJ question, I think Triple Axel accuracy is a part of Weavile being less strong as it doesn't have a reliable 120 BP Ice move).
Also, as said by UT (I tried to tag you with UnnerfTalonflame bruh) it's not that easy to bring Weavile on a good situation on the field, and the replay he showed explains quite well how Weavile is manageable even without hard counter/if your counter is dead. Lastly, I'd like to say than, as every good threat, Weavile has different sets and it's logical to be weak to some specific threats - you can't cover anything - and in my opinion, if your team straight lose to a particular set it's a choice of building or a missbuild as you should always have something to at least not being 6-0'd ; also, I never lost a game to Weavile and said myself at the end "the mon is broken I couldn't do anything". It was either bulding weakness, bad plays, or just long term lose and any threat in place of Weavile would have lead to the same result.

This was my part to say that Weavile is less broken and unmanageable that people think - and I was thinking like them at the beginning, but I think it's possible to adapt ourselves to deal with Weavile as with any threat. However, I think that Weavile restrains the teambuilding a lot and probably more than any other threat, because of amazing speed and - and it's an important point imo that has not been said - the fact that Dark and Ice STABs do not have immunities. Barraskewda is super fast but you can add a Desolate Land/Water Absorb mon to block him. Same with Blacephalon. Same with Thunderbolt from Koko, Flare Blitz from Talon, Expanding Force from Azelf, etc... The other fast threats can be almost completely hard blocked - Weavile cannot. And its speed and access to priority make it less manageable than stuff like Blace or Terrak - you can accept to sacrifice something, then rk with your scarf Lando or your Latios, etc... That's why I think Weavile is probably the more restrictive mon in the meta as it is really hard to say "I don't have a counter but I can sac something and rk" - even if you can ofc find middleground, offensive counterplays, etc

To conclude, I think Weavile is a bit unhealthy for the tier, and more because it's restrictive than because it's "broken", but I'm fine with it in because I think it's more manageable than most of people think.

I am really bad at expressing my opinion, especially in English, so I hope I didn't say too much bullshit, anyway that was just my opinion on how I manage to deal with Weavile when building and playing, and I ask you guys to express your opinion here as, no matter in which side you are, it is annoying for everyone I think to have small discussions in the discord everytime about Weavile without really understanding each other so let's get it straight once and for all.

Stay safe, take care, love on y'all

I've spoken on weavile multiple times on discord, but it usually gets buried so i'll pitch in here as well. First of all, let it be known that I've flip-flopped on weavile multiple times already, because while it's possible to deal with it, it's not easy and forces the builder into repetitive building patterns. However this time around i'm considering another set, the recently "discovered" SD LO Technician set. First I'd like to adress some points made by other users in this thread.

The most common point that I hear with regards to Weavile being broken is it has a very limited pool of reliable switchins, principally including Tapu Fini, Cobalion, and Intimidate/Dauntless Shield Corviknight (and Skarmory, which is similar but less common). While this is very true, I do not find that out of line with our other most common breakers such as Terraki.on, Tapu Lele, and Blacephalon. Banded Terrakion's common reliable switchins are basically limited to Corv and Mew, and those still fall to the Sniper set. SFLO Lele has even fewer switchins without resorting to niche immunity abilities or hoping that Focus Blast misses. Yes, Weavile's speed tier makes it better than these examples, but the argument of "it forces X, Y, or Z onto your team to swtich into" is unconvincing to me when that's true of many of our better breakers.
I don't think comparing Weavile to Terrakion and Lele is fair. In general I subscribe to the idea that the slower a breaker, the more okay it is for it to "have no switchins". That's because speed is obviously the factor that decides how many mons your breaker actually forces out (thus creating breaking opportunities for itself) - doubly so in AAA where all breakers are supercharged and most offensive mons get ohkod by other offensive mons (assuming they don't hardwin the type MU). So, while Lele being hard to switch into is not that big of a problem (since it only really comes in on walls), the same being true for Weavile is much more of an issue as it forces out a significant amount of offensive mons.

Another point worth adressing is the point about getting it in. I think saying Weavile can't be hard switched in is a bit misleading since in AAA, no offensive mon really gets hard switched in, pretty much ever (apart from predictions of course). The only exceptions are MG Koko and Blace which can come in on body presses and toxics or (worst case scenario) a U-turn while shrugging off the chip and mons with immunities: Flying, Ground, Dark types, PSea and DesoLand users. Nothing else really likes to hard switch into play, again due to the hypercharged nature of AAA breakers and prevalence of pivot moves/knock off on defensive mons. An important thing to note about Weavile here is it's a Dark type, so you can (with the right prediction) bring it in on an Eforce, or just after a sac to choiced eforce. I don't think breakers like Terrak and Lele are any better at hard switching into play than Weavile is. And even if comparing Weavile to these two were a valid argument, Weavile has less switchins than them, not the same amount.

Terrak switchins

:mew:
:skarmory: / :corviknight: / :hippowdon: (intim/dauntless)
:swampert: (can at least scout)
:toxapex:(prankster)
:palossand:
:celebi: / :slowbro:
:nidoqueen:
:doublade:

Everything below pex is niche but it shows you can at least branch out when it comes to answering terrak, as opposed to weavile. I am also speaking of Terrak in general, not sniper specifically.

Lele switchins

:jirachi:
:genesect: (scarf)
:blissey: / :chansey:
:heatran: / :ferrothorn: (bulletproof)
:corviknight: (volt absorb)

Osake has already done a very good job of explaining how Weavile compares to other fast breakers as well, so I'm not gonna reiterate on that. In summation, I think it's clear that Weavile's breaking power is on par with two very strong breakers in Terrak and Lele, which combined with its speed makes it a very dominating offensive presence. Now, is it broken in terms of having no counterplay in game? Probably not. The fact that it can randomly steal games by luring Cob/Fini with SD Low Kick/PJab respectively doesn't do it any favors in that regard tho. I do however believe that it's extremely constraining in builder, as I (and others) have already stated in the past.

I think we should be trying to settle four things (I'll provide my opinion in brackets):

1) Is Weavile too constraining in builder? In other words, does it warp the teambuilding process too much? (YES)

2) If yes, is that enough of a reason on its own to ban Weavile? (NO)

3) If not, does accounting for Weavile's lure potential tip the scales in favor of a ban? (Most likely)

4) If not, is it reasonable to think that pretty strong community consensus in favor of banning Weavile should make the council reconsider their poisition on it? (IDK)

I think that covers everything I wanted to say, if I forgot anything I'll make another post i guess.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
here are some incredibly stupid sets i made for om swiss. im new to the meta but had a lot of fun with these.

:ss/togekiss:
BIG KISS (Togekiss) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Draining Kiss
- Fire Blast
- Heal Bell

heal bell on this mon mightve seen some use in the past but it isnt on the sample set so im posting it here. kiss is great at forcing out mons and surviving into the lategame so it can work really well as a cleric. also bell helps kiss vs passive walls lacking unaware in general, cause it gets toxic/twaved a lot. overall was happy with this mon.

:ss/tapu fini:
Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Trick

physdef scarf fini. speed is for blace coba and base 110s. overall this was fun to switch in on all the physical regen mons like lando t, zapdos g, and others cause fini can be annoying to exploit without specific mons (elec/grasses). scald burns save lives and trick can help break through stuff.

:ss/cobalion:
PASSHOLION (Cobalion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

everyone in aaa spams water moves so you just come in on em and set up. pretty great considering most waters are too passive to touch you so despite generally low survivability with life orb you can kinda get away with stuff. i also loaded into wish flip turn vap with this mon so that was pretty funny lol.

:ss/corviknight:
TOWER OF POWER (Corviknight) @ Light Clay
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Light Screen / Reflect

psea/def investment can be tweaked depending on what your team needs (i used psea here to beat volc). screens are really cool on balance to avoid getting overwhelmed by brokens such as blace, triage, and others like thunder koko. the only requirement is bounce teammate to avoid them laming you out with defog. i used spiritomb to be funny but there are obv many other options.

:ss/tyranitar:
Second Impact (Tyranitar) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Rock Polish
- Rock Slide
- Thunder / Fire Blast / Ice Beam
- Crunch

i think this is a pretty good set. obv there are issues such as trouble setting up, priority, and getting walled by some of kommo-o/dauntless shield gang depending on your third slot, but other than that this guy kinda goes in. rock slide and crunch don't disappoint, i remember doing 80% to anaconja's offensive lando-t. you can consider more defensive stuff with like water absorb and rocks but im really not a fan considering they don't do much to fix the rest of the problems with ttar.

:ss/latias:
Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Shield
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Defog

full special attack over hp can also be considered. this is pretty funny, the idea is you live something with shadow shield so can serve as a sort of emergency check. note that shadow shield>multiscale always cause it works despite mold breaker.

:ss/exploud:
Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast / Surf

exploud normally sucks cause it resists nothing. now it resists something and still kind of sucks but it's funny to wall out fire types with this. if you're a real gamer you can run specs rock slide to hit volcarona.

:ss/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 208 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower

defensive volc!!!! this mon resists a lot of stuff and has wisp which makes it good by default. unfortunately you need to wait longer before you can start quiver dancing up.

:ss/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

lo mg on this is pretty funny, you can run this idiotic defensive spread with -atk nature and your opponents won't even notice. im not sure if the spread hits any benchmarks but you should 2hko corvs with this (only full spdef lives) so that's nice. feel free to run more speed or maybe -def if you want, or maybe neutral nature if you're based.

i used a bunch of other stuff like psea sandslash-a, moldy curse/protect/stabs pert, sap sipper magic coat cm 2 atks prima, and focus energy zamac, but these are the ones that i had the most "success" with. overall i encourage other people to build like this cause it can be super fun unless youre auto losing to hyper offense/stall. fortunately you are fine against both if you simply spam trick.

hey so i made a vaporeon team
https://pokepast.es/8c734d3a318b8c8f
quick rundown because i like doing team rundowns

:ferrothorn: @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
bulletproof ferro may seem like a shitpost set at first, but it actually has a ton of useful qualities. for one, the opponent always has to predict around it being flash fire. they cant just send their blaceph in and mind blown it, they'll be blocked by ff, or at least they think. this is also a perfect sflo lele counter, being immune to focus blast, moonblast, and energy ball, while resisting tbolt. leech protect makes it hard to switch lele into an mbouncer or zarude, and twave makes zarude not the most ideal switch in. protect also helps in the zarude matchup overall, since you can pivot around cb gsurge, the most common and dangerous variant. amazing mon for the team overall

:vaporeon: @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Flip Turn
if you've been following aaa at all you've probably seen the rise of vaporeon this month but just to be safe, and because i feel like it, i'll explain it anyways. vaporeon gives a huge advantage over other regen waters such as swampert and fini due to its amazing support movepool, mainly wish and heal bell. this makes it a great partner for mons like ferrothorn, heatran, and terrakion. wonder how i figured that one out

:tapu-fini: @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Haze
its a very standard physdef fini. mostly just here to check stuff like talonflame, weavile, and other strong physical attackers

:heatran: @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
desotran with wish support and iron def bpress lets it easily beat mbounce bliss in a 1v1, and the +2 given by iron def lets it be an emergency weavile pseudo-check if it for some reason tries to switch in on a solar beam or smth

:terrakion: @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic
yup that sure is a cb terrak that has toxic in the 4th slot to check mew. its a great partner for vaporeon since it can just wish off damage terrak may sustain while blasting through the opponent with its ccs and stone edges

:azelf: @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Hasty Nature
- Expanding Force
- U-turn
- Trick
- Explosion
explosion and knock are interchangeable. swap them around however you want.

overall this team is probably dogshit so feel free to criticize it all you want, i'll try and make improvements where i can

Isaiah

UM/OM Leader
It's time...

:ss/Weavile:
Following a council vote, Weavile is now banned from Almost Any Ability! There were are a lot of decent arguments for and against the ban, but in the end the requirement for prepping for Weavile in the teambuilder and adequately playing against it in battles made it too much for the meta. Even in the case of its would-be reliable counters, Weavile possessed the means to overwhelm them either with coverage or simply blasting through with boosted Triple Axels. With World Cup just around the corner, we look forward to seeing how the metagame adapts to this change. In terms of the VR and sample teams, the council will give time to observe how the metagame changes before making any updates--but stay tuned! Will anything else prove too powerful? What are the winners/losers? Discuss below :]

Votes:
Think - BAN
The Number Man - BAN
xavgb - DNB
UT - BAN
Result: 3-1 BAN

Kris for implementation

Last edited:

UT

Appeals + C&C Lead
Hello I like jump starting conversation by posting my unasked for opinion on how the meta will change.

Clear Losers

Regen Coba basically existed because of Weavile. The MGLO set will be a little more viable, but I expect a huge drop in usage for Coba.

Talk about kicking a mon while it's down Already fringe viability, one of it's big selling points was being an offensive check to Weavile. Even that is now obsolete.

Partial Losers

While not as clear-cut as the above mons, part of their viability stemmed from being faster offensive mons than Weavile.

Partial Winners

All of our breakers enjoy having Weavile banned, as now there's one less faster breaker competing with them for their team slot. Terrakion especially looks promising as a lot of the physically defensive mons that handled Weavile indirectly checked it. Azelf should have more freedom to run Specs, although I expect Scarf to still be its main set.

Clear Winners

All of these defensive mons were good even with Weavile walking all over them. Now with Weavile gone, they have even more viability as physical walls. Also honorable mention to Kommo-o's Unburden set.

It may seem weird that two of Weavile's best checks stand to gain from it being banned, but to beat a dead horse they were great mons that also happened to check Weavile, not just great Weavile checks. Fini has much more freedom now to run SpD and even offensive sets, while Corv has 1,001 abilities it wants to run instead of Intimidate/Dauntless Shield that now it can.

Any you disagree on? Any that you think I missed?

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I wasn't expected this ban at all since TNM was the only council member that I expected to vote ban.

Post-Weavile meta will probably see the emergence of strong breakers that were previously rather difficult to use, especially setup sweepers, because of Weavile insane speed and access to Ice Shard. It's something that hasn't be said a lot, the importance of Weavile as a 'breaker controller', and may lead to other bans in the future, but as we said 'broken check broken' isn't a right policy so we'll what the future holds !

I think it's a good decision to ban Weavile before Wcup to improve the metagame development, which will be quite interesting in the next few months and it's a good thing.

To react to UT list of losers/winners I'll add some personal takes on that ban.

Clear Losers

Talk about kicking a mon while it's down Already fringe viability, one of it's big selling points was being an offensive check to Weavile. Even that is now obsolete.
It's clear that Weavile ban will impact Zamazenta-C utility, but I do not think it'll make it unviable and that Zamazenta-C doesn't have any qualities anymore. In my way too famous Zama-Stall (stop stealing it smth you are not even playing it well YES I'm talking of you XxSevagxX Redflix) Zamazenta's job is to act as a secondary Weavile check, yes, but it is really its main job in that particular team. I've probably sent Zamazenta on a Weavile like 3 or 4 times, but its defensive presence and offensive potential against fast threats make it really good outside of just 'hard checking Weavile'. I know it is a very specific team and it'll not be easy to use Zamazenta-C, but I do not think the mon is dead and useless. (yes I'm defending my boy)

Partial Winners

All of our breakers enjoy having Weavile banned, as now there's one less faster breaker competing with them for their team slot. Terrakion especially looks promising as a lot of the physically defensive mons that handled Weavile indirectly checked it. Azelf should have more freedom to run Specs, although I expect Scarf to still be its main set.
I think UT is missing a lot of potential Pokemon here, it's not a criticism as he makes his post quite quickly and in order to make people talk so that's why I'm writing rn, but I'd like to add some mons that I think will be way better now :

First examples that I have in mind, but Blacephalon can use Sub and CM sets more easily, and is harder to revenge kill, Latias and Latios can use CM sets without "ah, Blissey Teleport, Weavile, Switch-out", and Zygarde is a fast threat with one less revenge killer and you can use roseli berry glare now yes XxSevagxX. Lastly Garchomp is a super powerful mon and underestimated imo, and the SD Scale Shot set was already super threatful and will become even more now without Weavile being able to revenge kill with Ice Shard.
Overall, a lot of setup sweeper will gain in this ban, as they were or slower than Weavile or weak to Ice Shard so they cannot perfom well in their setup sweeper roles.

Clear Winners

All of these defensive mons were good even with Weavile walking all over them. Now with Weavile gone, they have even more viability as physical walls. Also honorable mention to Kommo-o's Unburden set.
Outside of Mandibuzz Nasty Plot in, the 3 others are better both in defensive roles and offensive roles. UT talked of Unburden Kommo-O, but others cool set such as DD mixed or specs or w/e may also sees an increase in use ; Offensive Lando was already super threatful such as in motherlove HO - Landorus doesn't need anymore to be Queenly Majesty now. Lastly, Demon Mew, even tho it hasn't been used a lot recently can more freely setup now.

Overall, I think this ban will result in a huge meta change, because a lot of mons that were hard to justify in a team because of Weavile existence will see more use - I do not think it'll limited to 'no more Regen Coba, Fini SpD, Corvi without Intim'.

We can probaly expect a lot of creativity in the coming months, which is a good thing and it's always fun to see.

Thanks for reading me, have a nice day, take care :heart:

if Buzzwole is unbanned, I'm signing up for the world cup

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
I'm obviously not as good as UT or Osake but I decided that I wanted to share my thoughts on the Weavile ban. As to not just repeat what they said, I think that Psychic types becoming becoming better is something that could be talked about. I know that UT briefly mentioned Azelf having more chances to use specs over scarf and Osake mentioned Demon Mew, but I think Alakazam and Slowbro might me worth looking at. Alakazam could have a niche as a stronger Azelf on more offensive teams or team that don't need to rely on pivots to beat the blobs. Slowbro could see some more use as a defensive mon now that one Dark type is gone, but probably would still not be viable with Zarude and Dhelmise in the tier. Anyways I would like the end off with the fact that I really know nothing and welcome any criticism that anyone has.

Archeops got banned, now Weavile is gone. Seems like we're out of frustratingly strong breakers that miss half the time when it matters most. So here's a few ideas for ppl who don't find pokemon frustrating enough.

:Cinderace:
Cinderace @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Gunk Shot
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Cinderace is one of the only mons that has access to HJK without access to close combat. On top of that you can rejoice in the fact that game frek made Pyro Ball 95 accuracy, which honestly is just a piss take.

:Salamence:
Salamence @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Dragon Rush
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance

Cannot be walled on paper but in practice, literally cannot hit a single move.

:landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance

A personal favourite of mine, back in gen7 when z moves were legal, hustle was a legitimately threatening ability. Nowadays not so much. Landorus can actually OHKO Corv with edge after an SD. You also get the added meme value of being able to miss explosion, there's nothing funnier.

:heatran:
Heatran @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Steel Beam
- Magma Storm
- Nature Power
- Stealth Rock

Are you part of the people who constantly forget that steel beam is not 100% accurate? That's the set for you. Cackle at knowing that Heatran cleans up the late game, only to miss steel beam twice on SD tapu bulu, good times.

Have fun kids, and remember to hydrate.

Archeops got banned, now Weavile is gone. Seems like we're out of frustratingly strong breakers that miss half the time when it matters most. So here's a few ideas for ppl who don't find pokemon frustrating enough.

:Cinderace:
Cinderace @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Gunk Shot
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Cinderace is one of the only mons that has access to HJK without access to close combat. On top of that you can rejoice in the fact that game frek made Pyro Ball 95 accuracy, which honestly is just a piss take.

:Salamence:
Salamence @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Dragon Rush
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance

Cannot be walled on paper but in practice, literally cannot hit a single move.

:landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance

A personal favourite of mine, back in gen7 when z moves were legal, hustle was a legitimately threatening ability. Nowadays not so much. Landorus can actually OHKO Corv with edge after an SD. You also get the added meme value of being able to miss explosion, there's nothing funnier.

:heatran:
Heatran @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Steel Beam
- Magma Storm
- Nature Power
- Stealth Rock

Are you part of the people who constantly forget that steel beam is not 100% accurate? That's the set for you. Cackle at knowing that Heatran cleans up the late game, only to miss steel beam twice on SD tapu bulu, good times.

Have fun kids, and remember to hydrate.
To add to these I have

Not Lele (Zapdos) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Yes yes I know this is heat, ur welcome, now get out there and miss hit your moves

UT

Appeals + C&C Lead
Happy one-year anniversary to Thinkerino as AAA tier leader! He bravely led us out of the Poison Heal meta, finally banned Weavile, and kept up-to-date and high-quality resources to promote the metagame!

To actually contribute to metagame discussion, here are a few sets I have really been enjoying since the Weavile ban. Nothing revolutionary, but I'm not a revolutionary player.

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off
- Calm Mind / Psyshock
Blace is a huge force in the metagame right now and can break down almost any defensive core. It's Adaptability and Scarf sets are scary too, but the simple MGLO set is already capable of dismantling teams. With Weavile gone, that's one more faster threat it doesn't have to worry about revenging it.

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Roost
Latios is another special breaker that I have been enjoying post-Weavile ban. It has good sustainability with Roost and no recoil, and can both do immediate damage, and set up with Calm Mind to beat slower teams. Tinted is really nice to break through Steels that think they can beat Latios, and also means with Psychic Terrain support, Psyshock is extremely spammable.

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
This is still the best Lele set, fight me. It doesn't so much benefit from the Weavile ban so much as it benefits from everyone being focused on SFLO Lele. This is a great late-game cleaner and win condition and can still muscle through most of its defensive switch-ins with Calm Mind, Psyshock and Focus Blast.

Kommo-o @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail

Kommo-o @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- X-Scissor
- Thunder Punch
Kommo-o is a fantastic replacement for Cobalion, with great bulk, typing, phazing, rocks, and even set up. It's a nice glue mon to check many of the remaining physical attackers like Zarude, and can help soft-check Terrakion. Meanwhile, the Unburden set has one fewer revenge killer and can still blow through teams with just one turn.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic
This thing still has no walls. Use it. Stone Edge doesn't miss that often.

Overall, I feel the meta is still pretty similar to pre-Weavile ban, but have been enjoying experimenting with both new and old breakers and cores to see what still works and what doesn't.

Any sets you've been using that are putting in good work? Think any of my sets can be improved? Fight me Please share them!

Last edited:

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Wanted to add on to what UT said with two more pokemon I've been loving even more since the Weavile ban.

Azelf @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Hasty Nature
- Expanding Force
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Fire Blast
Azelf was still very good pre-ban, but having one less fast Dark-type in the tier gives Azelf more freedom to run specs, even though I still prefer scarf. Expanding Force being that much stronger greatly increases the pressure that Azelf puts on slower teams.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
Togekiss hasn't changed much because of the ban, but I've been having quite a bit of success with it, especially in conjunction with other breakers that can punch wholes through teams, allowing Togekiss to clean up late game a decent amount of the time. From my games with it, the two main ways Togekiss has been affected by the Weavile ban is that it there is one less pokemon that it can't set up on and the more important change of more people running SpD Corviknight.

If you think I'm wrong about anything I said, please let me know so i can block you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)