AAA Almost Any Ability

Hi guys, I just made it to TOP 1 in AAA, and I want to share my team.
1637035075965.png

1637035118329.png

AYAYA (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Defog
- Roost
Corviknight is the Magic Bounce user of the team, and he does his job very well, especially against Chancey and Blissey who want to throw in a Toxic or T wave. Iron Defense is essential for certain troublesome Pokemon like Zapdos Galar.
Sometimes I switch Defog with Brave Bird, especially for Tapu Bulu, Marowark, Dhelmise and Blacephalon.

Medicine (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Haze
- Recover
The classic Toxapex with Prankster. The distribution of Evs are to resist special blows from Blacephalon (Only Toxapex is in optimal condition).
He also stops Kommo Belly Drum.

Satori Komeiji (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Dauntless Shield
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
Mew can stop offensive ground-types like Lando T, Garchomp and Zygarde 10%. (except Swampert)
In addition to serving as an excellent pivot with Volt Switch for Corvi and Tapu Fini with Defog.

Secret Sealing C. (Swampert) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flip Turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Counter
The classic Swampert pivots, only the AV gives it what it takes to withstand the most deadly attacks, like Zapdos Primoldial Sea and Energy Ball or Grass Knot from a NO SPECS electric pokemon.
Rock Tomb is used to slow down fast Pokemon like Latias, then use Flip Turn and switch to Zarude.
Counter is the surprise move, used to punish any U turn or physical move in general.

Reimu Hakurei (Tapu Fini) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Trick
Tapu Fini Scarf with Regen has the function of giving speed to the team, in addition to tricking set up sweepers like Mew and Latias calm mind.

ZUN (Zarude) @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- Close Combat
- U-turn
Zarude is the offensive presence of the team. In general, the sinister type is great offensively speaking, plus his plant / sinister type is a perfect fit for this team.
The reason for using Tough Claws over Grassy Surge or Adaptability is to boost his Close Combat and U turn.
With Darkest Lariat, I defeat Mew and Corvi with Dauntless Shield.

Hope you like my team.

Grim_Blazer

Banned deucer.
Ok, so this is my first post on here and I thought I'd show y'all my zard team since it appears nobody uses him but me

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Taunt

Screens support goes a long way for this team, it allows us to both bring in zard and set up with him easier. Plus, this is the only way to prevent hazards on the team, which are detrimental to zard. However if someone rocks on anything other than this then they run the risk of either allowing me to setup or taking a lot of damage, so rocks usually don't matter unless they go up really early.

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Rash Nature
- Close Combat
- Boomburst
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Dance

Lures in checks like fini and pex and kills them, he can also just sweep after boosting enough (just like everything else on this team). This set has worked wonders for the team, I dance once and they bring in intim corv or something else that dies to boomburst since nobody ever expects it.

Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shift Gear
- Leech Life
- Zap Cannon
- Blizzard

Sometimes this just carries tbh. Genesect is really good on this team, nothing else needs to be said.

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Psychic

Volc is a pretty decent mon on this team. He does well if he sets up and having desolate land is always a plus.

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Hasty Nature
- Expanding Force
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Trick

Standard Azelf, mainly here for pex, hippo, and other things that get in the way of boosted zard.

Actual Nuke (Charizard) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide / Quick Attack
- Fire Punch

Last but not least is one of my top three favorite sets in AAA. Zard is kinda hard to set up in comparison to drumburden Kommo-o, and takes a lot more from rocks. Though he makes up for it by being nearly impossible to stop when boosted and by out-speeding stuff like scarf Azelf after unburden is activated. Rock slide and quick attack are interchangeable here depending on what you wanna hit more, rock slide is for stuff like zapdos and quick attack is to out prioritize stuff like barra aqua jet (keep in mind that quick attack doesn't kill barra without rocks even if boosted).

To follow the trend, i am posting my team i have been using lately to ladder back up.
https://pokepast.es/35327c958c2eb091

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze

Da pexxx, the ladder bait, trash fake mon??? Good all purpose check to things, prevents stuff like kommo from winning, psuedo checks triage and such, makes slow setup non threathening, etc.
Is very abuseable however so play it carefully, dont sit on it forever or throw it out unneccesarily. Should only really be on the field when its facing mons it beats/has to beat for the rest of the team. Otherwise standard pex

That's Death (Blacephalon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off
- Toxic

In my opinion blacephalon is one of if not the best single mon breaker in the tier right now, it has all the tools to break down its checks over a long game (which this team can provide) and/or with hazard support. It is also useful as a revenge killer/way to force things out. It can also psuedo check fairy triage and other things. I previously was using a choice specs adaptability set which i loved, and that quickly broke down its checks but have lately given some time to testing magic guard so i do not have to play around my own corviknights defog, putting less pressure and chip on my team. Why i am not using standard mglo is because that set "loses" to regenvest pivots like swampert and sivalley-dragon in my experience if you cannot get up hazards (magic bounce bird, etc). It also can get psuedo checked by toxapex without the specs. This set i believe combines the best of both worlds with the benefits of magic guard but can break through its own checks better (also better for breaking through "hard" checks like prim-sea mandibuzz). The last move slot is toxic, mainly for applying pressure on mons like mandibuzz who wisely avoid my other status spreaders, this can likely be psychic coverage, to beat niche blace counters like nihilego and dragalge who count on no psychic coverage. Knock off is there to beat its checks who safely avoid the knock offs from the rest of my teammates, blace being able to force them in and take the item off is broken. While trick seems obvious, i do not like it as it greatly weakens the power output of blacephalon, and it then loses to ability to break through the team and i dont believe there is a single target i would like to trick with blace on this team. This is the sole main wincon of the team, so you should play it safely, carefully, and methodical. The rest of the team can and will easily buy you 100+ turn games to give you all the safe opportunities to get in (especially with magic guard).

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Now THIS is the star of the show, the team. Regen ferrothorn is one of the best switchins to basically every single fat mon/non super effective coverage mons. It can wall pex, fini, every pivoter, birds, blobs, you name it all the while making progress on them. This mon can and will spam knock all day long, and claim atleast 3 items per game. It also provides a good resistance core to primordial sea weather attackers like primarina with silvally-dragon, being able to knock off the specs/band of many strong mons who cant quite ohko it, switch into another mon that now walls them forever without their choice item, and regen off all the damage. This mon is basically unkillable (eats banded cc's???), and literally unkillable vs fat/stall, which it will endlessly annoy with free safe switchins and hazard/knock pressure. Knock + body press lets it beat the 2 main magic bouncers in the tier (the 2 pink blobs) who try to deny its hazards, and in doing so puts up great pressure and chip on them (especially if you can knock off chansey's eviolite) for blacephalon to win with hazards up. This mon often spends 50% of the battle on the field, being your all purpose damage absorber and switch in to things (except dedicated wallkbreakers which you should avoid). I used to run leech seed, but i dropped it as it got quickly pp-stalled and was generally ineffective at making real progress, only annoyed people. And it was limited in usefullness against fat/stall. Double hazard however, greatly helps you win the fat/stall matchup if they do not have a bouncer that ferrothorn cannot beat, being able to pp-stall out defogs and win with max hazards. Spikes is the main one, making sure you can convert every free turn well, and is good for chipping things like regenvest swampert for blace while rocks is really just there for prim-sea mandibuzz (and its a good move i heard or whatever people keep on telling me?).

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog

Spdef va corv. Handles electrics (duh), can kinda help against physical attackers (still a corv probably), provides the ever so rare defog in AAA. It forms a good spdef core with silvally-dragon that handles most spattackers in the game. It is also one of the few non-regenerator-non-garbage sheer force lele answers, which is greatly appreciated considering how good that mon is at dismantling teams. Now i know corv technically can lose to 2 focus blasts, but there is alot of if's surrounding that and the odds are ever in your favor, and it provides you with so much room to outplay it. Bulk up lets you convert free turns to force out mons who want to just sit in front of you, and it sometimes can win games providing a late game wincon, but dont really expect it to do so. Its just there to scare away things.

Fogo de Chão (Barraskewda) @ Choice Band
Ability: Primordial Sea
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Close Combat
- Flip Turn

This is probably an unusual pick for this kind of team, however it is very good minded you play it conservativly and dont throw it out too often into rocks. Ferro + blace should help knocking off all the helmets on the opponents team but dont count on it. Not very useful vs fat/stall but you can sneak it in as a wincon if they slip up and let thier fini take too much from specs blace or something. Its primary role here is as an anti-offense mon. Its stellar speed tier revenge kills basically everything, and it even has strong priority to boot for unburden sweepers and the likes. While balance and such can handle this, offense usually has to give up a mon every time this comes in, and it provides great momentum with flip turn. Unorthodox or hyper offenses can give this team trouble, using obscure threats which can dismantle this team, but barraskewda greatly shores up those matchups. Not much else to say, play it smartly, use it for its job, sometimes it wins, it scares out every offensive mon (and usally the ones you cant really handle 1v1 but can pivot on).

Silvally-Dragon @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Poison Fang
- Flamethrower

Standard regenvest silvally, it doesnt do anything for progress but it forms a good spdef core with vacorv and it kinda does it things. Neccesary for mons like non specs blace, azelfs, volcaronas, primordial sea, desolate land, etc. etc. Not much else to say.

I dont often post but i hope you enjoyed this post, feel free to try out the team and/or give me feedbacks. I peaked #1 ladder a few times with this team but thats just ladder join a tour you scrub. Have a nice day!

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Hey guys!

The meta has changed a lot since World Cup started, and normally around this time we would open up sample submissions and post a VR update. Instead, the council would like to get some feedback on a major point of discussion for potential tiering action:

:Blacephalon: - At this point in time, nobody is surprised to see Blacephalon mentioned in a watchlist. While it didn't have incredibly high usage during the pools phase, it still made a fair showing in the games it was used. In the teambuilder, Blacephalon puts incredible stress on teams: Magic Guard means it evades normal forms of chip such as hazards and status, but most importantly it's able to fire off max power Mind Blowns without any repercussions, typically aided by a Life Orb. While it's true that checks/counters such as Primordial Sea Mandibuzz and RegenVest Silvally-Dragon exist, Blacephalon has adapted to run sets with Knock Off and even Toxic in order to have the means to break past virtually every form of counterplay. Assault Vest Pokemon lose their items and/or get poisoned, bulky Pokemon typically risk a 2HKO or plain OHKO from Mind Blown + Shadow Ball, and Blissey lacked the means to effectively make any progress versus Blacephalon over the long-term of a battle. Essentially, Blacephalons' tendency to muscle past would-be counters and blast through Pokemon who don't resist its STAB combo makes it a prime candidate for a suspect test. What do you think? Is it due for a test, or is there enough maneuverability within the tier to account for it? I'll leave this discussion open until Sunday (Dec 12th), and the council will vote on whether or not to hold a suspect on that date!

EDIT: Long-time council member and friend xavgb has also decided to step down from the council. Thanks for everything! (I'm bad and forgot)

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
AAA has always been known for its super high power level in comparison to many tiers, with super powerful breakers such as Tapu Lele, Zarude, and Genesect roaming the tier. It's been one of the most well-known aspects of the tier (at least I started taking it seriously), and this is because offensive abilities are much stronger and more popular than defensive abilities. But is this high power level necessarily a good thing?

I've been building a lot of AAA recently for WCOM and I've found it stunning how many super-powerful breakers need to be prepared for when building a team. Simply looking at the A+ and A ranks (minus Cobalion, plus Kommo-O and Barraskewda), you have to prepare for Azelf, Heatran, Tapu Koko, Zapdos, Blacephalon, all 7 of Genesect's sets (or just pray you don't run into the one that bodies your team), Talonflame, Lens Lele, SFLO Lele, Terrakion, Zarude, Barraskewda, and BD Kommo-O. That's a whopping 13 (19 if we include all viable Genesect sets) offensive threats that have to be prepared for, and while some obviously aren't as good as others (Scarf Genesect doesn't immediately win games like BD Kommo-O does or deny switch-ins as SFLO Lele does) and counterplay for some does overlap, that is still a gigantic amount of breakers to prep for...and that's just from 2 sections of the VR! Preparing for these mons often leaves a team with little or no outs vs niche breakers lower on the VR.

:marowak-alola:
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Adaptabilty / Magic Guard
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Poltergeist / Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge

Marowak-A is an example of one of these niche breakers I'm talking about. While attempting to rack my head for switch-ins, I found the amount of them to be stunningly low. I was only able to come up with itemless DShield Rest Kommo-O (if Poltergeist), Regenerator Kommo-O (if Shadow Bone), and itemless PhysDef Corviknight (if Poltergeist). After consulting with OM Room, which said DShield Hippodown (if Poltergeist) and FF Blobs, I was surprised at how few switch-ins it had. But in that same conversation, I was told that Marowak-A was subpar despite this because it was slow, not that bulky, and "we have so many better breakers".

This ties back into the main point of this post: not to say we should ban all the B and C-tier breakers because no one preps for them, but because I feel that the high power level in AAA has not been looked at deeply enough. From the council players I've talked to and the opinions of the players I've seen, the general consensus surrounding the power level is that it's just a thing, neither good nor bad. I find this to be very interesting because I am starting to think negatively as a whole to the power level of the tier, and I feel it is beginning to make the metagame unhealthy constantly having to prepare for all of the breakers I mentioned above and still have outs vs things like ZyDog, Marowak-A, and Salamence. I don't know, maybe I'm just an ass builder and player carried by ZyDog and stall, but I personally feel like having to prepare for all of these things is bordering on unhealthy. If any other players have thoughts of the power level of the tier, I would love to hear them.

re: Blace suspect
Don't think it's broken (at least in a vacuum), but would support a suspect so I can get more reqs for TC badge because of what I said above about the power level of the tier potentially being too high. I don't have a more complex opinion than that aside from pointing to a 37.25% win rate over 8 games is pretty odd reasoning for a suspect test in my eyes.

Also obligatory #BanGenesect mention. And sorry if this post was confusing, it's very difficult for me to put my thoughts into words.

iapt

the unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
so im not gonna sit here and pretend like I am a high level player, but I have been playing the tier pretty frequently and been theorymonning and talking about it with some others. Im just gonna put in my two cents about blace. There was some discussion in the discord after thinks post about the comparability of blacephalon to other strong breakers like sflo lele and terrakion. the biggest things that sets blace apart from other breakers (for the moment ill just use lele and terrak) is its reliability. (For the purpose of this post, I am going to be referring to magic guard blachephalon.) It has perfectly accurate stabs and a solid toolkit to help it or its teammates break through its common switchins through the use of knock off, toxic or trick for choiced variants. Terrakion can be pp stalled and can miss its attack which alleviates pressure on the other side of the field, allowing the opponent to get an attack off, pivot, recover or do something else. Lele may have to rely on hitting focus blast twice in a row on a blissey, which as we all know, is pretty difficult. Blacephalon also has a very easy time coming in, given its immunity to any passive damage and its speed tier meaning it can immediately be threatening to most things on the opposing side, as well as having an immunity, something the other two do not, making it able to double in on a predicted (or known) fighting attack from a locked terrakion or a kommo-o. Lele cannot always come in on things it may want to because of its only decent speed tier, especially with modest and can be chipped by hazards over the course of a game. Terrak doesnt struggle as much as lele since it has a strong speed tier and a resistance to rocks but over a long game, it can be worn down through a combination of stealth rock, random attacks, rocky helmet and status. Terrak and lele have a harder time breaking through switchins and checks on their own compared to blace, who can knock assault vests, boots, lefties or any other various item and spread status, helping both itself and the rest of the team.

Overall, from my perspective of a somewhat outsider looking in, blace is deserving of a suspect test in order to gain more insight if more people dont post (which they hopefully will!). Any criticism or corrections are very welcome. Thanks for reading and have a good day :)

AAA has always been known for its super high power level in comparison to many tiers, with super powerful breakers such as Tapu Lele, Zarude, and Genesect roaming the tier. It's been one of the most well-known aspects of the tier (at least I started taking it seriously), and this is because offensive abilities are much stronger and more popular than defensive abilities. But is this high power level necessarily a good thing?

I've been building a lot of AAA recently for WCOM and I've found it stunning how many super-powerful breakers need to be prepared for when building a team. Simply looking at the A+ and A ranks (minus Cobalion, plus Kommo-O and Barraskewda), you have to prepare for Azelf, Heatran, Tapu Koko, Zapdos, Blacephalon, all 7 of Genesect's sets (or just pray you don't run into the one that bodies your team), Talonflame, Lens Lele, SFLO Lele, Terrakion, Zarude, Barraskewda, and BD Kommo-O. That's a whopping 13 (19 if we include all viable Genesect sets) offensive threats that have to be prepared for, and while some obviously aren't as good as others (Scarf Genesect doesn't immediately win games like BD Kommo-O does or deny switch-ins as SFLO Lele does) and counterplay for some does overlap, that is still a gigantic amount of breakers to prep for...and that's just from 2 sections of the VR! Preparing for these mons often leaves a team with little or no outs vs niche breakers lower on the VR.

:marowak-alola:
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Adaptabilty / Magic Guard
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Poltergeist / Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge

Marowak-A is an example of one of these niche breakers I'm talking about. While attempting to rack my head for switch-ins, I found the amount of them to be stunningly low. I was only able to come up with itemless DShield Rest Kommo-O (if Poltergeist), Regenerator Kommo-O (if Shadow Bone), and itemless PhysDef Corviknight (if Poltergeist). After consulting with OM Room, which said DShield Hippodown (if Poltergeist) and FF Blobs, I was surprised at how few switch-ins it had. But in that same conversation, I was told that Marowak-A was subpar despite this because it was slow, not that bulky, and "we have so many better breakers".

This ties back into the main point of this post: not to say we should ban all the B and C-tier breakers because no one preps for them, but because I feel that the high power level in AAA has not been looked at deeply enough. From the council players I've talked to and the opinions of the players I've seen, the general consensus surrounding the power level is that it's just a thing, neither good nor bad. I find this to be very interesting because I am starting to think negatively as a whole to the power level of the tier, and I feel it is beginning to make the metagame unhealthy constantly having to prepare for all of the breakers I mentioned above and still have outs vs things like ZyDog, Marowak-A, and Salamence. I don't know, maybe I'm just an ass builder and player carried by ZyDog and stall, but I personally feel like having to prepare for all of these things is bordering on unhealthy. If any other players have thoughts of the power level of the tier, I would love to hear them.

re: Blace suspect
Don't think it's broken (at least in a vacuum), but would support a suspect so I can get more reqs for TC badge because of what I said above about the power level of the tier potentially being too high. I don't have a more complex opinion than that aside from pointing to a 37.25% win rate over 8 games is pretty odd reasoning for a suspect test in my eyes.

Also obligatory #BanGenesect mention. And sorry if this post was confusing, it's very difficult for me to put my thoughts into words.
hard disagree
The high power level in AAA is sure a very centralizing aspect in teambuilding, but strong pivoting and positioning is just as prevalent and known in AAA, if not even more than the power level. You can never prep for every single offensive threat. Any slightly decent (balance) team has a pivot mon/ regen sponge that brings in some breaker/revenge killer in the back. You can say that the high power level led to the prevalence in this team structure, but that's a trend that doesn't really negatively impact the metagame itself.
Take this (bad) team as an example. I have Coba and Toise as 2 blanket sponges, which help bring in my breakers. The core loses to a lot of the threats you mentioned like Koko Zap Gene Talon Lele Terrak, but with Grassy Glide, Queenly Majesty, PrimSea Koko I can revenge kill most of if not all of them, or check them in a pinch. I don't really have a switchin to Ace but with PrimSea it should not be a 6-0. Point being, playing against offensive threats is most likely easier than prepping against them in the builder. Niche but powerful threats are bad bc they get offensively checked too easily, and no team can prep for every single mon anyway.

Speaking of being offensively checked, I'm quite undecided on if Blace is too much to handle. For one, its usage rn is a little low, not to mention the 37.25% win rate in wc. Anyway, just like any other 'high power' threats, Blace is easily handleable with regenvest/ blob + revenge killer; unlike other 'high power' threats, having Knock Off means it forces progress against almost every regenvest user, but I'm doubtful that Knock pushes Blace over the edge. I also don't think having Explosion to blow holes in cores is unhealthy.
However, just as I was finishing the last paragraph, I remembered how Sash Blace is such a pain to revenge kill. You now have to bring in your revenge killer twice, and coupled with the fact that Blace can easily force progress on pivots/ outdamage regen, you often find a mon on very low health/ dead when you finally brought in your revenge killer. Blace is also not that easy to revenge kill via priority, and can run Scarf to outpace your non-Azelf Scarfer. Specs and Trick are also stuff Think didn't mention in his post. Feels like I'm getting a bit too theoretical here in a post about pivoting, but I'm sure everyone has found pain guessing and positioning against Blace's different sets.
Still, I'm leaning towards no suspect on Blace. There are tons of revenge killers available, counters exist, and with non existent bulk, Blace is often too afraid to stay in against anything that it can't 2HKO on the switch. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

Last edited:

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello there ! I hope y'all are doing great :heart:
I'll give my opinion on Blacephalon, as asked by our beloved Tier Leader, but first I want to answer a bit to the previous messages.

Ok so firstly, I don't get that point. Yes, you usually have to prep against Pokemon that are high-ranked in the VR. It's not new, or specific to AAA ?
SS OU Ranking Tier List

S Rank:

S Rank

Landorus-Therian

S- Rank

Dragapult

Heatran

A Rank:

A+ Rank

Corviknight

Ferrothorn

Kyurem

Slowking-Galar

Tapu Fini

Tapu Koko

Tornadus-Therian

Toxapex

Weavile

A Rank

Clefable

Garchomp

Kartana

Magnezone

Melmetal

Scizor

Tapu Lele

Urshifu-R

Zeraora
Here is the OU VR, from S to A. You have to prep for Lando-T, Dragapult, Heatran, Kyurem, CM Fini, Koko, NP Torn, Weavile, Garchomp, Kartana, Magnezone, Melmetal, Tapu Lele, Urshifu-R, and Zeraora, at least. This is 15 mons, and the tier is not broken at all. You can argue that AAA breakers are stronger, and in a way yes, but counterplay is stronger too, and if all of those Pokemon were broken they would have been banned yet.

Preparing for these mons often leaves a team with little or no outs vs niche breakers lower on the VR.
If that was true, people would actually use those mons more. If they are low on the VR, it's because they have other defects ; moreover, usually, if you are prep for a top tier breaker you are kinda prep for a more niche breaker. If you play DS Hippo to counter Terrak, you are also prep for Heracross. It's not always true, but blanket checks and strong physical or special walls works for a lot of threats.

Marowak-A is an example of one of these niche breakers I'm talking about.
I mean. Look at the OU, or at any tier. Marowak is virtually busted everywhere because Thick Club is a broken item. Nothing can reliably come in, no matter the tier. But it's not broken, neither in OU or in any OM, because it has other defects, as I said. Using Marowak as an example is just not an example, because Marowak is very specific. And it's usually the same for all the 'hit strong but slow' mons. Stakataka under TR is very hard to check. Is it broken ? no. Is it because there is too many broken mons in the tier ? no.

This ties back into the main point of this post: not to say we should ban all the B and C-tier breakers because no one preps for them, but because I feel that the high power level in AAA has not been looked at deeply enough. From the council players I've talked to and the opinions of the players I've seen, the general consensus surrounding the power level is that it's just a thing, neither good nor bad.
Ignoring the fact that I don't know of which council member you are talking about, I can just say that it's kinda logical. You are playing AAA, you know that the tier has a higher power level than OU, it's normal, you accept it. If you don't like it, you don't play AAA. It doens't have to be good or bad. Also, I ignored it the first you mentioned it, but I disagree with "offensive abilities being stronger than defensive abilities". It's not an absolute point tho, and I can be wrong, but most of the physical threats can be managed with Intim/DS, and most of the special threats can be managed with Regen Blob or Regen Vest, so defensive abilities are in my opinion ~enough to deal with the breakers.

IAPT summed up quite well offensive qualities of Blacephalon, especially compared to other breakers.

And I totally agree with Iph. You can't check anything, unless you are using stall and your attempt is to actually to so. But you prep for strong threats, and you have way to deal with 'unexpected' threats, with Regen blanket checks, or faster things, etc. That's how you play mons, and if you actually expect to check everything, you are missing one aspect of understanding of the game.

Moving on the main subject, my opinion on Blacephalon !

oh also before giving my opinion, I just want to say that I haven’t played seriously the tier for months now, I’m still playing it actively with friends but I haven’t try to build good teams so far, only trying fun stuff and weird sets so I’m fully aware of the meta, so my opinion is maybe (and probably) biaised, but I’m still giving it

So, my short answer is : I find the tier quite good now, and I do not think anything deserves to be banned, I enjoy the balance like that. It doesn’t mean I’m against a suspect test, and I think the suspect test is legit, because Blacephalon is very strong. However, I believe Blace will be banned if it’s suspected, and as it’s not what I want, I’m more for a no-suspect-test

My long answer now :
I think everyone agreeds on Blacephalon being very strong. I’ll quickly list what makes it strong and potentially broken, but I’ll not elaborate much as it has already been done by other people before me :
-a good speed tier that lets it outspeed most of the metagame
-a stab on mind blown without recoil, which is actually a very powerful move and it’s quite difficult to switch in.
-a good movepool with all the tools it needs to beat most of its checks : shadow ball, psyshock, calm mind, knock off, trick, toxic, even sub, explosion, or taunt if needed
-an immunity to every single way of chipping a mon without hitting it directly, immunity to rocks and toxic is actually very huge.
-finally, a quite good typing, without so much resists offensively, but also, and it’s an important point imo, Blacephalon resists almost all the priority of the game (ice shard/grassy glide (even if it’s a roll to kill it depending of the natures iirc) and horn leech/drain punch/extreme speed/draining kiss) which makes it not so easy to revenge kill with slower mon, and makes it a decent counterplay to triage lele

I agree that all of this makes Blacephalon an extremely powerful mon, and it’s not new ; I haven’t even talked of its other sets (DLand, Sheer Force, Adaptability) because I think they are less strong, and less seen, and actually share ~kinda the same kind of counterplays, but Blacephalon is definitely one of the strongest offensive mons of AAA.

But now, after listing all Blacephalon’s qualities, why do I think it is not broken and should not be banned ?

Basically, I totally agree on Blacephalon being able to make progress against almost any mon in the game (especially considering the potential spdef drop of Shadow Ball, it’s worth mentioning too) on the long term with all its tools ; but first it needs to actually have those tools ; if you are running koff toxic double stab you can’t beat nihi for example ; if you drop toxic, you can’t beat some regenvest mons, etc.
This is not my main point tho, because saying that you check a mon by hoping it doesn’t have the right moves it not a good deal imo.

However, I think it’s totally manageable to not let Blacephalon in as often as it wants during a long-term game. You can have a middle counterplay, such as lets say Regenvest Swampert, and Blacephalon needs to koff it (it’s not that easy, because if they misread, Blacephalon is dead), and then weaken it to put it in range of two shadow balls; and hope it hasn’t regen it’s health back in the same time.

In practice, it’s not that hard to do so, but you have to 1) not lose before (=dealing with opposing threats with having a dead weight mon defensively [or a fighting immune if needed but eh]) and 2) bring Blacephalon on the field. It’s poor bulk means it can't come on any attack, so you need to pivote out and bring it on Pokemon it can OHKO. I don't say it's impossible to bring Blacephalon on the field, because we have a lot of great pivots, but it has to be considered when talking of it, because Blacephalon doesn't come on its own on the field.

Also, we should not forgot that even if Blacephalon is fast, it’s not super fast and is actually outspeeded by common threats and scarf users so, even if your opponent has lost their Blacephalon switch in, you can’t sweep (unlike weavile for example) and there is always one-two Pokemon you can’t threaten with Blace due to its speed

Lastly, I’ll briefly mention Sash Blace (and other Blace such as Power Herb Solar Beam) : even if being effective lures and sometimes harder to revenge kill, you lack power without LO or specs to beat common checks and even threaten the ohko on some Pokémon. So I don’t think it makes Blacephalon more broken or annoying, and personnaly, I prefer to face a Sash Blace than a specs one

I should also mention the fact that clicking Mind Blown can always be a risk against Psea users, it doesn’t happen often but you can actually block Blacephalon attacks, which was not the case for Weavile for example

So, to say it shortly, I believe that Blacephalon is one of the strongest Pokemon in the tier, and can actually beat almost every mon in the long-term, but that 'long-term' isn't that easy to reach, and practice being once again different than theory, I think it's manageable to deal with Blacephalon, by not letting it come too often, and by having decent middle grounds and offensive counterplays.

Here is a replay, cuz replays are cool, to show my point :
Terrible MU for MZ right
Despite having Blacephalon, knocking Swampert on turn 17 and basically claiming a kill whenever Blacephalon comes, if it clicks the right move but there was basically no SI, MZ didn't bring Blacephalon as often as he would have liked, and Blacephalon didn't take any kill for 50 turns, despite the lack of SI in Spitfire team.

In addition to that, the poor Win Rate of Blace in wcup proves imo that despite being in theory able to beat everything, good players find ways to manage that and play around, and they actually don't lose much to Blacephalon.

Thanks for reading, have a nice day, except Redflix

Love on y'all, take care, :heart: :heart: :heart:

Last edited:
As a person who has messed around with a lot of theorymons and teambuilding with different mons, I conclude that you have to accept that there will be something that breaks your team. This is not only true for AAA but pretty much every meta in general. Like Iph said, positioning and pivoting are vital, especially in AAA. I don't think this is a bad thing either, unless it's the only thing present in the meta, which is not the case as there are a lot of counterplays, such as Wandering Spirit, Water Absorb, Bulky setup, Slow offense. If a mon just happens to OHKO your entire team clicking only one move and you can't do much about it, that's more due to teambuilding than anything. Something should only be considered broken if it can break everything with minimal team support, which is not the case for the majority of the cases.

Regarding Blacephalon, here are the sets that it can run in my opinion.

Magic Guard | Desolate Land | Sheer Force | Meme | More meme | Even more meme
:ss/Blacephalon:

Blacephalon can run quite a lot of sets, most of them have shared checks / counters to some extent, however it has some ways to make progress. I'll bring up some counterpoints to iapt's argument. While Blace has reliable STABs in that it doesn't miss, those STABs however both have immunities, which makes Blace rely on prediction more than Terra and Lele cause if you Mind Blown into a PSea or Shadow Ball into Bulletproof/Normal, you make no progress at all while Lele and Terra can force the defender to use recovery/pivot to regain HP back. Even if Blace can Knock Off / Toxic against blobs, in the end you still can't really break it without proper team support and you can't exactly afford to stay in against a possible Thunder Wave. Its garbage defenses also means you almost can never switch it in safely unless against Normal/Fighting moves, which in my experience limits it quite a bit. The other 2 are more self sufficient and can still make works even if there's a check, like Terra can Toxic/Megahorn against Mew, Lele can fit Taunt/Psyshock to threaten special walls. Another thing is there's no ability to make you immune to Moonblast or Stone Edge.

With that said, does it have enough counters and checks to make its reliance on teammates a problem? I will name the checks and counters to it.
Offensive (outspeeds and OHKOs or can take 2 hits)
:terrakion: :barraskewda: :landorus-therian: (Scarf) :garchomp: :latios: :latias: :zygarde-10: :azelf: :alakazam: :talonflame: :terrakion: :cinderace: :hydreigon: :tapu koko: (Primordial Sea) :zapdos-galar: (Scarf) :inteleon:
Defensive
Hard checks/counters
:chansey: :blissey: :incineroar: :swampert: :tapu fini: :corviknight: (Flash Fire) :silvally-dragon: :mandibuzz: (Flash Fire) :vaporeon: :blastoise: :milotic: :drampa:
Soft/Conditional checks
:ferrothorn: (Flash Fire) :toxapex: :dragalge: (No Psyshock) :diancie:
And that's just things on the VR. There are more out there that are not bad but haven't been explored yet like Guzzlord, Thundurus, Tyranitar, Mantine, Snorlax, Lanturn. Not to mention, even teams without these but with immunities to both STABs can still maneuver around it. Obviously you need to prepare for it, but there are more than enough sufficient counterplays for Blace, unlike Weavile in the past. Therefore I'm leaning towards no suspect.

:SS/Blacephalon:
A lot of what needs to be said about Blacephalon was already covered but here are some additional thoughts.

- Blacephalon is somewhat hard to build with. It provides no defensive utility whatsoever, which, especially in aaa, is detrimental ; and it doesn't provide speed control either. When you build a team around it you basically want your other 5 mons to have everything a team needs, which isn't the end of the world but it's restrictive enough to be mentioned. Also, since it cannot hard switch into anything, even the weakest walls, and since it usually needs multiple opportunities to make progress, I'd say it requires at least 2 pivoting moves from partners.

- Blacephalon sometimes struggles to actually force out anything, and a well built team makes sure that happens if they have shaky Blace switchins. For example the team I used against Spitfire in world cup makes it hard for it to come in without major chip, which allows shakier counterplay in AV Silv-Dragon. You only want harder Blace answers when you have like Intimidate Corviknight or DShield Mew as your main physical wall - which is still the case quite often, don't get me wrong.

- This was already said but it's important : there are plenty of Blacephalon checks and counters, and this is an understatement - there is almost an unlimited amount. I won't list them wall (the list above is not exhaustive though). And there is sufficient variety in Blace answers for it to be very healthy. Yes it can outlast most of them, otherwise there would be no point in using Blace.

- If a pokemon can outlast almost anything long term with correct positioning I don't think it's a reason to ban it ; on the contrary, I think it's the sign of a healthy and cool pokemon, as it must be said, Blacephalon is cool af.

I would be against a Blacephalon suspect test. Maybe Tapu Lele if anything.

UT

Come one come all, it's happening again
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
I have very much enjoyed the discussion so far, and am glad to see this much high-level metagame discussion! I would like to add my own thoughts, and why I am personally in favor of a suspect test. I do not present this as any kind of definitive proclamation about Blace, but merely my perspective as a player.

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Hasty / Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Mind Blown
- Knock Off
- Toxic

I will be focusing on this set, as I believe it is the best set, and the one most worthy of consideration. I think what makes Blace a cut above our other breakers is its combination of longevity, speed, and power.

Longevity
Most of our breakers rely on damage-amplification abilities and/or Choice items. Blace, due to the absurd base power of Mind Blown and fantastic coverage Ghost/Fire STABs provide, is able to eschew these restrictions on its main set, giving it superior longevity to win longer match ups. Terrakion and Lele, the breakers it is most often compared to, can be limited by hazards and, in Terrakion’s case, Rocky Helmet, meaning that in the race against their checks, they are on a timer. Terrakion and Choiced attackers can also be played around with multiple resists due to Choice lock. Thanks to Magic Guard, the only limiting factor on how often it can switch in is how often you are able to position it, making the longer game significantly more viable for it.

Speed/Anti-Priority
While Blace’s speed tier is not amazing, it compares favorably to other breakers common in the metagame, especially in conjunction with its typing. Blace (with pivoting usually) is able to force out offensive mons such as Lele, Zarude, unboosted Genesect, and offensive Zapdos with some chip. It’s typing comes in handy here as it is resistant to most priority, meaning it is not threatened by either common Lele set (although if you opt for a minus-Defense nature, some of the Grassy Glide rolls can get scary). It also provides the team with a Fighting immunity, which can make playing against Terrakion much more doable.

Power
Its powerful attacking moves, coupled with its utility moves, also present a unique problem when trying to answer it. While I agree it has a significant number of checks, as in mons that can revenge it or switch in a few times over the course of the game, especially with good prediction, I would argue it’s counters are virtually non-existent. Blace is one of the few mons that draws its checks out and cripples them reliably through Knock Off or Toxic so it can beat them later. This is especially problematic given its longevity, as covered above, meaning it is often able to outlast its checks.
AV Swampert is one of the better checks, but after having its Vest Knocked off, Shadow Ball outdamages Regenerator, meaning it needs to cycle faster than Blace does to stay ahead. It will also just lose 20% of the time thanks to Shadow Ball's chance to drop SpD: 252 SpA Life Orb Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 148-175 (36.6 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Blissey is perhaps the most solid answer to Blace, as it is immune to Shadow Ball and threatens to stall out Mind Blown. Magic Guard and Magic Bounce sets also do not care about being Toxiced, but they are extremely passive in front of Blace and are forced to recover when they come in. Regenerator can play more aggressively, but will struggle if Toxiced or having to come in through hazards. Blissey also loses to Sub variants: 252 SpA Life Orb Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Blissey: 250-294 (35 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Flash Fire Mandibuzz is already a niche pick, but even it can struggle to handle Blace when dealing with Toxic and loss of Heavy-Duty Boots; Shadow Ball+Stealth Rock will force Mandibuzz to Roost every time it comes in, preventing it from Defogging and giving momentum to the opponent.

Silvally-Dragon is probably the weakest potential switch-in, as it takes 40% minimum from Shadow Ball after losing Vest. Its U-turn also does not threaten Blace unlike Swampert's Flip Turn, meaning it must choose between attacking and pivoting, which can put it in a bad spot if it guesses wrong.
Closing Thoughts
Ultimately, Blace is able to force progress virtually every time it takes the field, and since it is Magic Guard its number of switch ins are theoretically unlimited in a longer game. While it needs support to get on the field, normally through one of the dozens of pivots common in the metagame, it needs next to no support to actually break the opponent’s team (although hazard support is always appreciated to speed up the process). Whether this is broken or not is subjective; are it’s checks able to slow it down enough to make it balanced? In my opinion no, or at least not definitively enough that I would not personally support a suspect test. But, this is subjective and I welcome further discussion and disagreement! Please feel free to reply to any points you think I have characterized unfairly, oversimplified, or missed!

Also please feel free to reply if you support a suspect test and can articulate why better than I can.
Blacephalon is cool af.
This is the only point I vehemently disagree on, it's creepy and I don't like looking at it.

Last edited:

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Thanks to everyone that participated in the discussion. Accounting for all of the discourse in this thread and within the community Discord, the council conducted a vote and the results are as follows:

Blacephalon Suspect Test (3-0 in favor)
Think - Suspect
The Number Man - Suspect
UT - Suspect

As you can expect (and have probably already seen), the Blacephalon suspect test is now live!

while this suspect is going down, some of you may be asking "what can blaceph do? i mean, mg is the best set, so surely its the only one people would use, right?" no. there are a lot of different blaceph sets, each having their own strengths and weaknesses. i present to you
THE BLACEPHALON COMPENDIUM
UBGUARD (Blacephalon) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off
- Toxic

it's no secret that mg blaceph is good. you've seen ut's post about this set, you know exactly what it can do and why it's so good. but there are MULTIPLE blaceph sets that can use mguard. for example:

UBGUARD-02 (Blacephalon) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Toxic / Calm Mind

now THIS is a set. subtoxic lets blaceph easily wear down its counters in ff mandi and mbounce blissey, while keeping offensive pressure. something else comes in? you get a free sub and can live a hit, which is game changing for something as frail as blacephalon. knock off may be more advisable over sub in some situations, but i think it's required. there's also the option to forego toxic altogether and do subcm. this makes you worse against mandi and incin, but makes it a lot easier to beat blissey 1v1 as most dont carry shadow ball and only have seismic toss for attacking moves.

UBFORCE (Blacephalon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Toxic

it's a similar story to what blaceph does normally with its mglo set, but this time it exchanges mind blown for absolutely insane shadow ball damage. it does 47% minimum to a max spdef pert, 2hkos physdef fini, and makes everything much less safe of a check. there's also the option to run calm mind over toxic making yourself even more unwallable, and if you can get 2 calm minds off in one game, its just lights out for your opponent. this set doesnt come without its drawbacks though, as having mind blown on mglo may be more preferrable, and mglo in general is easier to use. still, blaceph's most dangerous set will always be sflo until it gets banned

UBADAPT (Blacephalon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Toxic

this set has often been called bad and objectively worse than every other blaceph set...because it is, but there's still a redeeming quality here: trick. most of blaceph's standard answers rely on using raw bulk to outlast it. trick absolutely ruins their recovery options, making it easier to spam shadow ball in the lategame. specs in general may be worth considering on mg and sf sets due to trick, letting you cripple the mandi that are trying to beat blaceph 1v1

UBDROUGHT (Blacephalon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off
- Toxic
and now we reach the last blaceph set, the 2nd worst behind adapt specs. the main advantage for this is on very specific ho teams where you don't want to use volc. in general, volc is the biggest adversary to this set, but it still does exist. it does everything a blaceph normally does. not bad, just outclassed

UBwhatthefuck (Blacephalon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Knock Off
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Substitute Toxic Protect Blacephalon. The viability is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical matchups most of the set's glory will go over a typical player's head. There's also Blacephalon's Knock Off, which is deftly woven into its viability- its personal philosophy draws heavily from UnnerfTalonflame literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these sets, to realise that they're not just a meme- they say something deep about VIABILITY. As a consequence people who dislike Substitute Toxic Protect Blacephalon truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Blacephalon's existential catchphrase "Blacephalon fainted!," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Arceuses and Silvallies. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Blacephalon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Substitute Toxic Protect Blacephalon tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 GXE points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel forum

Last edited:
Out of omwc now! Only signed up for this tour as a meme but still got sucked into building aaa again cus its just so fire.
Anyway heres my aaa builder cus i still like posting my teams lmao. I made a few more but deleted them cus they sucked. As u can see by how i arranged the mons every team is like the same structure

:Decidueye: :Heatran: :Mandibuzz::Mew::Mamoswine: :Tapu Fini:
:Zamazenta-Crowned: :Volcarona: :Togekiss::Mew::Garchomp::Vaporeon:
:Diancie: :Blacephalon: :Zarude: :Corviknight: :Garchomp: :Tapu Fini:
:Slowking-Galar: :Heatran::Zapdos::Corviknight: :Garchomp: :Tapu Fini:
:Tapu koko: :Ferrothorn::Zapdos-Galar::Mew::Garchomp::Milotic:
:Marshtomp: :Sneasel: :Chansey: :Pikachu: :Tangela: :Magneton:: )

Ive said it in om cord but it really does feel like an entire "generation" of om players im part of is finally leaving mons after like 4-5 years of fiending tours. Rip to aaa ogs, clanx, good times were had. Its prob time for me to go too (no memes this time).

(also blace is not broken or banworthy btw but fuck it ban it just to spice thinsg up)

Now that France is out of World Cup I might as well immediately share my teams and thoughts on AAA currently. Needless to say that I'm really happy about my 6-0 (or 5-1 depending on how you look at it) record. I think I have a really good grasp on the meta and how teambuilding works right now. This is probably my last post discussing about aaa.

Teams and games
Keep in mind that I can't go through the whole process of making these teams, because 1) I don't have the time and will to do it, and 2) I don't remember everything, far from it. So I'll just explain the general ideas and point details that I feel are worth looking at.

Pools
Vs Spitfire (won) - :corviknight: :genesect: :landorus-therian: :mew: :silvally: :toxapex:
I just knew sub WA Lando-T would beat Spitfire based on his general way of building and knowing that he isn't super familiar with the tier so I tried to build a stallish team that could utilize it. The spread prevents Corv Brave Bird at +1 Def + U-Turn at +2 Def from breaking a sub. Not too much to say in terms of synergy here, the team works quite well. Scarf Bounce Mew adds anti-cheese and additional surprise effect, Primsea Corv beats every Heatran (Heatran being a worry for balance in general). Scarf Regen Genesect truly is great, whenever I'm not sure what to do I just go to it and U-Turn. Toxapex provides additional anti-cheese as well as T-Spikes, that are strong against HO in general, and that annoy most mons that can prevent Lando from winning such as Zarude and IDef Kommo. If your opponent has a way of dealing with Lando consistently, the gameplan is to try outlasting him, especially with the team's strong hazards play.

Lando just won.

Vs MZ (won) - :garchomp: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :slowbro: :tapu bulu: :zapdos:
This is the most sound TNMish team I've used all tournament. It quite fun to use however. I wasn't really sure what to bring vs MZ, I expected something very standart from him, potentially a QT team, potentially HO as well. After trying some ideas I came up with this flying spam team making use of a cheap Bounce Slowbro, since I thought he was quite likely to use Garchomp or Kommo-o or Swampert as his rocker - which he did. Future Sight support is always nice too. The team makes use of two broken things : Zapdos with Sharp Beak boosted Hurricanes, and Para spread by Aerilate Lando Body Slam and Zapdos Thunder. There was a time when Tapu Bulu was about to get suspect tested and it suddenly disappeared, I don't really remember for what reason ; it's still a strong breaker, very hard to switch into, especially since Corv does not answer it reliably. It also has some very nice resists and provides strong priority. MB Tran is probably the best rocker in the game so it only makes sense to use it, especially since it provides nice support for Zapdos both offensively and defensively. A lot more could be said here but yeah that's the general logic of the team. It's however very weak to SFLO Lele, Primsea Weather Ball and Blacephalon, since AV on chomp doesn't help against Blace (just use lefties). Not my favourite one but it works.

Speaking of Blace and Primsea Weather Ball, MZ brought these alongside Regen Chomp and Regen Blissey, the two best Zapdos answers. Preview felt very very bad, and the matchup was indeed almost unwinnable, although he couldn't get up rocks at least. Intim Corv + DS Mew was also bad news for my Lando-T + Bulu core. On turn 14, MZ lets me get a Toxic on his Primarina on the switch, and then Moonblasts on Protect, which I understand (as I predicted it), but it was definitely a choke since Primarina had an easy win with more patient play. Then Zapdos proceeds to paralize Blissey and start spamming Hurricane, which I didn't know would be possible here but I once again underrated Zapdos' brokenness. But that wasn't sufficient since MZ was just Zapdos proof. From here Blacephalon couldve still won quite easily for him, and Prima couldve gotten at least a kill, but MZ proceeds to sacrifice both and lose the game. Most forgettable game of all probably.

Vs Gibraltar (won) - :blissey: :heatran: :hippowdon: :skarmory: :tapu fini: :zapdos:
I didn't know anything about my opponent other than that he was a decent player with no experience in AAA, so I just didn't want to let him any chance and brought this semi-stall team. When playing stall in AAA you have to avoid passiveness at all cost otherwise you just get outlasted by double Regen anyway, so the team is still quite threatening all around with Dland Tran and Zapdos as well as some hazards stacking. Trick Fini and Unaware Hippo make sure I'd never get cheesed, Confide Blissey is for Volcarona. The team can be in trouble against a well supported Blacephalon or some hazards stacking + U-Turn spam, but it's really solid overall.

The stall team Gibraltar brought was a prime example of how you don't want your stall team to look like in AAA. It just crumbled under the pressure of Spikes Skarm + Desoland Tran while not really being able to answer back. He had Taunt Heatran, which could've done a lot more than what it actually did, but he didn't really get to use it that much. The Heatran 1v1 that starts on turn 117 quite noteworthy, since from the end of turn 118 I thought he was faster than me and my Heatran was done for sure, esp after missing 2 Storms in a row ; but it turned out that 1) he just had won 2 speed ties beforehand, 2) he clicked Magma Storm and not Solar Beam, which was probably the correct move, 3) he missed Magma Storm and I hit, 4) I then won the next speed tie and won the 1v1. Truly the most unexpect turn of events I've ever seen in a tournament game.

Vs Racool (lost) (won technically) - :barraskewda: :corviknight: :genesect: :mienshao: :silvally: :swampert:
This one is from motherlove. I didn't test the team too much before the game but I trusted motherlove and I really liked the look of it, even it it wasn't anything crazy. Band Tinted Mienshao is a reliable wincond and pairs really well with both Barraskewda and MGLO Genesect, making a potent pivot spam core. Swampert is one of the most reliable rockers, which is important when using pivot spam. The Corv + Pert + Silv-dragon core is quite standart but works really great here, as Barra helps Silv against Tran and Gene deals with fairies that beat Silv.

The team gets owned by Blace, not much to do about it. It threatens out half the mons, you can't even click a fighting move with Mienshao, otherwise they go Blace and get a kill back, and Silv can't even kill it. Racool's gameplan just worked perfectly, but she didn't even need to weaken Silv with WS Skarm tbf, Blace just had the freest win. Quite a disappointing game already, but it also ended the way it ended...

Tiebreak
Vs Racool (won) - :cinderace: :garchomp: :genesect: :landorus-therian: :mew: :tapu koko:
This is my favourite team of all tournament, maybe of all time. I had made the mistake of underrating Racool the first time we faced, bringing a rather shaky untested team with a really standart structure and cheap wincond, so I had to redeem myself with something more spicy. Guts Mew is really an insane wincond, FF spdef Lando felt like the dream rocker for an offense, dealing with a wide variety of threats amongst which Blacephalon, which is annoying for Mew, and providing a slow U-Turn. DShield Rest Chesto Garchomp ended up being the second sweeper of choice, having very nice defensive utility and surprise effect. Tinted Genesect pairs really well with SD Chomp in general, putting pressure on Corviknight, Fini and other physical walls, and providing a resist to Draining Kiss and Grassy Glide. Explosion allows it to always get at least a trade, even when it can't sweep, which is highly valuable in offense. Then Koko and Cinderace provide really good speed control, pivoting, defensive utility, and overall game control thanks to double Taunt and Court Change. Taunt Cinderace is just insane at keeping their walls low, with sun boosted Pyro Ball being such a strong move. It also has great utility as a hazards changer (which is miles better than removal), Water moves switchin, Genesect and fairies check. I'm pretty sure I discovered this Koko, and dude it's insane, why have we not thought about it yet. Facade just gets clicked over and over again, it 2hkoes physically defensive Swampert, 2hkoes Fini, ohkoes kind of every offensive mon like Zarude and Chomp, and Volt Switch immediately puts most Facade switchins in big trouble alongside rocks. Taunt is really good in general as an anti-cheese measure and not letting bulkier builds breathe. Koko also obviously prevents flying spam from the likes of both Zapdos forms. Yeah the team's just beyond good tbh, I don't think I have ever lost a game with it yet, must be like 10-0 or something.

The game was sadly a pretty easy win, with Koko showing its power and Mew doing its thing, outlasting Toxapex. Not much to say, Racool didn't live up to the expectations here.

Semifinals
Vs Quojova (won) - :corviknight: :excadrill: :swampert: :toxapex: :volcarona: :zarude:
I had been testing some Pressure users for like two weeks prior to this game, and figured it was actually a very strong strategy. Pressure Excadrill is just unmatchedly reliable of a wincond, because it doesn't matter what they use to deal with it, you will ppstall it. And I value that a lot, because most other winconds have hard counters that you don't want to face, which really isn't the case for Pressure Exca. But it also sometimes just wins right off, so it's not just a kind of unrealistic long term idea. Exca was picked over other options because of its hazards resistance, decent speed, STAB with no immunity in Iron Head, good attacking stat (meaning the opponent is actually pressured when you start SDing), and overall good defensive utility, checking stuff like Zapdos and Koko. With that Exca I felt like I could afford more passiveness than I usually allow myself, so I went with that Regen Pert + Regen Corv core with Toxapex in the back. This core does great at just switching around and scouting everything. Volcarona and Zarude aren't special walls but they actually do well at covering the most relevant special threats in the tier in Lele and Blace, while Exca and Swampert cover Zapdos and Koko, Corv covers Azelf, and Toxapex somewhat covers Weather Ball Primsea (Baneful Bunker is here to help for that). FF Zarude also pairs really well with Pressure Excadrill since Exca ppstalls Body Press from Kommo/Corv/Skarm/Tran/Mew for Zarude to win. The team's really solid overall, only thing that needs to be fixed is the Volcarona spread : you want +spdef to actually be a SFLO Lele check.

Indeed, SFLO Lele just happens to ppstall the Volcarona spread I used here, which made the game way harder than it should've been. Quojova did a really good job of permanently keeping up the pressure with Lele, and Exca needed the game to really go the long way to start showing its strenght, since he had WS Helmet Corv + Lefties bulky Tran, which is close to worst case scenario. Going into the details of this complicated game would take too much time, but Quojova made a couple of slight mistakes that I was able to utilize and win a really close one.

Various thoughts

The meta is truly in a great form currently. Nothing stands out as broken, building is pleasant, not too restricted, and offers a lot of room for innovation. Every playstyle is buildable from HO to Stall, passing by Offense, BO, Balance and semi-stall. Please don't overthrow everything with any big ban/unban (Blace ban probably won't change the meta that much if it happens).

Don't use standart predictable stuff in tournament, it's the best way to just lose without being able to do much. I'm surprised at how many braindead BO fat pivot spam teams we saw in this tour; it was somewhat disappointing, and I feel like they generally did bad. Find some new ideas, make use of surprise effect, that's definitely the easiest and most reliable way of winning in AAA. Don't expect your opponent to be weak to sflo Lele when litterally everyone uses that at the same time, cause he more than likely won't be. Don't get used to using the same defensive cores over and over again, it just makes you tunnel view on a building style when there are many other ways to look at building. Teambuilding is an art that I myself have only scratched the surface of. If you look at it just in terms of having some breakers with good synergy and covering some threats with bulky mons, you're missing pretty much everything of it. If you just stack threats hoping your opponent will be weak to one of them, you're not there yet. If you're not trying to already win games from the builder you're not there yet.

Meta trends :
:silvally: :swampert: :jirachi: RegenVesters clearly aren't great since they lose to Blace and Azelf, mons that they would love to deal with since their whole point is taking very strong BP moves.
:blissey: On the contrary, Blissey is probably better than ever, the Regen variant being able to deal with stuff like Lele, Zapdos and Blace very consistently, but also any random special attacker really. The Magic Guard variant with Leftovers is also great, notably dealing with Heatran, sflo Lele and Blacephalon a lot more consistently while still answering Zapdos decently thanks to Lefties. Bounce is still a thing obviously but I've never been a fan of it, especially since most rockers attack on the physical side, and Heatran runs Mold Breaker a lot.
:zapdos: Zapdos is probably bond to be at least A+ if not S tier in this setup. It has stunning defensive utility while also being able to pivot and being extremely threatening to a lot of teams. Being well prepared for Zapdos isn't easy, far from it. There is now a consensus that the offensive fast set is the best one, with various movesets, most commonly Thunder/Hurricane/U-Turn/Roost or Hurricane/Weather Ball/Volt Switch/Roost ; Toxic and Defog also being options depending on your team.
:mew: I've never been a fan of DShield Mew, but it has shown its inconsistency in World Cup, seing high usage yet subpar results ; being useless most of the time like here or here or here or here, or sometimes just failing to beat the physical threats because they have U-Turn/Toxic. Other Mew sets are a lot more proactive while also dealing decently with the stuff that DShield aims to answer, most importantly Scarf Regen (or just Regen in general although I've never seen scarfless Regen). I think Prankster Mew is something to explore too.
:garchomp: The best Garchomp set by far imo, and the one that makes it potentially A+ (or even S I'd say) is SD specially defensive Regen with Lefties, EQ + Edge and either Rocks or Substitute. It's very hard to deal with and has insane defensive utility in beating Zapdos and Blacephalon quite consistently (although if your team needs it to beat Zapdos badly you might need Toxic). Sub allows it to beat Corv and some Mew sets. Fini really doesn't work against it whatsoever, Moonblast doing like 40. Other than Ice Beam Mew there isn't much that can stop it consistently. Tinted SD is real btw.
:tapu koko: Koko now has a physical set that I feel will see good usage, making it even tougher to answer than it was before. I doubt it will ever be banworthy, but it's definitely A+/S material as well.
:terrakion: :mienshao: :heracross: :cinderace: Tinted physical breakers without U-Turn (Terrakion and Heracross) are decent but extremely fishy and annoying because you can't really account for them sometimes. Those with U-Turn (Mienshao and Cinderace) however are pretty cool and consistent. They didn't really see use in this tournament but they should have imo.
:togekiss: :tapu lele: Interesting that we saw very low Triage Togekiss/Lele usage, and indeed they're not very good currently, mostly because their priority doesn't work against the main breakers of the tier, but also because they struggle too much to sweep teams in general. They're still both fine however, Lele still being able to break teams (I'm not a fan of it personnally), and Togekiss providing very useful defensive utility.
:landorus-therian: The Landorus-T agenda is real. Jokes aside, it saw high usage and very high winrate in this tour, and I think it's bond to end up in the A+ or S tier some day. There are just too many great Lando-T sets : Scarf + Regen/Aerilate/Wandering Spirit/Dazzling, Regen/Flash Fire/Aerilate/whatever + SD/BU (+ potentially Sub), defensive Regen/Flash Fire/other, Dazzling + double dance, etc. The possibilities are immense, and we saw an extent of that in World Cup.
:moltres-galar: I just put gmolt sprite to prank Chazm. Never used it, no idea what to think of it. :]
:latios: :latias: Interesting that no one gave a try to Tinted/Adapt Latios or MGLO Latias, I'm not sure why. Both of them are really strong and consistent.
:cinderace: I'm a huge fan of Cinderace currently, especially the Boots Desolate Land set with Taunt. Extremely strong, consistent, good defensive utility, very solid pivoting since you can somewhat predict from the builder what will come in on it.
:zapdos-galar: I don't think there's much reason to use MGLO Zapdos-G currently with such high Zapdos and Koko usage. Scarf Regen is still a good set.
:azelf: Azelf only saw 2 uses ?! I completely disagree with the stats, still a prime pivot/speed control imo.

I could go on for a while but I'll stop here. As I said, shoutouts later.

Last edited:

UT

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Good morning everyone, lots of exciting AAA news on the heels of the Blace ban.

Sample submissions are now open!
As we move into a post-Blace world, we're going to open up sample submissions for about a week to get some more updated teams. If you have any teams that you think are well adapted to the current meta without Blace, please submit them! This is going to be a short submission period, we will open up samples again once the meta has settled a little more. In order to kick things off (and not double post), I have a submission of my own!
:tapu-bulu: :swampert: :terrakion: :genesect: :corviknight: :zapdos: This team is centered around the core of Tapu Bulu and Terrakion, both fearsome breakers that aim to overload and break through the opponents physical walls. Bulu also doubles as a fantastic win condition once physical walls are weakened or eliminated, something Terrakion is great at doing. Download Terrakion, when the attack boost is procced, is about 12% stronger than Adaptability, which allows it to reliably break through several would be checks like Intimidate Corv, and with a team of 4 pivots, it's not hard to get the right boost. Regen Gene is a great soft check to the special attackers Swampert cannot handle like Lele, Zapdos is a compromise between 3 Attack Zapdos (shoutout The Number Man for convincing me that's good again) and pivoting Zapdos, and Corv is a physical catch-all.
Viability Rankings Update Postponed!
Due to the expected meta shifts upcoming, we will be postponing the planned VR update. This is still a high-priority item that we hope to do soon, but it is not imminent. On a related note, if you see any mons that are overrated or underrated on the VR, please post nominations to the resources thread! We are always looking for community feedback on these. Speaking of wanting to hear from you...

The AAA Tiering Survey is now live!
We really want to hear from you! If you are at all interested in the AAA metagame, please fill out this survey to give us your thoughts on the state of the metagame, some controversial mons (including Genesect, Kommo-o, and more!) and even if there is anything you want to suspect test down! The survery will be up for one month, so please fill it out when you have the time! It only takes a few minutes, unless you want to go crazy on the short answers I guess. Lastly...

Please welcome our newest AAA Councilmember...
Rick Astley himself!
rick-roll-rick-ashley.gif

Actually it's Osake. Congratulations, and welcome to the council, we are excited to have you!

That's all! Give us your sample teams, fill out the survey, congratulate our now council member, and keep enjoying AAA!

Last edited:
Sample Submission: :tapu koko:-:garchomp:-:genesect:-:kommo-o:-:azelf:-:togekiss: classic broken HO but with guts facade gene this time, guts gene can either sweep a lot of the time or weaken mons like corv(for garchomp) and dshield mew(for kommo and chomp). Skill Link Garchomp breaks through a lot of the meta and can weaken things for both gene and kommo. Kommo is generally broken and just sweeps a lot of the time. Azelf provides much needed speed control and anti-priority(you have to play smartly with azelf+triage kiss but its very doable).

Last edited:

Grim_Blazer

Banned deucer.
Sample Submission: :tapu koko: :charizard: :primarina: :genesect: :azelf: :zarude:
More HO with drumburden zard, this is an improved version of the team I posted a while back and idk if it's worthy of being a sample team but it's worth a try. Since I already talked about a previous iteration of the team in another post I'll only cover the newcomers in this one.
:primarina: Primarina is a beast and hydro pump pretty much ohkos everything, it pairs well with gene too since the paras it spreads allow prima to do funky things.
:zarude: The only other newcomer here is Zarude, I got rid of volcarona since it didn't really do much and now I am in desperate need of an answer for bara. Zarude is mainly here for that and other misc. water mons, though it is very solid and pairs pretty well with azelf so I chose him instead of another bara check.

Last edited:

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Sample Submission: :azelf:-:terrakion:-:swampert:-:zarude:-:zapdos:-:corviknight:
Pretty simple balance/BO team. Swampert, Zapdos, And Corviknight form a pretty solid defensive core and can pivot in your 3 strong breakers, who can also generate momentum. I used to use Sniper Terrakion, but found the standard Choice Band set to be the most consistent. I've used this team for a while, but it had a pretty bad Blacephalon matchup, so I'm excited to use and improve it post ban.

Hello my AAA friends, its time to drop some teams and thoughts on the meta after WC and OM champs.

Kommo + WA Nido team
1640941494946.png

I gave this team to Quag to use in the pools phase of Wcoom. I think i wanted to abuse Moldytran + Nido as progress makers for either Kommo to win or Koko to clean up lategame.

Tinted Laddios paraspam
1640941641422.png

This is the team quag used in WC finals. The idea here is Paraspam (Twave bliss + NG gene) helps both Lati and Kiss win more effectively. Additionally, Tinted Lati can lure stuff like scarf rachi/genesect/spd tran for togekiss.

Recently my AAA trends have been Entei and Pixilate Koko. You'll see a bunch of both sets in the following teams. Teams I used or considered using in champs playoffs:
1640941858926.png

First off, the finals teams. I knew I wanted some type of fairy priority - so it was either Pixtei or Draining Kiss. I built out both concepts: Pixilate Entei and Triage Dia to abuse Chazms Goltres + Kommo tendencies. Triage Dia pairs well with Tinted Lati and NG Gene since they lures spd steel. I added pex for some extra insurance vs setup and finished the team off with landobliss regen. Nothing crazy, except itemless gene to counter dhelmise lol.

The entei team i am more proud of. I theorymonned the resto-chesto curse entei set cause it gives you 2 chances to sweep and itemless grass resists are particularly good vs chazm given his dhelmise usage. Given that it doesnt break fini that well i wanted to pair it with Toxic chomp to put permanent progress on it. The hazard weakness is covered by the hazard control pair of Corv + Bounce Koko. Speaking of the latter, the mon is great rn i feel, with rocks kommo being so prevalent. I added DesoTran because I feel like Fire types tend to work best in pairs - one Deso and one something else, unless you're running mono BProof/Moldy Tran. In this case Tran pressures AV pert + Zapdos teams, since it puts zapdos on a timer to bring it into Entei espeed range. Last, I added scarf regen mew - the goat set. And since my mew acts as a slowpivot I was able to make Koko CM instead of uturn, which gave me an additional wincon and did alot of work in the actual game.

Vs panda and quag i brought pixi koko teams. I think the one i used vs quag is better, i love that team. Feels like zarude + koko form a great breaking pair and the team has all the tools to support them as well as possible. The one i brought vs panda is built around the idea that vape can keep ferro/lando and occasionally koko topped off with wishes while koko tries to break and Volcarona wins.

Vs QT i wanted to bring a subcurse deso entei team. I think the other one might have been a better bring, but I also didnt play that game very well as the MU was still winnable. Anyway the Zapdos team is a Kommo + Pert BO, with the idea that entei can cripple its own checks in order to sweep, supported by p much the whole team - kommo can toxic stuff, zap is zap, dhelmise breaks, rachi can trick stuff. The other team is more defensive, again with bounce Koko to win the hazard game.

And since i built a bunch of entei teams cause i wanted to explore the mon (its really underrated btw, give it a try) here's some more entei teams:

https://pokepast.es/4b1e899209a2929a

See you around!

Anyone has an idea of dealing w/ corviknight? It's bulk, resistance and access to u-turn and intimidate is extremely annoying to me, whatever is walled by it is pretty much perma walled by it, and since it have u-turn it can't really be taken advantage of either, winning corvi right now seems to just be bringing 6 pokemons that beats corvi, fish for hard mu pokemons that beats corvi and all his teammates or pray that the corvi user makes a mistake. None of those solutions are really valid and I want to know if there is a way to straight up punish corvis for their switching in to block half of the meta?

UT

Appeals + C&C Lead

Corviknight is a really great physical check and roll compressor in AAA, and is first in usage for a reason. However, despite all its strengths, there are a few different ways to beat it consistently. I will highlight a few of them real quick.

Chip it down over time
Since Corv is virtually never running regenerator, and in fact usually needs an ability like Intimidate to check what it is supposed to check, that means to recover HP it needs to take a turn to Roost, and that is exploitable. If you use a rock setter the Corv cannot come in on, like Heatran, that means that it has to choose between Roosting and Defogging when it comes in. If the things on your team that are checked by Corv have a pivoting move themselves, you can click that as Corv comes in, make it take rocks+chip, and prevent it from Roosting by pivoting to something that forces it out. If your mon doesn’t have a pivoting move, but Rocks are up, you can do the same thing with a double switch. Do this 2-3 times and now Corv is at half health and likely can no longer check your physical attackers.

Overload it
There are a number of mons that Corv can check, but just barely, and it loses a ton of HP in the process. Stacking two of these breakers together means that in the process of checking one of them, Corv is now unable to check the other. The sample submission I posted is an example of this, as I can use Bulu to cripple Corv, and then Terrakion is free to break past it. Other mons Corv can be hard pressed to check more than one of are Banded Tough Claws Zarude, Banded Dhelmise, and Zapdos-Galar.

Lure it
The last and most direct way to beat Corv is to use a lure; a set on a Mon that Corv usually checks, but loses to in this case. Stuff like Galvanize Garchomp and Aerilate Lando-T are the kinds of mons that Corv will quickly switch into, only to find itself crippled or KOed by Swords Dance+Body Slam/Explosion, respectively. Lures are generally the least preferred method to handle Corv since lure sets are suboptimal if you load into a team where it isn’t present.

I hope that gives you some ideas on how to better handle Corv, and if you have any follow up questions, please feel free to ask!

tagging QY_CS cause I forgot to reply directly to you

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)